Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Nathaniel Clyne (Contract Expired)

Read 106475 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Nathaniel Clyne Player Thread
      Reply #92: Aug 25, 2015 01:40:34 am
      IF he stays fit and healthy throughout, he'll be world class!!! Absolutely love Clyne!
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,659 posts | 489 
      Reply #93: Aug 25, 2015 05:49:45 am
      The way he got the better of Sanchez on a few occasions was a pleasure to watch.Wonder if it would've been Johnson,the result would be different.What a top signing he is.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #94: Sep 27, 2015 12:30:00 am
      This guy is solid as bleep and his work rate is non stop. Top signing.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #95: Nov 06, 2015 06:38:57 am
      Love watching him play.  Amazing that there haven't been any comments in his thread since September.  He's just slotted right into the team and looks solid defending and going forward.  He's got to be one of the first names on the teamsheet at this point.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #96: Nov 06, 2015 08:57:13 am
      I think Finnan's been finally found.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #97: Nov 06, 2015 09:15:41 am
      If he can start adding the occasional goal and assist he will be the best RB in the league.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #98: Nov 06, 2015 10:42:59 am
      He's an absolutely top class full back isn't he? I hope that while many are keen to put the boot into the previous manager while at the same time praising the current one they'll remember that he did make SOME good signings. Clyne is a good example, as IMHO will be Benteke in time, and Gomez, possibly even Bogdan.

Praising the current manager is obviously fine because he's the best manager we've had for many a year IMHO, but I just thought I'd make the point.

Anyhow, Clyne is a top player. He and Benteke are coveted as "players we should have f****** signed" by every Chav fan who comes in here. They have a point I've got say, they wouldn't be fifteenth in the league if they had put it that way.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #99: Nov 06, 2015 11:57:22 am
      Been easy to overlook and I don't think I've commented about him often, does the job with the least amount of fuss and doesn't stop until the whistle at the end of the game, is work rate is awesome.
      We really did buy someone special when we signed Clyne.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,203 posts | 838 
      Reply #100: Dec 10, 2015 07:58:49 pm
      I don't think he is as good as people making him out to be. Average footballer and just solid defensively. He is got a poor touch and his crossing is woeful for a full back. Ok at passing and link up but takes too many touches just like Glen Johnson used to do. Positives that he's got lots of enthusiasm, work rate and runs a lot.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #101: Dec 10, 2015 08:53:16 pm
      I don't think he is as good as people making him out to be. Average footballer and just solid defensively. He is got a poor touch and his crossing is woeful for a full back. Ok at passing and link up but takes too many touches just like Glen Johnson used to do. Positives that he's got lots of enthusiasm, work rate and runs a lot.

He is fast though mate and unlike Johnson runs rather than trots back. I think his crossing as you say is woeful and he needs good support from a wide player if he is to cause a defence any problems.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #102: Dec 10, 2015 09:11:37 pm
      He's a very good defensive fullback just not an attacking one.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #103: Dec 10, 2015 10:50:49 pm
      He's a very good defensive fullback just not an attacking one.

I'll take that all day long over a full back that doesn't know how to defend. He's not costing us games which is the main thing.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #104: Dec 10, 2015 11:17:51 pm
      A fullback that can defend I will take that all day.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #105: Dec 10, 2015 11:32:30 pm
      A fullback that can defend I will take that all day.

Ironic really. When we have Johnson who wasn't good at defending it wasn't good enough but now we have Clyne who can defend it's not good enough because he isn't amazing going forward.

Ultimately, if he does his job defensively I can over look his crossing or whatever. You know, what with being a defender and all that.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,203 posts | 838 
      Reply #106: Dec 12, 2015 07:37:20 am
      Ironic really. When we have Johnson who wasn't good at defending it wasn't good enough but now we have Clyne who can defend it's not good enough because he isn't amazing going forward.

Ultimately, if he does his job defensively I can over look his crossing or whatever. You know, what with being a defender and all that.

In the end what's important is that he should be able to do both, defend and attack. To me he will be as consistent as Finnan used to be, nothing more and nothing less. He isn't anything special that people make him out to be, but an improvement on Johnson? Yes for sure, but he is another english footballer who is an athlete but lacks technical attributes.

He is fast though mate and unlike Johnson runs rather than trots back. I think his crossing as you say is woeful and he needs good support from a wide player if he is to cause a defence any problems.

For sure s@int, would help if we had a quality winger to support him, not sure Milner is good enough and Ibe needs a little bit more time
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #107: Dec 12, 2015 09:04:38 am

100% with you on this.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #108: Jan 03, 2016 10:14:35 pm
      Looks nothing like the right back we purchased and expected him to be. Whilst never offering anything going forward it appears now teams are targeting him as the weak link in defence too. Everything that West Ham created in the first half in particular came from Cresswell and Lanzini down their left side his form is dipping no doubt about it us not having an alternative and him having to play so many minutes has not helped.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #109: Jan 04, 2016 08:31:37 pm
      Looks nothing like the right back we purchased and expected him to be. Whilst never offering anything going forward it appears now teams are targeting him as the weak link in defence too. Everything that West Ham created in the first half in particular came from Cresswell and Lanzini down their left side his form is dipping no doubt about it us not having an alternative and him having to play so many minutes has not helped.

I think that's it mate. Clyne is starting to show the signs of a mentally fatigued player. He could probably use a week off every now and then.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,784 posts | 6741 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #110: Jan 04, 2016 09:37:58 pm
      I think that's it mate. Clyne is starting to show the signs of a mentally fatigued player. He could probably use a week off every now and then.

Might get that with Flanno coming back?
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #111: Jan 24, 2016 09:58:24 pm
      Interesting how quiet this thread is.

Think this reflects the sort of player Clyne is: An unsung hero who could be classed as a solid and consistent performer.

Maybe we expected more from him attacking wise but I think, defensively, he's proven to be a very good player. I didn't get a chance to watch the game yesterday so I don't know how he played but, overall, I think he's been a very good signing.
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #112: Jan 24, 2016 10:02:04 pm

Think this reflects the sort of player Clyne is: An unsung hero who could be classed as a solid and consistent performer.

Maybe we expected more from him attacking wise but I think, defensively, he's proven to be a very good player. I didn't get a chance to watch the game yesterday so I don't know how he played but, overall, I think he's been a very good signing.

Pretty much our whole midfield and defense was sh*t, and Clyne doesn't escape that indictment.  He didn't really do anything of note on either side of the ball.

I do agree though, he is usually a solid and reliable player.  We were just sh*t yesterday and were very lucky to get the win.  Firmino, Hendo, and Lallana bailed everyone else out....
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #113: Jan 24, 2016 10:02:18 pm

I'm a little underwhelmed to be honest. He's consistent enough, around 7/10, but I fully expected him to be more involved in the business end, chipping in with assists and the odd goal.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #114: Jan 25, 2016 01:44:23 pm
      I expected more too. I rated him highly at Southampton where he was great defensively and willing and capable in attack.

Being honest in possession, his use of the ball has been utterly pathetic for a premier league footballer. Not heard anyone else say this so I might be chatting sh*t here, but he seems to have huge balance issues with the ball at his feet and it looks to cause him a lot of problems.

Quick Reply