Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Nathaniel Clyne (Contract Expired)

Read 105596 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Nathaniel Clyne Player Thread
      Reply #230: May 02, 2017 04:02:41 pm
      You clearly don't like him, no problems with that but the way you describe an England International would have you believe he plays for some Blue Square league team

See I don't get this as a commendation, because it means absolutely nothing if you're an international defender unless you're getting in ahead of the likes of Nesta and Cannavaro. Which he is not, the level of English RBs is pathetic right now but I don't care much for England as a team anyway so again, I'd rather he didn't play for them because then he'd be fitter for us.

As for my dislike of him, only in a playing sense, as a professional and a person I think he's an excellent example to others but on the pitch I say what I see and his contributions in both attack and defence make little or no positive impact.

Most of the crosses last night were from midway in our half, Nintendo much anybody can do to stop those coming in but nobody was skinning him and putting in dangerous crosses from the byline and as I said the defence generally last night against a thuggish bunch of brutes did their job.

This is wrong and highlights to me what you're not seeing. From memory now I remember two occasions near the end of the match where their winger got to the byline and crossed it back in, thankfully for Migs to catch. This was in the most crucial time of the game, when we had to be at our most defensively solid due to us holding on to a 1 nil lead. What did Clyne do, on both occasions he got ahead of the ball trying to nick in front of the player, completely missed his 'challenge' for the ball, in truth on both occasions it was not only a very poor choice it had 0% chance of success and in going for that 'challenge he allowed the attacker to wrong foot him and therefore get to the byline first and cross the ball unchallenged and unblocked. In both of those instances he took himself out of the game and made himself useless. He does the same on far post crosses all the time, he doesn't track the runner well and the amount of goals we've conceded from crosses on the right to a man unmarked on the far post are astonishingly high.

So if by 'getting skinned' you actually mean getting beaten by his man, he was on both these occasions, if 'getting skinned' you mean he was beaten in a 1v1 foot race then no he wasn't that is his one redeeming factor, he's quick and has stamina to burn but no full-back should ever be skinned in such a simple fashion, it's the most basic thing as part of the role. Watch him when an attack develops on his side, he more often than not allows someone else to do his job for him, sure this could be tactical but there is no way Jürgen is telling him to make himself irrelevant and that is exactly what he manages to do time and again. Either Matip or Lucas (whoever is the 6) will come over and pick his man up, Clyne will drop into the 'half-space' pick up absolutely nobody, not align himself to block the cross and be totally worthless as a defensive unit.

Defensive errors leading to goals, there are loads of occasions where he hasn't done enough to stop a cross, block a shot, get beaten by his man or not cover around the back, they don't have to lead directly to goals to be errors or know that he can be improved upon quite easily.

You tell me which positive contributions he had last night that warrant a 7. Firstly you wont be able to pick a single offensive one because there wasn't one and secondly you'll say the two 'tackles' just before the half-way line in the first 30 minutes where really the attacker just showed him too much of the ball and he nicked in. They were gifts but I'll give him them, he still did his job properly there beyond that you'll struggle to find any other positive contributions in either direction.

Absolutely baseless the praise that Clyne gets, every single one of them a generalisation or platitude, what is he specifically good at other than running?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #231: May 02, 2017 04:25:38 pm
      See I don't get this as a commendation, because it means absolutely nothing if you're an international defender unless you're getting in ahead of the likes of Nesta and Cannavaro. Which he is not, the level of English RBs is pathetic right now but I don't care much for England as a team anyway so again, I'd rather he didn't play for them because then he'd be fitter for us.

As for my dislike of him, only in a playing sense, as a professional and a person I think he's an excellent example to others but on the pitch I say what I see and his contributions in both attack and defence make little or no positive impact.

This is wrong and highlights to me what you're not seeing. From memory now I remember two occasions near the end of the match where their winger got to the byline and crossed it back in, thankfully for Migs to catch. This was in the most crucial time of the game, when we had to be at our most defensively solid due to us holding on to a 1 nil lead. What did Clyne do, on both occasions he got ahead of the ball trying to nick in front of the player, completely missed his 'challenge' for the ball, in truth on both occasions it was not only a very poor choice it had 0% chance of success and in going for that 'challenge he allowed the attacker to wrong foot him and therefore get to the byline first and cross the ball unchallenged and unblocked. In both of those instances he took himself out of the game and made himself useless. He does the same on far post crosses all the time, he doesn't track the runner well and the amount of goals we've conceded from crosses on the right to a man unmarked on the far post are astonishingly high.

So if by 'getting skinned' you actually mean getting beaten by his man, he was on both these occasions, if 'getting skinned' you mean he was beaten in a 1v1 foot race then no he wasn't that is his one redeeming factor, he's quick and has stamina to burn but no full-back should ever be skinned in such a simple fashion, it's the most basic thing as part of the role. Watch him when an attack develops on his side, he more often than not allows someone else to do his job for him, sure this could be tactical but there is no way Jürgen is telling him to make himself irrelevant and that is exactly what he manages to do time and again. Either Matip or Lucas (whoever is the 6) will come over and pick his man up, Clyne will drop into the 'half-space' pick up absolutely nobody, not align himself to block the cross and be totally worthless as a defensive unit.

Defensive errors leading to goals, there are loads of occasions where he hasn't done enough to stop a cross, block a shot, get beaten by his man or not cover around the back, they don't have to lead directly to goals to be errors or know that he can be improved upon quite easily.

You tell me which positive contributions he had last night that warrant a 7. Firstly you wont be able to pick a single offensive one because there wasn't one and secondly you'll say the two 'tackles' just before the half-way line in the first 30 minutes where really the attacker just showed him too much of the ball and he nicked in. They were gifts but I'll give him them, he still did his job properly there beyond that you'll struggle to find any other positive contributions in either direction.

Absolutely baseless the praise that Clyne gets, every single one of them a generalisation or platitude, what is he specifically good at other than running?

Oh ok twice, Im convinced he is sh*te  :lmao:

skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,143 posts | 257 
      Reply #232: May 02, 2017 05:34:50 pm
      Again, I'm at very much curious why some supporters see the completely different things to others as they say they watch the same game. In case of Clyne in last game it's extremely strange someone just refuse to admit Clyne's defensive game having flaws.

I'm not talking about peoples opinion but just the actual things all can see on the pitch by their own eyes, sometimes people just strange :\

I myself noticed Clyne's defensive flaws many times this season and mentioned few of them in this thread. Yes he's not the worst fullback in this league and no one ever say that but the way someone keep giving him a free pass no matter what is just simply bizarre.   
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #233: May 02, 2017 05:44:50 pm
      Oh ok twice, Im convinced he is sh*te  :lmao:

That was simply at the end of the match, not the entire match. Like I said HSc:

0 Clearances
      0 Interceptions
      0 Blocked Shots
      3 Tackles (I remember 2 being in the first 30minutes alone)

3 crosses 0 accurate
      7 long balls 1 accurate
      75% pass success rate (considering how many times we pass it around the back that is very low indeed)

After providing the context of actually watching the game also then these numbers back up my assertion that he was poor, but rather than continue to go around in circles please just pay close attention in future games to his defending on both crosses and when a man comes to 'double team' the opposing winger and you might begin to see what I do. If not, and you maintain your opinion, fair enough.

On the flip-side if you want to point me in the direction of the good things he does in a match I'd gladly look out for them but I'm yet to hear any.
      « Last Edit: May 02, 2017 05:55:45 pm by KopiteLuke »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #234: May 02, 2017 05:56:52 pm
      That was simply at the end of the match, not the entire match. Like I said HSc:

0 Clearances
      0 Interceptions
      0 Blocked Shots
      3 Tackles (I remember 2 being in the first 30minutes alone)

3 crosses 0 accurate
      7 long balls 1 accurate
      75% pass success rate (considering how many times we pass it around the back that is very low indeed)

After providing the context of actually watching the game also then these numbers back up my assertion that he was poor, but rather than continue to go around in circles please just play close attention in future games to his defending on both crosses and when a man comes to 'double team' the opposing winger and you might begin to see what I do. If not, and you maintain your opinion, fair enough.

You can put up those numbers as many times as you want mate but as I have already stated in the context of the match they are meaningless, if you have any stats to show because he didn't block or clear x number of chances it led to so many chances for Watford then they might have some meaning.
      As they created virtually F**k all then Clyne along with the other defenders did their job.

I agree he is pretty useless going forward but we will have to agree to disagree on the defensive side of his game.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #235: May 02, 2017 06:00:08 pm
      You can put up those numbers as many times as you want mate but as I have already stated in the context of the match they are meaningless, if you have any stats to show because he didn't block or clear x number of chances it led to so many chances for Watford then they might have some meaning.
      As they created virtually f**k all then Clyne along with the other defenders did their job.

I agree he is pretty useless going forward but we will have to agree to disagree on the defensive side of his game.

Fair enough, happy to.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #236: May 07, 2017 08:24:45 pm
      Clyne's been appalling. The full backs have been woeful in the last few weeks, offering absolutely nothing in attack.

The Milner experiment was always going to be temporary and the last bit of juice has been squeezed out of it so this is a major priority in the summer, but really worrying about Clyne. I can see TAA usurping him if this carries on.

For sure, injuries have hampered us major in centre midfield (and Lucas, Can and Wijnaldum are just bodies in midfield doing limited work, and lacking ability to penetrate the defence) but part of our lifelessness and inability to score has been courtesy of the complete lack of width that Clyne and Milner are refusing to give to us.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #237: May 08, 2017 08:53:16 pm
      https://twitter.com/stuffIfc/status/861666255471865856

Probably as relevant to this thread as it is to TAA's.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Reply #238: May 08, 2017 09:36:27 pm

Did well on that finish didn't he?

I tell you what Grujic looks like a man among boys out there.  I hope he gets some proper first team time next year.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #239: May 08, 2017 10:09:16 pm
      Did well on that finish didn't he?

I tell you what Grujic looks like a man among boys out there.  I hope he gets some proper first team time next year.

Probably the best player on the pitch tonight and he didn't look too shabby in his cameo yesterday.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #240: May 20, 2017 12:16:33 am
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #241: May 20, 2017 09:40:41 am
      Doesn't change the fact that he's bog average and needs moving on or at least a spell out the team to make him realise his performance's are not acceptable.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,472 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #242: Jul 07, 2017 08:03:31 pm
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #243: Jul 07, 2017 08:09:26 pm

Definitely belongs in the Clyne thread, be afraid, be very afraid! :D

Interesting description from Pepjin there, I've loved what I've seen from Trent so far, looking forward to him taking Nat's place asap.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #244: Jul 07, 2017 08:25:37 pm

Interesting description from Pepjin there, I've loved what I've seen from Trent so far, looking forward to him taking Nat's place asap.

I think Trent gives the manager a long term solution but I also think it gives him some flexibility in the short terms with regards to the LB position and Milner....great talent and glad we locked him up long term.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,382 posts | 3390 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #245: Jul 07, 2017 08:30:57 pm
      Hope this is the start of many good years for taa
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #246: Jul 07, 2017 10:15:17 pm
       AA will replace Clyne in the starting 11 by the end of the season.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,472 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #247: Jul 07, 2017 11:11:55 pm

Sums my week up. Honestly no idea how that happened. Really thought I was in Trent's.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #248: Jul 24, 2017 08:44:52 am
      As you would probably all agree Liverpool have cried out for a consistent Right Back for season after season, now we finally have one in clyne I kind of want something else?

I don't know why I just think he's so....'meh'. He doesn't get into the attacking positions I'd like him to (like Glen Johnson did) and he isn't the BEST at defending. He's a 6/10 every week.

I really hope TAA comes along and either pushes Clyne out the team or works him hard enough to improve him.....even more so with the gutsy, proud Flannagan pushing as well. (If he stays)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #249: Aug 01, 2017 03:40:39 pm
      Clyne doubtful for opening game:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-clyne-injury-alexander-trent-13406855

Injury worries before the season kicks off.
      Baconbutty
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 110 posts | 22 
      Reply #250: Aug 15, 2017 08:37:31 pm
      Just volleyed his cat hasn't he after seeing that free kick.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #251: Aug 29, 2017 05:12:21 pm
      So - everything very quiet around this fellow. Anyone know when he is supposed to return to training?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #252: Aug 29, 2017 05:40:11 pm
      So - everything very quiet around this fellow. Anyone know when he is supposed to return to training?

Good question Robby...was thinking of Clyne yesterday...have not heard a peep about what is going on.

Quick Reply