Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Where will finish in May?

1st.
      9 (13.6%)
      2nd - 4th
      35 (53%)
      5th - 7th
      22 (33.3%)
      8th and below.
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Voting closed: Aug 09, 2015 08:45:37 pm

Realistic expectation for 2015-16 season (Poll added)

Read 26912 times
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Re: Realistic expectation for new season
      Reply #69: Jul 01, 2015 05:49:48 pm
      Very good question, and one that I think will define our season.

If I'm honest, I think the options are quite limited. Like most supporters, I wanted Suarez after seeing his performances during the South Africa world cup, and was shouting for Torres to be signed for 2 years before we actually got around to it. This time around however there's no stand out candidate. This causes a bit of a conundrum as should we be shelling out a bunch of money for someone we don't really want, or risking a champions league spot by going for a cheap "unproven" version.

Lacazette and Benzema are both dreams in my op.
      I think probably our best shout would be to get a player exchange for Dzeko/Jovetic for Sterling.
      Berahino might be worth considering too, but doing to West Ham what Raheems doing to us.
      Benteke is a dubious one, wouldnt mind it if the price tag wasn't extortionate. Jackson Martinez would have been a better bet but heading to Athletico. The big "Mourinho-esque" striker strategy with a creative trio behind, seems to be catching on...
      Dybala/Vietto would have been nice, but again all assuming they fulfill expectations.
      Bacca had good stats, and don't know enough about Rondon.
      Hernandez/Vela/Vargas are all hot and cold.

In a nutshell, if it was my money, not a clue :)
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #70: Jul 02, 2015 11:04:35 am
      I think on last years merits 5th but you never know in football and we should always aim to win the title otherwise whats the point.
      i would like us to win something, anything I think BR job depends on it if we dont he will go. so for me win the Europa as that's a CL spot which then means there's not this massive pressure to finish in the top 4. if we can do both fantastic but if not Europa should be top priority with the league 2nd. Now i know that sounds daft but I think by going far in Europa we will naturally start to improve league wise as we will gain more confidence the closer to the final we get. Use the frindge players for League cup but not for FA cup.
      1. win europa
      2. finish 4th or a close 5th
      3. League or FA cup final
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1782 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #71: Jul 02, 2015 11:14:21 am
      We all want to win something, we only have 1 trophy since the 2006 FA Cup win, the 2012 League cup win, a trophy every 6 years is not good enough for LFC, we used win something every season in the 70s & 80s, then we went dry in the 90's the odd cup here or there, bit like now, we then had some great times with GH & Rafa winning and challenging for the league.

So this season, any trophy is a priority, but on top of that, better footi, and get back into the top 4.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,946 posts | 5007 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #72: Jul 02, 2015 02:14:43 pm
      Is there any chance that threads like this can be stopped until we are actually near the first game of the Season and can actually gauge our expectations on the composition of our actual Squad?

I hear ya loud and clear mate but nothing wrong in being hypothetical even if only for a few weeks,

Would I be wrong in saying I'm actually getting quite excited and certainly more upbeat about our chances,

I really don't think we are as far off as some ppl think, last season was a mish mash of wrong decisions, unbalanced X1's, tactical naivity and unwarranted sentimentality add that lot to losing over 50 goals and with it arguably the best strike force in Europe in SaSaS, our total loss in confidence and not forgetting injuries, under performing individuals and settling in periods,

We might have more settling in this coming season too but, the majority should be comfortable in their surroundings, we should be better balanced with players playing in accustomed roles,

We have more options up front , a arguably stronger midfield and if our defence can step up too we have plenty to be positive about,

So it's not all doom and gloom for me, at the moment we have added quality, strength and balance, with more additions to follow, let's just hold fire in our predictions until Aug 6th,

See where we're at then, not gonna reach for the stars just yet tho but I can't help feeling that things are going to work out ok for us .

Can't f***in wait if I'm honest  !

YNWA

JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #73: Jul 02, 2015 04:05:22 pm
      Is there any chance that threads like this can be stopped until we are actually near the first game of the Season and can actually gauge our expectations on the composition of our actual Squad?

Why?

What difference does make to the big scheme of things? The worst scenario is it might be wrong and it means nothing…

Another case is its still wrong but we all get excited and enjoy the debate…

If you don’t think is worth it don’t post, but don’t knock it or wish it closed because you think its stupid. It reeks of arrogance, and we’re not RAWK
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #74: Jul 02, 2015 05:45:34 pm
      I would hope for us to be highly competitive and battling it out all season for a top 4 place but realistically getting 5th in the league

As for the cups, I want a quarter final at least in the Europa, a semi at least in the domestics.

The most important thing to me is to see some positivity, passion, strength and non stop, season long effort at 100% to finally put some pride back into the club
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #75: Jul 02, 2015 06:52:12 pm
      I would hope for us to be highly competitive and battling it out all season for a top 4 place but realistically getting 5th in the league

As for the cups, I want a quarter final at least in the Europa, a semi at least in the domestics.

The most important thing to me is to see some positivity, passion, strength and non stop, season long effort at 100% to finally put some pride back into the club

this is important I agree... but the most inportant thing will be to finish in the top 4 or win the Europa League. Anything after that, including demestic cups is a bonus.

we cant attract big players with CL, this is a fact.

its all about the 4th
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,294 posts | 1665 
      Reply #76: Jul 02, 2015 07:23:07 pm
      Defense still a major concern especially left side and would like to see A CB and DM to cover .
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,555 posts | 1669 
      • YNWA
      Reply #77: Jul 02, 2015 10:10:27 pm
      We need to score a lot more goals, it's that simple.
      We're loosing SG and likely Sterling, two of last seasons main scorers. BIG loss.
      Firmino could be good, but might take a while to settle, and might not be played as out-and-out striker.
      Ings and Origi imo are not yet up to being first XI starters.
      Studge can't be relied on, though if fit would be big plus.
      So we still need to sign a quality striker, someone who will score 20+ goals.
      If we don't, I expect 5th/6th place .
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,279 posts | 2834 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #78: Jul 02, 2015 10:37:48 pm
      We've had a good summer so far. Think it will depend on how Utd operate in the market and if the c/l has an effect on them. Think the top 3 will be

Arsenal Chelsea city in that order with 4th between us and Utd. I expect us to continue shipping soft goals unless we radically improve on certain aspects that we have been poo at over the last few seasons and that will prevent us being serious challengers

So I expect top 4 and demand a trophy
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #79: Jul 03, 2015 12:47:13 am
      After last season I honestly would be happy just to see us send out a team playing good football trying to win games.

I want to enjoy watching the lads again which happened very little last season.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #80: Jul 03, 2015 02:26:57 am
      Where's the 'unrealistic expectations' thread.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1782 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #81: Jul 03, 2015 07:52:15 am
      The most important thing to me is to see some positivity, passion, strength and non stop, season long effort at 100% to finally put some pride back into the clubthis is important I agree... but the most inportant thing will be to finish in the top 4 or win the Europa League. Anything after that, including demestic cups is a bonus.we cant attract big players with CL, this is a fact. its all about the 4th

None of this will happen without this but...

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1782 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #82: Jul 03, 2015 07:54:01 am
      And BTW. we were sh1te last seasson and could have finsihed in top 4, if we had played a bit better in a few of the last games towards end of season, so it really should not take that big an impovement to get back into top 4.

The rest is harder playing good footi & winning a trophy.
      REDSIDE
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #83: Jul 04, 2015 09:45:25 am
      The League, i've been waiting too long to become a LEAGUE CHAMPION with Liverpool, NOW IS THE TIME MR. RODGERS (or else)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,238 posts | 8574 
      Reply #84: Jul 04, 2015 01:35:13 pm
      The League, i've been waiting too long to become a LEAGUE CHAMPION with Liverpool, NOW IS THE TIME MR. RODGERS (or else)

Awwww you've never seen Liverpool win the league!!
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #85: Jul 13, 2015 07:38:40 pm
      Quietly confident we can have a good season. Not sure where we'll finish but will be interesting to see where we spend our money we got for Sterling too. All signs point to Benteke though.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,299 posts | 765 
      Reply #86: Jul 13, 2015 07:56:39 pm
      Having 11 players that are proud to wear the Red LFC shirt and perform to the best of their ability for the fans, week in and week out, will do nicely for a start.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #87: Jul 13, 2015 08:23:56 pm
      top 4 is realistic so far on the signings made as Utd and Arsenal dont look stronger to me. but the window opens tomorrow so we will see come august. UTD have just a tougher 6 game start as us so it all depends on who does the best after first 10 games then we can judge.

if we come 5th i just hope we win Europa along the way and get CL that way

They do now mate. mancs creaming themselves over their transfer business thus far and I don't blame them. They have signed a truly fantastic world class player in Scheinsteigger and then went and bought the best player available at Saints over the past two years.

It's a shame that we never had a look at Schneiderlein having bought the rest of his teammates. And as for Scheinsteigger, unfortunately the owners transfer policy means we will NEVER spend on a player of this ilk/age/experience. What a shame.

Realistic expectations for next season?

Sorry to be a party pooper but's it's 5th or 6th for us i'm afraid. We REALLY foooked it up in the window last summer and are still paying the price.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #88: Jul 13, 2015 08:32:37 pm
      They do now mate. mancs creaming themselves over their transfer business thus far and I don't blame them. They have signed a truly fantastic world class player in Scheinsteigger and then went and bought the best player available at Saints over the past two years.

It's a shame that we never had a look at Schneiderlein having bought the rest of his teammates. And as for Scheinsteigger, unfortunately the owners transfer policy means we will NEVER spend on a player of this ilk/age/experience. What a shame.

Realistic expectations for next season?

Sorry to be a party pooper but's it's 5th or 6th for us i'm afraid. We REALLY foooked it up in the window last summer and are still paying the price.

Schweinsteiger is not world class, at least not now.

Out top four chance hinges on our last 2/3 signings this window. If we sign the striker we need and a good DM we will have a squad to compete with the scums.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #89: Jul 13, 2015 08:46:16 pm
      It's a shame that we never had a look at Schneiderlein having bought the rest of his teammates.

Since Lucas' first serious injury, we have been at a major loss in the defensive midfield department, so baffling to over look Schneiderlin last summer :(

We REALLY foooked it up in the window last summer and are still paying the price.

To this day, this still haunts me :(
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #90: Jul 13, 2015 08:46:52 pm
      Don't really give a toss about the so called "top 4", who they sign, how strong their squads are or how much they spend, they only account for 8 games out of 38 so there's still 90 points to play for against the "none top 4".  What's the point in beating our so called "CL rivals" if we drop points against our non rivals, sort that out and we've as big a chance as those supposedly stronger teams of finishing where we need to be.

I've said 3rd for the last 2 seasons and I'm going to say the same again for the coming season, oh and I'd like us to win the EL too  ;D
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #91: Jul 13, 2015 09:05:07 pm
      Don't really give a toss about the so called "top 4", who they sign, how strong their squads are or how much they spend, they only account for 8 games out of 38 so there's still 90 points to play for against the "none top 4".  What's the point in beating our so called "CL rivals" if we drop points against our non rivals, sort that out and we've as big a chance as those supposedly stronger teams of finishing where we need to be.

I've said 3rd for the last 2 seasons and I'm going to say the same again for the coming season, oh and I'd like us to win the EL too  ;D

Don't real agree to what you say here Debs, I feel every game is important. And even more so against the teams that are going to be around us come the end of the season.
      Because if we lose one of these games, the team that has beat us has gained 3 points on us and we've lost 3 points on them and that will give us one less game to make up a point difference. So effectively they are 6 point games

Quick Reply