Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)

Read 166681 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Joe Gomez Player Thread
      Reply #1012: Nov 12, 2020 02:16:27 pm

He had an ACL and a broken bone - both of which after recovery didn’t affect his ability - just like the tendon injury won’t as well. He is still young and many other players have had worse and still played long successful careers mainly because of the modern science

Let’s not write him off just yet

Yes we potentially might need to bring in a CB but I can still see only a short term one whilst they bring through the likes of Phillips , Williams and Koumeito

Besides the serious injuries he does seem to pick up niggles here and there as well, didn't he miss quite a few games last season as well? Anyway good news if he gets back this season.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #1013: Nov 12, 2020 02:19:06 pm
      I don't chalk this injury up to the schedule as i think fatigue from the schedule is more likely to result in muscular injuries, like what we saw with Arnold, that are more short-term. Gomez must have had a hard collision or tackle or something in practice to damage a tendon to the point of surgery.

Southgate lying then ? You can damage tendons in knee by jumping and landing awkwardly or through lack of muscle strength in areas supporting areas could of happened at any time and location
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #1014: Nov 12, 2020 02:35:00 pm
      Southgate lying then ? You can damage tendons in knee by jumping and landing awkwardly or through lack of muscle strength in areas supporting areas could of happened at any time and location

When did i say Southgate was lying or alluded to that? i am simply stating that i do not think i would consider fatigue from the heavy schedule as the reason for this injury, like i would for Arnold's, since its not muscular. You are correct that this type of injury can happen at any time or place.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #1015: Nov 12, 2020 03:07:06 pm
      When did i say Southgate was lying or alluded to that? i am simply stating that i do not think i would consider fatigue from the heavy schedule as the reason for this injury, like i would for Arnold's, since its not muscular. You are correct that this type of injury can happen at any time or place.

If Joe had any weakness in his knee the gruelling physical schedule would have exasperated the underlying issue as recovery days are massively important for these athletes.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1016: Nov 12, 2020 05:06:46 pm
      Hope it's not the patellar tendon....

"Similarly, after a complete rupture, the patellar tendon surgery recovery time will also vary. Immediately following the procedure, the knee will be immobilized, and the individual will need crutches to assist with mobility for a few weeks to prevent reinjury. It may take a full year to make a complete patellar tendon tear surgery recovery. Many patients experience weakness in the injured knee even after the patellar tendon has fully healed."

I believe that’s exactly what it is.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #1017: Nov 12, 2020 05:13:22 pm
      I believe that’s exactly what it is.

It’s not that - they expect him back before May
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #1018: Nov 12, 2020 05:13:44 pm
      Besides the serious injuries he does seem to pick up niggles here and there as well, didn't he miss quite a few games last season as well? Anyway good news if he gets back this season.

He had a broken ankle from a tackle
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1019: Nov 12, 2020 05:14:32 pm
      It’s not that - they expect him back before May

Keep dreaming.

He has had a patellar tendon rupture as reported by all the journo’s.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #1020: Nov 12, 2020 05:35:12 pm
      Keep dreaming.

He has had a patellar tendon rupture as reported by all the journo’s.

The tendon wasnt fully ruptured and was only damaged along with no other issues with the ligaments with the expected recovery within 4/6 months
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #1021: Nov 12, 2020 05:37:01 pm
      I doubt it's a patellar tendon rupture if the club think he can play again this season (especially considering how reluctant we have been as a club in recent years to put timescales on injuries).
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #1022: Nov 12, 2020 05:48:53 pm
      Poor Joe, he must feel absolutely gutted with the news as we all are, like everyone has said, all these games in such a short space of time are bound to take it's toll on the body no matter how fit these lads are, he will of course get the best medical help and support from the medics and the club, time to put all that new machinery at Kirby into good practice with all these bloody injuries....gutted, as if this year hasn't been difficult enough.  :f_wah:
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1023: Nov 12, 2020 05:49:29 pm
      Agree with you Robby - this could easily have happened at Kirkby.

Aside from that, it's absolutely ridiculous that we are having these international breaks. Bar the play offs they should have been scrapped entirely given the circumstances/fixture pile up. Personally I'd ban all internationals during in season and have a 3 week post season block and then another 3 week pre season block to play them in. At the very least, get rid of friendlies. I don't think there's a bigger waste of time in this world than international friendlies.

I see Diogo Jota came on for Portugal to play the final 16 minutes of a 7-0 match. Talk about meaningless...

I like international football actually, but the confederations and FIFA have been way too aggressive about creating new events, crowding the calendar with friendlies.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1024: Nov 12, 2020 05:51:16 pm
      The tendon wasnt fully ruptured and was only damaged along with no other issues with the ligaments with the expected recovery within 4/6 months

If it wasn’t ruptured surgery would not have been needed.

Partial or full rupture makes no difference to recovery time, it would still need to be reattached via surgery like I said the journalists associated with the club have said a rupture.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1025: Nov 12, 2020 05:56:52 pm
      Just to add after reading the posts on here, I know which message board I'm coming to consult the next time I need free medical advice!  :D

Patient: "Hey Doctor! It hurts when I do THIS."

Doctor: "Right. Don't do THAT."
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #1026: Nov 12, 2020 06:08:25 pm
      It is the third time Gomez has been injured while on England duty.

In October 2015, he missed 15 months after damaging his anterior cruciate ligament playing for England under-21s and in March 2018 injured his ankle playing for the senior side against Holland, ruling him out of that season’s Champions League final.

:mad:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1027: Nov 12, 2020 06:10:04 pm
      I doubt it's a patellar tendon rupture if the club think he can play again this season (especially considering how reluctant we have been as a club in recent years to put timescales on injuries).

You can doubt it all you want, but it sure is odd that he had surgery so quickly for a non-contact injury (which that can often be, it's an overuse injury a lot of times). Also, doubt the club would advertise that they are now going to be without their 2nd choice CB for the rest of the year. Teams with CBs they could move on in January must already be salivating......
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #1028: Nov 12, 2020 06:12:45 pm
      FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

These cu*ts really do want to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs, don't they.
      As if the club fixture list isn't bad enough, they have to pile on these stupid f**king "friendlies" that only serve to fill the FA coffers.

Cu*ts.
      As much as I think the fixture list is ridiculous and the idea of adding friendlies to this already ridiculous schedule all while in the middle of a world pandemic is beyond any word I can use to describe the level of stupidity, I have to say that this one could've very well happened in club training.

They are reporting nobody was near him when this happened. I am no expert so I can't asses if this is the type of injury that have increased risk of occurring when in the middle of such a ridiculously tight schedule but I'm guessing this is just pure bad luck for us and considering how sh*t our luck has been since this season has started it would've probably happened all the same in LFC training.

They need to allow the 5 subs and just cancel the intl friendlies. Adding travel fatigue on the players and increasing the risks of covid contagion is just stupid. I reckon a friendly or two, or F**k all friendlies will have to do for the national teams. Like Klopp said in his presser after the City game (I am paraphrasing) ''we pushed for the domestic season to played and that's fantastic, but now we are also pushing for the Euros to be played but we have to ask ourselves, at this rate, with which players are they going to be played?''

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #1029: Nov 12, 2020 06:21:52 pm
      If it wasn’t ruptured surgery would not have been needed.

Partial or full rupture makes no difference to recovery time, it would still need to be reattached via surgery like I said the journalists associated with the club have said a rupture.

Amazing how you know more than what the club release 🤦‍♂️

He damaged the tendon , surgery repaired the damage and it’s anticipated that he will be back before the end of the season provided the  rehab goes as expected - simple as that
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1030: Nov 12, 2020 06:26:25 pm
      As we have all these medical experts on here I have this weird thing on the end of my kn...
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1031: Nov 12, 2020 06:33:48 pm

Amazing how you know more than what the club release 🤦‍♂️

He damaged the tendon , surgery repaired the damage and it’s anticipated that he will be back before the end of the season provided the  rehab goes as expected - simple as that

I have seen plenty of statements from the club over the years down playing injuries and giving best scenario dates.

You can believe what you like.

rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #1032: Nov 12, 2020 07:18:31 pm
      As we have all these medical experts on here I have this weird thing on the end of my kn...

Knee?
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,483 posts | 240 
      Reply #1033: Nov 12, 2020 07:50:15 pm
      Just put on the sly go app for the England game & the accompanying pic is the one & only Gomez, talk about rubbing it in a bit
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #1034: Nov 12, 2020 09:59:15 pm
      I feel physically sick with all these injuries

Quick Reply