Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Roberto Firmino Player Thread (F)

Read 376519 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Roberto Firmino Player Thread
      Reply #2507: Jan 18, 2021 04:01:30 pm
      It's because the anti-Firmino lot are short a few football chromosomes. The moment we go through a rough scoring patch the immediate reaction is to come here and say "we need to drop Firmino" and yet Mane and Salah go unmentioned.

In terms of scoring, this team is built around Salah first, then Mane, then Firmino to score and the first 2 are far more critical to get scoring for team success than anyone else on the team. Even when not scoring Firmino provides defense, pressing, work rate, build up from our own half and movement to create space for Mane and Salah to run into. Mane is similar with his work rate and defensive game working his ass off to recover the ball while Salah generally will hang out by the center line ready for the counter.

Salah hasn't scored a meaningful goal in over a month (against Palace by the time he came in and scored the game was already out of hand) but i don't see you commenting on the Salah thread about how he needs to pick it up. Unlike Firmino, when things aren't going Salah's way and isn't scoring he offers very little else. He's defensive game is subpar and constantly gives the ball away when trying to dribble past everyone in or around the box and eventually loses the ball.

Yesterday in the first half Firmino missed a chance with his left foot in the box, but the ball got to him not because of a pass but because Salah was once again trying to dribble past everyone and the ball pin-balled into Bobby's path, probably with a more difficult spin than if the ball was passed to him with appropriate weight. People's reaction is immediately to say "OMG Bobby, how can you miss that" instead of "OMG Salah, lift your f**king head and see the open man"

Firmino is obviously struggling offensively, but he immediately becomes the whipping boy when Mane and Salah are struggling even worse and offer less when they're not scoring.

;D, how bad would Bobby have to become for you to drop him or is it simply inconceivable it would ever happen? By the way I'm not letting Mo or Mane off the hook either but when we are good a lot of attacks build through Bobby so  when he is playing sh*t it all breaks down via him. He misplaced so many passes yesterday plus constantly chosing the wrong option and the less said about his finishing the better, I honestly think most of us could strike a ball better than Bobby at the moment.
      When a player is going through such a bad spell there comes a point where you need to drop them for their sake as well as the team and that point is well past now for Bobby.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #2508: Jan 18, 2021 05:26:46 pm
      It's because the anti-Firmino lot are short a few football chromosomes. The moment we go through a rough scoring patch the immediate reaction is to come here and say "we need to drop Firmino" and yet Mane and Salah go unmentioned.

In terms of scoring, this team is built around Salah first, then Mane, then Firmino to score and the first 2 are far more critical to get scoring for team success than anyone else on the team. Even when not scoring Firmino provides defense, pressing, work rate, build up from our own half and movement to create space for Mane and Salah to run into. Mane is similar with his work rate and defensive game working his ass off to recover the ball while Salah generally will hang out by the center line ready for the counter.

Salah hasn't scored a meaningful goal in over a month (against Palace by the time he came in and scored the game was already out of hand) but i don't see you commenting on the Salah thread about how he needs to pick it up. Unlike Firmino, when things aren't going Salah's way and isn't scoring he offers very little else. He's defensive game is subpar and constantly gives the ball away when trying to dribble past everyone in or around the box and eventually loses the ball.

Yesterday in the first half Firmino missed a chance with his left foot in the box, but the ball got to him not because of a pass but because Salah was once again trying to dribble past everyone and the ball pin-balled into Bobby's path, probably with a more difficult spin than if the ball was passed to him with appropriate weight. People's reaction is immediately to say "OMG Bobby, how can you miss that" instead of "OMG Salah, lift your f**king head and see the open man"

Firmino is obviously struggling offensively, but he immediately becomes the whipping boy when Mane and Salah are struggling even worse and offer less when they're not scoring.

What page are you on at the moment just as a matter of interest?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #2509: Jan 18, 2021 05:27:06 pm
      Careful asking for Bobby to be dropped on here you might be subjected to a virtual lynching. :D

He does though, looked good for 30 mins then went into his usual slumber. I can count on one hand how many good games he's had this season.

Would be the first of the three I'd jib off.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #2510: Jan 18, 2021 06:53:42 pm
      Thought Palace was a turning point but he's regressed massively again since then.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #2511: Jan 18, 2021 10:32:40 pm

Nah bollox to all that. All those qualities you mention Bobby brings to the team are the good old days when teams gave us lots of space, and Bobby had freedom to link play with ease. Teams have figured us out now and are playing in low blocks giving us much less space in the final third than previous seasons. In this situation Bobby's qualities diminish significantly as he does not have pace to create space in tight areas, and does not have the natural striker instincts to get in to goal scoring positions against tight defences. Drop Jota in to Bobby's position you will see a big difference as he has the pace to get behind defences and is obviously a much better goal scorer.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,335 posts | 6386 
      Reply #2512: Jan 19, 2021 10:57:22 am
      It always amazes me how Klopp explains that it’s not Bob’s main purpose to score goals but the experts among our fan base completely ignore that and think they know better. Meantime our two goal scoring forwards can’t hit a cow’s ass with a banjo right now.

Yea let’s drop Firmino from the lineup now (I think I’ve even read some mental giants suggest putting him in the reserves) and see how much better our team scores. I bet we’ll score buckets without him.  This thread really does showcase the worst of what Liverpool supporters has to offer. It’s almost worse than reading something on Reddit.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #2513: Jan 19, 2021 11:01:37 am
      It always amazes me how Klopp explains that it’s not Bob’s main purpose to score goals but the experts among our fan base completely ignore that and think they know better. Meantime our two goal scoring forwards can’t hit a cow’s ass with a banjo right now.

Yea let’s drop Firmino from the lineup now (I think I’ve even read some mental giants suggest putting him in the reserves) and see how much better our team scores. I bet we’ll score buckets without him.  This thread really does showcase the worst of what Liverpool supporters has to offer. It’s almost worse than reading something on Reddit.

I'd drop him and I'm one of his biggest fans on here.

Just because someone says they'd drop him doesn't also mean they don't understand what he brings to the team and what his role is.

I've been watching football long enough now to know the difference and he is out of form and not doing what he is in the team for pure and simple.

The only way to solve it is to keep playing him to see if he refinds his form or make a change in both player and or system.

To be honest I think we're beyond playing him back into form.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,335 posts | 6386 
      Reply #2514: Jan 19, 2021 11:10:30 am
      I'd drop him and I'm one of his biggest fans on here.

Just because someone says they'd drop him doesn't also mean they don't understand what he brings to the team and what his role is.

I've been watching football long enough now to know the difference and he is out of form and not doing what he is in the team for pure and simple.

The only way to solve it is to keep playing him to see if he refinds his form or make a change in both player and or system.

To be honest I think we're beyond playing him back into form.

Like I said, drop him then and see what we get, I think people will quickly see our problems don’t lie on the back of whether Firmino is scoring. It lies on the back of Virgil and Joe not playing, playing our midfielders in central defense, and TAA playing like absolute dogshit right now. We literally have a multi-faceted problem but people expect Firmino slotting in a goal or two is going to solve everything. (And never mind Mane and Salah’s poor form)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #2515: Jan 19, 2021 11:29:39 am
      Like I said, drop him then and see what we get, I think people will quickly see our problems don’t lie on the back of whether Firmino is scoring. It lies on the back of Virgil and Joe not playing, playing our midfielders in central defense, and TAA playing like absolute dogshit right now. We literally have a multi-faceted problem but people expect Firmino slotting in a goal or two is going to solve everything. (And never mind Mane and Salah’s poor form)

The entire front three aren't performing but Firmino isn't scoring and he isn't creating much or linking the play.

If the guy many of us agree is the key to the system working isn't performing you need to make a change.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #2516: Jan 19, 2021 11:34:44 am

Our problems go behind Bobby's form no doubt. TAA and Mane are well off form too. Mo is getting in to his usual positions at least but also off the boil with his finishing.

However the issue with Bobby is he offers almost nothing against packed low block defences. We need goals badly so something has to change in this respect. I would drop Bobby until we play the likes of City or Chelsea who will allow us more space in the final third.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2517: Jan 19, 2021 11:38:14 am

Exactly, drop him and see what we get, I wish we'd try, how on earth could it be worse than we get now, tell me that.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4588 
      Reply #2518: Jan 19, 2021 01:48:20 pm
      Part of the problem with our front 3 is that they are not getting the space as before & that’s down to not getting the balls from our midfielders & teams surrounding our front 3 out of space...
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,335 posts | 6386 
      Reply #2519: Jan 19, 2021 02:13:58 pm
      Part of the problem with our front 3 is that they are not getting the space as before & that’s down to not getting the balls from our midfielders & teams surrounding our front 3 out of space...

And they aren't getting balls from midfielders because our midfielders that play those balls are playing CB........

Thiago should provide ample service, but those longer slicing passes from Hendo and Fab aren't happening when they are playing CB. And Gini is more possession oriented than a playmaker, so Firmino has to drop deep to pick up the ball which then allows defenders to stifle him and double team our wingers. Trent isn't playing like Trent and Robbo is the only one getting decent crosses in. We are literally a mess and it's not all down to Bobby.....hopefully Klopp figures out something that works and soon.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #2520: Jan 19, 2021 02:44:23 pm
      Nah bollox to all that. All those qualities you mention Bobby brings to the team are the good old days when teams gave us lots of space, and Bobby had freedom to link play with ease. Teams have figured us out now and are playing in low blocks giving us much less space in the final third than previous seasons. In this situation Bobby's qualities diminish significantly as he does not have pace to create space in tight areas, and does not have the natural striker instincts to get in to goal scoring positions against tight defences. Drop Jota in to Bobby's position you will see a big difference as he has the pace to get behind defences and is obviously a much better goal scorer.

Seriously? Remember early in the Klopp days, maybe his first full season, we went undefeated against the "top 6" but had a very hard time against the rest of the league? Shitty teams have been playing shitty systems forever, clogging up space. Teams parking the bus against us is not a new phenomenon the past 4 games, FFS.

And guess how you get teams to give you space: By scoring first (shocking, i know), but when your 2 main scorers, Mane and Salah, can't hit water if they fell off a boat, guess what happens? you have difficulty scoring goals (who knew).

Again, this team is built around Salah first and Mane second to score goals (last season these 2 scored more goals than the next 8 highest scoring players combined and the season before they scored more than the entire rest of the team) therefore are the most critical to get scoring again, and yet the moment we struggle you lot run to this thread to cry about dropping Firmino as if that was the solution. How come you're not on the Mane  thread? or Salah thread? Mo hasn't scored a meaningful goal in over a month and yet his thread has been quiet for 2 weeks.

Obviously it's not helping Salah and Mane that Trent, who led us in assists the past 2 seasons, has suddenly forgotten how to cross a ball, as well as creativity problems in midfield but Salah is in horrific scoring form and aside if he's not scoring he's basically a passenger and a turnover machine that only enhances the problem.

Firmino's form is part of the problem but the biggest problem right now is not him, it's Salah then Arnold then Mane, but Sadio at least works his ass off in other areas of the field.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,335 posts | 6386 
      Reply #2521: Jan 19, 2021 03:54:45 pm

However the issue with Bobby is he offers almost nothing against packed low block defences.

And right now, neither do Sadio or Salah but you aren't whinging about dropping them.

When you complain about Bobby "missing sitters", at least he's in a position to convert them.......(not that he's literally missing sitters, I find it funny people that don't play sports at a professional level can crack on people that do when you'd be falling all over yourself to even see the ball that you are saying Bobby should put in the net)......whereas Mo is constantly giving the ball away. And when he does get in a good position to create something, he usually shoots himself instead of passing to an open teammate.

All that said, I don't think you can afford to take Salah, Mane or Bobby off because at any moment they will turn it around, they will have a moment of brilliance and they will win us a game. They can't do that from the bench.

It would be one thing if we didn't NEED our front three to be in form, but we do. How can you justify dropping someone like Firmino expecting he's going to what, play himself back into form from the bench? What good does having him on the bench server when we have no one we can bring on right now that's a better player than him. It's absurd really to even consider.

I can hear Klopp now......
      "Yea Bobby, you aren't scoring as many goals as we would like, even though that's not really your primary job so I'm going to sit you down and bring on Origi who certainly won't score any goals. Maybe some time watching him be absolute dog sh*t will make you reconsider your poor form and make you play better".

Actually no, I can't hear Klopp saying that.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,156 posts | 259 
      Reply #2522: Jan 19, 2021 04:20:05 pm
      And they aren't getting balls from midfielders because our midfielders that play those balls are playing CB........

Thiago should provide ample service, but those longer slicing passes from Hendo and Fab aren't happening when they are playing CB. And Gini is more possession oriented than a playmaker, so Firmino has to drop deep to pick up the ball which then allows defenders to stifle him and double team our wingers. Trent isn't playing like Trent and Robbo is the only one getting decent crosses in. We are literally a mess and it's not all down to Bobby.....hopefully Klopp figures out something that works and soon.

Agree mate.

Plus that with less confidence in their makeshift/no experience young cbs it could be hard for our players to do risky passes as losing a ball could be a big big problem.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,335 posts | 6386 
      Reply #2523: Jan 19, 2021 05:43:01 pm
      Agree mate.

Plus that with less confidence in their makeshift/no experience young cbs it could be hard for our players to do risky passes as losing a ball could be a big big problem.

Yep. this team was built from the back after Klopp got here and as the back goes, so does the rest of the team it seems. But I digress. Is Firmino having a rough patch...yes, but so is most of the team, and I personally think it's ridiculous for people to be singling him out when there's PLENTY of blame to go around.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2524: Jan 19, 2021 06:38:31 pm
      Love Bobby to bits, think our goal of the season so far was his touch and tap against Palace, and he gets important ones too like the headed winner against Spuds.  He's a great player and always works hard - but he's struggling just right now.

Salah is off form too, just as much as Bob imho - but out of the front 3 most of the chances are falling to Bob, and he's fluffing them badly.  He looks short of sharpness and confidence.

Don't think it helps that Jürgen plays them game in game out. Being left out of starting XI shouldn't be a big deal with the number of games we have.
      We obviously don't have the same level of quality to bring in, but maybe we could give Shaq/Taki/maybe Origi etc a little more game time IF AND WHEN any of the usual front 3 loose form for a bunch of games. If nothing else, they offer something a little different. We could always bring them off on 60mins if its not working.

Am sure Bob will be back in form soon - question is what we do in the meantime.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6735 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2525: Jan 19, 2021 11:18:33 pm
      Love Bobby as well but Taki should be starting ahead of him at the moment and if not, play Divock there but as a striker not as a winger and have Sadio up top. Sadio and Mo on the wings feeding Divock should be the go!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2526: Jan 20, 2021 09:14:10 am
      I don't think our backup options are very appealing and that's why Jürgen isn't changing the front 3. When Jota came in and delivered he was in the team or first off the bench every game. But the other sub options don't get on very much. I know Minamino scored vs. Palace but I thought he was fairly ineffective both in attack and pressing when given a chance this season, and I don't know that he delivered much in that game other than the one goal in a 7-0 result. He strikes me as rather lightweight for the Premier League.

It's a fair shout to call for changes, but I think Jürgen looks at the other forwards in training and thinks, "Right, I like these three best "
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2527: Jan 20, 2021 09:17:07 am
      I don't think our backup options are very appealing and that's why Jürgen isn't changing the front 3. When Jota came in and delivered he was in the team or first off the bench every game. But the other sub options don't get on very much. I know Minamino scored vs. Palace but I thought he was fairly ineffective both in attack and pressing when given a chance this season, and I don't know that he delivered much in that game other than the one goal in a 7-0 result. He strikes me as rather lightweight for the Premier League.

It's a fair shout to call for changes, but I think Jürgen looks at the other forwards in training and thinks, "Right, I like these three best "

I get it that Minamino has not hugely impressed so far but at this point it has to be worth a risk to play him for a couple of games to see if he sinks or swims. Give Bobby a proper break, let him sort his head out, take him out of the spotlight etc
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2528: Jan 20, 2021 09:21:35 am
      I get it that Minamino has not hugely impressed so far but at this point it has to be worth a risk to play him for a couple of games to see if he sinks or swims. Give Bobby a proper break, let him sort his head out, take him out of the spotlight etc

I imagine all three of the regular starters will start one of the upcoming.games on the bench. Due to rotation. We'll see if anyone seizes the moment. Barring that I expect us to mainly go with Bobby, Mo and Sadio, adding Diogo when he's fit.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2529: Jan 20, 2021 10:18:40 am
      I imagine all three of the regular starters will start one of the upcoming.games on the bench. Due to rotation. We'll see if anyone seizes the moment. Barring that I expect us to mainly go with Bobby, Mo and Sadio, adding Diogo when he's fit.

Yippee!!! :-(

Quick Reply