Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)

Read 166745 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)
      Reply #1196: Oct 09, 2022 07:06:38 pm
      Joe did ok and needs to play  in that position Trent is done as a wing back teams just know how to destroy our right side

Don’t rate Gomez as you know Walt but it’s saying something when I say he played better than Trent.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1197: Oct 09, 2022 07:16:56 pm
      Don’t rate Gomez as you know Walt but it’s saying something when I say he played better than Trent.

he did well it is hard to come on as a defender but we looked better with him on. Trent is now a major problem his confidence will be shot and teams have targeted our right side all season and done well against it.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1198: Oct 09, 2022 07:21:02 pm
      he did well it is hard to come on as a defender but we looked better with him on. Trent is now a major problem his confidence will be shot and teams have targeted our right side all season and done well against it.

Without doubt his confidence is shot but doesn’t make him a bad player he just needs benching or a shot in the reserves. I know the feeling only to well when I backed a few losers on the bounce with Greyhounds.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1199: Oct 09, 2022 07:42:06 pm
      Showed some much needed physicality when he came on.  Started the season poor, but that was better cameo.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #1200: Oct 13, 2022 02:06:07 pm
      That assist for Firmino’s second was absolutely pin point
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1201: Oct 13, 2022 02:24:32 pm
      Somebody in a podcast described him perfectly.

He's a good 90s full back
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #1202: Oct 16, 2022 06:40:22 pm
      He’s back to his best now and was beastly today. Please stay injury free now
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #1203: Oct 16, 2022 06:40:57 pm
      19th clean sheet in 38 PL games when starting at centre-back alongside Virgil Van Dijk  :o
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1204: Oct 16, 2022 06:41:07 pm
      He’s back to his best now and was beastly today. Please stay injury free now

Excellent from Joe today, keep it going now young man.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #1205: Oct 16, 2022 08:31:34 pm
      Have always said he is a good defender and he showed it today. Looked like he was basically man marking Haaland in the first half - although hard to tell if that was just Haaland targeting him and staying away from Virgil. Either way Joe did a great job on him. He got away from him once for a header, but that was about it. Lots of good blocks, tackles and focused defending. He's been a bit short of confidence recently - not surprising when he's slipped down the pecking order and had his history of injuries. But he is a quality defender, and his confidence should be back up after that performance. Hopefully he stays injury free and can get a run in the team, whether at CB or RB.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #1206: Oct 16, 2022 10:09:05 pm
      Delighted for the lad today. Ruptured Patella tendon is pretty much the worst injury you can get.  Deserves some good times.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #1207: Oct 16, 2022 10:19:10 pm
      Always thought he was the most promising of all our CB (VVD aside). I really hope he can stay free of  injury and fulfill his potential.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1208: Oct 16, 2022 11:04:51 pm
      Always thought he was the most promising of all our CB (VVD aside). I really hope he can stay free of  injury and fulfill his potential.

Keown was saying it takes two years to get over the injury he had so I stick with my assertion from before he was injured that he and Virgil are just a great match and they are like brothers. My MOTM today he was superb great timing with Konate now seeming delicate
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #1209: Oct 17, 2022 10:46:20 pm
      Great opportunity for Joe with Konate and Matip out injured to cement a place alongside Virgil in the back 4, thought he was exceptional yesterday and looked calm and composed at CB.
      Well played Joe.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1210: Oct 21, 2022 12:14:15 am
      He was playing great against West ham as well till he had that brain fade that gave away the penalty. After that moment, he went to sh*t and seemed like he lost all confidence. The dominoe effect then set in with everyone esle seemingly shitting themselves again.

Thank F**k we got the 3 points. Would have been ropeable if we dropped points, when we seemed to be cruising all the way up to the pen.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #1211: Oct 23, 2022 02:32:09 am
      Joe is a good boy, and has been a great servant at this club. He can do a job and CB / RB. However, he shouldn't be starting regularly. He is a bit to impulsive and has a bit of Harry Maguire in him from time to time ;D.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1212: Oct 23, 2022 12:27:28 pm
      Very inconsistent in the CB role at the minute.

I really think he can do a job for us at RB and push Trent to improve, hopefully, our CB's can come back fit ASAP so we can stop using him at CB.

Seems to lose all confidence when playing at CB.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #1213: Jan 29, 2023 03:29:45 pm
      That was gutless by Joe at the end for their goal turning your back in that fashion
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #1214: Jan 29, 2023 04:08:41 pm
      That was gutless by Joe at the end for their goal turning your back in that fashion
      Keita did exactly the same thing  for the Brighton equaliser turned his arse towards the lamptey shot
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #1215: Jan 29, 2023 04:11:53 pm
      Keita did exactly the same thing  for the Brighton equaliser turned his arse towards the lamptey shot

Bar a few decent months alongside vvd years ago ... done absolutely nothing. Bye bye this summer.

Pathetic and shambolic for the winner. Oohhh the ball might hit me ... better turn my back and let it go in rather than take one.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1216: Jan 29, 2023 04:53:23 pm
      Bar a few decent months alongside vvd years ago ... done absolutely nothing. Bye bye this summer.

Pathetic and shambolic for the winner. Oohhh the ball might hit me ... better turn my back and let it go in rather than take one.

You'd think Gomez would have learnt his lesson from when he got taken to the cleaners by Welbeck a couple of weeks ago.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #1217: Jan 29, 2023 05:05:19 pm
      Looked an absolute tit turning his back for the winning goal. I don't know whether he was shirking it altogether hoping the appearance of his back might magically ward off the danger or if he just got totally fooled by Mitoma's flick but either way that was shithouse defending so late in the game. He is so far off it at this point it's a joke.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #1218: Jan 29, 2023 09:03:49 pm
      Towards the end of 2018 he had the world at his feet - fought back from the ACL injury and had a superb partnership with Virgil. Unfortunately he picked up 2-3 major injuries again in a row and simply isn't the same player since. If you consider last season he only really played RB he's basically gone two years without a run in the team at centre back - at this level that kind of absence means you'll usually be left behind and that's what's happened.

I know he's English and we are struggling on that front but he's one that might actually command a decent fee from a club like Villa etc. so we will have a decision to make this summer.

Quick Reply