Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)

Read 166751 times
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Re: Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)
      Reply #1173: Sep 09, 2022 05:45:32 pm
      Play him RB while Trent gets his act together.

He plays more orthodox which in turn should allow Salah to play more inside.

Could solve two issues down that right side

I was saying this also, think he does a serious job for us at RB and with Matip back fit our defense would become instantly more stable.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1174: Sep 09, 2022 06:58:51 pm
      I was saying this also, think he does a serious job for us at RB and with Matip back fit our defense would become instantly more stable.

he is a better defensive rb than Trent and we really need that side Suring up dont we before we get torn apart by the better teams
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1175: Sep 09, 2022 07:00:52 pm
      He is defo 4th choice, but on current form id rather see big Natt playing. l o l

we saw Nat play against Palace mate or had you forgot. I would change Trent before Joe but clealry if Joel or Konate are fit Joe gives way maybe to RB as some suggest
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #1176: Sep 09, 2022 09:26:40 pm
      Play him RB while Trent gets his act together.

He plays more orthodox which in turn should allow Salah to play more inside.

Could solve two issues down that right side

Agreed. It would potentially solve another issue too - it would make it easier for Elliot to keep his place. A not particularly defensive-minded, left sided CM on that side of the midfield does not go well with having Trent at RB.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #1177: Sep 10, 2022 01:58:39 am
      Think Klopp is forced to play Gomez more then he would like considering how little football he has played over past two season, especially at CB. Think he has played more minutes at CB thus far then the last two years.

Yep he was hot garbage vs Napoli, think he been okay other then that. Certainly a ton of room for improvement if he wants to get back to his 19/20 form..
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1178: Sep 10, 2022 07:55:50 am
      Think Klopp is forced to play Gomez more then he would like considering how little football he has played over past two season, especially at CB. Think he has played more minutes at CB thus far then the last two years.

Yep he was hot garbage vs Napoli, think he been okay other then that. Certainly a ton of room for improvement if he wants to get back to his 19/20 form..

That’s right Adam! FORCED ! to play him, he’s not a first team player which is why Klopp uses him when there’s not much choice. Is Klopp wrong Walt.  ;)
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1179: Sep 10, 2022 09:42:20 am
      we saw Nat play against Palace mate or had you forgot. I would change Trent before Joe but clealry if Joel or Konate are fit Joe gives way maybe to RB as some suggest

Back 3, may be on the cards when all fit. Change to a 3-5-2 or some such.

Anyway changes are afoot of some sort, klopp will sort it.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1180: Sep 10, 2022 10:44:00 am
      That’s right Adam! FORCED ! to play him, he’s not a first team player which is why Klopp uses him when there’s not much choice. Is Klopp wrong Walt.  ;)

how can Jürgen be wrong when he has no Choice and Joe has had a nightmare few years and is still finding his way back whether he will be first alongside Virgil we shall see. Joe has a major advantage on others and that is his pace the fitter he gets the better for Jürgen to have choices. Just be thankful we didnt spunk £85mil on a statuesque CB with a slabhead .
      Once we get Konate back we have 4 CB's and that will be enough.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1181: Sep 10, 2022 11:51:41 am
      Back 3, may be on the cards when all fit. Change to a 3-5-2 or some such.

Anyway changes are afoot of some sort, klopp will sort it.

Not a chance mate, Klopp has said several times it’s not a formation he likes or would look to play
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1182: Sep 10, 2022 12:00:09 pm
      how can Jürgen be wrong when he has no Choice and Joe has had a nightmare few years and is still finding his way back whether he will be first alongside Virgil we shall see. Joe has a major advantage on others and that is his pace the fitter he gets the better for Jürgen to have choices. Just be thankful we didnt spunk £85mil on a statuesque CB with a slabhead .
      Once we get Konate back we have 4 CB's and that will be enough.

Once again bring United into a conversation when it’s nothing to do with United. You must go to bed dreaming of United.   :P
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1183: Sep 10, 2022 12:41:44 pm
      Once again bring United into a conversation when it’s nothing to do with United. You must go to bed dreaming of United.   :P

not at all but when a UTD Fan ? comments on a Liverpool player I think it is only fair to point out your judgement of players is not without fault. This season time after time we have seen teams target our right side because Trent will be too far forward and he has lost the ball so many times and the Joe is left to cover two positions which no defender can get away with.
      If joel is fit he will partner Virgil who has yet to find his best form.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1184: Sep 10, 2022 01:36:53 pm
      not at all but when a UTD Fan ? comments on a Liverpool player I think it is only fair to point out your judgement of players is not without fault. This season time after time we have seen teams target our right side because Trent will be too far forward and he has lost the ball so many times and the Joe is left to cover two positions which no defender can get away with.
      If joel is fit he will partner Virgil who has yet to find his best form.

So basically what your saying then is when you comment about United I should judge you the same way as you judge me? So your at fault are you?  If I wore rose tints I’d agree with you but I don’t. 

Many Liverpool fans have said countless times  ( agreed with me ) how bad Gomez is. Does that mean they’re also at fault? Or because there Liverpool fans you respect their opinion a little more?

Never be disillusioned with my comments just coz I’m a manc. Ive openly said Klopp is the best manager in the world, now  coz a manc said it don’t you believe me? I think VVD best CB in the world ( despite his poor  start ) am I wrong again because it’s comes out of a mancs mouth?

Take the manc label off me just like a do when you comment on United which is more often than most.  ;D
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #1185: Sep 10, 2022 06:25:39 pm

Considering we reigned him for a 5 year this summer instead if selling him makes me think Klopp does believe he can find his form again and continue to be a key piece of the squad as we transition (Konate/Gomez be the CB partnership of future?)

I just don't think Klopp wanted him to start 5 games in 17 days given he barely played much in a couple years, probably would of like to ease him in (one start a week maybe?) before seeing if he can dislodge Matip/Konate in the depth chart while being cover for TAA (assuming Kloop will only play Ramsey in Cup games)

Not a chance mate, Klopp has said several times it’s not a formation he likes or would look to play

I remeber we played Brighton few years ago  Klopp broke that out when we had Gini and Can along side Lovern
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1186: Sep 10, 2022 06:39:54 pm
      So basically what your saying then is when you comment about United I should judge you the same way as you judge me? So your at fault are you?  If I wore rose tints I’d agree with you but I don’t. 

Many Liverpool fans have said countless times  ( agreed with me ) how bad Gomez is. Does that mean they’re also at fault? Or because there Liverpool fans you respect their opinion a little more?

Never be disillusioned with my comments just coz I’m a manc. Ive openly said Klopp is the best manager in the world, now  coz a manc said it don’t you believe me? I think VVD best CB in the world ( despite his poor  start ) am I wrong again because it’s comes out of a mancs mouth?

Take the manc label off me just like a do when you comment on United which is more often than most.  ;D

I use my eyes and then I look up some reviews from the Echo and various other outlets and they are favourable to say the least especially against Everton so I will stick with my own views and those from people who dont have an agenda. I hope I never lose my Red tinted glasses they have served me well.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1187: Sep 10, 2022 06:46:00 pm
      I use my eyes and then I look up some reviews from the Echo and various other outlets and they are favourable to say the least especially against Everton so I will stick with my own views and those from people who dont have an agenda. I hope I never lose my Red tinted glasses they have served me well.

Think we all do same as you Walt, they call it a opinion.   ;D Good look with your rose tints,  I prefer not to have any.  :f_whistle:  ;D Not sure those who agree that Gomez not up to it have a agenda though, there’s plenty of them.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1188: Sep 12, 2022 08:46:28 am

uch I know. but he did also say things need to change. we shall see soon enough anyway.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1189: Sep 12, 2022 10:02:08 am
      Think we all do same as you Walt, they call it a opinion.   ;D Good look with your rose tints,  I prefer not to have any.  :f_whistle:  ;D Not sure those who agree that Gomez not up to it have a agenda though, there’s plenty of them.

and if you bother to come away from a forum and check the media who dont have rose coloured glasses he has been getting good press .
      No CB in the world could have dealt with the way Trent has been AWOL of late. As long as he is alongside Virgil he is fine when he is pulled out wide like most CB's he is out of his comfort zone. You come on this forum with a built in prejudice whether you admit it or not and enjoy our defeats and neg press it would be quite strange if you didn't
      https://www.rousingthekop.com/2022/09/04/100-tackling-97-touches-liverpool-got-world-class-joe-gomez-back-against-everton/
      « Last Edit: Sep 12, 2022 10:08:36 am by waltonl4 »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1190: Sep 12, 2022 11:24:01 am
      and if you bother to come away from a forum and check the media who dont have rose coloured glasses he has been getting good press .
      No CB in the world could have dealt with the way Trent has been AWOL of late. As long as he is alongside Virgil he is fine when he is pulled out wide like most CB's he is out of his comfort zone. You come on this forum with a built in prejudice whether you admit it or not and enjoy our defeats and neg press it would be quite strange if you didn't
      https://www.rousingthekop.com/2022/09/04/100-tackling-97-touches-liverpool-got-world-class-joe-gomez-back-against-everton/

So your opinion is now based on one performance against the bitters! ( who are sh*te anyway and not a great guide )  Give me Trent all day even though he’s having a bad patch also, least Trent can score. Gomez is like Fred from United IE throws in the odd good game but still sh*te. Gomez in all his career has never ever been world class so no going to start now.

Will shall agree  to disagree and move on mate.   :action-smiley-035:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1191: Sep 12, 2022 02:26:51 pm
      Many Liverpool fans have said countless times  ( agreed with me ) how bad Gomez is.

Not on here they haven't.

I'm seeing a lot of unwarranted slating going the way of Gomez, some of it quite ironic given you lot have Maguire who cost 80mill along with the other complete shower sh*t that's been there in recent years like Jones and Lindelof.

But you aside, the general slating of Gomez seems well over the top. Yes he was poor vs Napoli but Trent was far worse and Virgil didn't cover himself in glory either, giving away a 2nd penalty in the opening 7 games, in similar fashion to the first when he got beaten by Mitrovic. The only goal that Gomez was really a large part at fault was the one where he should have passed the ball back to Alisson but tried to turn away from the Napoli player instead.

The year we won the title, Gomez was first choice alongside Virgil for large parts and our longest runs without conceding was with them 2 at the back and arguably he was playing better than Virgil too and there was a lot of calls for him to be Englands first choice CB.
      Last season was another season of disruption for him but he laregly played at RB and he didn't do a bad job at all, in fact he played very well there and surpassed peoples expectations in terms of his ability to get forward and cross the ball.

Gomez was one of only a few to be able to hold their heads up against the bitters and I think it's short memories that have led to the slating he's getting because in every game this season, at one stage or another all of the CB's - Matip, Virgil, Gomez and Phillips have been complete sh*te and have been directly at fault for a goal.

It's very easy for people to forget how well a player can do and remember their good form but very easy to remember a bad game.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #1192: Sep 12, 2022 02:41:03 pm

I'm seeing a lot of unwarranted slating going the way of Gomez, some of it quite ironic given you lot have Maguire who cost 80mill along with the other complete shower sh*t that's been there in recent years like Jones and Lindelof.

But you aside, the general slating of Gomez seems well over the top. Yes he was poor vs Napoli but Trent was far worse and Virgil didn't cover himself in glory either, giving away a 2nd penalty in the opening 7 games, in similar fashion to the first when he got beaten by Mitrovic. The only goal that Gomez was really a large part at fault was the one where he should have passed the ball back to Alisson but tried to turn away from the Napoli player instead.

The year we won the title, Gomez was first choice alongside Virgil for large parts and our longest runs without conceding was with them 2 at the back and arguably he was playing better than Virgil too and there was a lot of calls for him to be Englands first choice CB.
      Last season was another season of disruption for him but he laregly played at RB and he didn't do a bad job at all, in fact he played very well there and surpassed peoples expectations in terms of his ability to get forward and cross the ball.

Gomez was one of only a few to be able to hold their heads up against the bitters and I think it's short memories that have led to the slating he's getting because in every game this season, at one stage or another all of the CB's - Matip, Virgil, Gomez and Phillips have been complete sh*te and have been directly at fault for a goal.

It's very easy for people to forget how well a player can do and remember their good form but very easy to remember a bad game.

Couldn’t agree more - unfortunately he had a shocker (alongside everyone else) in Naples.

He’s a superb player and I would rather him at right back at the moment instead of TAA.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1193: Sep 12, 2022 04:14:23 pm

But you aside, the general slating of Gomez seems well over the top.

It’s not unwarranted it’s opinions, just as yours is with Maguire-Jones-Lindelof which for the record I agree.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #1194: Oct 09, 2022 06:44:20 pm
      Was a lot stronger against Martinelli than Trent had been when he came on. Thought our defence was better in the second half with him and Konate (and their penalty was soft as F**k). Problem (apart from the penalty) was we ran out of steam higher up the park.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1195: Oct 09, 2022 06:50:21 pm
      Joe did ok and needs to play  in that position Trent is done as a wing back teams just know how to destroy our right side

Quick Reply