Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Roberto Firmino Player Thread (F)

Read 370130 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Re: Roberto Firmino Player Thread
      Reply #1886: Nov 16, 2018 10:49:31 am
      Not getting the goals isn’t usually an issue with Bobby, his performances usually have nearly just as much of an impact in the sense that his work rate, and general involvement in the goals makes up for it. But right now, he’s offering us next to nothing, his performances simply haven’t been good enough and it’s been like that most the season. Right now, I don’t know why he’s starting ahead of Sturridge.
      Hope we see the old Bobby back after the break.

Interesting mate. I agree he’s been off it BUT I thought the 2nd half vs Red Star shows why we’re better with an under par Bobby than the alternatives.......

We were much more fluid / cohesive and whilst it still didn’t amount to much we looked like a team.

Understand the view re Bobby and form - I really do. I just don’t think Studge offers enough all round game to be considered a viable alternative in our system.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1887: Nov 16, 2018 10:52:02 am
      Not getting the goals isn’t usually an issue with Bobby, his performances usually have nearly just as much of an impact in the sense that his work rate, and general involvement in the goals makes up for it. But right now, he’s offering us next to nothing, his performances simply haven’t been good enough and it’s been like that most the season. Right now, I don’t know why he’s starting ahead of Sturridge.
      Hope we see the old Bobby back after the break.

Sturridge simply isn't an option form the start, he is however good as an impact sub for the last 10-15 minutes. The reason for that is not skill but rather workrate and how he fails to link up well with Mo and Sadio.
      For Sturrdige to work we'd have to alter the formation
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #1888: Nov 25, 2018 02:10:21 am
      https://m.imgur.com/a/ukhZcd8

This happened yesterday..
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1889: Nov 25, 2018 11:07:50 am
      About bloody time he scored! Thought Mane should have done better, probably had time to take a touch and set himself instead of kicking it straight at Foster but as result it ended Bobby’s goal drought so it’s all good.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1890: Nov 28, 2018 10:44:34 pm
      Desperately poor tonight.

Causing concern.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1891: Nov 28, 2018 11:06:03 pm
      Tonight was as poor as I've seen him play.
      Don't think we can afford to keep playing him in a effort to have him play his way back into form.
      Not sure I fancy Studge to come in though. So Shaq I guess.
      If we manage to squeeze through to the CL knockout stage, and are still a point or two ahead/behind City come Jan in the PL, would Jürgen try to bring in someone in Jan up top to try and push on in both comps.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1892: Nov 28, 2018 11:09:30 pm
      Tonight was as poor as I've seen him play.
      Don't think we can afford to keep playing him in a effort to have him play his way back into form.
      Not sure I fancy Studge to come in though. So Shaq I guess.
      If we manage to squeeze through to the CL knockout stage, and are still a point or two ahead/behind City come Jan in the PL, would Jürgen try to bring in someone in Jan up top to try and push on in both comps.

Poor touch gave the ball away which sent them on the break for their second. Maybe had one good touch all game which was moments before that match costing horror touch. Shocking ball in to nowheresville when we got ourselves into a good position. Absent off the ball. Dreadful passing of the ball. I can't remember a period in which he's played this poorly for Liverpool.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #1893: Nov 28, 2018 11:16:46 pm
      Garbage this season in all the big games.

Needs dropping for a while now.

Would like to see Solanke given a go up top and Brewster when he's match fit.

Danny is no longer an option he's one season off needing a summer frame to get around the pitch.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1894: Nov 29, 2018 12:12:27 am
      Garbage this season in all the big games.

Needs dropping for a while now.

Would like to see Solanke given a go up top and Brewster when he's match fit.

Danny is no longer an option he's one season off needing a summer frame to get around the pitch.

He is being asked to play as a No 10, I'm sure I have mentioned to you before look at the positions on the pitch, Salah is our striker.

Solanke or Brewster are not a No 10, he needs time to adjust from being a hybrid 9/10 to now more of a 20, you must have noticed how much more he is dropping deep.

Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #1895: Nov 29, 2018 03:11:42 am
      When our fullbacks are stuck deeper and not dragging players wide with the overload kills the space he likes to play in but even so he's been stinking up the place for a while.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1896: Nov 29, 2018 03:23:42 am
      Poor touch gave the ball away which sent them on the break for their second. Maybe had one good touch all game which was moments before that match costing horror touch. Shocking ball in to nowheresville when we got ourselves into a good position. Absent off the ball. Dreadful passing of the ball. I can't remember a period in which he's played this poorly for Liverpool.

When Rodgers was sticking him  essentially at WB he was pretty bad
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #1897: Nov 29, 2018 08:06:25 pm
      Bobby owes Jürgen big time for the faith he's showing in him through a very long period of poor form. He's such a key player for our style of play, and I think that is why Jürgen is sticking with him ( and I think it is also a key to why we are not really clicking in attack with him struggling). Personally I'd have dropped him by now, but Jürgen knows his situation better than me, and there is every chance Bobby will pay him back as the season goes on. Wish he'd hurry up though.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #1898: Nov 30, 2018 09:28:55 am
      Bobby owes Jürgen big time for the faith he's showing in him through a very long period of poor form. He's such a key player for our style of play, and I think that is why Jürgen is sticking with him ( and I think it is also a key to why we are not really clicking in attack with him struggling). Personally I'd have dropped him by now, but Jürgen knows his situation better than me, and there is every chance Bobby will pay him back as the season goes on. Wish he'd hurry up though.

I think a big factor in this is the change in style this year.

Bobby was at his best when we hit teams fast before they had a chance to set up defensively or when we relentlessly pressed high up.

We are much slower now and very rarely break a lightening speed.

All this slow build up possession based play has us mostly trying to play through two blocks of 4 and none of our front 3 have the space we had last season.

I think we have gone way too defensive which is why the front three look sh*t.

It also doesn't help that our midfield trio are less creative than a 90 year old woman with a Zimmer frame would be.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1899: Nov 30, 2018 12:04:44 pm

Bobby was at his best when we hit teams fast before they had a chance to set up defensively or when we relentlessly pressed high up.

All this slow build up possession based play has us mostly trying to play through two blocks of 4 and none of our front 3 have the space we had last season.

It also doesn't help that our midfield trio are less creative than a 90 year old woman with a Zimmer frame would be.

He's playing a much deeper role this season mate, especially when Shaqiri is on.

I think Klopp knows the lack of a runner from midfield is stifling us a bit so he wants Firmino to play deeper to try and link up the play a bit more.
      Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but whatever the case, when Keita is integrated fully, we'll see Firmino playing higher again.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #1900: Nov 30, 2018 12:59:47 pm

That's what I thought exactly mate. Vital point is Bobby start too deep result in opponent CBs can less worry about him and they have time to take care of Salah and Mane.  Even when Bobby manage to get a ball he's not able to go straight through too many opponents as he's not Messi.  Also in such situation we just have only one or two forward players (Mo and/or Mane) ahead of him.  That's definitely hard for Bobby to take advantage for us. Finally with zero forward run support from our three midfielders his job is nothing but impossible.     
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1901: Nov 30, 2018 01:12:24 pm
      Still vital. Absolute world class.

The alternatives don’t bear thinking about.

He’ll be on it again soon.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1902: Nov 30, 2018 01:22:49 pm
      Still vital. Absolute world class.

The alternatives don’t bear thinking about.

He’ll be on it again soon.

I've been hearing that all season now, next game we'll click into gear, but it simply isn't happening.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1903: Nov 30, 2018 02:17:35 pm
      I've been hearing that all season now, next game we'll click into gear, but it simply isn't happening.

Good grief, just imagine when it does or when Klopp decides to allow us, it’s going to be F***ing magic..But as of now we are still in all 3 competions without even ‘clicking’...& we are the only ones who decide our fate..
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #1904: Nov 30, 2018 02:18:04 pm

Problem is, Klopp has become so reliant on the front 3, that the team doesn't know how to and isn't then able to adapt without them.

The 'squad depth' gets so rarely used, that when they are used, they do not gel, and then they get dropped in a flash. We've seen moments of Sturridge. He's had bit part games (other than that start against Red Star in which he got dropped after 45 minutes). It's a catch 22 that he and Shaqiri are facing. When they do play, they are not up to form (lack of game minutes) and the team do not fully adapt to their own style of play. Then they don't 'play well enough' (often the criticism of Sturridge, and in the last game the same was said of Shaqiri).

These lads will not have a great game until they get enough game time to get into form, and until the team knows how to play with them. For Sturridge it's even worse. Because of the reliance on the front 3, we've basically forgotten how to play with a Striker. When Sturridge does play, he doesn't get to play the Striker role. I see his movement, and he basically gets ignored. He is expected to play a Firmino role, yet Firmino is not expected to play the Sturridge role.

The midfield has a similar problem with Keita unable to get going because he needs the minutes to burst into form.. but he's not getting the minutes because he's not in form.

Too much of the same, with limited tactical changes when the opportunity presents itself.

Firmino is pretty poor at the moment and we need a change.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1905: Dec 02, 2018 10:20:54 pm
      Not sure if it’s a rest he needs or him playing in a new position has really effected him.

The further away from goal he plays the less effective he is, there was a period in the first half where he dropped into the centre circle to gift the ball away in a dangerous position and lo and behold 20s later he does the same.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #1906: Dec 02, 2018 10:27:17 pm
      Needs to go to the Copacabana for a couple weeks. Divock did more in 10 mins that he did in 80
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #1907: Dec 02, 2018 11:22:52 pm
      Bobby go for a holiday you need a rest mate doing nout on the pitch for us.

Come back when you're ready to play again please.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1908: Dec 02, 2018 11:38:46 pm
      Firmino is a top forward, his form isn't there right now. I don't think we need to bench him against Burnley though. I'd give him that game. Bournemouth will be a tougher test so probably drop him if he can't do the business against Burnley.

Quick Reply