Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Roberto Firmino Player Thread (F)

Read 370291 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: Roberto Firmino Player Thread
      Reply #1357: Sep 08, 2017 07:26:49 pm
      Got to query some of those figures, they seem very suspect.

No way is Firmino almost as quick as Salah.

Probably picked them up from one of those FIFA games!
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #1358: Sep 08, 2017 07:37:11 pm
      https://twitter.com/LFCroundup/status/906194262278238208

Here's a tweet that may surprise a few, Bobby pretty close to Salah there. Must admit I didn't realise Gomez was that quick either!

Gomez is indeed a surprise package, especially after considering the fact that he is returning from an ACL injury.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1359: Sep 08, 2017 07:51:43 pm
      This is probably their top speed, which can be deceiving as often the most important thing for a footballer is acceleration and doing quick turns...

I remember Andy Carroll had a quite decent top speed as well, but you all remember he was not exactly the type of striker you would describe as fast.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1360: Sep 08, 2017 08:12:02 pm
      Nah it's all true, Bobby is going to represent Brazil in the next Olympic 100 metres  :lmao:.

Seriously, the fella is a good player, on occasions a very good player, but the man love, hyperbole and bullsh!t which follows his every move is hysterical  :lmao: :lmao:.

Why not just accept he's a good player who's playing better for us this season IMHO than he ever has previously? Doesn't mean we have to make him man of the match every game when he isn't, doesn't mean we have to credit him with an "assist" for heading out a corner, doesn't mean "the guy who he was trying to pass to wasn't on his wavelength" when Bobby mis-controls it again, and it definitely doesn't mean we have to pretend he's as quick as Salah ;D.

It's a joke really, but funny tho  :lmao:.

lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #1361: Sep 09, 2017 04:10:37 am
      Good to see that this season, for one  reason or another, that Roberto is getting more praise and appreciation for his ability and team ethic.
      Really is vital to how we play.
      Such a special player. Perhaps all the attention on Phil and mane last season made us all a tad blind to what he does for the team.
      Certainly one of my 3 fav players at the club (along with lallana and mane)
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1362: Sep 09, 2017 03:34:16 pm
      Did he play today?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1363: Sep 09, 2017 09:02:02 pm

Did any of 'em bar Migs mate?

* Exits now, remembering he's walked in on a little banter ;)
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1364: Sep 09, 2017 10:17:36 pm
      Did any of 'em bar Migs mate?

* Exits now, remembering he's walked in on a little banter ;)

;D.

On a serious note he had nothing to feed off, but he was still invisible. Mind you, he did run around a fair bit and some of that running was quite fast too. I did notice that he's got a kind of fishtail thing in the shape of the hair on the back of his head too. Probably to improve his aero-dynamic profile or something.
      Guruji
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts | 55 
      Reply #1365: Sep 10, 2017 07:26:46 pm
      I think we should bin Firmino and bring back Benteke. That lad is a real striker and is destined to return a big club soon and score a hatful of goals. I'll never understood how Klopp failed to build his team around Benteke - after all, he's scored an incredible 17 goals for Palace so far, and over the same period Bobby has scored a pitiful 15. Benteke played under Big Sam who wisely built the side around him, and he's really repaid that with a wonderful return. It's not like there's a big difference between our playing styles either.

I just don't see how Bobby fits our system at all. Our attacking play is based around fast wingers who like to cut inside and run in behind - Firmino just doesn't have any involvement in that whatsover. IMHO obviously.

:mad:
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1366: Sep 10, 2017 07:29:06 pm
      I think we should bin Firmino and bring back Benteke. That lad is a real striker and is destined to return a big club soon and score a hatful of goals. I'll never understood how Klopp failed to build his team around Benteke - after all, he's scored an incredible 17 goals for Palace so far, and over the same period Bobby has scored a pitiful 15. Benteke played under Big Sam who wisely built the side around him, and he's really repaid that with a wonderful return. It's not like there's a big difference between our playing styles either.

I just don't see how Bobby fits our system at all. Our attacking play is based around fast wingers who like to cut inside and run in behind - Firmino just doesn't have any involvement in that whatsover. IMHO obviously.

Did you see benteke's movement v burnley today, well me neither
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1367: Sep 10, 2017 07:32:23 pm

I've said it once and i'll say it again on this forum.

Firmino doesn't work well in our system I think he IS the system. Klopp has slightly tweaked his Gegenpressen football which usually requires a pacey striker to get in behind from winning the ball back and changed it to be Firmino winning it high up the pitch and then giving it to Mane and Salah who can quickly back him up.

Not many strikers can press like he can and create so much space for Salah and Mane.
      I'd probably say there's only 5 or so strikers in world football that squeeze the life out of defenders. Suarez being one of them.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1368: Sep 10, 2017 07:38:33 pm

Haha you're joking right? Good post ;D.

On a serious note Bobby fits our system well and is a good player. I just wish we also had the option of a genuine number 9 to call upon, I can't help thinking the lad at Chelsea for example would be brilliant in a Klopp team.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1369: Sep 10, 2017 08:06:12 pm
      Haha you're joking right? Good post ;D.

On a serious note Bobby fits our system well and is a good player. I just wish we also had the option of a genuine number 9 to call upon, I can't help thinking the lad at Chelsea for example would be brilliant in a Klopp team.

You mean Morata or Costa Mick?

Serious question.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1370: Sep 10, 2017 08:10:00 pm
      You mean Morata or Costa Mick?

Serious question.

Morata mate, although if he was fit and motivated Costa would improve most teams in the Premiership, including ours. Man's a c*** though, no question on that score.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1371: Sep 10, 2017 09:18:17 pm
      Morata mate, although if he was fit and motivated Costa would improve most teams in the Premiership, including ours. Man's a c*** though, no question on that score.

Yep agree
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #1372: Sep 12, 2017 08:32:42 am
      I have utter faith in Roberto IF we play to his strengths.
      To me, when we play at our best, he is completely and utterly intergral.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1373: Sep 12, 2017 08:57:21 am
      I have utter faith in Roberto IF we play to his strengths.
      To me, when we play at our best, he is completely and utterly intergral.

Couldn't agree more. When we are in swashbuckle mode, Bobby's running around, his eye for a pass and his fluidity of movement are absolutely ideal.

Unfortunately, we don't play like that every week or aren't allowed to. On those occasions you need a striker who can nick a goal out of nothing, take the one chance which comes up, offer an alternative focal point to the attack, put his head in where it hurts etc. Then, Bobby isn't ideal and goes into "invisible man" mode.

Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #1374: Sep 12, 2017 11:32:12 am
      Bobby is an ideal striker for Klopps system. But if we have to deviate from it like this past weekend he is the exact opposite. Same with some of the other guys (Can, TAA, etc.) Can looked lost when we played 3 in the back.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1375: Sep 12, 2017 11:47:49 am

If you are being sarcastic then its not very obvious, if you are being serious then you need to give your head a wobble. Benteke was absolutely woeful under Jürgen, just didn't fit the system at all, Crystal Palace is Benteke's type of team.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1376: Sep 12, 2017 11:50:41 am
      Bobby is an ideal striker for Klopps system. But if we have to deviate from it like this past weekend he is the exact opposite. Same with some of the other guys (Can, TAA, etc.) Can looked lost when we played 3 in the back.

I've got high hopes for Solanke to grow into that 2nd option, proper strike role. I fully agree that in a slow defensive game Firmino does not really help us much so we do need to find some options there.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1377: Sep 14, 2017 04:17:28 pm
      Only saw his emotional reaction after the game when it was reported today to be honest. Last player I remember doing that was Luis, I know some people didn't care for Luis but to me that sheer will to win and determination is what brings about the release of emotion after the game. When you can no longer do any more there is little left than to let it out and I think that's one of the many attributes they share.

That's the kind of reaction I want to see when someone fucks up, show that it means something to you and show us that you care. When you do that I can easily forgive the odd mistake or missed penalty.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1378: Sep 15, 2017 07:56:55 am
      That's one way of trying to turn a negative into a positive.   :lmao:
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1379: Sep 15, 2017 09:35:12 am
      I like that desire in players too. That said, in the case of Suarez he was more inclined to show it on the pitch in terms of effort, goals, doing whatever it takes to win than he was bursting into tears after the match.

Bobby's "desire" isn't quite so obvious when he's playing (very few players have that to be honest). His desire does feel harder to big up though, particularly when he has the tendency to go into Griffin mode as often as he does.

Quick Reply