Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Nathaniel Clyne (Contract Expired)

Read 106174 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Re: Nathaniel Clyne Player Thread
      Reply #69: Aug 10, 2015 01:33:10 pm
      Hasn't got much of a mention today but I thought he had a very good competitive debut. It was great to have a proper RB on the field for us and he pretty much shut down everything that came down his side. Also that nod behind when he got slightly caught out was absolutely fantastic.

Well played Nat!

Yea he challenged for MOTM for me. Never once did I feel like he made himself a liability and he covered for others when needed.

More of that!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #70: Aug 10, 2015 01:49:21 pm
      I still haven't watched the full game yet, but from the bits I watched, I thought Clyne showed some very promising signs. I was rather concerned about Ibe, whose awareness of those around him seemed quite poor. As the season progresses, however, I'd expect Ibe to get more used to Clyne's runs on the wings.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,011 posts | 3352 
      Reply #71: Aug 10, 2015 03:16:02 pm
      Best right back in the League.

A defender who defends first.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #72: Aug 17, 2015 11:04:18 pm
      Absolutely outstanding tonight, shut down almost everything down his side. Was also pushing on when given the chance, has cracking recovery pace and really does seem to have this uncanny knack of cutting out passes. Haven't seen the stats but the number of interceptions/blocked passes he did when they did try to get past / around him was fantastic.

Love the way he anticipates, constantly moving in response to the man with the ball rather than just the runner, really impressed me tonight, well in Nat!
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #73: Aug 17, 2015 11:06:06 pm
      Absolutely outstanding tonight, shut down almost everything down his side. Was also pushing on when given the chance, has cracking recovery pace and really does seem to have this uncanny knack of cutting out passes. Haven't seen the stats but the number of interceptions/blocked passes he did when they did try to get past / around him was fantastic.

Love the way he anticipates, constantly moving in response to the man with the ball rather than just the runner, really impressed me tonight, well in Nat!

Honestly probably one of the best footballer we have in the entire squad, not one time have I ever felt he was not in total command of his area.

Nice finally to have the what looks like a long term solution at RB.....makes everything so much better.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #74: Aug 17, 2015 11:06:20 pm

Would it be safe to say he's better than Johnson? :D
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #75: Aug 17, 2015 11:09:31 pm

Jaysus!

:lmao:

Yep, not quite the difference from Suarez to Balotelli but it's in the same ball park for me.

Honestly probably one of the best footballer we have in the entire squad, not one time have I ever felt he was not in total command of his area.

Nice finally to have the what looks like a long term solution at RB.....makes everything so much better.

Yeah Benito was saying it's the first decent RB we've had since Finnan and he played for us last in 2007-8? Such a relief really.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #76: Aug 17, 2015 11:10:10 pm
      Class act.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #77: Aug 17, 2015 11:31:18 pm
      Fella knows how to play, and boy can he fly down the wing to provide attacking width as well.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #78: Aug 17, 2015 11:34:27 pm
      A F***ing brick wall , no other words to describe the lad really . he's the Suarez of Defence .
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #79: Aug 17, 2015 11:49:39 pm

Playing without a RB is better than Johnson.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,636 posts | 130 
      Reply #80: Aug 18, 2015 09:34:05 am
      Playing without a RB is better than Johnson.

:lmao: :lmao:
      At least he got the number 8 shirt at Stoke now, maybe that will make him a better player  ;D
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #81: Aug 18, 2015 09:06:28 pm
      Clyne: Defensive work is paying off

Nathaniel Clyne was delighted to see Liverpool's hard work on the training field yield a second successive clean sheet of the new Barclays Premier League campaign.

The Reds made it two wins from two for 2015-16 as they defeated newly promoted Bournemouth 1-0 at home on Monday evening.

A maiden Anfield goal for summer signing Christian Benteke ensured he grabbed the headlines but Clyne, who also recently joined the club, was happy to play a part in yet another shut-out.

"There's a lot of work going on, we have to improve on our defensive qualities and we showed today that we can be solid in defence," he told Liverpoolfc.com.

"If we can get a clean sheet there's always the possibility of picking up maximum points like we did today so long the may the clean sheets continue!"

The England defender also confidently predicted that Brendan Rodgers' team will soon put on performances that match their promising results.

"It's always good to get three points, I'm sure the performances will improve and get better as the weeks go on," he added.

"It was just important today to get the three points."

And on running out at Liverpool's home ground for the first time since joining the club, Clyne beamed: "It was a nice feeling to come here and play for Liverpool at home, see the Anfield crowd and get three points.

"Hopefully there are many more three points to come."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/192108-clyne-defensive-work-is-paying-off

And you sir are a class player..may you roam the right side of Anfield for many a year.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #82: Aug 18, 2015 09:08:50 pm
      Such a massive upgrade on Johnson.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #83: Aug 18, 2015 09:13:33 pm
      Such a massive upgrade on Johnson.

Can't be overstated or lost in the 29m for Firmino or the 32m for Benteke....this guy is the best right back in the county and already looks like he has been playing for us for years....total steal at 12m.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #84: Aug 18, 2015 10:07:28 pm
      Unbelievable the marked improvement we are seeing by having this guy in the team. He stays tight to the opponent, he slides in, he attacks up the wing - excited for the gut!

We've had two underwhelming and completely forgettable 1-0 victories. But, in fairness, we've not conceded too much to the opponent. I think a lot of that has to do with the work of Clyne in providing the basis of a strong defence and the work of players like Milner who's industrious hard work across midfield makes us harder to get around at the back. Last Sunday was probably a better example of our solid defence as I thought yesterday there were a few gaps that with a little bit more quality in the opposition, should have been exploited.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #85: Aug 18, 2015 10:57:46 pm
      Feels great having a RB who you can trust.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #86: Aug 19, 2015 08:14:59 am
      Yes this position is well sorted with Clyne, really pleased with him, he doesn't give up and flippin heck give him half a chance to go forward and zoom off he goes.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #87: Aug 24, 2015 11:11:56 pm
      How awesome is it that 3 games in, we don't even talk about how good this guy is...we just expect a brilliant performance and he gives us one. Leaps and bounds better than Johnson.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #88: Aug 24, 2015 11:15:11 pm
      Easily one of the best RB in the league.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #89: Aug 24, 2015 11:16:32 pm
      The difference in class between him and Johnson is mental, great feeling to have an RB we can rely on bother defensively and going forward.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,416 posts | 3409 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #90: Aug 24, 2015 11:17:30 pm
      Just sit and let it sink in that Woy picked Phil jones over clyne, if i gave a F**k about England i would cry instead of laughing in bewilderment
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #91: Aug 24, 2015 11:42:26 pm
      The difference in class between him and Johnson is mental, great feeling to have an RB we can rely on bother defensively and going forward.

Mentally is a fundamental difference between the two. Clyne seems significantly more motivated too. Much more pace and attacks like an out and out winger whereas Johnson always seemed to prefer more inside roles.

Definitely a very reliable player and I certainly hope he stays with the club for many more years.

Also thankful we got him from Southampton instead of Chambers (yes I know they were a year apart) after tonight's performances.

Quick Reply