Re: Roberto Firmino Player Thread
      Reply #276: Jul 04, 2015 12:14:25 pm
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #277: Jul 04, 2015 12:32:12 pm
      I watch quite a bit of the Bundesliga and although Hoffenheim weren't on live too often what struck me about Roberto (this season anyhow) was that, with little or no training/coaching, he could very quickly become an 'out and out' goalscorer in the mould of Suarez; certainly in a mobile front three.

I'm, genuinely, excited about this lad. Oh... and... welcome to Liverpool Roberto.

YNWA
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #278: Jul 04, 2015 01:11:32 pm
      Maybe Markovic wasn't the best comparison. But how many great seasons has Firmino had?

You stated these facts about Hoffenheim, which is pretty irrelevant to me. Because Hoffenheim aren't a good team, they only got promoted recently and have never finished higher than mid table. So to me, Firmino playing 30 odd games for these a season is the equivalent to someone doing the same for Sunderland in the Premiership.

You also have to remember that although Markovic hasn't come from the strongest league in Europe he did come with european experience, and he did play a key part getting Benfica to the final.

Just find it funny how everyone's jumped on the bandwagon because he's Brazilian. Unless you have actually watched him on a regular consistent basis, how can you hype the lad?

Didn't say anywhere he'd had "great" seasons. I was simply answering your comparison with Markovic, in terms of the "hype" they both came with, and that perhaps Firmino has justified that hype a little more than Markovic had last summer.

If a 23 year old had already had 4 seasons of 30+ games in the Premiership, regardless of which team he was playing for, I'd take that as a positive sign that they've clearly got something about them to be playing consistent high level football at a fairly young age. It doesn't mean he's a going to make it at the top level, but it's a pretty good indication of their talent.

I'm not getting carried away or hyping the lad, he's obviously got a lot of adapting and work to do, but given his (relative) experience, both at club and now internationally, and the positive reports from Germany, I'm fairly confident he's going to be a success, regardless of price tag.

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #279: Jul 04, 2015 01:20:18 pm
      Can anyone actually say they've seen him play? APart from the odd game here and there, remember Markovic coming with a similar hype last season.
      I'm not convinced

I watch tons of Bundesliga. I've been a pretty big fan of Firmino's for the past 2 years. Great technical ability, good finisher, creates loads of chances for others, does the unexpected, and moves around a lot.
      Salavaria
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 381 posts | 41 
      Reply #280: Jul 04, 2015 01:56:12 pm
      Ryan Babel extolling Firmy's virtues: http://www.empireofthekop.com/2015/07/04/ryan-babel-discusses-the-qualities-former-teammate-roberto-firmino-will-bring-to-liverpool/?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=socialnetwork

On a side note... I was surprised to read there that Babel is only 28. So much promise for a player who should now be in his prime, and now he's kicking a ball around in the Middle Eastern sands... for plenty of money, I'm sure.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #281: Jul 04, 2015 02:26:59 pm
      Ryan Babel extolling Firmy's virtues: http://www.empireofthekop.com/2015/07/04/ryan-babel-discusses-the-qualities-former-teammate-roberto-firmino-will-bring-to-liverpool/?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=socialnetwork

On a side note... I was surprised to read there that Babel is only 28. So much promise for a player who should now be in his prime, and now he's kicking a ball around in the Middle Eastern sands... for plenty of money, I'm sure.

Babel was a great example how pace and power can dominate youth football. He looked incredible as a youngster because he was so quick, and very powerful for his age. Technically, as we all now know, he was never that good. Didn't realise he was still just 28 though!
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #282: Jul 04, 2015 07:38:10 pm
      Didn't say anywhere he'd had "great" seasons. I was simply answering your comparison with Markovic, in terms of the "hype" they both came with, and that perhaps Firmino has justified that hype a little more than Markovic had last summer.

If a 23 year old had already had 4 seasons of 30+ games in the Premiership, regardless of which team he was playing for, I'd take that as a positive sign that they've clearly got something about them to be playing consistent high level football at a fairly young age. It doesn't mean he's a going to make it at the top level, but it's a pretty good indication of their talent.

I'm not getting carried away or hyping the lad, he's obviously got a lot of adapting and work to do, but given his (relative) experience, both at club and now internationally, and the positive reports from Germany, I'm fairly confident he's going to be a success, regardless of price tag.

At no point did i state that you had said he had 'great seasons' I was just asking in general. So I suggest you reread what I have wrote.

I can see where your coming from with his appearances, all i was saying is that they (Hoffenheim) are a mediocre  Bundesliga team. And i could think of several players of similar age/ younger to have played a similar amount of games the last few seasons in the Premiership at what are mid table teams.

I do not know anything about the lad apart from what I've googled, as i don't watch that much Bundesliga. I was just asking peoples opinions! Is he genuinely worth it? After you strip away that he is Brazilian, what has he done? And how will he improve us?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #283: Jul 06, 2015 11:29:35 am
      It's offically Offical, can't wait to see him play  ;D

Firmino passes Liverpool FC medical

Reds' new Brazilian completes necessary checks in Sao Paulo

By James Pearce

Roberto Firmino's £29million move from Hoffenheim to Liverpool is complete after the Brazil international passed his medical.

Reds doctor Andy Massey flew out to South America to conduct the necessary tests in Sao Paulo on Friday and Saturday.

The 23-year-old attacking midfielder, who had already penned a five-year contract subject to the medical, was given a clean bill of health.

Firmino is currently on holiday in his homeland after his exploits with Brazil at the Copa America. They reached the quarter-finals before being knocked out on penalties by Paraguay.

Both Firmino and fellow countryman Philippe Coutinho were given three weeks off after the tournament and they aren’t scheduled to link up with the Liverpool squad for another fortnight.

That means they won’t be on the plane to Bangkok when Brendan Rodgers’ men embark on their pre-season tour of the Far East and Australia this Sunday.

A decision has yet to be taken whether they will fly Down Under for the latter part of the tour which involves games against Thai All Stars (July 14), Brisbane Roar (July 17), Adelaide (July 20) and Malaysia XI (July 24).

If Firmino does miss the entire tour, his eagerly-awaited debut is likely to be against HJK Helsinki in Finland on Saturday, August 1.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/firmino-passes-liverpool-fc-medical-9594574
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #284: Jul 06, 2015 03:39:46 pm
      gutted there not at the start of pre-season
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #285: Jul 06, 2015 09:45:02 pm
      100k+ deal apparently. Even though it definitely isn't, I bet Raheem feels like that's two fingers up to him.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #286: Jul 06, 2015 10:19:05 pm
      100k+ deal apparently. Even though it definitely isn't, I bet Raheem feels like that's two fingers up to him.

Wasn't Sterling offered the same amount? I don't see how he could possibly feel likes its two fingers up to him.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #287: Jul 06, 2015 10:23:03 pm
      Wasn't Sterling offered the same amount? I don't see how he could possibly feel likes its two fingers up to him.

I bet he's not happy reading about it an realising he's on 30k a week still.

Maybe not, it was my gut reaction when I seen the news.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #288: Jul 07, 2015 11:28:39 am
      why mate we offered sterling the same amount and Firmino is a better player who has been performing at a top level in germany for the last 2 seasons.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #289: Jul 07, 2015 11:38:36 am
      why mate we offered sterling the same amount and Firmino is a better player who has been performing at a top level in germany for the last 2 seasons.

No idea mate was just a gut feeling haha
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #290: Jul 07, 2015 01:58:27 pm
      Seems like a nice kid, very appreciative of what Hoffenheim did for him. 

Firmino out to keep improving at LFC
      7th Jul 2015 - Latest News

Roberto Firmino has vowed to do all he can to keep improving following his move to Liverpool in order to help bring more success to the club.

The Reds announced last month that a deal has been agreed for the Brazil international, who will join his new teammates in training after an extended break earned through his Copa America exploits this summer.

Firmino makes the move to the Premier League after five seasons spent with German outfit Hoffenheim, for whom he scored 49 goals in 153 appearances.

But the 23-year-old views his switch to Anfield as the start of a fresh challenge, rather than an indication that he can rest on his laurels.

"First and foremost, I’m looking forward to the new challenge and I’m excited to see what the Premier League has to offer," he told Hoffenheim's official website.

"Of course everything will once again be new to me at the start. I’m going to have to get used to a new playing style, but I’ll also get the opportunity to improve my game even further there.

"Obviously I’d like to establish myself as a starter in my new team and go on to celebrate a lot of success at Liverpool.”

Firmino's spell with Hoffenheim saw him named as the Breakthrough of the Season for the 2013-14 Bundesliga campaign, and earn a maiden Brazil cap last year.

As a result, the former Figueirense starlet is keen to thank the Sinsheim club for giving him the opportunity to flourish.

"I was only 19 when I came to Hoffenheim," he continued.

"Everything was new to me - a strange country, a foreign language. That was not easy at the beginning. Europe was a big adventure to me and of course I had my doubts.

"I developed as a player and as a person. By working hard at Hoffenheim, I made it into the Selecao [Brazilian national team]. That is a dream come true to me and I know who I owe gratitude to.

"A lot of people believed in me during times when things did not go perfectly. I will keep my time at Hoffenheim and the people I met here in my heart forever."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/188148-firmino-out-to-keep-improving-at-lfc
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #291: Jul 07, 2015 04:39:20 pm
      gutted he's on an extended holiday excited to see him and david blane link up could be a joy to watch and bring in even more neutral fans for us.

our new no11 will be an exciting prospect if he and coutinho are played in the correct way which is in the middle
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #292: Jul 08, 2015 07:30:13 pm
      Roberto Firmino  has vowed to play a starring role in bringing glory to Anfield.
      The attacking midfielder is relishing the prospect of establishing himself in English football after penning a 5 year contract.

''First and foremost I'm looking forward to a new challenge and I'm excited to see what the Prem League has to offer'' he said.
      ''Of course everything will once again be new to me and I will have to get used to a new playing style, but also get a chance to improve my game even further then''.
      ''Obviously I'd like to establish myself as a starter in my new team and go on to celebrate a lot of success at Liverpool''. 

more:
      http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/firmino-im-excited-liverpool-fc-9603150
      « Last Edit: Jul 09, 2015 01:32:44 pm by stuey »
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #293: Jul 19, 2015 01:19:38 pm
      So all those whinging we should have gone for him last summer, well we did but it wasn't the right time to move but our persistance paid off.  Along with a little help from Cou  ;D

Roberto Firmino insists he will not be weighed down by the burden of being Liverpool’s £29m man.

And the Brazilian says he is already looking forward to running out at Anfield for the first time.

Firmino became the second most expensive signing in Reds history when joining from Hoffenheim earlier this summer.

And though he is likely to be surpassed by Christian Benteke before too long, the 23-year-old insists his price tag places no extra pressure on his shoulders, and revealed that Liverpool had been chasing him for more than a year prior to signing him.

Speaking to German newspaper Bild, Firmino said: “Not at all. I see it rather as a recognition and confirmation.

“I chose Liverpool because they have taken over a year for me. Right away, I had a good feeling. Of course, I did some research on the internet.

“It has already impressed me, the gigantic significance of the club worldwide. It is, next to Manchester United, the best known and most popular English club.”

Firmino confirmed that he had sought the advice of Philippe Coutinho before finalising his move to Merseyside, and says his Brazilian colleague has given his new club a glowing reference.

“Of course, we talked with the national team about Liverpool,” he said. “He has totally raved about the club.

“It will help me, sure. He’s my countryman and knows much already about the club, with which he can help me and make settling in easier. We understand each other well.”

Asked what he was looking forward to most about the move, Firmino added: “Being at the stadium at Anfield with the fans. I get goose bumps already just thinking about how they will sing ‘You’ll never walk alone’.

“I’m in the best league in the world, and I can develop myself there. Physically it is a completely new challenge, with the three (domestic) competitions and the Europa League there could be more than twice the number of games. With the national team there can be more than 60 games!”
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #294: Jul 20, 2015 07:56:58 am
      Surely we can use this song and get his name in somewhere for a chant.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RzBv397zGic
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #295: Jul 20, 2015 11:27:27 am
      Surely we can use this song and get his name in somewhere for a chant.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RzBv397zGic

Can just picture thousands in The Kop spontaneously busting out their samba moves :D
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #296: Jul 22, 2015 11:55:18 am

arriving at Melwood , as will benteke it seems

YNWA
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #297: Jul 22, 2015 03:38:55 pm

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #298: Jul 22, 2015 04:06:20 pm
      The man with the neck tattoo!

Quick Reply