Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Roberto Firmino Player Thread (F)

Read 370410 times
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,138 posts | 1194 
      Re: Roberto Firmino Player Thread (F)
      Reply #3312: May 12, 2023 01:28:36 pm
      Think Torres was the best striker in Europe at one point. Different type of player to Bobby so hard to compare but there's no question who will be held in higher esteem in the years to come. Bobby is a bona fide good guy and a legend as well as being instrumental in our success. Torres chose the glamour of Chelsea and the money of course and never came anywhere near his best levels for LFC and Spain after his injury.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,972 posts | 2051 
      Reply #3313: May 12, 2023 01:50:28 pm
      Think Torres was the best striker in Europe at one point. Different type of player to Bobby so hard to compare but there's no question who will be held in higher esteem in the years to come. Bobby is a bona fide good guy and a legend as well as being instrumental in our success. Torres chose the glamour of Chelsea and the money of course and never came anywhere near his best levels for LFC and Spain after his injury.

I know there's a been a level of forgiveness and sympathy afforded to Torres by Liverpool fans that hasn't been given to others. That's fine - it's churlish to hold grudges (especially for Owen who almost actually single handedly won trophies for this club) but I can't shake the feeling that Torres was overrated.

I didn't buy his story from a couple of years back which made it sound like the club messed him around, insinuating that he was forced to hand in a transfer request. That goes contrary to everything he said at the time (Chelsea a 'big step up') and the fact that he re-iterated how many times that he needed to move on because he couldn't wait for a rebuild job at Liverpool (which is true to an extent).

There's an elite level of Liverpool striker over the last 20/25 years. I'd include Owen, Suarez, Bobby, Mane and Salah...Torres on the fringes of that. The latter 3 can rightly claim legend status. Owen - I know plenty would debate but I would argue he deserves that status on account of what he contributed and how he spearheaded our glut of trophies under Houllier.

Suarez - the best player of them all. Probably the most gifted to have ever played in a red shirt. But he won a solitary league cup. Put us in very compromising situations countless times and then scarpered. Absolutely no legendary status for him. Oddly it was his antics in the Semi Final 4 years ago that demolished his reputation more than anything however right or wrong that may be. Anyway... 4-0 Luis. 4-0. That's my enduring image of you at Anfield.
      « Last Edit: May 12, 2023 03:13:30 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #3314: May 12, 2023 02:02:07 pm
      Bobby has been here since Day 1 of the Klopp era and a big part of the project to turn the team around. Legend.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #3315: May 12, 2023 02:17:17 pm

Suarez - the best player of them all. Probably the most gifted to have ever played in a red shirt. But he won a solitary league cup. Put us in very compromising situations countless times and then scarpered. Absolutely no legendary status for him. Oddly it was his antics in the Semi Final 4 years ago that demolished his reputation more than anything however right or wrong that maybe. Anyway... 4-0 Luis. 4-0. That's my enduring image of you at Anfield.

The snake arguably could of gone done as you best ever, maybe even better than Rush if it wasn’t for his dirty antics.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #3316: May 12, 2023 02:25:20 pm
      Bobby will be seen by the fans higher up than Torres

Bobby is as key to the success under Klopp as the likes ar VVD , Alisson etc

I loved Torres, I absolutely adore Bobby.

Would have liked to have seen them get to play together, can't help but think of what a treat that would have been.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #3317: May 12, 2023 02:48:42 pm
      Bobby will be seen by the fans higher up than Torres

Bobby is as key to the success under Klopp as the likes ar VVD , Alisson etc

It’s all about opinions.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #3318: May 12, 2023 04:25:17 pm

That’s correct, right or wrong we all have them apart from one member who just copies & paste on the VAR thread.  :lmao:
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #3319: May 13, 2023 12:22:47 am
      I know there's a been a level of forgiveness and sympathy afforded to Torres by Liverpool fans that hasn't been given to others. That's fine - it's churlish to hold grudges (especially for Owen who almost actually single handedly won trophies for this club) but I can't shake the feeling that Torres was overrated.

I didn't buy his story from a couple of years back which made it sound like the club messed him around, insinuating that he was forced to hand in a transfer request. That goes contrary to everything he said at the time (Chelsea a 'big step up') and the fact that he re-iterated how many times that he needed to move on because he couldn't wait for a rebuild job at Liverpool (which is true to an extent).

There's an elite level of Liverpool striker over the last 20/25 years. I'd include Owen, Suarez, Bobby, Mane and Salah...Torres on the fringes of that. The latter 3 can rightly claim legend status. Owen - I know plenty would debate but I would argue he deserves that status on account of what he contributed and how he spearheaded our glut of trophies under Houllier.

Suarez - the best player of them all. Probably the most gifted to have ever played in a red shirt. But he won a solitary league cup. Put us in very compromising situations countless times and then scarpered. Absolutely no legendary status for him. Oddly it was his antics in the Semi Final 4 years ago that demolished his reputation more than anything however right or wrong that may be. Anyway... 4-0 Luis. 4-0. That's my enduring image of you at Anfield.

Torres was not overrated. The way he left meant he lost his legend status. Whereas Bobby will quite rightly keep his. But Torres was a better striker than Bobby. He just was, it's not even close.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,972 posts | 2051 
      Reply #3320: May 13, 2023 10:37:25 am
      Torres was not overrated. The way he left meant he lost his legend status. Whereas Bobby will quite rightly keep his. But Torres was a better striker than Bobby. He just was, it's not even close.

It's quite something to have bestowed legendary status on someone who won jack sh*t for us. Such statuses cannot be handed out like nightclub flyers.

Torres has never been a legend, even when he played for us. For sure, he might be a better a striker in the sense of scoring goals, but would i have swapped Bobby and his supreme tactical and pressing game at the expense of a showman even in his prime who would have probably seen us win not as much? Besides, Torres probably only had 3 prime years as a player whereas Bobby had at least 5/6.

So yeah, it isn't close at all. Bobby all the way.
      Don77

• 6,327 posts | 1036 
      Reply #3321: May 13, 2023 10:47:33 am
      It's quite something to have bestowed legendary status on someone who won jack sh*t for us. Such statuses cannot be handed out like nightclub flyers.

Torres has never been a legend, even when he played for us. For sure, he might be a better a striker in the sense of scoring goals, but would i have swapped Bobby and his supreme tactical and pressing game at the expense of a showman even in his prime who would have probably seen us win not as much? Besides, Torres probably only had 3 prime years as a player whereas Bobby had at least 5/6.

Torres was a better striker than Bobby. But Bobby is a better all round footballer. I love them both. They are both legends at this club in my opinion.

Funny how some people call that little c*nt suarez a legend and not torres.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #3322: May 13, 2023 03:10:23 pm

Some of you must be thick skinned if they can call him a legend the way he sh*t on the club and more importantly the fans. 🤦‍♂️
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #3323: May 13, 2023 03:28:48 pm
      Bobby is quite unique in the way he plays the game . We will miss him dearly for just being Bobby some of his touches and flicks and no look goals are unique to him. I hope he enjoys his time at his new club because no other team will love him as much as we have.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1634 
      Reply #3324: May 13, 2023 07:44:32 pm
      Torres was a better striker than Bobby. But Bobby is a better all round footballer. I love them both. They are both legends at this club in my opinion.

Torres was class no doubt loved watching him
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #3325: May 13, 2023 11:05:32 pm
      Torres and Suarez were world class players but not legends of the club. A league cup between them and both fu**ed us off.

Bobby on the hand is a Liverpool legend. Gave us his best years and an integral part of a team that won everything.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #3326: May 14, 2023 12:14:54 am

Come on mate read your post again……. Supreme presser? You do realise any player can can press it’s not a skill………

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #3327: May 14, 2023 12:15:30 am

Agreed - hate that snide Suarez. The way he assumed he was going to score at anfield second leg and promised to try not celebrate like he did in the first leg. He’s a rat.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #3328: May 14, 2023 12:16:43 am
      Come on mate read your post again……. Supreme presser? You do realise any player can can press it’s not a skill………

Anyone can press at this level? Really?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #3329: May 14, 2023 12:19:30 am
      Anyone can press at this level? Really?

Yes all you have to do is run 🤷‍♂️
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #3330: May 14, 2023 12:22:27 am
      Bobby biggest strengths were his first touch, close control and the ability to attract opposition defenders away from the likes of Salah and Mane.

And yeah he did lead the press but that is not a skill it’s just a desire to want to close down the opposition.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,972 posts | 2051 
      Reply #3331: May 14, 2023 12:58:13 am

Well if it was that easy why aren't there more Bobby Firmino's in the game? Put simply, if anyone can do it, why isn't everyone doing it?

Pressing at his level is a skill. It requires excellent timing and reading of the game. Awareness of where you and your opponents are as well.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,454 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #3332: May 14, 2023 07:32:45 am
      Torres and Suarez were world class players but not legends of the club. A league cup between them and both fu**ed us off.

Bobby on the hand is a Liverpool legend. Gave us his best years and an integral part of a team that won everything.

100% correct
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #3333: May 14, 2023 08:44:19 am
      Yes all you have to do is run 🤷‍♂️

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #3334: May 14, 2023 09:45:29 am
      Well if it was that easy why aren't there more Bobby Firmino's in the game? Put simply, if anyone can do it, why isn't everyone doing it?

Pressing at his level is a skill. It requires excellent timing and reading of the game. Awareness of where you and your opponents are as well.

How many coaches make pressing one of their main tactics? 

Being very fit yes, the rest of what you posted nah if you have a football brain which most players do then it’s actually fairly simple as long as your colleagues follow.

Quick Reply