Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)

Read 166708 times
      Kopite78
      Re: Joe Gomez Player Thread
      Reply #897: Oct 06, 2020 12:42:43 pm
      Why not? The current right full is a massive part of our current defending shortfalls, to the degree of I think its making Joe look worse.

Id love to see

Alisson
            Joe         Fab             VVD  Robbo

TAA    Thiago Naby/Hendo
            Mo             Bobby/Jota    Mane

Because it smacks a little bit of throwing the baby out with the bathwater

Joe Gomez is one of the best CBS in europe, especially at his relative young age for the position, his body frame has changed since he last played full back to boot
      Trent is renowned as the best right back in the modern game and is integral to how we attack.. yes he can be suspect defensively but you solve that by the players in front of him stopping the lines of attack so he doesnt look exposed with his high starting position

Moving him into midfield with the midfield options we have isnt the answer

Moving a cb to full who would never ever be able to offer what our system requires going forward isnt the answer

Moving one of the best number 6s to cb permanently isnt the answer

Jota isnt a 9
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #898: Oct 06, 2020 12:47:42 pm
      Because it smacks a little bit of throwing the baby out with the bathwater

Joe Gomez is one of the best CBS in europe, especially at his relative young age for the position, his body frame has changed since he last played full back to boot
      Trent is renowned as the best right back in the modern game and is integral to how we attack.. yes he can be suspect defensively but you solve that by the players in front of him stopping the lines of attack so he doesnt look exposed with his high starting position

Moving him into midfield with the midfield options we have isnt the answer

Moving a cb to full who would never ever be able to offer what our system requires going forward isnt the answer

Moving one of the best number 6s to cb permanently isnt the answer

Jota isnt a 9

Ye better have a word with the boss so becsuse at least 2 of the things you have ruled out hes already done.

Moving him to right full to me is more pro active then dropping him in the hope that dropping him restores his confidence.

Trent is regarded by some as the best right full because of what he offers going forward, he can offer that higher up the pitch without the defending aspect. If we step back and observe with honesty hes not the best right full in the world at doing his first job, defending, in fact its arguable if hes the best in the league
      Kopite78
      Reply #899: Oct 06, 2020 12:53:37 pm
      Ye better have a word with the boss so becsuse at least 2 of the things you have ruled out hes already done.

Moving him to right full to me is more pro active then dropping him in the hope that dropping him restores his confidence.

Trent is regarded by some as the best right full because of what he offers going forward, he can offer that higher up the pitch without the defending adpect. If we step back and observe with honesty hed not the best right full in the world at doing his first jovb, defending, in fact its arguable if hes the best in the league

You have taken what I said our of context

Moving Fabinho  permanently isnt the answer

Changing our very successful system isnt the answer

Gomez at full back you would have to change the system and as I said he couldnt play modern full back to what its changed to, especially in a front foot team expected to dictate games

Not sure how saying (pretty much) you're that sh*te at cb we're moving you to full back, by the way you have to get forward as its key to the system
      Will help his confidence too much

Pretty sure if you just put it down to one of those things, back him to the hilt as one of the best CBS in Europe will do more for his confidence

Again as for Trent, it's about protecting in front of him and looking at everything he brings to the system than looking at the negatives and ripping it all up

It needs tweaking not ripping up
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #900: Oct 06, 2020 01:00:18 pm
      You have taken what I said our of context

Moving Fabinho  permanently isnt the answer

Changing our very successful system isnt the answer

Gomez at full back you would have to change the system and as I said he couldnt play modern full back to what its changed to, especially in a front foot team expected to dictate games

Not sure how saying (pretty much) you're that sh*te at cb we're moving you to full back, by the way you have to get forward as its key to the system
      Will help his confidence too much

Pretty sure if you just put it down to one of those things, back him to the hilt as one of the best CBS in Europe will do more for his confidence

Again as for Trent, it's about protecting in front of him and looking at everything he brings to the system than looking at the negatives and ripping it all up

It needs tweaking not ripping up

Hes played right full lots of gimes, quite well, so its hardly giving the impression to him that hes sh*te.

Look at the goals conceeded over the last 10 or 15 games, we are not keeping many clean sheets, that has to be a concern?

Moving Fab isnt ideal but hes always outstandung there and now with Thiago on board it gives that freedom to move Fab permanently an option that wasnt there before, evolve the team. Fab a ball pkaying centre half with a pass master as your holding player, your most creative player from an assist perspective playing without the shackles of defending, dare I say it I think Trent could be what Beckham was to utd and more...

But us talking about it is likely all it will ever be
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #901: Oct 06, 2020 01:01:45 pm
      Sorry Brian but Gomez offers nothing going forward so while he is ok as a stop gap it ain’t the way we play unless of course we change our set up with Thiago.
      Kopite78
      Reply #902: Oct 06, 2020 01:05:18 pm
      Hes played right full lots of gimes, quite well, so its hardly giving the impression to him that hes sh*te.

Look at the goals conceeded over the last 10 or 15 games, we are not keeping many clean sheets, that has to be a concern?

Moving Fab isnt ideal but hes always outstandung there and now with Thiago on board it gives that freedom to move Fab permanently an option that wasnt there before, evolve the team. Fab a ball pkaying centre half with a pass master as your holding player, your most creative player from an assist perspective playing without the shackles of defending, dare I say it I think Trent could be what Beckham was to utd and more...

But us talking about it is likely all it will ever be

We've spent 30 years trying to win a league

We've done that playing defensive, playing full backs who dont really take risks

It never worked

Jürgen will rightly stick to this system but simply work harder at it
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #903: Oct 06, 2020 01:13:57 pm
      Sorry Brian but Gomez offers nothing going forward so while he is ok as a stop gap it ain’t the way we play unless of course we change our set up with Thiago.

He wouldnt have to...You still get what you get from Trent
      Kopite78
      Reply #904: Oct 06, 2020 11:21:54 pm
      He wouldnt have to...You still get what you get from Trent

You get what you get from Trent if you put Gomez at full back?

Absolute nonsense,sorry
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #905: Oct 07, 2020 12:59:22 pm
      Joe will be fine - in the long run. I've seen better players than him have howlers in red over the years.

He's looked low on confidence since the City game tbh.

Likewise Trent needs to work on recovery and defensive lines but he's gonna be the man for a long time, injury aside.  Robbo is a far better defender........but he also has a lot more support in Sadio than TAA does with Mo.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #906: Oct 07, 2020 07:40:38 pm
      You get what you get from Trent if you put Gomez at full back?

Absolute nonsense,sorry

You misread that, purposely or otherwise....you get the attacking threat you get from Trent at right full if you play Trent in the midfield, but what you now have is cover at right full in Joe and no gaps left by Trent attacking.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #907: Oct 07, 2020 09:29:17 pm
      I fully expect Joe to be dropped to the bench in the games Thiago starts with Fab playing CB. Virgil and Fab were superb together against Chelsea so I expect we will see more of that pairing over the coming weeks.

I think Joe needs a break for a few games as he may be mentally fatigued after last season his concentration is shot.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #908: Oct 07, 2020 09:58:09 pm
      I fully expect Joe to be dropped to the bench in the games Thiago starts with Fab playing CB. Virgil and Fab were superb together against Chelsea so I expect we will see more of that pairing over the coming weeks.

I think Joe needs a break for a few games as he may be mentally fatigued after last season his concentration is shot.

Still prefer fab in midfield myself
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #909: Oct 08, 2020 08:54:26 pm
      Looked ordinary tonight as well
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #910: Oct 24, 2020 10:16:55 pm
      Great game from Gomez today. Hopefully thats a sign of consistency to come from him.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #911: Oct 25, 2020 12:49:52 am
      I gave him my MOTM.

2 Defenders in 2 games, getting my MOTM and Virgil's name is not one of them!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #912: Oct 25, 2020 01:46:03 pm
      Has not been the same since Sterling humbled him last season. Got too emotionally involved in the 1vs1 with Sterling and lost out. Lost his calm aura about him and isn't getting it back now. Needs a lengthy run out of the team to forget about it.

I think that's well been forgotten about, plus a PL medal should of sorted mouthy gobs***e Sterling out. Gomez isn't the most confident out of our CB's and with the talker of the cbs currently out, that's what showing up the other defenders deficiencies
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #913: Oct 25, 2020 02:41:21 pm
      Joe has looked like a boy whose father has sat him down and told him he's gotta step up and be the man of the house now, and he's listened. Last two games have been very mature and calm performances. We need him to put the past 6 months behind him and step up. Last two games have been a good sign
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #914: Nov 11, 2020 02:41:45 pm
      Gomez injured today whilst preparing for that very important friendly  :mad:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #915: Nov 11, 2020 03:00:32 pm
      F**k me.

It's scandalous that international friendlies are even being played in the current climate and now we've another injury due to them
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #916: Nov 11, 2020 03:01:14 pm
      Oh my god, you can’t make this up
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #917: Nov 11, 2020 03:05:05 pm