Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)

Read 166818 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)
      Reply #1127: Jul 26, 2022 05:58:39 pm
      It seems we are not alone in being pleased Joe is staying Virgil is also delighted saying he is one of the best English defenders in the League high praise indeed from the master
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #1128: Jul 26, 2022 06:21:35 pm
      It seems we are not alone in being pleased Joe is staying Virgil is also delighted saying he is one of the best English defenders in the League high praise indeed from the master

I think he’s absolutely superb!
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #1129: Jul 26, 2022 06:43:53 pm
      Without his injuries, there's no doubt Joe would be up there with the very best defenders in the world.

He's still only 25. Time is on his side.
      Keny
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 179 posts | 26 
      Reply #1130: Jul 26, 2022 07:11:12 pm
      ...Virgil is also delighted saying he is one of the best English defenders in the League...

That may not be a praise at all if you think of who is playing CB in the England team.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #1131: Jul 30, 2022 09:21:57 am
      Has taken the No. 2 for this season
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1132: Aug 04, 2022 02:58:54 pm
      Just noticed he’s changed number this season.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #1133: Aug 16, 2022 02:14:13 pm
      Thought he was very good when he came on and showed the difference between his level and Phillips especially with the ball
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #1134: Aug 16, 2022 07:02:14 pm
      Thought he was very good when he came on and showed the difference between his level and Phillips especially with the ball

Yeah Phillips is big, strong in air but his passing and ability on the ball isn't very good (bar the cryuff turn vs Milan ;D).

Hopefully Gomez will be fit to start vs Manure, this is his opportunity to claim a spot before Matip (last I read was out got a couple weeks) and Konate get fit and back into the mix.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #1135: Sep 02, 2022 08:38:07 pm
      Have to say this lad irritates me and is a liability. He often seems to be at fault. Isak just strolled past him before his goal was disallowed. Puts about as much effort into defending as Trent, and that shot he blew over the goal when we were chasing a winner... what was he thinking??
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #1136: Sep 02, 2022 09:49:00 pm
      Have to say this lad irritates me and is a liability. He often seems to be at fault. Isak just strolled past him before his goal was disallowed. Puts about as much effort into defending as Trent, and that shot he blew over the goal when we were chasing a winner... what was he thinking??

Bit harsh... Joe has barely played in the last 12 months. Give him time.
      His job is made all the more difficult with Trent and VVD having an awful start this season.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #1137: Sep 03, 2022 02:24:57 am

Joe definitely need more games. And as PTU said above it is not easy job for him while playing alongside an off form Virgil and Trent.
      Also having todays Hendo in front of them surely like asking for problems.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,632 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #1138: Sep 03, 2022 04:37:37 pm
      I bet dan the man is fuming that Joe played so well today  :D

Well done Joe, he just needs time, it was good to see Matip back though as well.

Joe deserves a bit of praise, he'd been out for so long and it does take some time to get back up to the speed of the premiership.

Good man Joe today and well played.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1139: Sep 03, 2022 05:16:25 pm
      I bet dan the man is fuming that Joe played so well today  :D

Well done Joe, he just needs time, it was good to see Matip back though as well.

Joe deserves a bit of praise, he'd been out for so long and it does take some time to get back up to the speed of the premiership.

Good man Joe today and well played.

someone said he cant head a ball if I remember correctly he was the player who headed the ball from the corner against Newcastle . He is a favourite of mine I like players who just keep going after many set backs and he is doing really well and as Gordon found out has pace to burn.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,632 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #1140: Sep 03, 2022 05:22:13 pm
      someone said he cant head a ball if I remember correctly he was the player who headed the ball from the corner against Newcastle . He is a favourite of mine I like players who just keep going after many set backs and he is doing really well and as Gordon found out has pace to burn.

Absolutely Walt, and the fact that he can play all over the back four is a real asset for us.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1141: Sep 03, 2022 05:36:03 pm
      Joe is brilliant defensively, showcased it today, won most of his aerial duels and made a couple of good recovery runs.

However, I feel we lose something going forward with him at CB he doesn't look to play the ball forward enough and it costs us not having that Matip type playing running into the space and picking a pass.

tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #1142: Sep 03, 2022 06:41:52 pm
      Thought Joe played well today one of the few positives
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 561 posts | 128 
      Reply #1143: Sep 03, 2022 10:06:04 pm

He can head a ball unless it's a high looped in ball like lots of teams try against us. He just doesn't seem to be able to predict the flight and is usually a yard short. It's been a problem with him for years. Other than that once he's had a run of games he's a quality defender and nice to see he still has some pace despite his injuries.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 791 posts | 273 
      Reply #1144: Sep 04, 2022 02:55:03 pm
      Good to see he's getting back to the player we saw before the injury.
      Gomez and Konate could be our 1st choice CBs in a few years so I'm happy he's stayed at the club and is taking the opportunity to get back in the team.
      We probably still need to be cautious of injuries, rotation at CB will be needed.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #1145: Sep 04, 2022 07:39:13 pm
      The reTurn to form of Gomez is 9ne 9f the few bright spots of the season thus far. Long may it continue.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #1146: Sep 04, 2022 09:03:18 pm
      Hopefully it's just him settling back into Premier League football at centre back but I've not been that impressed with him to be honest. Has looked quite suspect in the air and not great with the ball at his feet. No doubt his pace really helps us though and so I hope he improves in those other areas with some more game time.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #1147: Sep 04, 2022 09:05:17 pm
      Hopefully it's just him settling back into Premier League football at centre back but I've not been that impressed with him to be honest. Has looked quite suspect in the air and not great with the ball at his feet. No doubt his pace really helps us though and so I hope he improves in those other areas with some more game time.

His pace is amazing, I think he’s been really good - better than VVD so far
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #1148: Sep 05, 2022 02:13:01 am
      His pace is amazing, I think he’s been really good - better than VVD so far

Agreed. In all honesty I would love to see him paired with Matip for a game or two and let VVD sit on the bench and realize he isn't irreplaceable. I'm not mad at Virgil, I'm sure he's trying his best, however, he's let his form slip, and it shows even the best fall from grace sometime. Maybe a fire being lit under him is what we need.

Joey has been great, and is the best of our  other 3 to be paired with VVD on the reg, due to his pace.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1149: Sep 07, 2022 10:07:20 pm
      Absolute shocker. Needs a spell on the bench to get himself together.

Quick Reply