Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)

Read 166723 times
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Re: Joe Gomez Player Thread (D)
      Reply #1242: Feb 21, 2023 10:22:27 pm
      Excellent Player, just lacks confidence at the moment. Our light weight , leaky midfield doesnt help
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1243: Feb 21, 2023 10:34:58 pm
      Excellent Player, just lacks confidence at the moment. Our light weight , leaky midfield doesnt help

Excellent 😂😂

PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #1244: Feb 21, 2023 10:48:49 pm
      Disagree. He's had two early spells where he did indeed look world class and was unlucky to see both end in long term injuries. Other than those two spells he always looks the way he did tonight when given an extended run in the starting 11. His decision making is awful. I can't fault him (individually) for us being sh*t at defending set-pieces, but why are you fouling their winger so close to our box with nowhere for him to go? Vini also rehearsed his first goal 2 or 3 times before he finally put it in and each time Gomez is nowhere near closing him enough to prevent a quality shot let alone stop him from shooting.

I'm not saying VVD played a good game tonight, but I can understand him turning around and looking at him with that look on his face. You're playing a knock-out game against RM at home and your basics are off.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,609 posts | 365 
      Reply #1245: Feb 21, 2023 10:48:53 pm
      Hes pitiful.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1246: Feb 21, 2023 10:50:23 pm
      Calamity
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #1247: Feb 21, 2023 10:52:55 pm
      Disagree. He's had two early spells where he did indeed look world class and was unlucky to see both end in long term injuries. Other than those two spells he always looks the way he did tonight when given an extended run in the starting 11. His decision making is awful. I can't fault him (individually) for us being sh*t at defending set-pieces, but why are you fouling their winger so close to our box with nowhere for him to go? Vini also rehearsed his first goal 2 or 3 times before he finally put it in and each time Gomez is nowhere near closing him enough to prevent a quality shot let alone stop him from shooting.

I'm not saying VVD played a good game tonight, but I can understand him turning around and looking at him with that look on his face. You're playing a knock-out game against RM at home and your basics are off.

The two seasons we won the CL and the league he seemed to be the preferred partner for VVD mainly for his pace covering but that horror knee injury has just done him in
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #1248: Feb 21, 2023 10:58:12 pm

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #1249: Feb 21, 2023 11:03:37 pm
      Should have been put out to pasture after Brighton and sold in the summer.

But no .... we had to have our hands burned again. Can't do the most basic of basics. A total liability ....

But I blame this on klopp. He gave him 5 years despite showing the square root of FA when he wasn't injured.

And now he keeps picking him despite tye fact that he is obviously out of his depth.

He was so out of his depth tonight he was pure comedy and it was sad to see.

I'd argue with anyone ... even Jürgen as to how this lad gets a game over Nat Philips. Nat isn't the quickest but he's a million times a better defender than Joe Gomez. End of story.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #1250: Feb 21, 2023 11:04:10 pm

Obvious wum is obvious.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #1251: Feb 21, 2023 11:11:57 pm
      The two seasons we won the CL and the league he seemed to be the preferred partner for VVD mainly for his pace covering but that horror knee injury has just done him in
      Exactly. I mean I'm sorry for piling up on him the way I am considering he did look very good two times and those runs were halted by injuries, but the truth is he's just never got back near that form ever since the second injury. The sad thing is that he's still fast enough, but its the poor decision making and the out of sync defending that kills it for him (and us incidentally). You simply cant go out and put this level of performance in the knockout stage of the CL, at home, against RM and turn around and tell me you're world class.

I know Trent just makes everything worse for him on that right hand side, but come on. Trent isn't the reason you dont close down Vinicius about 3 times before he finally scores. Trent is not the reason you very naively foul Vinicius when you did not need to at all in an area you absolutely dont want to concede a free-kick in. Directly and heavily involved in 3 of the 5 goals we conceded tonight (and that's because I stopped after the 4th so I have no idea what happened on the 5th).

I know emotions run high right after a game, but the judgment I'm making of the player has basically been simmering in my mind for about a season and a half now. I made the same type of call about Jones earlier in the season and was told I'm being too harsh (and probably rightly so), but I think I'm right on both counts. Simply just not good enough both of them.

If a cleanup is indeed what is intended for this summer then I'd say one of him or Matip has to go. I dont say both because I think its hard to move both and replace them with quality enough options in one window all while solving our crisis in the midfield. Find a way to sell one and get someone like Gvardiol in. Matip is mentioned more because of the fact you can't expect him to stay fit more than anything else really because I think he forms a good partnership with VVD, in general.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #1252: Feb 22, 2023 12:41:22 pm
      Exactly. I mean I'm sorry for piling up on him the way I am considering he did look very good two times and those runs were halted by injuries, but the truth is he's just never got back near that form ever since the second injury. The sad thing is that he's still fast enough, but its the poor decision making and the out of sync defending that kills it for him (and us incidentally). You simply cant go out and put this level of performance in the knockout stage of the CL, at home, against RM and turn around and tell me you're world class.

I know Trent just makes everything worse for him on that right hand side, but come on. Trent isn't the reason you dont close down Vinicius about 3 times before he finally scores. Trent is not the reason you very naively foul Vinicius when you did not need to at all in an area you absolutely dont want to concede a free-kick in. Directly and heavily involved in 3 of the 5 goals we conceded tonight (and that's because I stopped after the 4th so I have no idea what happened on the 5th).

I know emotions run high right after a game, but the judgment I'm making of the player has basically been simmering in my mind for about a season and a half now. I made the same type of call about Jones earlier in the season and was told I'm being too harsh (and probably rightly so), but I think I'm right on both counts. Simply just not good enough both of them.

If a cleanup is indeed what is intended for this summer then I'd say one of him or Matip has to go. I dont say both because I think its hard to move both and replace them with quality enough options in one window all while solving our crisis in the midfield. Find a way to sell one and get someone like Gvardiol in. Matip is mentioned more because of the fact you can't expect him to stay fit more than anything else really because I think he forms a good partnership with VVD, in general.

Thing is I think VVD has been a passenger for 18 months or so now.
      Knee injuries can do that. I personally think we should be looking for a partner for kanate.
      Gomez has had his career derailed because of those horrible injuries but the point remains he’s no longer good enough.
      VVD is at that age where those kind of injuries can knock years off your legs. He’s never recovered and is only going to go down hill more now.
      Matip the same.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1253: Feb 22, 2023 01:07:51 pm
      Thing is I think VVD has been a passenger for 18 months or so now.
      Knee injuries can do that. I personally think we should be looking for a partner for kanate.
      Gomez has had his career derailed because of those horrible injuries but the point remains he’s no longer good enough.
      VVD is at that age where those kind of injuries can knock years off your legs. He’s never recovered and is only going to go down hill more now.
      Matip the same.

I think we need to be looking at two new CBs....Konate can't stay fit. Starting to think he'll be a Matip like luxury. Good when he's available, but don't count on him getting a ton of games unless it's a fluke.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1254: Feb 22, 2023 01:58:21 pm

Have to say Im agreeing about gomez now. Too many mistakes happening too often.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1255: Feb 22, 2023 02:28:28 pm
      Have to say Im agreeing about gomez now. Too many mistakes happening too often.

Been saying it for a few years Brez.

UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #1256: Feb 22, 2023 04:37:38 pm
      Been saying it for a few years Brez.

He’s 26 this year as well. Not a kid anymore and although defenders usually peak later than other positions he just doesn’t look like he will ever reach the potential he had before the injuries.

Although a lot of his mistakes have nothing to do with old injuries….
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1257: Feb 22, 2023 04:39:58 pm
      He’s 26 this year as well. Not a kid anymore and although defenders usually peak later than other positions he just doesn’t look like he will ever reach the potential he had before the injuries.

Although a lot of his mistakes have nothing to do with old injuries….

May actual do him good at another club with less pressure tbh.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #1258: Feb 22, 2023 04:44:43 pm
      May actual do him good at another club with less pressure tbh.

It does show that if he’s not good enough, and Phillips ain’t good enough, and with matip and VVD not being mobile at the minute and kanate always injured….

Maybe we need a rebuild in defence.
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #1259: Feb 22, 2023 05:09:16 pm
      Consistency key for Joe two clean sheets prior to yesterday then 2 or 3 clean sheets prior to his previous shocker against Wolves. If you assess 80 minutes per game he does well its just his mistakes are so costly and just seems to lose focus and not concentrate the full shift
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #1260: Feb 22, 2023 05:17:22 pm
      Consistency key for Joe two clean sheets prior to yesterday then 2 or 3 clean sheets prior to his previous shocker against Wolves. If you assess 80 minutes per game he does well its just his mistakes are so costly and just seems to lose focus and not concentrate the full shift

Like Titus bramble was. Seemed that every mistake he made was always punished by the opponent. Decent for most of the game but loses concentration for parts….
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #1261: Feb 22, 2023 05:38:30 pm
      The very fact he’s turned his back at least twice and cost us goals is enough for me , we need our players to run through walls for us , not act like kids afraid of taking one for the team simply unforgivable for me anyway got to go .
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #1262: Feb 22, 2023 05:59:43 pm
      He's got no confidence now that he knows his body won't bail him out of tricky situations like it used to. That lack of confidence is now spilling over into other aspects of his game like that stupid foul for the third goal and the way he turned his back on the fourth.

Needs moving on in the summer, the fact he's English shouldn't save him.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #1263: Feb 22, 2023 06:08:40 pm

He was good after his injury too. ALL our defenders look sh*t at the moment. Our weak midfield just makes them all EXTRA vulnerable. It was Trent first, Now Joe, eventually they're gonna say VVD is past it, then if Robertson makes a mistake it'll eventually be all his fault. Even Konate looked useless after making it to a world cup final ;D.

Its just easy (and lazy) to scapegoat individuals. Much harder to analyze the system. BUT ANYWAYS lets all PILE ON JOE!!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1264: Feb 22, 2023 07:22:58 pm
      When Virgil was impenetrable it didn't matter who was next to him....everyone looked good. Now that he looks vulnerable, it doesn't much matter who you put next to him....they look vulnerable too.

Quick Reply