Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)

Read 166855 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Re: Joe Gomez Player Thread
      Reply #805: Nov 15, 2019 07:17:48 pm
      Presume it's F***ing Shitty fans, or Utd fucksticks, otherwise why the F**k would the wankstains be booing Joe ?!

It won't be Utd fans, their players (especially Beckham got similar treatment in 98) it's typical England fan behaviour and not the first Liverpool player to be booed playing for England. John Barnes got loads of it during his time playing for England and why certain sections of our support can't stand the F***ing dickheads who follow the national team.

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #806: Nov 15, 2019 08:32:03 pm
      Need to tell joe, it’s what we’ve come to expect.
      Why ?
      Because they wanna be us, and they can’t !
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #807: Nov 15, 2019 09:22:58 pm
      Wouldn't worry about it Joe. You're going to end up being the best English centre back of your generation. (Get him back in the team Jürgen!)

Meanwhile, my crystal ball foresees Raheem Sterling continuing to spit the dummy whenever he doesn't get what he wants. His marketing as a "role model for British youth" is pretty funny, but don't think it's going to stand the test of time.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #808: Nov 16, 2019 10:30:03 am
      Wouldn't worry about it Joe. You're going to end up being the best English centre back of your generation. (Get him back in the team Jürgen!)

Sadly I'd still have Joel Matip before him, Matip has earned that starting role after his performances from Christmas last year onwards.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #809: Nov 16, 2019 02:03:36 pm
      Sadly I'd still have Joel Matip before him, Matip has earned that starting role after his performances from Christmas last year onwards.

Yeah I agree Jürgen couldn't drop Matip for Gomez after the year Matip has had - been outstanding. But I think Joe will end up being an even better defender. And I would like to see him starting instead of Lovren, even though Lovren has done ok himself.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #810: Nov 16, 2019 03:57:38 pm
      We should sing a song for him in our first home game to show support to our player and that we are not ok with the boos. He needs to feel welcome and family with us!

YNWA Joe
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #811: Nov 16, 2019 08:04:09 pm
      I haven't played for England, although if I did I imagine I would get booed : ), Joe will hopefully not be too upset given he knows they're yobs. It would be different if it were in the Coliseum and they were booing and what followed was a 'thumbs down' because thats serious but Jimmy 5 bellies and his mates booing means literally nothing.
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 622 posts | 59 
      Reply #812: Nov 16, 2019 09:24:34 pm
      For me,Matip is not on the same level as a fit Gomez.look how solid our defence was last year,this year no Gomez,and leaking goals,Matip is too slow, Rashford turned him inside out,a couple of times,during recent game.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #813: Nov 16, 2019 10:46:41 pm
      For me,Matip is not on the same level as a fit Gomez.look how solid our defence was last year,this year no Gomez,and leaking goals,Matip is too slow, Rashford turned him inside out,a couple of times,during recent game.

Gomez hasn't been anywhere near the level he was at the start of last season though, whilst Matip has been in my view our best centre half this season.

Not to mention his use of the ball is a real asset too when he brings the ball out and passes through the lines.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #814: Nov 17, 2019 01:10:24 am
      Gomez hasn't been anywhere near the level he was at the start of last season though, whilst Matip has been in my view our best centre half this season.

Not to mention his use of the ball is a real asset too when he brings the ball out and passes through the lines.

Gomez' problem at the moment is Matip. Matip has upped his game massively pretty much ever since Gomez broke his leg/ankle vs Burnley. Gomez needs a run of games to get back into that high level of consistency but unfortunately for him Matip has, until he got injured, been first choice alongside Virgil with no questions asked. Matip then picked up the injury and it's come at a time where Gomez is again struggling with the odd strain and fitness issue. Time is on Gomez' side and I'm sure he will get that run of games this season to get back to that consistency he was showing. Maybe it's been a case of managing him very carefully because we can't afford to lose him over the next 6 weeks or so.

I think if Matip, Gomez and Lovren are all 100% fit and at their best then it's Gomez who is at the top of that pecking order, followed by Matip. But it's not a perfect world and that's not the case and as it stands, Matip is the one they need to overtake, just like it was Gomez up until his injury last season.

Think Virgil has been fairly inconsistent this season compared to the level he was showing last season, he's dived in a bit rash and been turned a bit too easily on occasions so for that reason I'd put Matip as our highest performing CB this season but Virgil is untouchable to be honest, even on a slightly off day you just can't afford to not have him on the pitch and that's the level Gomez should be aiming at reaching, where you are a shoe in even if you are showing a slight lack of consistency.
      « Last Edit: Nov 17, 2019 01:16:19 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #815: Nov 17, 2019 10:38:00 am
      If Sterling had come on, would he have got booed too?
      Little runt from Runtland.
      Presume it's f**king Shitty fans, or Utd fucksticks, otherwise why the f**k would the wankstains be booing Joe ?!

I think this is most likely the case. Also, Southgate has allowed this to become such a big deal and media have had a field day with it. That’s red rag to a bull for the thick tw*ts in the stands
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #816: Nov 17, 2019 11:49:08 am
      Joe Gomez takes time-out after injury in training and the shitehawks are hovering :-

"Gomez can clear his head after injury" - Southgate quote.
      The quote above is from the link below which also goes on to say "Gomez has been under scrutiny since a clash with Sterling at England's training camp on Monday".

Little wonder our man gets booed by gobshites when suggestive reports like this infer he was the culprit and is "under scrutiny".
      Southgate should keep his gob shut instead of implying Gomez has a mental issue which has some bearing on Sterling's unacceptable behaviour.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50160458
      « Last Edit: Nov 17, 2019 11:59:48 am by stuey »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #817: Nov 17, 2019 03:38:20 pm
      Joe Gomez takes time-out after injury in training and the shitehawks are hovering :-

"Gomez can clear his head after injury" - Southgate quote.
      The quote above is from the link below which also goes on to say "Gomez has been under scrutiny since a clash with Sterling at England's training camp on Monday".

Little wonder our man gets booed by gobshites when suggestive reports like this infer he was the culprit and is "under scrutiny".
      Southgate should keep his gob shut instead of implying Gomez has a mental issue which has some bearing on Sterling's unacceptable behaviour.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50160458

I'd be amazed if Joe gives 2 fucks about the boo boys, he knows he is a respected footballer and that he is loved by the real fans, US!
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #818: Nov 17, 2019 04:05:31 pm
      I think this is most likely the case. Also, Southgate has allowed this to become such a big deal and media have had a field day with it. That’s red rag to a bull for the thick tw*ts in the stands

What would you suggest Southgate should of done in this situation?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #819: Nov 17, 2019 06:31:59 pm

Who F***ing cares, it's only England!
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #820: Nov 17, 2019 09:08:00 pm

I'm not sure he should have fessed up the whole story to the media the moment it happened. I can understand why he did because it's hard to keep anything completely locked down in modern sport but by being so transparent and open it has been open season for the media. I actually really like Southgate but in hindsight I wonder if he would have gone public with the incident and the punishment.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #821: Nov 18, 2019 02:59:38 am
      I'm not sure he should have fessed up the whole story to the media the moment it happened. I can understand why he did because it's hard to keep anything completely locked down in modern sport but by being so transparent and open it has been open season for the media. I actually really like Southgate but in hindsight I wonder if he would have gone public with the incident and the punishment.

Think he was protecting himself from Sterling and his agent and how they might have painted if he didn't make it clear who was at fault.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #822: Dec 14, 2019 07:01:12 am
      How was he against Bournemouth? I see that was the last match he played whole 90 minutes and than straight back to bench.
      I cant get over how good he looked in those first few games he played for us before getting injured, he was pretty damn impressive and i expected so much from this guy so i hope he will become standard first team player shoulder by shoulder with VVD.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1634 
      Reply #823: Dec 14, 2019 09:22:36 pm
      Played well today no coincidence been involved with last 3 clean sheets
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #824: Dec 14, 2019 09:39:06 pm
      he was going to be Virgil's natural partner until his injuries stopped him. Game time is essential he looks better everytime he plays
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #825: Dec 14, 2019 10:32:56 pm
      Thought he was or MotM today,  the only time he looked in trouble was from our own errors.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #826: Dec 15, 2019 09:31:12 pm
      he was going to be Virgil's natural partner until his injuries stopped him. Game time is essential he looks better everytime he plays

Yep, he has the highest ceiling of all the other centre-halves because of his pace and his comfort on the ball. He is certainly looking better with every game and seems to be working himself back into the form he was showing this time last season.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #827: Dec 15, 2019 11:11:45 pm
      Yep, he has the highest ceiling of all the other centre-halves because of his pace and his comfort on the ball. He is certainly looking better with every game and seems to be working himself back into the form he was showing this time last season.

Age on his side too. Already a seasoned international and playing alongside the best player in the world.

I have no doubt in my mind that Gomez will become the best centre half in the world at some point.

Quick Reply