Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Roberto Firmino Player Thread (F)

Read 376335 times
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Re: Roberto Firmino Player Thread
      Reply #1173: Apr 06, 2017 08:13:05 am
      Since he scored twice against Swansea it's 1 in 9 I think for Bobby in the league (assuming he played all 9).
      He is our central attacker and if any other player in that position in the top 6 went on a run like that it would be all over the news, the manager would be getting questions on it etc etc. With Bobby no-one even notices, we just expect it and take it as normal. Oh for the days where if Fernando Torres didn't score for 2 games you wondered what was up
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1174: Apr 06, 2017 08:20:38 am
      Since he scored twice against Swansea it's 1 in 9 I think for Bobby in the league (assuming he played all 9).
      He is our central attacker and if any other player in that position in the top 6 went on a run like that it would be all over the news, the manager would be getting questions on it etc etc. With Bobby no-one even notices, we just expect it and take it as norma. Oh for the days where if Fernando Torres didn't score for 2 games you wondered what was up

This.

Spot on.

:gt-happyup:

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1175: Apr 06, 2017 08:48:43 am
      Said it before, I can't work out his best position as he doesn't score enough to be a striker, too wasteful with the ball in midfield, too slow as a wide forward.
      Maybe he might be better suited as a 10  ???

Alternatively just play him when we need his work rate against the Top 6?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1176: Apr 06, 2017 08:50:15 am
      He is our central attacker and if any other player in that position in the top 6 went on a run like that it would be all over the news, the manager would be getting questions on it etc etc. With Bobby no-one even notices, we just expect it and take it as normal. Oh for the days where if Fernando Torres didn't score for 2 games you wondered what was up

Its a good point, he really isn't a striker though and he does do a hell of a lot of excellent work for the team, but Bobby, for the love of God, please start scoring some F***ing goals as well, that's a good lad.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1177: Apr 06, 2017 08:53:58 am
      Said it before, I can't work out his best position as he doesn't score enough to be a striker, too wasteful with the ball in midfield, too slow as a wide forward.
      Maybe he might be better suited as a 10  ???

Alternatively just play him when we need his work rate against the Top 6?

He's probably best as an attacking Midfielder, which is kind of where he plays, this works fine as long as you have a player like Mane and Couts playing alongside him as he creates space and opportunities for them, but when its only Bobby you have  a big issue. If Bobby can start scoring goals more regularly then he would be one hell of a player but I just don't think he has it in him.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1178: Apr 06, 2017 09:28:41 am
      He does run around a lot though, you've gotta give him that.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #1179: Apr 06, 2017 10:19:01 am
      He does run around a lot though, you've gotta give him that.

For that reason alone he is guaranteed a start every game.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1180: Apr 06, 2017 11:22:31 am
      He's probably best as an attacking Midfielder, which is kind of where he plays, this works fine as long as you have a player like Mane and Couts playing alongside him as he creates space and opportunities for them, but when its only Bobby you have  a big issue. If Bobby can start scoring goals more regularly then he would be one hell of a player but I just don't think he has it in him.

Yeah your probably right I think him just behind a top striker might also be a good idea.

I'm probably being a bit harsh on Bobby as he has contributed to being part of a attacking unit which has scored for fun so far.

Not his fault our sh*t house defenders can't cope with bum teams.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1181: Apr 06, 2017 11:46:29 am
      The problem with trying to implement Firmino at number 10 is it'll have a knock on effect with the rest of the midfield/attack. Can has shown that he can't be trusted to play the holding role in a 2 man midfield because he wanders off. There were also questions when we signed Wijnaldum about his suitability to playing centre mid in a 2 man midfield.

In a 4-3-3, Can & Wijnaldum have the license to go forward because Henderson or Lucas will always be there to protect the back line. In a 4-2-3-1 they are far more restricted. Using a 4-2-3-1 also means that we have zero attacking options on the bench other than a bunch of academy kids. How Klopp thought our squad was good enough to get through January and challenge for the title is beyond me tbh. The issues were glaringly obvious.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1182: Apr 06, 2017 03:00:21 pm
      If we're still trying to figure out what Firmino's best position is two years on then maybe perhaps he isn't really the player we need to reach the standards we aspire to?
      « Last Edit: Apr 06, 2017 03:05:37 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1183: Apr 06, 2017 03:55:13 pm
      If we're still trying to figure out what Firmino's best position is two years on then maybe perhaps he isn't really the player we need to reach the standards we aspire to?

IMO there shouldn't be much of a problem realising what his best position is. The real problem is finding out how to play him in his best position whilst getting the best out of everybody else in theirs and also getting our best players on the field. To play him as a 10 you're talking about leaving out one of Wijnaldum or Lallana.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1184: Apr 06, 2017 04:06:29 pm
      FWIW I think Bobby's best position is the 10 in a 4-2-3-1. While we've tried that formation on occasion I just don't think we have the 2 to carry a midfield pairing and neither do we have the striker who could be effective enough to put the midfield under such pressure.

We need both to make that move a good one. The striker has to be a player who can interplay and play wide also, so when one of Mane/Firmino do interchange we don't simply stop  the supply.

Out of our midfielders though I'm not confident that any of them are actually suited to either of the roles in that formation. It takes special players who I don't think we have. Lucas would be the best of them in terms of ability but his legs would be an absolute liability in a 2.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1185: Apr 06, 2017 04:09:54 pm
      FWIW I think Bobby's best position is the 10 in a 4-2-3-1. While we've tried that formation on occasion I just don't think we have the 2 to carry a midfield pairing and neither do we have the striker who could be effective enough to put the midfield under such pressure.

We need both to make that move a good one. The striker has to be a player who can interplay and play wide also, so when one of Mane/Firmino do interchange we don't simply stop  the supply.

Out of our midfielders though I'm not confident that any of them are actually suited to either of the roles in that formation. It takes special players who I don't think we have. Lucas would be the best of them in terms of ability but his legs would be an absolute liability in a 2.

So do I.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1186: Apr 06, 2017 04:19:14 pm
      FWIW I think Bobby's best position is the 10 in a 4-2-3-1.

Unfortunately, I think we have 2 better players than him in Coutinho and Lallana for the #10 role, perhaps even Mane :(
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1187: Apr 06, 2017 04:23:13 pm

I'm glad you all got there eventually. 😉

As for best position, hmmm... something like buzzing round and feeding off a dedicated striker. I'd see him and Sadio playing alongside that Aubameyang lad (for example) and scoring for fun.

Still... better late than never. 😁
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1188: Apr 06, 2017 04:26:16 pm
      I'm glad you all got there eventually. 😉

Still... better late than never. 😁

I've "said it all along" mate  :lmao:, (I probably haven't, can't remember to tell the truth). On a slightly different note, if Firmino had Gerrard playing on the right and scoring 20 odd goals like Torres did, he's probably be fine as a number 9! 
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #1189: Apr 08, 2017 05:14:55 pm
      What a F***ing goal,that was,

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1190: Apr 09, 2017 12:58:29 am

Is right!

Although, saw a stat earlier that across all top 5 leagues in Europe, he's been booked the most times for excessive celebration (7). Not bad going I guess so long as he keeps sticking them in the net
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1191: Apr 09, 2017 02:04:07 am
      Hope today shows how important he is.

Changed the game in attack and got everyone involved. He had a touch in every attacking move in the second half.

FWIW I think Bobby's best position is the 10 in a 4-2-3-1.

If Rodgers described Suarez and Danny "9.5s" a couple years back, Bob is a "9.75". A playmaker more than a striker but he's definitely a hybrid of the two.

If we land a big time striker i think we will be very close to a 4-2-4 next season with Bob and a striker playing up top with Phil and Mane on the flanks floating around.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,490 posts | 1478 
      Reply #1192: Apr 09, 2017 07:44:49 am
      It really was a belter of a goal & I can see it being right up there for goal of the season.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,703 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #1193: Apr 09, 2017 09:04:14 am
      Big big goal but BIGGER in term of confidence and the push it will give us!

Well done Bobby.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #1194: Apr 09, 2017 08:53:49 pm

Changed the game in attack and got everyone involved. He had a touch in every attacking move in the second half.

If Rodgers described Suarez and Danny "9.5s" a couple years back, Bob is a "9.75". A playmaker more than a striker but he's definitely a hybrid of the two.

If we land a big time striker i think we will be very close to a 4-2-4 next season with Bob and a striker playing up top with Phil and Mane on the flanks floating around.

Agree.

He's almost a number 9 but just not quite.

Class act none the less.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1195: Apr 09, 2017 09:09:10 pm

That's the dream formation for me. Bobby seems like the ideal false 9 with 2 strikers.

Quick Reply