Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Roberto Firmino Player Thread (F)

Read 370217 times
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Re: Roberto Firmino Player Thread
      Reply #2691: Apr 26, 2021 08:08:16 pm
      Bobby, Gini and Sadio have all been sh*t for weeks and Jürgen replaces Thiago who was bossing the game, very strange
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #2692: Apr 27, 2021 06:55:21 pm
      His shots are like back passes at the moment hope he can pull it round
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #2693: Apr 27, 2021 07:24:14 pm
      Think it’s a bit of a red herring the focus on his lack of goals. He has seldom been especially prolific and his contribution has been more in the way he acts as a foil for the others. True he has had a poor season but this is roughly in proportion with how sh*t we’ve been overall.

In saying that, people are fairly asking the question whether we can’t do a bit better and that’s how it should always be if you’re going to play for LFC. The moment you think you’ve made it is the moment you fail and our signing of Jota shows there are indeed younger players out there ready to meet that challenge. Football is a game of renewal.

In my view, though, it would be hasty to get rid of him at this stage, off the back of success in the previous seasons, when he was part of the most devastating trio in Europe and regarded by the likes of Henry as the ideal strike partner. You don’t become a sh*t player after one dodgy season.

Usual disclaimers apply: provided his head is where it should be, we ought to be able to get a couple more seasons out of him yet. It’s squarely down to him. You want that quality and experience within the squad for as long as possible.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #2694: Apr 27, 2021 09:25:33 pm
      He scored 15 league goals in 2017/18 season and has progressively produced less every season with just 6 this season.

Seems to be running in treacle this season and at his age not going to get any quicker, he has been a great service and that front 3 will be remembered for ever but funds are going to be tight post Covid so if we can get a buyer at a decent price I would bite their hands off.
      « Last Edit: Apr 27, 2021 10:23:05 pm by HScRed1 »
      Mmmklopp
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 344 posts | 74 
      Reply #2695: Apr 27, 2021 09:44:24 pm
      Think it’s a bit of a red herring the focus on his lack of goals. He has seldom been especially prolific and his contribution has been more in the way he acts as a foil for the others. True he has had a poor season but this is roughly in proportion with how sh*t we’ve been overall.

In saying that, people are fairly asking the question whether we can’t do a bit better and that’s how it should always be if you’re going to play for LFC. The moment you think you’ve made it is the moment you fail and our signing of Jota shows there are indeed younger players out there ready to meet that challenge. Football is a game of renewal.

In my view, though, it would be hasty to get rid of him at this stage, off the back of success in the previous seasons, when he was part of the most devastating trio in Europe and regarded by the likes of Henry as the ideal strike partner. You don’t become a sh*t player after one dodgy season.

Usual disclaimers apply: provided his head is where it should be, we ought to be able to get a couple more seasons out of him yet. It’s squarely down to him. You want that quality and experience within the squad for as long as possible.

Are you serious? Have you checked his numbers?

He offers nothing in the goal scoring department. People keep telling me about this "closing down". We don't need a defensive midfielder up front we need a goal scorer! Number 9's score goals. There's centerbacks out there with more league goals, in the last two years, than this guy.

Great service to the club and thank you. We wish you all the best at your new club
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #2696: Apr 27, 2021 10:19:31 pm

He offers nothing in the goal scoring department. People keep telling me about this "closing down". We don't need a defensive midfielder up front we need a goal scorer! Number 9's score goals. There's centerbacks out there with more league goals, in the last two years, than this guy.

Great service to the club and thank you. We wish you all the best at your new club

If I thought this season was representative of the abilities of most of our squad I would be inclined to f*ck about half of them off.

As it is, I don’t, and I think if you go from forming a key part of a team that wins the European Cup and pisses the league, in the season before last and last season respectively, then you deserve a chance if you then have a dodgy season where other players have been equally sh*t.

I don’t believe he should be a guaranteed starter but certainly a part of the squad. If we f*cked off Origi and Shaqiri I would be quite happy with Jota, Firmino and another younger player.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2697: Apr 27, 2021 11:49:16 pm

Funny enough, Jürgen disagrees with you so I guess you will have to deal with Firmino sticking around and even <gasp> playing more games as our striker.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #2698: May 02, 2021 07:09:15 pm
      Thought Bobby was anonymous today again
      Mmmklopp
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 344 posts | 74 
      Reply #2699: May 04, 2021 11:43:17 am
      Funny enough, Jürgen disagrees with you so I guess you will have to deal with Firmino sticking around and even <gasp> playing more games as our striker.

Jürgen is clearly working with what he has right now.

It's no secret he wanted Werner and that would have been the end of Firmino. The owners refused to cough up the cash and so Firmino survived the <gasp> chop.

L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #2700: May 04, 2021 11:45:30 am

It's no secret he wanted Werner and that would have been the end of Firmino. The owners refused to cough up the cash and so Firmino survived the <gasp> chop.

Nonsense

Jota came in as the alternative to Werner and that’s not been the end of Firmino has it now?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2701: May 04, 2021 01:11:02 pm

Yea, it's too bad we didn't get Werner...he's been so much better than Firmino.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #2702: May 04, 2021 02:14:45 pm
      IMO he's still very slick on the ball, the big thing for him is he looks like he's lost pace. He had absolutely none to give to start with ;D. His passing hasn't been up to par, but I think that can be credited to the pace aswell, as he seems to get caught on the ball more frequently and tries to do too much
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2703: May 04, 2021 02:28:43 pm
      IMO he's still very slick on the ball, the big thing for him is he looks like he's lost pace. He had absolutely none to give to start with ;D. His passing hasn't been up to par, but I think that can be credited to the pace aswell, as he seems to get caught on the ball more frequently and tries to do too much

Or teams are keying on him more knowing if you mark him out of the game, it disrupts our playmaking front three?
      Mmmklopp
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 344 posts | 74 
      Reply #2704: May 04, 2021 03:32:07 pm
      Yea, it's too bad we didn't get Werner...he's been so much better than Firmino.

So you're happy with Firmino as our starting number 9?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2705: May 04, 2021 03:38:23 pm
      So you're happy with Firmino as our starting number 9?

Absolutely. I’m happy with all of our starters. Certainly wouldn’t mind adding some more quality but I’m not just willing to toss proven players aside because they’ve had a rough patch during the most disrupted year of football in recent memory.
      Mmmklopp
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 344 posts | 74 
      Reply #2706: May 04, 2021 06:59:59 pm
      Absolutely. I’m happy with all of our starters. Certainly wouldn’t mind adding some more quality but I’m not just willing to toss proven players aside because they’ve had a rough patch during the most disrupted year of football in recent memory.

It's not just a rough patch though.

He's scored 15 Premier League goals in two years.

That's an average of 7.5 goals over two seasons (with a few games left)

He's a number 9 scoring an average of 7.5 goals per year. That's just not good enough. Goals don't lie.

He offers nothing as a sub too.

I think his time is done and this has been coming for a long time
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2707: May 04, 2021 07:46:49 pm
      It's not just a rough patch though.

He's scored 15 Premier League goals in two years.

That's an average of 7.5 goals over two seasons (with a few games left)

He's a number 9 scoring an average of 7.5 goals per year. That's just not good enough. Goals don't lie.

He offers nothing as a sub too.

I think his time is done and this has been coming for a long time

You can think what you want, but he will still be here next year and most likely starting, I’ll guarantee you that. Klopp loves him and he’s key to what Klopp wants us to do on the pitch. And his goal production has never been his key attribute. It’s almost like people that want rid of him haven’t actually watched our football team the last 5 years.
      Mmmklopp
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 344 posts | 74 
      Reply #2708: May 04, 2021 09:18:28 pm
      You can think what you want, but he will still be here next year and most likely starting, I’ll guarantee you that. Klopp loves him and he’s key to what Klopp wants us to do on the pitch. And his goal production has never been his key attribute. It’s almost like people that want rid of him haven’t actually watched our football team the last 5 years.

Two years ago the Ox was on fire.

Are we giving him the same credit based on past performance levels?

Keits was amazing at Leipzig. Will we give him the nod to start as our number 8 next season?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #2709: May 04, 2021 09:46:52 pm

He's never fully recovered from that injury he got against Roma.
      Mmmklopp
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 344 posts | 74 
      Reply #2710: May 04, 2021 10:06:16 pm
      He's never fully recovered from that injury he got against Roma.

Yeah I agree. My point is are we giving players credit over performances two seasons ago?

He's finished, anyone can see it. He finishes nothing in front of goal.

He's been a loyal servant of the club and deserves all the love he receives but we need to remember love doesn't score goals.

Jürgen uses him as a pivotal part of his set up but that pivotal part is no longer performing at the level required to win trophies (or even home games at this rate)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #2711: May 05, 2021 12:47:11 am

Are we giving him the same credit based on past performance levels?

Keits was amazing at Leipzig. Will we give him the nod to start as our number 8 next season?

Comparing Chamberlain to Firmino? Keita? Sorry, but now you are just proving you don't understand. It was fun. Take care.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #2712: May 05, 2021 12:54:04 am
      Or teams are keying on him more knowing if you mark him out of the game, it disrupts our playmaking front three?

There is for sure some of this, no doubt. You like this guy more than just about anyone on this site, and for good reason. You don't get given a Nickname like Engine by Klopp for no reason. But can you honestly say he hasn't lost a step or looks slower?
      Mmmklopp
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 344 posts | 74 
      Reply #2713: May 05, 2021 01:17:39 am
      Comparing Chamberlain to Firmino? Keita? Sorry, but now you are just proving you don't understand. It was fun. Take care.

No it seems like you don't understand.

You're giving a player, who has performed below the standard required of a number 9, current rating based on performance levels from two years ago.

I've come and given you examples, of players such as Keita and Ox, who had higher performance levels two years ago.

If you still rate Firmino as our starting number 9 then you must use this same principle on other under performing players.

Understand a bit clearer now?

Quick Reply