Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)

Read 166715 times
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Re: Joe Gomez Player Thread
      Reply #483: Aug 29, 2018 06:57:30 am
      I wanted him partnering VDV last season, I think heā€™s quality.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #484: Aug 30, 2018 02:11:16 pm
      Barring injury, I don't think Lovren has a chance at becoming our regular starter again. Joe has been outstanding and should only improve. Sky is the limit for him.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11485050/joe-gomez-making-central-berth-his-own-with-virgil-van-dijk-at-liverpool

Joe Gomez making centre-back berth his own with Virgil van Dijk at Liverpool
      Joe Gomez has shone alongside Virgil van Dijk this season
      Nick Wright
      Comment and Analysis @nicholaspwright

Joe Gomez is making the most of his chance in the centre of Liverpool's defence. With help from Jason Euell, his mentor at boyhood club Charlton Athletic, Nick Wright finds out how he was always destined to shine in the middle - once he ironed out a surprising flaw.

There were more plaudits for Virgil van Dijk as Liverpool continued their perfect start to the season against Brighton on Saturday. The Dutchman has been outstanding lately, helping Liverpool keep three consecutive clean sheets for the first time in over a year, but his introduction to their back four predates the recent improvement. It's Joe Gomez who has brought them something different.

Of course, Gomez is no newcomer. This is his fourth season at Liverpool. In between the injuries which dogged the first three, there were 29 Premier League starts. But none of them came in his preferred position. No matter how much Liverpool's central defenders struggled, Gomez remained at right-back. Under Brendan Rodgers, he even played on the left.

Gomez never complained, showing impressive versatility and applying himself in every position, but his patience has paid off now. With an uninterrupted pre-season behind him and with Dejan Lovren sidelined by injury, he has played every minute alongside Van Dijk.

Gomez's assured performances are a major positive for JĆ¼rgen Klopp, who made his intentions clear when he rejected suggestions that an injury to Joel Matip could force Liverpool back into the transfer market in July. "When you see Joe Gomez in that role tonight as a central defender, he combines a lot of things you don't find in the transfer market," he said.

It was a clear show of faith from Klopp, and there was another when he allowed Ragnar Klavan to join Cagliari two weeks later. Gomez, emboldened by his manager's trust, has grasped his opportunity. With the Ā£67m Alisson Becker directing proceedings in goal, Liverpool's defensive unit looks stronger than it ever has under Klopp.

JĆ¼rgen Klopp has been delighted by Joe Gomez's impact
      JĆ¼rgen Klopp has been delighted by Joe Gomez's impact
      For the London-born Gomez, who came through the youth ranks at Charlton Athletic, the transition from full-back to centre-back is a familiar one. During the 2014/15 season - the breakthrough campaign which prompted Liverpool to take him to Anfield - Gomez's 21 Championship appearances were split across both positions.

"He was always going to be a centre-back," Jason Euell, a youth coach at Charlton since 2012, tells Sky Sports. "But he had the option to play at right-back because he's athletic enough to do that role. And when he gets into the final third, he has the quality as well. He's technically very good, so it all adds up. Playing in different positions has helped his game."

Gomez's combination of athleticism and technical quality served him well at right-back, and it has been the same story in the centre. Gomez has completed 90 per cent of his passes this season. In the first half of the recent win over Crystal Palace, he could be seen outpacing Wilfried Zaha. According to Premier League tracking data, Gomez has clocked the highest top speed of any Liverpool player this season.

34.29km/h - Joe Gomez registered the highest top speed by any Liverpool player this season during last Monday's 2-0 win over Crystal Palace.

In a team which contains Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane, it's no mean feat. "Joe was always physically advanced at a young age," says Euell. "He was one of those where his body was in line with his growth. Some boys shoot up quickly and become a little bit gangly, but his body kept pace with his growth."

He can thank good genes for his speed and power, but other elements of his game did not come so naturally. Gomez was always expected to go on to big things in Charlton's excellent youth academy, but in order to make it as a centre-back, it was vital for him to improve his heading ability.

"We're very strong on creating pathways for our young players at Charlton, so with Joe it was only really a matter of time until he stepped up, but that was one of those things that probably would have stunted his progression," says Euell.

"Paul Hart, our academy director at the time, used to drill it into him. 'If you're going to play at centre-half, you're going to have to head the ball, and you're going to have to be better at heading it.' He knew how good Joe was on the ground with his feet, but he kept emphasising that if he wanted to step up to the first-team, he was going to have to head it better."

It may seem surprising that a player of Gomez's stature was reluctant to head the ball, but from a young age his inclination was always to get it down and play.

Even when he had time and space, he was told to go and head it, just to get into the habit.
      Jason Euell on Joe Gomez

"When you're coming up through the academy system, you're not playing against 6ft 4ins centre-forwards where the ball gets knocked up long," says Euell. "Yes, you are going to have some aerial challenges, but not nearly as frequently as in men's football.

"It was a habit that he had to develop. He had the ability to read the flight of the ball and pick up loose balls, so sometimes he would just use his body to put the player off or even chest it down, but he had to be encouraged to just go and head the ball. Even when he had time and space, he was told to go and head it, just to get into the habit.

"It was about training it, but even if you have all that repetition with certain drills in the week, you only get the realness when you're playing games. Paul Hart wanted our defenders to defend, so it was about making sure that in games, when there were opportunities to head it, he went and did it. It's what he needed to go to the next level."

Gomez embraced the challenge and the fruits of all that extra work are obvious now. Against Brighton on Saturday, he coped impressively with an aerial bombardment. "Joe has been very good and today was a big test," said Klopp afterwards. "Obviously Brighton thought 'let's pick Joe Gomez for the long ball challenge with [Glenn] Murray' and Joe did really well."

The statistics prove it. Brighton deliberately directed their long balls away from Van Dijk, who had dominated Crystal Palace's Christian Benteke in Liverpool's win at Selhurst Park five days earlier, but Gomez's response was to win more aerial duels than anyone else on the pitch.

Gomez's commanding performances are a source of pride for everyone back at Charlton, including Euell. The former forward only coached Gomez briefly at U16 level, but away from the pitch he acted as a mentor. And like many others at the club, he was always struck by the youngster's maturity.

"Nobody at Charlton could say a bad word about him," he says. "He was a well-mannered and very humble boy. I think Manchester City were the first big club to really be talked about as showing an interest in him, in January of that season. I remember speaking about it with him and Andre Bikey, who we had in defence at the time, but we didn't need to tell him much because he knew it was down to him to make those decisions.

"He knew he was an asset and the club would probably sell him, but he was saying he didn't want to go to a bigger club after half a season in the Championship and play in their U23s. He felt that wasn't going to help him. He was in a good place playing men's football, so why change?

"The move didn't go through in January in the end, so when he did go to Liverpool in the summer, it went how he had wanted. That's Joe. He was always very thoughtful in terms of his career and what he wanted to do. He was never trying to get ahead of himself."

His thoughtfulness and maturity have been invaluable attributes at Liverpool. They helped him through the long period on the sidelines which followed his cruciate injury in 2015, and they helped him understand why playing at full-back was just another step in his development.

"He knows he's in a good place and at a good club," says Euell. "Even when he had the injury, or when he went into the team as a right-back under Klopp, his attitude has always been, 'No matter what, I'm learning'. Whether he's injured, he's playing at right-back or centre-back, he's always thinking about what he's learning."

It's with that attitude that he has approached his new centre-back partnership with Van Dijk. Gomez has described the Dutchman as a "big brother" figure - "Hopefully I can keep learning from him and keep progressing," he said recently - and the admiration is mutual.

"I was not really worried to be fair," said Van Dijk when asked about Gomez's move to centre-back earlier this season. "I have a very good relationship with him, a very good understanding outside of the pitch as well. That helps and hopefully we can build something."

Three games and three clean sheets later, it certainly seems as though the foundations after coming together. Gomez has had to be patient, but he's central to Liverpool now. Recent evidence suggests he's here to stay.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #485: Sep 01, 2018 09:23:35 pm
      Great performance v Leicester today.

Partnered brilliantly with Virgil .     

MOTM . Stats were mighty impressive.
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #486: Sep 01, 2018 10:50:06 pm
      Partnered brilliantly with Virgil .     

Also saved his skin in the process today  ;). Brilliant performance.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #487: Sep 01, 2018 10:57:37 pm
      VDV and Gomez together for the next 10 years please.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #488: Sep 03, 2018 05:48:52 am
      MY MOTM. A Brilliant display.

Lovren might have to sit on the pine for a while if Joe keeps this up.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #489: Sep 03, 2018 08:58:32 pm
      Been one of our best players so far this season, possibly the best. No sign of the occasional positional lapses he showed last season, seems to be learning (and has a partner who will help him by letting him know what he should/shouldn't be doing). Deserves to stay first choice on current form.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #490: Sep 03, 2018 09:09:37 pm
      Hansen and Lawro may well become our second best partnership if these two continue to improve game after game and Lovren is never going to get in whilst they are both fit
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #491: Sep 03, 2018 09:13:38 pm
      Hansen and Lawro may well become our second best partnership if these two continue to improve game after game and Lovren is never going to get in whilst they are both fit

He's got some big tests ahead against the stronger sides, but if he does as well as he has so far, his confidence will really soar.

So composed, both on the ball and in his defensive duties.

No doubt he'll still make the odd positional mistake, which I thought was a weakness he needed to work on, but he's turning into a cracking CB.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #492: Sep 03, 2018 09:22:19 pm
      He's got some big tests ahead against the stronger sides, but if he does as well as he has so far, his confidence will really soar.

So composed, both on the ball and in his defensive duties.

No doubt he'll still make the odd positional mistake, which I thought was a weakness he needed to work on, but he's turning into a cracking CB.

I think Klopp is an excellent manager but has there been a better coach of players he seems to take them all on to a much higher level.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #493: Sep 03, 2018 09:26:13 pm
      We all know he was signed as a centre back and i have to say he has been phenomenal so far this Season. I really hope he continues this rich vein of form and cements himself as a regular starter alongside van Dijk. Never really fancied him at full back, he never really looked comfortable there and it is plain to see he is much happier in the middle.

I am really happy with our defensive unit now and long may it continue.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #494: Sep 03, 2018 09:36:14 pm
      I think Klopp is an excellent manager but has there been a better coach of players he seems to take them all on to a much higher level.

Not since the days of Shanks and Paisley anyway.

Rafa was a tactical coach and players have credited him for teaching them a lot, but Klopp seems to improve every facet of a players game.

There's no manager in world football I'd rather have.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #495: Sep 04, 2018 10:07:00 am
      Not to sure how well he is playing at centre back... Lovren looked massive for his country in the WC, and I was looking forward to him coming back and resuming his partnership with VVD...

He has not overly impressed me at CB, if truth be told...

Could be wrong on this and he is just keeping things simple and not complicated things, a bit like Claude Makelele did in midfield for Chelsea. If so that is only a good thing for us (LFC)

Did think that in the Leicester City game that once TAA came off and he when to RB he looked more relaxed and self assured.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #496: Sep 04, 2018 10:14:44 am
      Not to sure how well he is playing at centre back... Lovren looked massive for his country in the WC, and I was looking forward to him coming back and resuming his partnership with VVD...

Could be wrong on this and he is just keeping things simple and not complicated things, a bit like Claude Makelele did in midfield for Chelsea. If so that is only a good thing for us (LFC)

Did think that in the Leicester City game that once TAA came off and he when to RB he looked more relaxed and self assured.

So crucial last second tackles, good command of the area, tracking runners, very pacey, solid tackling and heading aren't impressive to you then, is it more the watching the ball sail over a defenders head that gets your juices pumping?
      I honestly think some posters on here either don't watch the games or are on a wind up. Joe has been superb for us so far, in fact against Leicester he was probably even better than VVD.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #497: Sep 04, 2018 10:16:37 am
      We all know he was signed as a centre back and i have to say he has been phenomenal so far this Season. I really hope he continues this rich vein of form and cements himself as a regular starter alongside van Dijk. Never really fancied him at full back, he never really looked comfortable there and it is plain to see he is much happier in the middle.

I am really happy with our defensive unit now and long may it continue.

Itā€™s weird isnā€™t it - his biggest ā€œweaknessā€ at fb was getting caught under the ball...........especiall y relatively hopeful diagonals. It actually hurt us a few times last season - especially pre Xmas.

Whilst - logically - the diagonal is less of an issue at CB he just seems so much more comfortable and assured of the ā€œreal estateā€ in the middle.

Smashing prospect and crucially - more so with JĆ¼rgen - seems like an excellent character / personality.

Keep it up kid.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #498: Sep 04, 2018 10:45:03 am

If he hasnā€™t impressed you at CB then Iā€™m not sure what games you have been watching - he has been superb , just look at the highlights MOTD showed the over day. Everything about his game is very good right now
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #499: Sep 04, 2018 11:34:04 am
      So crucial last second tackles, good command of the area, tracking runners, very pacey, solid tackling and heading aren't impressive to you then, is it more the watching the ball sail over a defenders head that gets your juices pumping?
      I honestly think some posters on here either don't watch the games or are on a wind up. Joe has been superb for us so far, in fact against Leicester he was probably even better than VVD.
      heimdall, I am not say those thing were not good and welcomed, What I was trying to say was that he did not (in my eyes) look comfortable or self assured in that position. He looked more comfortable when asked to play in the RB position, and more assured...

But I also added that I could be misjudging things
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #500: Sep 04, 2018 11:47:27 am
      I only read the first part of your post, and just read this upon replying to it

If I had not seen the game then yes I can understand the comment... Everyone notices different things in games, and not everyone things that certain players do enough,or that player does everything right... I merely pointed out that for me, he looked a bit uncomfortable in that position,, and a lot more comfortable when playing right back...

He has not really had a stern test at CB as yet. Remember Leicester City was without thier Greyhound, Vardy... I am not writing off as a CB but lets see how he does against Spurs and Chelsea before we all start hailing him as the second coming

But for the third time... I could be wrong
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #501: Sep 04, 2018 01:00:18 pm
      I said for a long time Gomez should be Center back. Full back isn't as natural to him, it's like his secondary role. I'm glad people are agreeing with me on Gomez. In the past people argued against Gomez as CB.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #502: Sep 04, 2018 01:02:06 pm
      I said for a long time Gomez should be Center back. Full back isn't as natural to him, it's like his secondary role. I'm glad people are agreeing with me on Gomez. In the past people argued against Gomez as CB.

Well done mate!

:roll:

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #503: Sep 04, 2018 01:04:55 pm

Well as he was signed as a CB and was a CB before he joined us he was always earmarked for a CB role but as with Carra a lot get early games in a full back role. Gomez was always going to be a CB - wasnā€™t rocket science
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #504: Sep 04, 2018 01:45:23 pm

He has been tremendous. That tackle early in the 2nd half was huge as it would have made it 2-1 with 35-40 minutes left. He had the alertness and quickness to make the block once the ball got past VVD and stopped what would have been a likely goal being from such close range.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #505: Sep 04, 2018 05:17:23 pm

Amazing analysis that.

Quick Reply