Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)

Read 166734 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Joe Gomez Player Thread
      Reply #989: Nov 11, 2020 11:29:09 pm
      F**k me just woke up to this! Reports saying he went down in a fair bit of pain and there was no contact hoping it’s not a ligament. Ffs!

F**k mate, woke up to the same sh*t F***ing news but there were mentions of Pickford being involved but Southgate said he was by himself when it happened. If that's the case, that is not a good thing. F***ing shattered. If it comes out Pickford was involved, I'm flying over there myself and taking him out!!!!

Get well soon Joe!
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #990: Nov 12, 2020 12:14:01 am
      How F***ing sh*t is this! Hope the young lads take their chance with both hands and could hopefully raise their confidence and levels a lot quicker. Shame for Joe though as he had put those poor performances behind him and then F***ing England come along. What is the point of squeezing these pointless games into the already over scheduled fixture pile up? Madness!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #991: Nov 12, 2020 04:11:12 am
      It's the overall schedule being so compressed - all of it. This was a non-contact injury in training. It could have happened at Melwood (now Kirkby) just as easily. If he wasn't training with England he would have been training with us. Trent was just running in a straight line and he got his. Seeing it with players all over the Premier League as well.

I wonder if teams might altering their own training schedules radically.

Ok so there was no contact involved with any other player, then it is simply down to over exertion, we are talking about fully fit athletes here who would not normally just collapse in pain, of course there are different tolerance levels to consider from player to player but it looks like for some they don’t get enough rest/recovery time, Joe sadly has been racked with too many injuries for someone  so young and I fear ultimately that this will shorten his playing career,
      Again, no one knows the extent of this latest set back but by all accounts  it isn’t looking at all good for him,

It’s time the authorities started listening to the Managers/ club’s medical staff , they know what’s best for these athletes, it’s as clear as the nose on your face that these players due to fixture congestion are not getting enough rest between matches, the 5 subs issue starts to make sense when you consider that all other leagues across Europe adopt 5 subs except the EPL, a league that has more fixtures per season, 38,the two domestic cup comps, then the two European comps, and the international fixtures for World Cup qualifying, European League qualifiers, and of course the absolute meaningless friendlies,

From now on, if I were Jürgen, I’d seriously consider asking the players to withdraw from international duty unless it was meaningful and said player wanted to play, or would they rather stay at home and have family time, unless the authorities start listening to those who know better than them , managers could be forced to offer player’s a alternative , the club’s pay the players wages after all, it’s the club’s assets that get damaged, possibly losing millions in lost revenue.

Something needs to change for the welfare of those players.

Y  N  W  A
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #992: Nov 12, 2020 06:36:26 am
      If Rhys or Nat end up playing which they will next time Matip gets injured or cant play then that will probably spell the end of the 4 forwards on the pitch idea.

Klopp will revert back to a 4-3-3 I think with 3 hard working midfielders looking to give protection to the centre halves.

Very soon it could be Rhys and Nate playing together with Milner at RB which would be far from ideal.

We may well soon find out if Jürgen prefers Bobby or Diogo in his ideal starting XI

Perhaps Bobby can play CB?
      « Last Edit: Nov 12, 2020 06:46:38 am by fields of anny rd »
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #993: Nov 12, 2020 06:45:06 am
      So much bad luck, but Klopp always knew that Matip and Gomez are injury-prone. He should have replaced Lovren.

Hope it is not that serious as being reported.

Fingers crossed.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #994: Nov 12, 2020 08:16:29 am
      Out for season and possibly beyond some stating Patella Tendon
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #995: Nov 12, 2020 09:20:35 am

That would be a potential career ender.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #996: Nov 12, 2020 11:35:59 am

That sucks, but on the positive side he has got us to this point, where we are more or less qualified for the next stage of CL and are towards the top of the table. With the exception of Leicester and Spurs we now have a run of of easier, on paper, games up to the end of the year and then we just have to spend big to get some quality brought in, at least 1 CB if not 2.

Hopefully with a bit of luck, which we must have earned by now, we can have Matip and Fabinho up till that point and also rotate in Rhys and Nat as well.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #997: Nov 12, 2020 11:48:50 am
      Latest news is that his season may well not be over with the injury not as serious as first reported but still out for a couple months
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #998: Nov 12, 2020 12:35:24 pm
      Gomez is way too injury prone, unfortunately we can’t rely on him for the future.

It’s clear we need to invest
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #999: Nov 12, 2020 12:39:38 pm
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #1000: Nov 12, 2020 12:40:07 pm
      Gomez is way too injury prone, unfortunately we can’t rely on him for the future.

It’s clear we need to invest

No he isn’t -

Having a couple of serious injuries that can happen to anyone doesn’t make him injury prone - being in and out of the physio table is injury prone and Gomez hasn’t done that in his short career so far
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #1001: Nov 12, 2020 12:51:56 pm
      No he isn’t -

Having a couple of serious injuries that can happen to anyone doesn’t make him injury prone - being in and out of the physio table is injury prone and Gomez hasn’t done that in his short career so far

This is Joe's third big injury and he's only 23. It could have a big impact on his long term fitness from here on.

We will need to sign a new experienced top CB in January now unless we want to write this season off. So we may need to spend big unless we can get a good deal for one which will be tricky in the January window.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #1002: Nov 12, 2020 12:59:32 pm
      This is Joe's third big injury and he's only 23. It could have a big impact on his long term fitness from here on.

We will need to sign a new experienced top CB in January now unless we want to write this season off. So we may need to spend big unless we can get a good deal for one which will be tricky in the January window.

He had an ACL and a broken bone - both of which after recovery didn’t affect his ability - just like the tendon injury won’t as well. He is still young and many other players have had worse and still played long successful careers mainly because of the modern science

Let’s not write him off just yet

Yes we potentially might need to bring in a CB but I can still see only a short term one whilst they bring through the likes of Phillips , Williams and Koumeito
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1003: Nov 12, 2020 01:01:05 pm
      Operation on a knee tendon. He will miss a significant part if the season, does not say season over, though Id read between the lines on the "significant" part of the statement
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1004: Nov 12, 2020 01:02:33 pm
      F***ing wow
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1005: Nov 12, 2020 01:04:28 pm
      FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCC CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKK

These cu*ts really do want to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs, don't they.
      As if the club fixture list isn't bad enough, they have to pile on these stupid F***ing "friendlies" that only serve to fill the FA coffers.

cu*ts.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #1006: Nov 12, 2020 01:16:08 pm
      Feel for the lad, it seems every time he gets back to his optimum injury strikes yet again, he will come back from this I have no doubt, and he is young enough for his body to fully recover, this again raises the issue of players playing too many games with very little time for rest and recovery, this just isn’t coincidental, it’s happening at other clubs too,

It really is time the authorities Listened to the sports scientists, physio’s etc about players welfare, instead of listening to the cash dropping into their coffers, but my guess is that they don’t actually give a shiny sh*te about that.

Good luck Joe, hope you aren’t out for too long !

Y  N  W  A
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #1007: Nov 12, 2020 01:33:00 pm
      6 months minimum would of thought possibly 8-10 think season over personally
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #1008: Nov 12, 2020 01:34:49 pm
      Tendon injury during practice? That really is just truly shitty luck. How often do we hear about players getting significant injuries in training? not often at all.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #1009: Nov 12, 2020 01:37:12 pm
      Feel for the lad, it seems every time he gets back to his optimum injury strikes yet again, he will come back from this I have no doubt, and he is young enough for his body to fully recover, this again raises the issue of players playing too many games with very little time for rest and recovery, this just isn’t coincidental, it’s happening at other clubs too,

It really is time the authorities Listened to the sports scientists, physio’s etc about players welfare, instead of listening to the cash dropping into their coffers, but my guess is that they don’t actually give a shiny sh*te about that.

Good luck Joe, hope you aren’t out for too long !

Y  N  W  A

I don't chalk this injury up to the schedule as i think fatigue from the schedule is more likely to result in muscular injuries, like what we saw with Arnold, that are more short-term. Gomez must have had a hard collision or tackle or something in practice to damage a tendon to the point of surgery.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #1010: Nov 12, 2020 01:56:26 pm
      I don't chalk this injury up to the schedule as i think fatigue from the schedule is more likely to result in muscular injuries, like what we saw with Arnold, that are more short-term. Gomez must have had a hard collision or tackle or something in practice to damage a tendon to the point of surgery.

Southgate said no one was near him when he pulled up
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1011: Nov 12, 2020 02:13:22 pm
      Hope it's not the patellar tendon....

"Similarly, after a complete rupture, the patellar tendon surgery recovery time will also vary. Immediately following the procedure, the knee will be immobilized, and the individual will need crutches to assist with mobility for a few weeks to prevent reinjury. It may take a full year to make a complete patellar tendon tear surgery recovery. Many patients experience weakness in the injured knee even after the patellar tendon has fully healed."

Quick Reply