Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)

Read 166756 times
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Re: Joe Gomez Player Thread
      Reply #874: Jan 30, 2020 11:32:49 pm
      He just needed them few games in a row to get his consistency back after the leg fracture. Virgil has set a new standard for the quality of a CB, but the way Gomez is going already at a young age, there's every chance he could go beyond the level of Virgil in years to come.

Easy now. Virg is a Messi Ronaldo like defender, you might not see another defender like him in the next 20 years
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #875: Jan 30, 2020 11:36:35 pm
      Was speaking to a mate about Joe, even though he doesn't offer as much as Matip with the ball at his feet his defensive abilities are far more important to us as a team.

It is no coincidence that the clean sheets have begun to roll in with him being back in the side.

Arguably one of the most underrated CB's in the prem, like VVD could go on to become one of our most talented CB's.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #876: Jan 31, 2020 12:05:25 am

Easy now. Virg is a Messi Ronaldo like defender, you might not see another defender like him in the next 20 years

Thatā€™s why I said ā€œcouldā€ and ā€œin years to comeā€œ, because he obviously still has a way to go yet.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #877: Jan 31, 2020 05:03:13 am
      Was speaking to a mate about Joe, even though he doesn't offer as much as Matip with the ball at his feet his defensive abilities are far more important to us as a team.

I disagree about the Matip commit, I think Gomez on many occasions shown he can dribble and run past players with the ball his is feet and pick up a pass as good or even better. Matip has better heading ability (both defending and attacking) while Gomez just has pace to burn which is great for playing a high line.

Gomez just needs to stay fit, yes his form over the past two months has been great but if he wanted to take it to the next step he is going to need keep playing week in and week out.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #878: Jan 31, 2020 08:02:32 am

VVD unreal of course but I agree that Gomez has the potential to be the best ever centre back in history. Iā€™m not even joking.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #879: Jan 31, 2020 04:23:10 pm
      I disagree about the Matip commit, I think Gomez on many occasions shown he can dribble and run past players with the ball his is feet and pick up a pass as good or even better. Matip has better heading ability (both defending and attacking) while Gomez just has pace to burn which is great for playing a high line.

Gomez just needs to stay fit, yes his form over the past two months has been great but if he wanted to take it to the next step he is going to need keep playing week in and week out.

I would go for Matip as the better passer, although this was decidedly NOT on display vs. Shrewsbury.

It think it's evident that if everyone is fit (like just now), JĆ¼rgen's choice is to go with Joe as Virgil's partner in the back line. He gives high praise to him here:
      https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/385277-JĆ¼rgen-klopp-praise-for-joe-gomez

ā€œPretty much all of our centre-halves, when they were fit they were regular starters because two others were always injured more or less,ā€ replied the manager.

ā€œThis is the first time, hopefully it stays for the rest of our life like this, that all four are kind of fit. Yes, two of them have no rhythm ā€“ thatā€™s clear ā€“ but they are fit, which is good.

ā€œJoe was never in doubt. The season started, Joe played together with Virg, was not in the best shape ever, but Joel was. So, Joel played and did really well ā€“ after last season when he played really well. Joel got injured; Dejan did outstandingly well. Then Dejan got injured and Joe came in.

ā€œJoe jumped between right-back and centre-half, which is not perfect when you have no rhythm. If you are in a good moment itā€™s no problem, but in that moment Joe had no real rhythm and thatā€™s why he struggled a little bit.

ā€œBut since he is a playing as a centre-half again ā€“ his natural position ā€“ together with Virg there is exceptional. He is a sensational footballer, which is good.

ā€œHe has outstanding speed, which helps us a lot to keep our last line high; he is a really good challenger; good in one-on-one situations; football-wise, I said already, good.

ā€œThe package is really nice. It was always clear in the moment he starts playing and can get rhythm again, everything will be fine ā€“ and thatā€™s how it is.ā€
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #880: Jan 31, 2020 08:57:16 pm

I see that Gomez can get forward and make a pass, he is a good dribbler and has the speed also. BUT for me, Matip's ability to pick a pass from deep is MUCH better than Gomez's. I feel like Gomez goes for the safer pass 9/10 but Matip will play it forward to Bobby or Salah etc.

As mentioned though, Gomez's potential is unreal.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #881: Feb 01, 2020 07:13:06 am
      I really appreciate this guy as a player from his first days as a Liverpool player, and i see that people see him as one of the best defenders we ever had... i would not go that far, it is obvious he has immense potential but there is a rough path in front of him to become one of the best in the world. So far he is the best pair VVD can have among our players and he is showing that from game to game so lets just enjoy that and watch him enjoy his football.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #882: Feb 01, 2020 11:54:30 pm
      Was F***ing amazing today again, can;t decide between him, Jordan and Bobby for my MOTM...everyone was brilliant.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #883: Feb 03, 2020 10:40:38 am
      Joe is a reminder that players coming back from long term injuries need time to get back to their best and in Joe's case better than he was before. Just hope that he doesn't get ruined by playing for England this summer
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #884: May 23, 2020 01:15:57 pm
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,632 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #885: May 23, 2020 10:04:03 pm

Happy Birthday Joe, looking forward to seeing him back on the field.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #886: Oct 04, 2020 09:36:23 pm
      What has happened to Joe loses concentration so easily but more concerning gets bullied by no Mark players now.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #887: Oct 04, 2020 09:39:30 pm
      Shocking display today.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #888: Oct 04, 2020 09:43:32 pm
      Needs dropping.

Wouldn't even put him on the bench with his recent displays.

Would have Rhys Williams ahead of him.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #889: Oct 04, 2020 09:45:00 pm
      He just looks lost at the moment. Deer in headlights sh*t!

Where the F**k is Matip?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #890: Oct 04, 2020 10:35:35 pm
      Had a mare today but he will be better.

The two that would tend to keep him steady, Allison and Virgil basically both missing today so not a surprise he didnā€™t play well.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #891: Oct 04, 2020 10:37:47 pm
      He just looks lost at the moment. Deer in headlights sh*t!

Where the F**k is Matip?

He's injured but should be back after the break.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #892: Oct 05, 2020 06:38:27 am
      The F**k is wrong with him? Something happened to him after that man city match.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #893: Oct 06, 2020 12:14:17 pm
      Has not been the same since Sterling humbled him last season. Got too emotionally involved in the 1vs1 with Sterling and lost out. Lost his calm aura about him and isn't getting it back now. Needs a lengthy run out of the team to forget about it.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #894: Oct 06, 2020 12:30:41 pm
      Move him back to right full
      Kopite78
      Reply #895: Oct 06, 2020 12:33:10 pm

Not the answer

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #896: Oct 06, 2020 12:36:26 pm

Why not? The current right full is a massive part of our current defending shortfalls, to the degree of I think its making Joe look worse.

Id love to see

Alisson
            Joe         Fab             VVD  Robbo

TAA    Thiago Naby/Hendo
            Mo             Bobby/Jota    Mane

Quick Reply