Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)

Read 166669 times
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Re: Joe Gomez Player Thread
      Reply #345: Jul 30, 2017 04:29:24 am
      Very impressive from the last night game as he played full 90 mins mostly at right back. Big surprise for me as he looked much lean and fast. I'm confident he will be useful for us this season and hopefully Klopp not loan him out.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #346: Jul 30, 2017 07:15:10 pm
      If we bring in a proper 1st team quality CB then I am ok with him going out on loan to a top championship or lower level premiership team if he is assured of getting games.
      If not or he shows that he is above klaven in the pecking order, then delighted for him to stay and be given the opportunities.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #347: Jul 31, 2017 08:13:09 pm
      Read an article on Empire of the Kop today where they said they always thought Gomez 'looked slight'.

What the F**k are those guys on?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #348: Aug 01, 2017 01:16:19 am
      Is he injured again?
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #349: Aug 28, 2017 05:56:37 pm
      Thought Joe had a decent game yesterday.

Hope he develops to be a hell of a player.

Think he's better as a full back than a center back.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #350: Aug 28, 2017 08:10:46 pm
      Thought Joe had a decent game yesterday.

Hope he develops to be a hell of a player.

Think he's better as a full back than a center back.

He got caught wrong side once got booked then sorted it out and had a very good game.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #351: Aug 28, 2017 08:42:50 pm
      After getting caught out by Ramsay and I'm glad he took the yellow for the team, he really knuckled down and even got an assist.
      You can see he is not a natural at FB but this will be a great learning experience for him when he eventually steps up for the CB position.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #352: Aug 28, 2017 09:27:15 pm
      After getting caught out by Ramsay and I'm glad he took the yellow for the team, he really knuckled down and even got an assist.
      You can see he is not a natural at FB but this will be a great learning experience for him when he eventually steps up for the CB position.

Did Carra no harm to learn the ropes at full back. Think there is a very good player on our hands here and I'd actually say within 2 years he will be a regular in the side.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #353: Aug 30, 2017 10:30:50 pm
      « Last Edit: Aug 31, 2017 01:52:13 am by JD »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #354: Aug 30, 2017 10:49:55 pm
      Did Carra no harm to learn the ropes at full back. Think there is a very good player on our hands here and I'd actually say within 2 years he will be a regular in the side.

Apart from that little episode around Dec 2000 during the home game against Southampton!!

To be fair to Gomez here, he's a lot better on the ball and a lot more adventurous than Carra ever was at right back.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #355: Aug 30, 2017 10:56:55 pm
      Apart from that little episode around Dec 2000 during the home game against Southampton!!

To be fair to Gomez here, he's a lot better on the ball and a lot more adventurous than Carra ever was at right back.

Most vivid memory of Carra at right back was when he broke his leg against Blackburn in 2003. Wince inducing moment that was. Something about those Lancashire cu*ts and leg breaks as Cisse did the same a year later.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #356: Aug 31, 2017 01:15:24 am
      Been named the England U-21 captain:

Joe Gomez named new England U21s captain

Joe Gomez has been appointed England U21s captain for their upcoming 2019 European Championship qualifying campaign.

Liverpool defender Gomez was named the Young Lions' new skipper on Wednesday, ahead of their opening match against the Netherlands at Doetinchem's Stadion De Vijverberg on Friday.

England boss Aidy Boothroyd confirmed Gomez will lead his side throughout the qualification process for the tournament in Italy and San Marino.

On handing the armband to the 20-year-old, Boothroyd said: "I've decided it'll be Joe Gomez because he's a senior player, he's won the Euro title at U17 level and he's a little bit more worldy-wise than the other boys.

"Having had a long-term injury and coming through that and then getting back into the Liverpool first team says a bit about him, I think.

"He's just one of those blokes who you think 'I could be in the trenches with you' and he's well respected in the group, so he would be the one."

Gomez has started two of the Reds' opening three matches of the new Premier League season.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/273715-joe-gomez-named-new-england-u21s-captain
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #357: Aug 31, 2017 07:17:42 am
      Been named the England U-21 captain:

Joe Gomez named new England U21s captain

Joe Gomez has been appointed England U21s captain for their upcoming 2019 European Championship qualifying campaign.

Liverpool defender Gomez was named the Young Lions' new skipper on Wednesday, ahead of their opening match against the Netherlands at Doetinchem's Stadion De Vijverberg on Friday.

England boss Aidy Boothroyd confirmed Gomez will lead his side throughout the qualification process for the tournament in Italy and San Marino.

On handing the armband to the 20-year-old, Boothroyd said: "I've decided it'll be Joe Gomez because he's a senior player, he's won the Euro title at U17 level and he's a little bit more worldy-wise than the other boys.

"Having had a long-term injury and coming through that and then getting back into the Liverpool first team says a bit about him, I think.

"He's just one of those blokes who you think 'I could be in the trenches with you' and he's well respected in the group, so he would be the one."

Gomez has started two of the Reds' opening three matches of the new Premier League season.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/273715-joe-gomez-named-new-england-u21s-captain

Well done Joe.

I'm one of those that think you're better defensively then Trent. Trent is the modern right-back and he's good, not saying otherwise but with our leaky defense I think that Gomez is the better option. Rotation between themselves will be good for both players.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #358: Aug 31, 2017 07:26:21 am
      This kid is the real deal
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #359: Aug 31, 2017 10:20:48 am
       Cracking news for the lad. Congrats to him. Ive a lot of time for Joe
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #360: Sep 01, 2017 02:14:52 am

Agreed. Thinking he might be ahead of TAA in the pecking order after that performance. Looked solid as a rock defensively, still got up the pitch and was able to put in some decent crosses especially that one for Bobby to score.

Think he's better defensively then both TAA and Clyne. Don't know where Clyne fits in the side anymore.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #361: Sep 01, 2017 04:13:17 pm
      First game as U21 captain. KO at 5. It's on freeview channel 95. Solanke starting as well.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #362: Sep 01, 2017 04:30:02 pm
      All I want is that he gets through this with no injury. Easier said than done when you're managed by under qualified charlatans like Aidy Boothroyd. Same goes for our couple in Southgate's seniors.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #363: Sep 01, 2017 04:34:37 pm
      Agreed. Thinking he might be ahead of TAA in the pecking order after that performance. Looked solid as a rock defensively, still got up the pitch and was able to put in some decent crosses especially that one for Bobby to score.

Think he's better defensively then both TAA and Clyne. Don't know where Clyne fits in the side anymore.

Try him on the left and let TAA and Gomez take care of the right.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #364: Sep 01, 2017 05:00:40 pm

Yeah I was wondering this, but honestly I'd rather play Moreno or Robertson. natural left footed defenders.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #365: Sep 01, 2017 05:14:47 pm

I think Klopp trusts him to be playing where he is playing but I think it is a short term thing.

If Clyne was healthy you would see Gomez getting minutes at CB where his long term future lies..in the meantime him playing on the right is a great way to learn how to play from the back once he makes the final move to CB.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #366: Sep 01, 2017 05:52:06 pm
      Just getting ready to say the same thing. I haven't been as critical of this window due to believing our youngsters will provide a lot of the help these next few years. Hell, Joe and TAA are doing it now. I really can't wait to see Matip and Joe playing CB together. Hope we do for a game or two this season.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #367: Sep 01, 2017 06:01:46 pm
      Post Arsenal game hug from the gaffer.

I think he trusts him ;D

https://youtu.be/T70vGyWru4c?t=557

Quick Reply