Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Nathaniel Clyne (Contract Expired)

Read 106541 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Nathaniel Clyne Player Thread
      Reply #207: Apr 23, 2017 10:28:56 pm
      Wow Luke, we are on the same wave length today bud.

Think it's going to be a long Summer mate.

Agree on Milny mate, he can play and be a Star no matter where he plays on the pitch for us. Can't see him playing in his preferred role of midfield next season so it's going to have to be LB or RB but we ain't Managers so who knows what the F**k will happen. All I know is Clyne needs to have a rest.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #208: Apr 23, 2017 10:29:59 pm
      In either case though I actually see us starting next season with Clyne as our starting RB and like you I think that will be a mistake.

Absolutely poor offensively, but defensively, he is sound. Don't forget, If we had Mane RW I think there would be less emphasis on Clyne to attack. I'd be more than happy to have him as our first choice RB next season.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #209: Apr 23, 2017 10:52:05 pm
      Absolutely poor offensively, but defensively, he is sound. Don't forget, If we had Mane RW I think there would be less emphasis on Clyne to attack. I'd be more than happy to have him as our first choice RB next season.

Fair enough mate, we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think he blocks crosses well enough, I don't think he covers around well enough and I also think he's atrocious at defending far post headers.

He also allows others to do his job for him far too often and makes himself an irrelevance. You see Lucas/Can come over to double team and Clyne backs off into the space between Can/Lucas and Matip at which point he picks up nobody, doesn't close the cross, doesn't pick up a runner just marks some grass and thinks he's doing something.

This last one could be tactical because it happens so often but the earlier points are enough for me to disagree with you on their own. It's a rare thing we disagree mate but in my opinion Clyne has been and still is the most over-rated player we have in our side and it seems only now is the focus becoming on him and about bloody time, he's had a free run.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #210: Apr 23, 2017 11:10:43 pm

Have to disagree with the bolded bit mate. IMHO think his defensive abilities are cack. How many times this season has his opponent got around him and been able to put in dangerous crosses into the box? F***ing heaps is what I can remember. I'd say more crosses come in from Clyne's side then Milners.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,157 posts | 261 
      Reply #211: Apr 24, 2017 04:36:11 am
      Like few minority here, I'm so far very doubt about Clynes quality. For me, his going forward just decent as hes almost zero end product but his defense is worse. Every time opponent player bring the ball down Clyne side I'm fear for the worst as you can almost guarantee the ball then cross/pass through to the box. Clyne is overrated due to his availability and he's a good boy but for me LFC need the better quality.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #212: Apr 24, 2017 06:48:58 am
      Wow Luke, we are on the same wave length today bud.

Think it's going to be a long Summer mate.

Agree on Milny mate, he can play and be a Star no matter where he plays on the pitch for us. Can't see him playing in his preferred role of midfield next season so it's going to have to be LB or RB but we ain't Managers so who knows what the f**k will happen. All I know is Clyne needs to have a rest.

At one point, for about three minutes him and Milner switched sides in the first half and I thought 'good move' this, as Milner will offer more quality in the final third and looked way more confident straight away on his right foot and had the intent he lacks on the left. Shame they didn't switch for longer.

;)
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #213: Apr 24, 2017 09:08:09 am
      Clyne has always been a solid defensive fullback and in no point has he shown anything to suggest he can become Dani Alves.
      I feel sorry for Clyne as he is being expected to deliver something which is beyond his game level and this seems to be affecting the defensive side of his game wondering if he should he be high up the pitch supporting the attack yet still has his defensive duties.

If we had a highly mibile DM we would be more secure to the counter but Lucas pfft.

If Klopp wants to play with such attacking fullbacks, then spend some F***ing money and the same goes for LB.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #214: May 01, 2017 10:31:26 pm
      Much better from Clyne tonight back to his 7/10 performance.

He even attempted to take on his man in attack a few times.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #215: May 01, 2017 10:35:48 pm

Beyond about the 30th minute I've no idea how you give him any positive contribution to that match. Every time he went to take his man on his cross was either a pea roller that was basically a pass to Watford and an invitation to counter attack or just lost the ball.

As for defending he allowed them to get crosses in so easily it was embarrassing. Like a young lad trying to dive in early and just leaving the space behind time and again, thankfully Migs bailed him out with great command of his box, but had Watford scored from any it would have been squarely on Clyne's shoulders.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #216: May 01, 2017 10:46:08 pm

Hmm I thought he was terrible yet again. Really produced nothing going forward.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #217: May 01, 2017 10:46:32 pm
      Beyond about the 30th minute I've no idea how you give him any positive contribution to that match. Every time he went to take his man on his cross was either a pea roller that was basically a pass to Watford and an invitation to counter attack or just lost the ball.

As for defending he allowed them to get crosses in so easily it was embarrassing. Like a young lad trying to dive in early and just leaving the space behind time and again, thankfully Migs bailed him out with great command of his box, but had Watford scored from any it would have been squarely on Clyne's shoulders.

Nah mate he was decent you have just decided you dont rate him and thats fine.
      You can't cut out every cross and did you actually watch Jimmy on the other side if you want to see a truly depressing full back performance.

I know you want to see TAA replace Clyne but imo he has a lot to develop in his defensive play before he ousts Clyne.

It's a thankless task playing as a full back under a Klopp system and although Clyne has been off the races in previous games he is at usually solid defensively which for a poor defensive team is the last change I want to see.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #218: May 01, 2017 10:47:16 pm
      Hmm I thought he was terrible yet again. Really produced nothing going forward.

How is that his responsibility?

What did Milner produce or maybe Gini, Firmino, Origi?

And you are expecting a defender to produce the goods going forward behave!

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #219: May 01, 2017 10:59:19 pm
      Nah mate he was decent you have just decided you dont rate him and thats fine.
      You can't cut out every cross and did you actually watch Jimmy on the other side if you want to see a truly depressing full back performance.

I know you want to see TAA replace Clyne but imo he has a lot to develop in his defensive play before he ousts Clyne.

It's a thankless task playing as a full back under a Klopp system and although Clyne has been off the races in previous games he is at usually solid defensively which for a poor defensive team is the last change I want to see.

I agree I've decided I don't rate him and want TAA to develop past him as fast as possible but I still attempt to be objective, there will always be bias based on past performances though I'd suggest that's same with us all.

Clyne's numbers:

0 Clearances
      0 Interceptions
      0 Blocked Shots
      3 Tackles (I remember 2 being in the first 30minutes alone)

3 crosses 0 accurate
      7 long balls 1 accurate
      75% pass success rate (considering how many times we pass it around the back that is very low indeed)

For comparison Milner

3 Clearances
      0 Blocked Shots
      2 Interceptions
      2 Tackles

2 Key passes
      11 Crosses 2 accurate
      14 Long balls 9 accurate
      Also 75% pass success which is far too low from their positions.

They were both very poor but on those numbers Milner was the better of the two (as I actually had it). Clyne didn't block one cross that came into the box from his side, not only that he completely sold himself so they weren't just hopeful crosses they could be measured, thankfully they weren't of good enough quality but that wasn't through the lack of Clyne trying to gift them the opportunity.

Awful today and honestly giving him a 7 just makes no sense to me.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #220: May 01, 2017 11:29:26 pm
      How is that his responsibility?

What did Milner produce or maybe Gini, Firmino, Origi?

And you are expecting a defender to produce the goods going forward behave!

I'm not comparing him to Milner, who has also been awful these past few months. I'm comparing him to any other fullback from a top side. I expect a good fullback to be able to beat his man at least occasionally and deliver good crosses into the box. That would give us another dimension going forward, especially against teams parking the bus in front of their goal.
      I remember the first 15 minutes of the second half against Bournemouth (?) where he was showing exactly that. I thought his past seasons were also much better. What he's been showing this season is below our standards and his own standards.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #221: May 02, 2017 06:39:27 am
      I agree with most on Clyne...it could be fatigue but he just doesn't do enough when given space to attack and when u add in his poor positional play in defence at times, it becomes worrying. He needs to play with more conviction... Especially going forward.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #222: May 02, 2017 07:45:21 am
      I agree I've decided I don't rate him and want TAA to develop past him as fast as possible but I still attempt to be objective, there will always be bias based on past performances though I'd suggest that's same with us all.

Clyne's numbers:

0 Clearances
      0 Interceptions
      0 Blocked Shots
      3 Tackles (I remember 2 being in the first 30minutes alone)

3 crosses 0 accurate
      7 long balls 1 accurate
      75% pass success rate (considering how many times we pass it around the back that is very low indeed)

For comparison Milner

3 Clearances
      0 Blocked Shots
      2 Interceptions
      2 Tackles

2 Key passes
      11 Crosses 2 accurate
      14 Long balls 9 accurate
      Also 75% pass success which is far too low from their positions.

They were both very poor but on those numbers Milner was the better of the two (as I actually had it). Clyne didn't block one cross that came into the box from his side, not only that he completely sold himself so they weren't just hopeful crosses they could be measured, thankfully they weren't of good enough quality but that wasn't through the lack of Clyne trying to gift them the opportunity.

Awful today and honestly giving him a 7 just makes no sense to me.

Those stats make no sense in the context of the match where we had the majority of the possession and restricted them to one big chance at the end of the game. So in fact the whole of the defence did their job last night.
      I can count a couple of crosses which Migs held onto comfortably.
      Hardly surprising in such ircumstances that there is such a low number of clearances and tackles!

You must have missed Clynes great through ball where he put Origi through 1v1 against Gomes.

We have issues at the moment scoring goals and have neede wonder goals, you are looking at the wrong area of the pitch which needs adddressing.

Nobody was complaining about Clyne when Mane was available.
      « Last Edit: May 02, 2017 07:57:38 am by HScRed1 »
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,491 posts | 232 
      Reply #223: May 02, 2017 08:01:31 am
      Those stats make no sense in the context of the match where we had the majority of the possession and restricted them to one big chance at the end of the game. So in fact the whole of the defence did their job last night.
      Hardly surprising in such ircumstances that there is such a low number of clearances and tackles!

You must have missed Clynes great through ball where he put Origi through 1v1 against Gomes.

We have issues at the moment scoring goals and have neede wonder goals, you are looking at the wrong area of the pitch which needs adddressing.

That through ball was by Matip :)
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #224: May 02, 2017 08:02:22 am

Was it oh well.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,393 posts | 2823 
      Reply #225: May 02, 2017 08:27:55 am

Agree with this, thought he was one of our best last night.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #226: May 02, 2017 12:53:47 pm

Firstly, as already said, the through ball was from Matip.

Secondly conceding chances or opportunities to cross from the most dangerous area on the pitch is the defence not doing it's job, the fact they didn't score from those chances doesn't alleviate the problem beyond the fact that we won. We've conceded far too many goals this season, that is the main reason we're not challenging for the title and in that time Clyne has been a constant.

As for your assertion that nobody was complaining about Clyne when Mane was here, yes they were, plenty of us. Mane just masks the problem with his quality.

As for the stats removing context, they generally do but they also provide clear evidence and those defensive stats are poor when you consider their main threat came from his side (not a co-incidence). His passing contribution is pathetic in those stats, truly pathetic and you want to give him a 7, I'd suggest watch it again and again until you realise he was completely ineffective in both areas of the pitch beyond 30 minutes because until then you'll struggle recognising "why do we struggle breaking down bus parkers" and "why are we so poor defensively" he is part of both problems.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Reply #227: May 02, 2017 01:40:28 pm
      Glen Johnson 2.0.

Loved for awhile, then his play starts trailing off and he becomes more of a head scratcher. He can't even beat a man to put in a cross anymore. And defensively he's almost adequate. Seems like he was a much better footballer a couple of years back unless I'm experiencing revisionist memories.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #228: May 02, 2017 02:11:26 pm
      Bang average footballer with very limited football intelligence.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #229: May 02, 2017 03:24:45 pm
      Firstly, as already said, the through ball was from Matip.

Secondly conceding chances or opportunities to cross from the most dangerous area on the pitch is the defence not doing it's job, the fact they didn't score from those chances doesn't alleviate the problem beyond the fact that we won. We've conceded far too many goals this season, that is the main reason we're not challenging for the title and in that time Clyne has been a constant.

As for your assertion that nobody was complaining about Clyne when Mane was here, yes they were, plenty of us. Mane just masks the problem with his quality.

As for the stats removing context, they generally do but they also provide clear evidence and those defensive stats are poor when you consider their main threat came from his side (not a co-incidence). His passing contribution is pathetic in those stats, truly pathetic and you want to give him a 7, I'd suggest watch it again and again until you realise he was completely ineffective in both areas of the pitch beyond 30 minutes because until then you'll struggle recognising "why do we struggle breaking down bus parkers" and "why are we so poor defensively" he is part of both problems.

You clearly don't like him, no problems with that but the way you describe an England International would have you believe he plays for some Blue Square league team  :D

Most of the crosses last night were from midway in our half, Nintendo much anybody can do to stop those coming in but nobody was skinning him and putting in dangerous crosses from the byline and as I said the defence generally last night against a thuggish bunch of brutes did their job.

Give me his defensive errors leading to goals and I might reconsider your stats!

I understand where you are coming from regarding Clynes offensive output hell even I have been tempted to put my remote through the tv watching both Clyne and Milner constantly cutting back inside.
      I have stated previously Clyne is a defensive full back and a fairly good one at that.
      We have a fairly dodgy back line and to remove one of the stronger parts of that unit is not something I would advocate.

Of course we should expect more from a Milner and Clyne but are we really relying on them to be carving open the opposition?

If we had Nesta and Cannavaro at the back I would be fine in dropping Clyne but for me I prefer my fullbacks to be better defenders than attackers.

Quick Reply