Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)

Read 166885 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Re: Joe Gomez Player Thread
      Reply #1058: Dec 29, 2020 12:17:58 pm
      OK, he's just unlucky then, but either way he misses a lot of games for us!

We are unbelievably unlucky with CB injuries.

Three brilliant CB's injured for most of a season.

I think we will sign Kabak from Shalke as cover and hope that Joel, Joe and Virgil are back by April.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1059: Dec 29, 2020 03:21:53 pm
      OK, he's just unlucky then, but either way he misses a lot of games for us!

Hairy muff
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #1060: Dec 29, 2020 06:20:05 pm
      I think he's a very good CB but he is injury prone, same as Matip and we need another CB to fight for the starting spot next to Virg, Per Schuurs from Ajax would be absolutely perfect.

Schuurs is a good shout and i believe he would jump at the chance to play for us, he would love to play along side VVD as it would mean he getting a regular starting place next to VVD in the Holland team
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts | 36 
      Reply #1061: Dec 29, 2020 06:29:43 pm
      Schuurs is a good shout and i believe he would jump at the chance to play for us, he would love to play along side VVD as it would mean he getting a regular starting place next to VVD in the Holland team

This makes a lot of sense. I know he has said in the past that he is focussing on staying at Ajax to get games, but what else would he be expected to say whilst he is an Ajax player.
      With our current situation he would be one of the first names on the team sheet as it stands, and even when we have a clean bill of health there is no reason why he wouldn't become the first choice partner of VVD given Joe's (and Joel's obviously) injuries.

I'd be over the moon if we move quickly to bring this guy in.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1062: Jan 02, 2021 10:28:49 pm
      Seing that the lad is injured and that there has been much talk about us needing to buy a center-back I was wondering what is the general consensus around Joe?
      Is he your long-term VVD partner or would you prefer the club to go another route and recruit a center-back to directly challenge for his position?

Do you consider him injury prone?

Do you feel like he is Jürgen's first choice partner for VVD?

Do you think Fabinho excelling at CB affects any of that?

Those questions came to my mind mainly because some of the names thrown around and the price tags they would command are those of a starting CB (Upamecano or Konate come to mind) while on the other side I feel like Klopp has made it clear in the past year or so that he very much likes Joe and that if everybody is fit (even when Lovren was there) Joe is the other CB.

1. Conversations about buying replacements are probably best left for other threads.

2. My concern for Joe Gomez is that he will never play again. I think his injury is that serious and you are not hearing any kind of recovery narrative like you are with Virgil. Yes it's somewhat tea leaf reading by me, but this whole idea of a severed tendon is pretty drastic. It is going to take a lot for Joe to be able to play anything close to top flight football.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #1063: Jan 02, 2021 10:34:24 pm
      1. Conversations about buying replacements are probably best left for other threads.

2. My concern for Joe Gomez is that he will never play again. I think his injury is that serious and you are not hearing any kind of recovery narrative like you are with Virgil. Yes it's somewhat tea leaf reading by me, but this whole idea of a severed tendon is pretty drastic. It is going to take a lot for Joe to be able to play anything close to top flight football.

I think a lot of it is that's he's just a lot more shy and quiet than VVD is.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #1064: Jan 02, 2021 10:43:02 pm
      This makes a lot of sense. I know he has said in the past that he is focussing on staying at Ajax to get games, but what else would he be expected to say whilst he is an Ajax player.
      With our current situation he would be one of the first names on the team sheet as it stands, and even when we have a clean bill of health there is no reason why he wouldn't become the first choice partner of VVD given Joe's (and Joel's obviously) injuries.

I'd be over the moon if we move quickly to bring this guy in.

In one. article which I posted up on the forum he said that he wants to stay there for a few seasons.  Apparantly he has become a regular quite recently this season if I'm not mistaken.    I feel that if there were chances he wouldn't say that but heads can get turned and VVD is a big carrot, but personally don't think it is going to happen this window with his statement. 
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1065: Jan 03, 2021 02:45:01 am

I think a lot of it is that's he's just a lot more shy and quiet than VVD is.

Hope that's it.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1066: Jan 30, 2021 12:46:31 pm

Klopp said yesterday he would be surprised if Gomez plays in another match this season.

Hopefully he can resume playing in the summer, but it's a tough injury
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,696 posts | 837 
      Reply #1067: Apr 26, 2021 07:13:36 am
      Came here to give some love. Okay what I actually mean is that I came here to say that this season has proven how important this guy is to our team when he's fit. Highly underestimated by many and I'll include myself in that bunch. Lots of what he does and the level at which he does it is taken for granted just because ''he plays with VVD''. The duo with VVD was seamless/streamlined and I know a lot of people will give a lot of the credit to VVD for elevating him but truth is this kid is quality and to be elevetated by a demanding teammate like VVD you need to rise to the challenge. It will be a F***ing  shame if we lose him to injuries. He stood tall with Fab at the back until he got injured and he was carrying us top of the prem until then.

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,665 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1068: Apr 26, 2021 10:57:51 am
      Came here to give some love. Okay what I actually mean is that I came here to say that this season has proven how important this guy is to our team when he's fit. Highly underestimated by many and I'll include myself in that bunch. Lots of what he does and the level at which he does it is taken for granted just because ''he plays with VVD''. The duo with VVD was seamless/streamlined and I know a lot of people will give a lot of the credit to VVD for elevating him but truth is this kid is quality and to be elevetated by a demanding teammate like VVD you need to rise to the challenge. It will be a f**king  shame if we lose him to injuries. He stood tall with Fab at the back until he got injured and he was carrying us top of the prem until then.

I really don't see what you allegedly see. There was a time when he was playing really well but then deteriorated about 2/3 months before he got injured. He's not the man to partner VVD. For me he's a wink link and needs replacing. Injury prone too which might be the reason he wasn't playing at his best.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1069: Apr 26, 2021 11:21:36 am
      I really don't see what you allegedly see. There was a time when he was playing really well but then deteriorated about 2/3 months before he got injured. He's not the man to partner VVD. For me he's a wink link and needs replacing. Injury prone too which might be the reason he wasn't playing at his best.

PBR was right though Manker, we were doing ok and still top of the League with Joe still out there, the minute he got injured our season went to sh*t!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,665 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1070: Apr 26, 2021 12:59:10 pm
      PBR was right though Manker, we were doing ok and still top of the League with Joe still out there, the minute he got injured our season went to sh*t!

No no no,  ;D for me it was when you really lost VVD. Gomez was bang average (( at best ) prior to his injury
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #1071: Apr 26, 2021 01:10:00 pm
      No no no,  ;D for me it was when you really lost VVD. Gomez was bang average (( at best ) prior to his injury

He really wasn’t, for one his pace is vital to the way we play as a cb, him and Virgil being so quick and such excellent coverers tracking back means we can play the high line and the full backs can get forward

You massively underestimate him.. the only thing that holds him back so far is his injuries but his level at 23 for a cb, is frankly brilliant. At 26/27 if his body holds up he will be one of the worlds best
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,665 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1072: Apr 26, 2021 01:12:03 pm
      He really wasn’t, for one his pace is vital to the way we play as a cb, him and Virgil being so quick and such excellent coverers tracking back means we can play the high line and the full backs can get forward

You massively underestimate him.. the only thing that holds him back so far is his injuries but his level at 23 for a cb, is frankly brilliant. At 26/27 if his body holds up he will be one of the worlds best

We will agree to disagree.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #1073: Apr 26, 2021 03:51:23 pm

Now Keith, i completely understand that you are a Manc but these comments are deluded sir, even for a Manc.

Gomez has been outstanding alongside VVD and make no mistake, it takes 2 to make a partnership. Fast as F**k, solid, strong, good in the air, comfortable on the ball and still a baby in the centre back world. I think they compliment each other very well.

He's still only 23 years old! I'd take Gomez over that fuckshot Slabhead any day of the week.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,665 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1074: Apr 26, 2021 04:50:04 pm
      Now Keith, i completely understand that you are a Manc but these comments are deluded sir, even for a Manc.

Gomez has been outstanding alongside VVD and make no mistake, it takes 2 to make a partnership. Fast as f**k, solid, strong, good in the air, comfortable on the ball and still a baby in the centre back world. I think they compliment each other very well.

He's still only 23 years old! I'd take Gomez over that fuckshot Slabhead any day of the week.

The jury's out till he comes back and proves my comments unfounded then. He was poor though before getting injured.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,696 posts | 837 
      Reply #1075: Apr 27, 2021 07:00:30 pm
      I can see where you are coming from (although I disagree). He's not a flashy player, plays with a partner who gets most of the attention and is world class. However, Joe is the type of player that will give you the constant 7/10  90% of the time (the other 10% of time you might get a stinker or a MOTM performance). He did struggle a bit in the first month or so whenever he was coming back from a long injury but other than that I think the man is underrated for what he brings, the quality at which he brings it and the consistency with which he brings it. 

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1076: Apr 28, 2021 12:59:20 am

Stop talking w*nk, U Mank!!  :D
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,665 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1077: Apr 28, 2021 08:27:05 am

Time will tell little man.  :P
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #1078: Jul 29, 2021 06:34:20 pm
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #1079: Feb 19, 2022 10:58:01 pm
      I still don't understand why so many people went after Joe in the match thread. He had a solid game in a position that isn't natural to him. And don't forget his last start was almost 2 months ago...
      It's not fair to expect him to provide the same attacking threat TAA does, he will never cross the ball like Trent. And that's fine, he has other attributes. I do believe he did his job today, and for now that's good enough.
      Ddecker
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 129 posts | 49 
      Reply #1080: Feb 20, 2022 02:06:00 am
      I still don't understand why so many people went after Joe in the match thread. He had a solid game in a position that isn't natural to him. And don't forget his last start was almost 2 months ago...
      It's not fair to expect him to provide the same attacking threat TAA does, he will never cross the ball like Trent. And that's fine, he has other attributes. I do believe he did his job today, and for now that's good enough.

Same here, thought he had a great game

Quick Reply