Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)

Read 166676 times
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Re: Joe Gomez Player Thread
      Reply #690: Feb 04, 2019 01:04:44 pm
      Guys its a blow that Joe is out but we do have Matip, Lovren and at a push Fabinho, we'll be ok. The bigger issue for me is how exposed we are at RB and LB, just have to hope that Robbo and Trent can make it to the end of the season but I'll say it one final time, loaning out Clyne was a stupid mistake by Klopp, I bet he must regret it himself now but who could ever expect all these injuries at once.

Several games this season Gomez was better than Van Dijk... when they played together we looked close to unstoppable. He’s in another league to Lovren/Matip....
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #691: Feb 04, 2019 01:54:52 pm
      Several games this season Gomez was better than Van Dijk... when they played together we looked close to unstoppable. He’s in another league to Lovren/Matip....

Exactly right . If it was other clubs like Man Utd it wouldn't matter as they are all on the same level like for like . Gomez is I'm afraid so much better than the other two and sadly VVD had built up such a good understanding with him which sadly does not look the same
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #692: Feb 04, 2019 02:04:57 pm
      this is true.

With that tackle, the problem was there was no need for such an aggressive sliding tackle in the corner. IMO, and I think that was klopps point of view at the time too.

I don’t think it was an aggressive tackle, I do think it was an unnecessary challenge though.
      Gomez is a big loss but let’s not forget how good Lovren was last season on our CL run. There are worse players to have as back up, but like Matip, you just never know what mindset they will have on the day. If their head isn’t right or if they lose confidence early on then you may as well write them off for the game because they will be more of a hindrance. Consistency and mentality is very much the issue with them two, not necessarily a lack of ability.
      But to be winners you need to have consistency and the right mentality, which is why Gomez and Virgil were forming such a good partnership.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #693: Feb 04, 2019 02:13:32 pm
      Big blow for us in my opinion. 

Got to say I'm a little bit disappointed that he's requiring an operation on a leg fracture the best part of 2 months following the injury.  Makes me question the initial medical assessment of his injury.

He's either going to play the last few games of the season (in what could be an extremely stressful time to try and return to competitiveness for him) or he's out till the summer.

Neither Lovren or Matip will go through the rest of the season unscathed without injury.  A strong part of me is suggesting that Fabinho might be the better choice over the rest of the season.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #694: Feb 04, 2019 02:24:30 pm
      Big blow for us in my opinion. 

Neither Lovren or Matip will go through the rest of the season unscathed without injury.  A strong part of me is suggesting that Fabinho might be the better choice over the rest of the season.
      The thing is when Fab' is used in the back line it takes away so much from the mid-field
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #695: Feb 04, 2019 03:58:50 pm
      I think that the club knew he wouldn't be back, fans for spun a load of drivel until the window shut.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #696: Feb 04, 2019 04:00:38 pm

OK but in that case we go to Plan B, score more than the opposition, it worked fine for us second half of last season and we need to get that intensity back.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #697: Feb 04, 2019 04:01:28 pm
      I think that the club knew he wouldn't be back, fans for spun a load of drivel until the window shut.

So you think the club decided to risk the title, if so why??
      Kopite78
      Reply #698: Feb 04, 2019 04:09:42 pm

What a load of rubbish

It was a leg fracture. They will basically mend themselves, the bones recalcifys and knits together.. there's nothing else that can be done

Sometimes it doesn't knit together again correctly and causes pain.. especially when you put pressure on it.

I imagine Joe was given the time period, then when that was up he went to put pressure on and it was giving him pain.
      There is no way in the world they knew it wasn't going to be right and then said, F**k you Joe, wait til February and then we will do the surgery

What are you? 12? Or just stupid?

The surgery will either be to rebreak the bone (unlikely on a fracture) or shave off some of the residue that's not knitted back together and is causing the discomfort

No way until after the time frame for recovery would they know it's not sorted itself as they would expect
      You don't have initial surgery on a fracture. It's not like a clean snap
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #699: Feb 04, 2019 04:33:30 pm

;D...

What yah smoking Ribs..?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #700: Feb 04, 2019 04:43:18 pm

Sometimes a fracture can take longer than a clean break to recover from,
      depending on how it heals.

Clearly it was always suggested that this factor would come into play.
      All along Klopp has said it would depend on how he recovers.

Looks like they'll have to go in and clean it up for him to heal properly.

Unlucky for both the club and Joe but there is still Lovren, Matip & Fabinho who can play there.

Glad to see the club looking after the likes of Gomez and Ox.
      In the long run that should benefit both club and players.
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #701: Feb 04, 2019 04:48:26 pm
      It’s official for Me now, hope Burnley gets relegated, that was a dirty, unnecessary foul on Joe that broke his ankle that game.

Regardless of the foul, I hope they get relegated. They are a horrible team with horrible players and a horrible Manager. Better suited for thuggery, that team.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #702: Feb 04, 2019 04:49:08 pm

Poor post even for your standards.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #703: Feb 04, 2019 04:50:54 pm
      So you think the club decided to risk the title, if so why??
      But they did, did they not...? by refusing to bring in a CB in the widow just gone
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #704: Feb 04, 2019 04:52:46 pm
      But they did, did they not...? by refusing to bring in a CB in the widow just gone

Club needs a 10 more than it needs a CB.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #705: Feb 04, 2019 06:10:19 pm
      It is a huge blow for us as he was a key starter for us whether it was in CB or RB and based on his play/form he was one of the best young defenders in Europe and had a budding partnership with VvD. Going to be pressure on Lovren/Matip to step up (I think Klopp will be leaning more toward Lovren when they are both fit) and fill the void.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #706: Feb 04, 2019 06:17:57 pm

He's not smoking anything mate.
      Just his usual attention seeking nonsense.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #707: Feb 04, 2019 06:20:52 pm
      I see the resident fakes are getting their ducks lined up in case we don't win the title.

It's F***ing pitiful that some enjoy it more when we lose than when we win, simply because it gives them an excuse to whinge and wum.

I feel bad for Gomez.
      It seemed his recovery was going well, then he gets knocked back.
      Still, if history is anything to go by, he'll come back stronger and more determined.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #708: Feb 04, 2019 07:45:50 pm
      Club needs a 10 more than it needs a CB.

Spot on
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #709: Feb 04, 2019 07:48:39 pm

We're starting Lallana and I'm nearly gone to prayer waiting for Ox.
      Cracks starting to show now. Big moments needed from big players.
      Gomez will hopefully have plenty of them in the future.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #710: Feb 04, 2019 07:54:41 pm
      We're starting Lallana and I'm nearly gone to prayer waiting for Ox.
      Cracks starting to show now. Big moments needed from big players.
      Gomez will hopefully have plenty of them in the future.

Yup.

Still wonder exactly what happened with Fekir. Less how it fell apart more that we didn’t move onto another target.

Bit of me still wonders if another scan a year on will see a deal done.......

No use just now though. We need people to step up over the next few weeks and give Jürgen a problem when more back.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #711: Feb 04, 2019 07:59:19 pm
      Yup.

Still wonder exactly what happened with Fekir. Less how it fell apart more that we didn’t move onto another target.

Bit of me still wonders if another scan a year on will see a deal done.......

No use just now though. We need people to step up over the next few weeks and give Jürgen a problem when more back.

Yeah. That's what I don't get.
      If Shaqiri was the other target, he wasn't really the solution.
      Be a bit like wanting Gomez and signing Trent.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #712: Feb 05, 2019 06:04:34 pm
      Trent was a big loss. We aren’t the same in the middle of the park without Gini. However, Gomez was the key for our defensive dominance. Since he’s been gone we have been fair at best. I thought VVD made him look good and helped keep him calm throughout the season, but now we can see Gomez had the same effect of big Virg. Get well soon dawg

Quick Reply