Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Where will finish in May?

1st.
      9 (13.6%)
      2nd - 4th
      35 (53%)
      5th - 7th
      22 (33.3%)
      8th and below.
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Voting closed: Aug 09, 2015 08:45:37 pm

Realistic expectation for 2015-16 season (Poll added)

Read 26889 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Realistic expectation for new season (Poll added)
      Reply #184: Aug 06, 2015 01:22:02 pm
      Beat all the teams that finished below us last season and get draws against teams above win the leauge!!

In other words, going unbeaten a whole season, something which has only happened twice in history and only once in modern times? Very realistic indeed ;D
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #185: Aug 06, 2015 01:33:55 pm
      As I said before, If Firmino & Benteke settle and adapt and we keep Sakho, Lucas, Firmino/Coutinho and Benteke/Sturridge fit and playing regularly, I'd say 2nd-4th, possibly even challenge.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,659 posts | 489 
      Reply #186: Aug 06, 2015 01:44:16 pm
      We haven't kicked a ball yet mate so anything is possible just seen the Aussies lose 9 wickets for 50 runs anything is possible.
      no way on Gods earth will we be as poor as last time we have bought Goals in Benteke and others Milner will provide good cover for the CB's I just feel all things considered this is a better balanced squad than last few seasons so at this point for me everything is up for grabs
      Agree with you there.The real game hasn't started yet.We looked good last season in pre season yet the main season was shambles which shows how unpredictable football is.Plenty to be positive this time around.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #187: Aug 06, 2015 02:17:59 pm
      Really depends on how well guys like Benteke and Firmino settle in. Benteke looks a real handful and Firmino looks like he'll be a hit, but you never can tell sometimes. I have full confidence in Milner and Clyne to do well, so no worries there.

Sturridge coming back matters too. If he can stay fit the entire season upon his return, I reckon we'll be in the CL qualification discussion all season.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #188: May 09, 2016 11:30:29 am
      As we're coming to the close of the season I thought I'd resurrect this topic to see how we all faired with our expectations.

Mine was to be able to enjoy the football again, which I have. 

I did predict a 2nd to 4th finish in August but that was before all the injuries, with hindsight 2 Cup Finals, a possible 6th place finish, resurrecting our standing in Europe and having Jürgen to take us forward isn't a bad seasons work  ;D

How about you guys - what were your expectations last August and have they been met?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #189: May 09, 2016 11:43:00 am
      Similar I predicted 2-4 but obviously too many injuries and getting the lads used to playing the way Jürgen put that on the back burner.

Two Cup finals was unimaginable for me under Rodgers.

The biggest plus for me is that we managed to get Klopp!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5005 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #190: May 09, 2016 02:24:02 pm
      Can't remember to be honest but I'd have probably said top 4 to be realistic, so probably 2/3 wins short, we had a proper sh*t start tho and once TPM had lost the dressing room we were always on the back foot,
      Jürgen came in and has transformed us albeit we still had difficult times with injuries,
      some w**ker blames him still, I've heard he's on gardening leave and was seen stroking his fuckstick way out West,

Anyhoo if we can reach 6th and two finals after just 7 months of Jürgen's tutelage then you won't get me moaning,
      The future is very promising, but I'll tell you what, we won't be languishing around 6th this time next year, that's for sure!!

YNWA
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #191: May 09, 2016 02:32:25 pm
      What's your expectations for this season, realistically?
      Top 4? Cup win? Title?
      I'm hoping for top 4 and a Wembley trip

Realistic in what sense? Realistic challenge or realistic finish? I realistically expect LFC to do everything to challenge for 1st place. Not top four bullshit, the title. If we miss out we're more likely to finish in the top four than aiming for the top four and missing out. What I realistically expect is largely dependant upon how the final goes, what our final league position is, and what business we do in the Summer. Once I know all that I'll get back to you :)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #192: May 09, 2016 02:51:31 pm
      Just don't see us getting close to a top 4 place (points) 5th, more probably 6th is the best I can see us getting. Again we have to integrate a lot of players into the squad, again we are going into a season with doubts about our style of play, our best formation, our strikers and defence.

People get carried away by a few easy victories against 4th rate friendly opposition and expect us to do similar when we come up against prem sides.

I desperately hope I am wrong but I see a lot more problems before we find the way forward. I expect some of the players we signed last season to have more of an impact this season, but don't think that will be nearly enough to take us back where we belong.

Maybe if we can somehow keep in contention for the top 4 spots till Christmas we may finish closer than I think, but sadly I think by October our title hopes will be gone and by Christmas hopes of top four will seem but a distant memory. Just don't see this team or manager as one that will fight for ever point or a team that would rather win ugly than lose.

Maybe the cups will brighten our season....

Sorry, just not feeling the optimism that others are.

Not quite a threat to Mystic Meg :)
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #193: May 09, 2016 02:55:41 pm
      Realistic in what sense? Realistic challenge or realistic finish? I realistically expect LFC to do everything to challenge for 1st place. Not top four bullshit, the title. If we miss out we're more likely to finish in the top four than aiming for the top four and missing out. What I realistically expect is largely dependant upon how the final goes, what our final league position is, and what business we do in the Summer. Once I know all that I'll get back to you :)

I'm not sure what you're getting at as the question was asked in June 2015, the season is nearly over and Leicester have won the league.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4589 
      Reply #194: May 09, 2016 04:25:28 pm
      I think I had us finishing in 6th this season before the managerial change, as much as it hurts our league campaign has been underwealming the cups have softened the blow but beyond expectation I never expected us to be in a European final .....

If we win the Europa Cup I'll class this season as a success...by that I mean we as a club have hit out target of champions league football.... Which is what we were all hoping for,4th & above.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #195: May 09, 2016 05:11:24 pm
      Voted 5-7th, mentioned it may take time to gel it together.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #196: May 09, 2016 06:31:58 pm
      Think I predicted 5th or 6th with a cup win
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #197: May 09, 2016 06:36:24 pm
      3rd.

Spuds have moved ahead of us ... and could give the Foxes a closer run.

Think we will knock back both Manc teams and Arsenal will be 4th.

Expecting a vast improvement over Brendan's "par".

Trophy would be a bonus.
      « Last Edit: May 09, 2016 06:54:42 pm by JD, Reason: Brendan is his name »
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Realistic expectation for 2015-16 season (Poll added)
      Reply #198: May 09, 2016 07:17:21 pm
      I've gone for 5th - 7th because I think we'll just miss out on the top 4 but not by much. I'd like to think we'd give the Europa League a good shot though and I think we'll get to the final of the FA Cup this time around.

This was my prediction. Not a bad one really. We look to be finishing 5th-7th, we're in the final of the Europa League so we've given it a good go and I got a domestic cup final right but it was the other one.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #199: May 09, 2016 07:28:09 pm

I can't predict a match result to save my life though :D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #200: May 09, 2016 07:32:15 pm
      Nah ignore that, I've just had a look and I predicted sun at the weekends and leaves in autumn.

Being a c**t, a full time profession.

I remember reading that post this morning mate and thinking  :lmao: typical Ian. 

Was it your previous self or the new you, can't remember when you deserted only to return  :P
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #201: May 09, 2016 07:33:32 pm
      This was my prediction. Not a bad one really. We look to be finishing 5th-7th, we're in the final of the Europa League so we've given it a good go and I got a domestic cup final right but it was the other one.

Not bad that mate.  I don't think many had high hopes in the league but most would have liked a cup run.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #202: May 09, 2016 08:12:39 pm
      The lesson to be learnt is long term predictions only, bet on us to win the league next year and we'll be golden you lucky charm you. ;)

I'm not sure, I can't remember when I saw my arse but hopefully I haven't changed that much. ;D

Not one bit mate.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #203: May 09, 2016 08:31:21 pm
      Piss poor league season in all honesty and going into the new season with Rodgers, it was exactly what myself and many others expected. But it's still been a darn sight better than last season. Klopp coming in and taking over a team rock bottom on confidence and led us to not 1 but 2 cup finals, one of which a European one after us failing to reach any under the previous management.

No matter the outcome of the final against Sevilla, we finally have some justified optimism once again.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #204: May 09, 2016 08:53:12 pm
      Piss poor league season in all honesty and going into the new season with Rodgers, it was exactly what myself and many others expected. But it's still been a darn sight better than last season. Klopp coming in and taking over a team rock bottom on confidence and led us to not 1 but 2 cup finals, one of which a European one after us failing to reach any under the previous management.

No matter the outcome of the final against Sevilla, we finally have some justified optimism once again.

Couldn't agree more.

Finishing lower than Rodgers in the league and not winning vs Sevilla would not discourage me for next season and beyond. Under Klopp, not only do we have a world class manager, but most importantly, on the pitch, we have an identity.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #205: May 09, 2016 08:58:43 pm
      The lesson to be learnt is long term predictions only, bet on us to win the league next year and we'll be golden you lucky charm you. ;)

I'm not sure, I can't remember when I saw my arse but hopefully I haven't changed that much. ;D

We'll get relegated mate :D
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 733 
      Reply #206: May 10, 2016 05:17:25 am
      If we qualify for the Champs league or Europa league again. We're gonna need to be able to field 2 strong full 11's in order to push for the title.

The 'lesser' teams are getting stronger. And there is an advantage of having no european football. Even City are struggling for top 4 and i honestly dont think its simply down to their manager. if we improve on our first team, our 2nd 11 will be strong. But it will still take hard work and time.

im going to predict 5th and a cup ...for now

Quick Reply