Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Where will finish in May?

1st.
      9 (13.6%)
      2nd - 4th
      35 (53%)
      5th - 7th
      22 (33.3%)
      8th and below.
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Voting closed: Aug 09, 2015 08:45:37 pm

Realistic expectation for 2015-16 season (Poll added)

Read 26865 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Realistic expectation for new season
      Reply #92: Jul 13, 2015 09:19:51 pm
      Need to show some F***ing balls when it comes to handling multiple competitions. We can't fizzle out of the Europa like it's nothing important again. And we can't whimper out of the domestic Cups either.

If we're serious about being successful and being a big club we have to put up a fight on all four fronts. We have the depth in the squad and Brendan, not for one second, can complain about the quality because the depth in the squad is his team with his signings.

Top 4 is the absolute minimum. But we need to show more across all competitions for once.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #93: Jul 13, 2015 09:27:59 pm
      Don't real agree to what you say here Debs, I feel every game is important. And even more so against the teams that are going to be around us come the end of the season.
      Because if we lose one of these games, the team that has beat us has gained 3 points on us and we've lost 3 points on them and that will give us one less game to make up a point difference. So effectively they are 6 point games

Of course every game is important but those teams supposedly above us become less so if we're beating the fodder home and away.  It's the system that whiskey nose used to win all those titles mate so if it worked for him why isn't it possible for it to work for us. 

I think we've got a bit too hung up about how much more money they've got in comparison to us so therefore we can't compete.  I'm not saying we throw those games because it's pointless trying to win them, what I'm saying is do everything in our power to win the other 30 games and any points we do get off them is a bonus.  I'm old enough to remember Ron Atkinson as the scums Manager believing that if he beat Liverpool they should win the League, well it doesn't work like that because there's massive points to be gained elsewhere. 

We need to become flat track bullies again, then we might have a chance.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #94: Jul 13, 2015 11:42:11 pm
      Firmino Brazillo needs to get on the score sheet fast.. two in the opening game would be good..
      we need a good start
      start well and who knows..
      this league has no sympathy and every game should be a cup final , no excuse..

The FA Cup and 3rd would do me.. the way things sit right now half way through July..
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #95: Jul 14, 2015 12:24:08 am
      Schweinsteiger is not world class, at least not now.

Out top four chance hinges on our last 2/3 signings this window. If we sign the striker we need and a good DM we will have a squad to compete with the scums.

he will have a similar impact to Fabregas at the chavs last season. They already keep the ball very well but have too much possession for possessions sake, he will play a ton of killer passes next season and is exactly what they need. It's not good news for us.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #96: Jul 14, 2015 03:02:42 am
      he will have a similar impact to Fabregas at the chavs last season. They already keep the ball very well but have too much possession for possessions sake, he will play a ton of killer passes next season and is exactly what they need. It's not good news for us.

I remember last season when majority of people here said Fabregas was overrated, too slow or not good enough!
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #97: Jul 14, 2015 05:35:27 am
      win a trophy, make us proud, stick together, play for each other
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,298 posts | 765 
      Reply #98: Jul 14, 2015 06:45:14 am
      Agree with the above post, play like the Liverpool team which never knew when they where beaten.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #99: Jul 14, 2015 06:50:27 am
      I remember last season when majority of people here said Fabregas was overrated, too slow or not good enough!

Yeah then 18 assists later......
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #100: Jul 14, 2015 07:56:52 am

Maybe but he is still a bit of a gamble for a player who will be 31 in August and has a history of knee and ankle problems, a 33 year old Xabi was keeping him on the bench at Bayern.
      Then there is the new league factor and extra physicality.
      There is no doubting his ability but I'm always a bit wary of a player coming towards the end of their career probably wanting a big fat final cheque.

Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #101: Jul 14, 2015 09:35:12 am
      Maybe but he is still a bit of a gamble for a player who will be 31 in August and has a history of knee and ankle problems, a 33 year old Xabi was keeping him on the bench at Bayern.
      There is no doubting his ability but I'm always a bit wary of a player coming towards the end of their career probably wanting a big fat final cheque.

Put it this way, I would be VERY excited if we had just signed him!
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #102: Jul 14, 2015 09:45:30 am

I know most signings are but he really could go either way.

i wouldnt be suprised if he struggled, but he could shine and be a steal at 15m...

......I personally hope he stinks the place out  ;D
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #103: Jul 14, 2015 09:51:49 am
      Either your memory is well fu**ed or you don't know what "majority" means Monkey but either way... that did give me a good chuckle.  :gt-happyup:

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #104: Jul 14, 2015 09:53:09 am
      I know most signings are but he really could go either way.

i wouldnt be suprised if he struggled, but he could shine and be a steal at 15m...

......I personally hope he stinks the place out  ;D

Yup look at Falcao at Utd undoubted talent but has he fully recovered from his ACL?,  even the much younger ( as no one actually knows Falcao's true age  ;) ) Di Maria has struggled.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #105: Jul 14, 2015 10:02:13 am
      even the much younger... Di Maria has struggled.
      Yeah, struggled with injury, HSBc.   ;)

Because, other than that his 3 goals and 12 assists, in only 1641 minutes of PL football, is anything but the display of someone who's 'struggling'. 
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #106: Jul 14, 2015 11:00:13 am

Because, other than that his 3 goals and 12 assists, in only 1641 minutes of PL football, is anything but the display of someone who's 'struggling'.

worth the massive fee they paid though? I'd want more than that!!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #107: Jul 14, 2015 11:04:51 am

When ever I saw him play he was anything but like a £64M player.
      Depends on your definition of struggling maybe I should have called him sh*te  ;D

LFCexiled
      Reply #108: Jul 14, 2015 11:22:28 am
      Just adopt the attitude of Milner and 'run through brick walls for the manager' all season.

Metaphorical ones obviously.  None of this business.... :stress_h4h:
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #109: Jul 14, 2015 11:33:27 am
      Chelsea will be better.
      Arsenall will be better.
      United will be better.
      City will be better.

We will be better - but I can't see up being better than the above.

Top 5.

(Better count in this post = 6)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #110: Jul 14, 2015 11:42:53 am
      I think we will finish fifth or sixth this season. I think we are probably even slightly weaker this season than last season. Obviously there is still time for us to strengthen and maybe we will put the Sterling money to good use. Other than that, a lot may depend on how soon and how well Sturridge returns.

I do fancy us for a cup as I think the other top clubs will be fighting for a closely contested league and give us an opportunity in one of the cups.

I think Brendan must be trying to emulate Arsenal with 101 attacking midfielders but precious few that can win a midfield battle.

I just hope I am wrong, but apart from Sturridge's return I see precious few bright spots although I think Milner will prove to be a good signing.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #111: Jul 14, 2015 11:55:59 am
      worth the massive fee they paid though? I'd want more than that!!
      Just to be clear JM: those minutes/goals/assists, when extrapolated over 38 games, equate to something like 7 goals and 23 assists. You'd want more then fair enough mate... you're a hard task master.  :laugh:

When ever I saw him play he was anything but like a £64M player.
      Depends on your definition of struggling maybe I should have called him sh*te

Well, to be fair, all that really proves is how you view the game HSBc.

That said: you do tend to look at cost before actual footballing ability and as I'm not in receivership of the 'Value For Money' algorithm you use; I can't say you're wrong.

Out of curiosity (nothing more) and anyone can answer - do you reckon a £10m player with 5 goals and 7 assists would be 'worth' more to the football team than a £40m player with 15 goals and 21 assists?  :confused-smiley-013:
      « Last Edit: Jul 14, 2015 05:57:16 pm by bad boy bubby »
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #112: Jul 14, 2015 12:00:11 pm
      Chelsea will be better.
      Arsenall will be better.
      United will be better.
      City will be better.

We will be better - but I can't see up being better than the above.

Top 5.

(Better count in this post = 6)

Seven. ;D
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #113: Jul 14, 2015 12:17:54 pm
      Obviously there is still time for us to strengthen and maybe we will put the Sterling money to good use. Other than that, a lot may depend on how soon and how well Sturridge returns.
      Alright s@int, nice to have you back - this ^^^ is why I'd rather wait until the transfer window is closed before commenting on expectation. The truth is; I don't actually care about how much others strengthen, only us.

As it stands - I reckon Firmino is a first team improver [although the loss of Sterling mitigates that to an extent]; Milner is, in my opinion, an improvement on Allen but maybe not on Gerrard [50/50?]; Ings I genuinely like as I can see how he fits but it all depends on game time [jury out only because of that] and Clyne is a definite improvement on what little we had at right-back.

So, to date, I'm marginally swaying more towards an improvement on last season. Would that be enough to see us back in one of the top slots? I doubt it. Let's see what the next few weeks bring.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,335 posts | 6386 
      Reply #114: Jul 14, 2015 01:13:38 pm

Quick Reply