Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Roberto Firmino Player Thread (F)

Read 376057 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Re: Roberto Firmino Player Thread
      Reply #1035: Jan 26, 2017 11:13:12 am
      We played a diamond, with Bobby and Studge the forward central pairing.

So, let's get that excuse out of the way.

Did we really?

Looked 4 3 3 to me albeit with Bobby and Phil drifting as they tend to.

Danny and Bobby definitely weren't playing as a 2 from what I seen last night.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,200 posts | 836 
      Reply #1036: Jan 26, 2017 11:29:10 am

Nope

Bobby was playing on the right, he was cutting in through the right hand side.
      Kopite78
      Reply #1037: Jan 26, 2017 11:34:26 am
      Did we really?

No we didn't Si

Clear in the ground we were playing a 4-3-3

Firmino off the right Phil off the left of Sturridge

Hendo flanked by Can and Lallana  in the middle 3

Because they were sat so deep Coutinho was dropping into central areas on the ball but the set up was 4-3-3 not a diamond
      « Last Edit: Jan 26, 2017 12:20:09 pm by Kopite78 »
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1038: Jan 26, 2017 11:36:29 am

Whilst on paper it was set up as a diamond with Coutinho in the #10 role Sturridge was occupying the central role. To make it clearer Firmino is most effectI've when played as the central man of the front 3.

You can "Studge" and "Danny" him all you want sad  to say and see he's finished. Unique and class player in his day but his body is shot he's injuries have taken their toll.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1039: Jan 26, 2017 11:58:18 am
      Did we really?

Yes.

We had a four man midfield with Coutinho at the head of the diamond.

Bobby had the freedom as much as Sturridge did to play down the center, so all this talk of him being out of the center is rubbish.

Plus it's also worth noting that Jürgen obviously endorses fluidity in his attacking play; but if Firmino is that poor he has to occupy the center of the attack all by himself, that's a bit of a disservice to him by all his fan boi's out there.

« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2017 12:13:30 pm by Beerbelly »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1040: Jan 26, 2017 12:14:05 pm
      No we didn't Si

Clear in the ground we were playing a 4-3-3

Firmino off the right Phil off the left of Sturridge

Hendo flanked by Can and Lallana  in the middle 3

You wasn't at the right ground then.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #1041: Jan 26, 2017 01:56:15 pm
      Yes.

We had a four man midfield with Coutinho at the head of the diamond.

Bobby had the freedom as much as Sturridge did to play down the center, so all this talk of him being out of the center is rubbish.

Plus it's also worth noting that Jürgen obviously endorses fluidity in his attacking play; but if Firmino is that poor he has to occupy the center of the attack all by himself, that's a bit of a disservice to him by all his fan boi's out there.

Not how I seen it mate.

For me it was 4 3 3 with Bobby and Phil drifting but Danny was the clear CF.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1042: Jan 26, 2017 02:25:04 pm
      Not how I seen it mate.

That's because it was.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1043: Jan 26, 2017 10:52:38 pm
      Not how I seen it mate.

Fair enough.

I saw Firmino and Sturridge occupy the central positions, with Phil behind them.

I didn't see 3 forwards.

I think Klopp tried to emulate the diamond formation that actually beat Southampton 6-1 last season.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1044: Jan 26, 2017 11:21:32 pm
      Fair enough.

I saw Firmino and Sturridge occupy the central positions, with Phil behind them.

I didn't see 3 forwards.

I think Klopp tried to emulate the diamond formation that actually beat Southampton 6-1 last season.

For the first half, I too saw Coutinho playing at the tip of a diamond, but Firmino was mostly on the right (or at least, moving there to stretch the play) and Sturridge pretty much the same and drifting.

second half felt more 433 though.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1045: Jan 27, 2017 02:35:37 am
      For the first half, I too saw Coutinho playing at the tip of a diamond, but Firmino was mostly on the right (or at least, moving there to stretch the play) and Sturridge pretty much the same and drifting.

second half felt more 433 though.

Well, I viewed it similar in that Firmino was in and around Sturridge and Klopp tried to work them off one another.

It didn't work. But Firmino was no better than Sturridge, who at least found himself in one good goal scoring position.

Problem here is, we have a bit of double standards going on. Because when Sturridge was told to go on at Burnley and play from a wider position as a sub where he said he was given no instructions with it. He was criticised for it, and all the talk was about "fluidity". In that he could come in and interchange with Bobby and whomever.

Now, Bobby isn't expected to use this same "fluidity" as he can only apparently play in the central role and nowhere else. Now, 4 goals in the last 14 games for a player who has to play in that position to get that kind of end product rate, is very poor IMO. He obviously brings more than that to the team as he is generally a fantastic team player. But when he's up against teams who sit like that, he isn't the answer for the central role IMO.

And again, he was as ineffective if not more so than Sturridge if you take back into account the "fluidity" Klopp endorses.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,332 posts | 183 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #1046: Jan 27, 2017 06:27:45 pm

Now, 4 goals in the last 14 games for a player who has to play in that position to get that kind of end product rate, is very poor IMO.

Has Bobby played central in all 14 of those games? If not I fail to see your point.

The only reason you would pick Sturridge central instead of Firmino is because you expect him to score more goals. If both are innefective at it, Firmino gets the upper hand based on his workrate. So basically what I'm saying is if Sturridge is not scoring regularly there's no reason at all to play him.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #1047: Jan 27, 2017 06:31:20 pm
      Well, I viewed it similar in that Firmino was in and around Sturridge and Klopp tried to work them off one another.

It didn't work. But Firmino was no better than Sturridge, who at least found himself in one good goal scoring position.

Problem here is, we have a bit of double standards going on. Because when Sturridge was told to go on at Burnley and play from a wider position as a sub where he said he was given no instructions with it. He was criticised for it, and all the talk was about "fluidity". In that he could come in and interchange with Bobby and whomever.

Now, Bobby isn't expected to use this same "fluidity" as he can only apparently play in the central role and nowhere else. Now, 4 goals in the last 14 games for a player who has to play in that position to get that kind of end product rate, is very poor IMO. He obviously brings more than that to the team as he is generally a fantastic team player. But when he's up against teams who sit like that, he isn't the answer for the central role IMO.

And again, he was as ineffective if not more so than Sturridge if you take back into account the "fluidity" Klopp endorses.

I'm not sure I've seen anyone say he can only play a central role, just that playing though the middle this season has got the best out of Bobby and also coincided with our best run of form.

He can at other positions but he's most effective, especially for us, through the middle.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1048: Jan 27, 2017 06:39:16 pm

Yep and to be fair he wasted his chances. Firmino offers us more in that central area than Daniel does so for me he gets the nod there.

Going forward I want us to sign a reliable striker, but for now I believe we'd be better off with Firmino central and Sturridge back on the bench, or even back at Melwood.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,756 posts | 884 
      Reply #1049: Jan 27, 2017 07:21:05 pm

Top post mate. You see it correctly. The double standard / hypocrisy with the sturridge criticism is blatant.

I would take it a step further, and suggest that playing Firmino is disrupting Sturridge's game. They don't seem to flow, and as Sturridge is a far better player, it is bordering on madness to be prioritising Firmino.

What is lacking from Sturridge at the moment is game time. The goals will come if he gets minutes consistently, but I expect yet again that Sturridge will play in the cup game (lesser importance) and then benched for the Chelsea match.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1050: Jan 27, 2017 07:35:23 pm
      Top post mate. You see it correctly. The double standard / hypocrisy with the sturridge criticism is blatant.

I would take it a step further, and suggest that playing Firmino is disrupting Sturridge's game. They don't seem to flow, and as Sturridge is a far better player, it is bordering on madness to be prioritising Firmino.

What is lacking from Sturridge at the moment is game time. The goals will come if he gets minutes consistently, but I expect yet again that Sturridge will play in the cup game (lesser importance) and then benched for the Chelsea match.

So Sturridge is your new Victor Moses?

Shame why some posters can't just support our players and stop making up sh*t.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1051: Jan 27, 2017 07:38:16 pm

One would say it is borderline on madness to be prioritizing Sturridge over Firmino because he is so injury prone.

Sturridge may be a better goal scorer, but one thing you won't get out of him is games week in, week out, especially with how Klopp wants us to play.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #1052: Jan 27, 2017 10:23:19 pm

On current form Sturridge is nowhere near the better player between the two.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1053: Jan 27, 2017 11:30:37 pm
      On current form Sturridge is nowhere near the better player between the two.

Firmino has been pretty inconsistent himself mate.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #1054: Jan 27, 2017 11:37:51 pm
      Firmino has been pretty inconsistent himself mate.

I'm mean over the last year or so.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1055: Jan 27, 2017 11:46:54 pm

Don't worry mate most fans only think of the current hence why they are great managers on FM.......!

I won't even bother trying to find out the number of games Sturridge has been available over the last few seasons.

I'm not a advocate of we need to bin Sturridge but it's looking like he has lost his most potent weapon, his acceleration over the first 5-10 yards to get away from a defender to unleash a shot.

So the question might be do we change the system to cater for a poacher, because no doubt he is still our best goal scorer.
      Somehow I doubt Jürgen will change his philosophy which then begs the question will he stay to be a bench option, not sure he will but hopefully we can convince him as the likes of Palace or West Ham are hardly appealing!
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1056: Jan 28, 2017 12:08:13 am

Don't worry mate most fans only think of the current hence why they are great managers on FM.......!

I won't even bother trying to find out the number of games Sturridge has been available over the last few seasons.

I'm not a advocate of we need to bin Sturridge but it's looking like he has lost his most potent weapon, his acceleration over the first 5-10 yards to get away from a defender to unleash a shot.

So the question might be do we change the system to cater for a poacher, because no doubt he is still our best goal scorer.
      Somehow I doubt Jürgen will change his philosophy which then begs the question will he stay to be a bench option, not sure he will but hopefully we can convince him as the likes of Palace or West Ham are hardly appealing!

You said this on Dec 20th:

I think we all know how good he can be and its just dissapointing we have not seen the real Firmino for a while, but he's a quality player and sooner or later will snap out of this mini slump.

Have we seen the real Firmino consistently since then?
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1057: Jan 28, 2017 12:09:50 am

Sorry, when you said 'current' I didn't realise that meant the previous 365 days.  ;D :D

Quick Reply