Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Roberto Firmino Player Thread (F)

Read 373466 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Roberto Firmino Player Thread
      Reply #2323: Oct 22, 2020 08:58:14 am
      Bobby is a shadow of the player he was two seasons ago. Work rate has dropped, goals have dried up, no pace, link up play not what it was, fancy flicks not working.

Not sure how much worse he has to get before Jürgen benches him.

I agree with this, its not just the lack of goals, he was never prolific for us, its the drop off in link up play and even pressing which means that in most games he's almost a liability. I'd much prefer to give Minamino and/or Jota a run of games in his place.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,106 posts | 2762 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2324: Oct 22, 2020 09:58:14 am
      Workrate is still top notch. For me needs 1 of 3 things to happen

1) Needs a goal

2) Needs a run out of the team

3) Needs a tweak to the system to allow him become more of a goal threat
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 624 posts | 59 
      Reply #2325: Oct 22, 2020 12:54:50 pm
      Needs benching, a long way from being world class, if it was a couple of games i could understand Klopp keeping faith in him, but he was poor back end of last season, and re-start, no goals this season, and not looking like scoring any. Not having a go at the lad, just saying it as it is, at the mo, he is not playing well enough to warrant starting every match.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6354 
      Reply #2326: Oct 24, 2020 11:00:19 pm
      Played well, got himself a goal. Did well in build up and pressing. Should help his confidence.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2327: Oct 24, 2020 11:06:55 pm
      Makes simple things look hard and the hard things look simple
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,684 posts | 6690 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2328: Oct 25, 2020 12:50:28 am
      Thank F**k he got a goal, let's hope the floodgates open now!
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #2329: Nov 02, 2020 05:33:58 pm
      I do not think it's a coincidence Bobby has been poor and we've been less than convincing since project restart.

I hope we see him back to his best soon as I think he makes our system tick.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #2330: Nov 03, 2020 10:39:30 pm
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #2331: Nov 03, 2020 11:03:41 pm
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,653 posts | 1585 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #2332: Nov 03, 2020 11:15:48 pm
      Having Jota in his place might be the kick up the bum he needs, we all know he hasn't been on his game recently, but I actually thought he looked good and hungry when he came on tonight and got stuck in, I love Bobby and I certainly think he'll get back to his best, but he just needs a break and some time.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #2333: Nov 04, 2020 07:48:32 am
      Having Jota in his place might be the kick up the bum he needs, we all know he hasn't been on his game recently, but I actually thought he looked good and hungry when he came on tonight and got stuck in, I love Bobby and I certainly think he'll get back to his best, but he just needs a break and some time.

Got into great positions and could have scored a couple. He’s superb
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #2334: Nov 04, 2020 09:47:31 am
      Bobby getting pelters in here by the looks of it. Much like the debate against some of our midfielders at times with lots of fans not quite understanding his role within the team. Evidently we are top of the table and cruising in the Zchampions a League in spite of him? Think how good we’d be doing if the rest of the lads didn’t have to carry him?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,865 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2335: Nov 04, 2020 10:28:04 am
      Bobby getting pelters in here by the looks of it. Much like the debate against some of our midfielders at times with lots of fans not quite understanding his role within the team. Evidently we are top of the table and cruising in the Zchampions a League in spite of him? Think how good we’d be doing if the rest of the lads didn’t have to carry him?

I think it's more a case of Jota playing out of his skin and obviously Firminio has to sit on the bench due to lack of form.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #2336: Nov 04, 2020 10:34:09 am
      Bob needs a rest, don’t know why some are  writing his playing obituary...

rossyred

• 9,242 posts | 1652 
      Reply #2337: Nov 04, 2020 12:39:19 pm
      Bob needs a rest, don’t know why some are  writing his playing obituary...

Not sure people writing obituary more that others don't seem to see that he has not been the usual high standard and that the extra quality we all asked for is now here and putting pressure on the front 3
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #2338: Nov 04, 2020 01:52:27 pm
      Not sure people writing obituary more that others don't seem to see that he has not been the usual high standard and that the extra quality we all asked for is now here and putting pressure on the front 3

Have a read back through the thread dude, there's plenty who believe he is a passenger who is simply carried along by the brilliance of Mane and Salah. I can't argue with Jota getting the start at City this weekend, he has made a blinder of a start to his LFC career but similarly, I will not be in up in arms (like many others) in the match thread if Bobby gets the nod and starts the game.

Also, for the people who cry out for a number 9 to come in and score 20, they need to realise that a number 9 would hamper the movement and goal output of Mane and Salah. Our whole way of playing is built around a false 9. That (imho) is why Brewster was never really an option for Klopp). Fortunately for us it looks like Edwards has snagged another gem in Jota who can play wide or as a false 9. He is different because he wants to turn and run at defenders and it's fantastic that we've addressed the obvious drop in quality when one of the front 3 is not in the side.   
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,106 posts | 2762 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2339: Nov 04, 2020 02:20:34 pm
      Lads gone through a bad spell. That does not mean everything he done before that spell never happenned.

Some have given up on him, others short of claiming he was sh*te all along....

This is a top drawer selfless player vital to everything we have done...He will come good again  great players always do. He might need to reinvent himself but he will be back and we will need him...roll on his next no look pass or no look goal

Form is temporary, class is permanent
      rossyred

• 9,242 posts | 1652 
      Reply #2340: Nov 04, 2020 02:53:45 pm
      Lads gone through a bad spell. That does not mean everything he done before that spell never happenned.

Some have given up on him, others short of claiming he was sh*te all along....

This is a top drawer selfless player vital to everything we have done...He will come good again  great players always do. He might need to reinvent himself but he will be back and we will need him...roll on his next no look pass or no look goal

Form is temporary, class is permanent

Will see not sure people have given up or don't recognise his contribution but at the present he needs time out to regain his form
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #2341: Nov 04, 2020 03:11:29 pm
      Don't know why anyone takes any notice of knee jerk dickheads,  Jürgen wouldn't hear a word said against Firmino.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #2342: Nov 04, 2020 03:54:23 pm
      Don't know why anyone takes any notice of knee jerk dickheads,  Jürgen wouldn't hear a word said against Firmino.
      Exactly.

I am actually quite happy Jota has put his place in the first XI under threat due to the moment we are now in. With City on Sunday Pep will be like a mad man thinking do I plan for Firmino from the start who will be playing deep or do I plan for a front 3 with Jota from the start that is rapid and could kill us on a break. This hasn't given Klopp a selection headache but Pep will have one come Sunday afternoon wondering what Klopp might go with. Also I bet Pep is wishing he had Fernandinho available after seeing what kind of mood this side was in last night.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #2343: Nov 04, 2020 03:59:26 pm
      Exactly.

I am actually quite happy Jota has put his place in the first XI under threat due to the moment we are now in. With City on Sunday Pep will be like a mad man thinking do I plan for Firmino from the start who will be playing deep or do I plan for a front 3 with Jota from the start that is rapid and could kill us on a break. This hasn't given Klopp a selection headache but Pep will have one come Sunday afternoon wondering what Klopp might go with. Also I bet Pep is wishing he had Fernandinho available after seeing what kind of mood this side was in last night.

Excellent analysis and a real ballache for Pep.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6354 
      Reply #2344: Nov 04, 2020 04:00:40 pm
      Will see not sure people have given up or don't recognise his contribution but at the present he needs time out to regain his form

Why does everyone default to bench time to "regain form"?

Anyone that's involved with sport (at pretty much most any level) knows that some players are different than others. For some a ride on the pine might be what they need. For others, if you put them on the bench it only makes matters worse.

There's a saying in basketball...shooters in a slump have to shoot their way out of it. Don't know if that's universally true for a sport like football, but unless Firmino is tired (which I can't imagine why he would be) then I'm not sure time on the bench is going to cure him. The good news is, Klopp probably knows what Bobby needs and likely proceed accordingly. So whether Firmino is on the bench for awhile or continues to start, it's probably because Klopp knows what his player needs better than we do.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #2345: Nov 04, 2020 04:07:02 pm
      Why does everyone default to bench time to "regain form"?

Anyone that's involved with sport (at pretty much most any level) knows that some players are different than others. For some a ride on the pine might be what they need. For others, if you put them on the bench it only makes matters worse.

There's a saying in basketball...shooters in a slump have to shoot their way out of it. Don't know if that's universally true for a sport like football, but unless Firmino is tired (which I can't imagine why he would be) then I'm not sure time on the bench is going to cure him. The good news is, Klopp probably knows what Bobby needs and likely proceed accordingly. So whether Firmino is on the bench for awhile or continues to start, it's probably because Klopp knows what his player needs better than we do.

It wont magically make him regain form but it might motivate and re-focus him. That's what is meant here.

Quick Reply