Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)

Read 166663 times
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Re: Joe Gomez Player Thread
      Reply #667: Feb 03, 2019 12:38:11 am
      Out of curiosity, how many other teams does anyone know of that has 5+ registered CBs in their team and actually benefit from it?

Arsenal (5) - Koscielny, Mustafi, Sokratis, Holding, Mavraponos.

Bournemouth (3) - Cook, Ake, Smith.

Brighton (4) - Duffy, Dunk, Burn, Balogun

Burnley (4) - Tarkowski, Gibson, Mee, Long

Cardiff (4) - Manga, Bamba, Morrison, Connolly

Chelsea (5) - Luiz, Rudiger, Cahill, Christensen, Ampadu

Palace (4) - Sakho, Dann, Tomkins, Riedewald

Everton (5) - Jagielka, Mina, Zouma, Keane, Browning

Fulham (4) - Chambers, Ream, Masson, Marchand

Huddersfield (4) - Zanka, Stankovic, Schindler, Kongolo

Leicester (4) - Morgan, Maguire, Soyuncu, Evans

Liverpool (4) - Lovren, Virgil, Matip, Gomez

Man City (5) - Otamendi, Magala, Kompany, Stones, Laporte

United (5) - Rojo, Bailly, Smalling, Jones, Lindelof

Newcastle (5) - Lascelles, Clark, Fernandez, Lejune, Schar

Saints (4) - Yoshida, Bednarek, Vestergaard, Stephens

Spurs (4) - Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Sanchez, Foyth

Watford (5) - Britos, Mariappa, Prodl, Cathcart, Kabasele

West Ham (5) - Rice, Ogbonna, Reid, Balbuena, Diop

Wolves (3) - Bennett, Boly, Coady

So, us having 4 CBs isn’t as much of a problem as some would have you believe,

Mate it never is until it becomes a problem like it has to us (LFC), and let me point out that Fab' back (Rushed Back) from a Hamstring could quite easily re-injury his and were would that leave our season...?

And you claim it is not a problem for  most of the teams above... How many of them play in European competitions, as well as the Cup one and the Prem'...?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #668: Feb 03, 2019 02:08:03 am
      Mate it never is until it becomes a problem like it has to us (LFC), and let me point out that Fab' back (Rushed Back) from a Hamstring could quite easily re-injury his and were would that leave our season...?

And you claim it is not a problem for  most of the teams above... How many of them play in European competitions, as well as the Cup one and the Prem'...?

Arsenal, Spurs, United all in Europe this season, all had injury problems in defence this season and all made it further through the domestic cups than us.
      Wolves still in the FA Cup.

If a team has 5 registered CBs then they are a player short in another area of the pitch, an area where we would likely have an extra man, most likely the midfield would be my guess. City have 5 CBs, yet they seemed to struggle when they had KDB, Silva and Fernandinho injured/struggling for fitness, they were then short for numbers there and lost 2 games in December back to back. While we, without Trent, without Gomez, without Matip and without Lovren...as well as without the holy grail Clyne, have still managed to win all but 2 games in the league since this injury crisis happened. Think that says something about our team and the number of CBs registered not being the biggest problem when you compare it to other teams.
      Arsenal have struggled all season, the Mancs have 5 registered CBs and yet they are what, 16(?) points behind us. City have 5 and are 5 points behind us. Injury crisis’ can happen at any time, to any team and in any area of the pitch. City would have liked an extra man registered in the midfield back in December instead of having Mangala as a 5th defender not doing anything at all. These things happen and it’s not what happens to the players that is the problem, the problem is how you manage the situation and I’d say out of every teams injury problems this season, and teams have had it worse than us and better than us, I would say Klopp has managed the situation better than any other manager, as proven by our current league position.

I hope I have answered what you were saying, but I’m not sure what point you are trying to make though if I’m honest...
      « Last Edit: Feb 03, 2019 02:26:31 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #669: Feb 03, 2019 06:48:06 am
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #670: Feb 03, 2019 02:18:32 pm
      Arsenal, Spurs, United all in Europe this season, all had injury problems in defence this season and all made it further through the domestic cups than us.
      Wolves still in the FA Cup.

If a team has 5 registered CBs then they are a player short in another area of the pitch, an area where we would likely have an extra man, most likely the midfield would be my guess. City have 5 CBs, yet they seemed to struggle when they had KDB, Silva and Fernandinho injured/struggling for fitness, they were then short for numbers there and lost 2 games in December back to back. While we, without Trent, without Gomez, without Matip and without Lovren...as well as without the holy grail Clyne, have still managed to win all but 2 games in the league since this injury crisis happened. Think that says something about our team and the number of CBs registered not being the biggest problem when you compare it to other teams.
      Arsenal have struggled all season, the Mancs have 5 registered CBs and yet they are what, 16(?) points behind us. City have 5 and are 5 points behind us. Injury crisis’ can happen at any time, to any team and in any area of the pitch. City would have liked an extra man registered in the midfield back in December instead of having Mangala as a 5th defender not doing anything at all. These things happen and it’s not what happens to the players that is the problem, the problem is how you manage the situation and I’d say out of every teams injury problems this season, and teams have had it worse than us and better than us, I would say Klopp has managed the situation better than any other manager, as proven by our current league position.

I hope I have answered what you were saying, but I’m not sure what point you are trying to make though if I’m honest...
      Full understand the point you have made, but while most of the top team have one maybe two CB we have two, plus two walking wounded, plus a make do Cb who also is a walking wounded.

In a normal season we may have one of the above, injured so it would not really be a problem but four..? And that's not counting TAA (RB), and in case it is forgotten the first leg CL vs Bayern we are heading into the game with VVD suspended.
      As many here have pointed out both Lovren and Matip can't got four or five games without picking up an injury. Just believe it would have been prudent to have signed a Centre back in this window even if it did cost £50-£70 Mil given what is at stake and that any further set back could potentially destroy our season

EDIT:- at 15:33 Point I was make re the other teams is that we and the other top clubs had potentially more games to play (especially if we go further in the cup than lets say Wolves) and on that basis alone  we should have a larger squad and more cover than a Wolves or a Brighton... But yes we should also move on the  injury prone as well
      « Last Edit: Feb 03, 2019 03:34:20 pm by The Real Donavan Ried »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #671: Feb 03, 2019 04:04:03 pm
      EDIT:- at 15:33 Point I was make re the other teams is that we and the other top clubs had potentially more games to play (especially if we go further in the cup than lets say Wolves) and on that basis alone  we should have a larger squad and more cover than a Wolves or a Brighton... But yes we should also move on the  injury prone as well

Gotcha ya. But, one thing worth considering is that every team has a maximum of 25(?) players they can register. Registering one or two more in one position can then leave you short in another area of the pitch, then if an injury crisis happens there, it would be the same situation. It’s a difficult one, I don’t have a problem with us going with 4 CBs for the season because in all honesty, even with the players having a history of injuries, I don’t think anyone would have predicted all these injuries would have happened at the same kind of time and all in the same area of the pitch. It’s just bad luck. Just makes me greatful that we do have players with good adaptability that allows them to cover areas of the pitch - Milner at RB, Fab at CB etc because in truth, apart from Milner having a very mixed game vs Palace, the players filling in have done so really well and we’ve still gotten the results.
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,638 posts | 449 
      Reply #672: Feb 03, 2019 05:56:05 pm
      It’s official for Me now, hope Burnley gets relegated, that was a dirty, unnecessary foul on Joe that broke his ankle that game.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #673: Feb 03, 2019 06:27:33 pm
      Gotcha ya. But, one thing worth considering is that every team has a maximum of 25(?) players they can register. Registering one or two more in one position can then leave you short in another area of the pitch, then if an injury crisis happens there, it would be the same situation. It’s a difficult one, I don’t have a problem with us going with 4 CBs for the season because in all honesty, even with the players having a history of injuries, I don’t think anyone would have predicted all these injuries would have happened at the same kind of time and all in the same area of the pitch. It’s just bad luck. Just makes me greatful that we do have players with good adaptability that allows them to cover areas of the pitch - Milner at RB, Fab at CB etc because in truth, apart from Milner having a very mixed game vs Palace, the players filling in have done so really well and we’ve still gotten the results.
      I get you, but it can be so frustrating at times
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #674: Feb 04, 2019 10:00:48 am
      F**k sake.

Gomez to undergo surgery.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #675: Feb 04, 2019 10:01:26 am
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #676: Feb 04, 2019 10:04:46 am

Ach F**k off.

Might as well just dedicate the next 2 pages to Clyne revisionism.......
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #677: Feb 04, 2019 10:13:41 am
      It’s official for Me now, hope Burnley gets relegated, that was a dirty, unnecessary foul on Joe that broke his ankle that game.

Nah good tackle. All part of the game.

And yes the loaning out of Clyne has proven to be nonsense. Hopefully Trent can get back, get up to speed and play every game for the next few months.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #678: Feb 04, 2019 10:17:29 am
      REMEMBER WHEN THEY SAID IT WAS A GOOD TACKLE.   grrrrrrr
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #679: Feb 04, 2019 10:38:57 am
      REMEMBER WHEN THEY SAID IT WAS A GOOD TACKLE.   grrrrrrr

Good tackles can result in injury. Injuries can happen in football but you'll see worse tackles than that in that Burnley game. This one happened to take all the ball and just bad luck it's injured Joe.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #680: Feb 04, 2019 11:00:33 am
      Oh well season over for young Joe, come back stronger next season.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #681: Feb 04, 2019 11:31:25 am
      I find it a bit odd its taken this long to realise Joe's break needed more attention than it has had so far . You expect the very best care for these players anyone know why this has come up now?.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #682: Feb 04, 2019 11:47:56 am
      Massive loss.
      Defense is different gravy with Gomez alongside Big Virgil.
      Guess everything is on Virgil staying fit now.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #683: Feb 04, 2019 11:53:13 am
      Oh well season over for young Joe, come back stronger next season.

Not season over. Expected to play again before season is over.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #684: Feb 04, 2019 11:54:59 am
      Two seasons in a row this happened. We need to sign another CB, if Gomez does this next season I'm not sure I'd keep him here. Good player and person, but this is two seasons in a row now that he's ended very early.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #685: Feb 04, 2019 11:57:50 am
      Not season over. Expected to play again before season is over.

I wouldn’t bet on it in fact I would ignore the clubs announcements. According to them he should have been back a couple of weeks ago.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #686: Feb 04, 2019 11:59:33 am
      So..... If he had the surgery at the time... he’d be back by now....? 😩😩😩

Just the sort of thing I feared would F**k us up. Massive blow.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #687: Feb 04, 2019 12:30:35 pm
      So..... If he had the surgery at the time... he’d be back by now....? 😩😩😩

Just the sort of thing I feared would F**k us up. Massive blow.

Know what you're saying but owing to a lack of like for like replacement the risk had to be taken, as you point out the implication could potentially be serious.
      Why the F**k Clyne is loaned out beats me, short term economies perhaps?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #688: Feb 04, 2019 12:32:37 pm
      Guys its a blow that Joe is out but we do have Matip, Lovren and at a push Fabinho, we'll be ok. The bigger issue for me is how exposed we are at RB and LB, just have to hope that Robbo and Trent can make it to the end of the season but I'll say it one final time, loaning out Clyne was a stupid mistake by Klopp, I bet he must regret it himself now but who could ever expect all these injuries at once.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #689: Feb 04, 2019 12:42:05 pm
      Good tackles can result in injury. Injuries can happen in football but you'll see worse tackles than that in that Burnley game. This one happened to take all the ball and just bad luck it's injured Joe.

this is true.

With that tackle, the problem was there was no need for such an aggressive sliding tackle in the corner. IMO, and I think that was klopps point of view at the time too.

Quick Reply