Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Nathaniel Clyne (Contract Expired)

Read 105520 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,067 posts | 8513 
      Re: Nathaniel Clyne Player Thread
      Reply #253: Aug 29, 2017 06:15:22 pm
      Good question Robby...was thinking of Clyne yesterday...have not heard a peep about what is going on.

Last I heard during pre-season was he had a back problem.

With emergence of TAA and Gomez playing well, might as well offer Clyne back to Southampton ;)
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #254: Sep 04, 2017 02:00:07 pm
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #255: Sep 04, 2017 02:19:20 pm
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #256: Sep 04, 2017 02:23:07 pm

Good for you but I'm sure a few instances of TAA being shown up defensively and your exactly the sort who will be screaming for him to be dropped.

He is still easily our best defensive fullback and will be missed against better teams.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #257: Sep 04, 2017 02:24:35 pm

Wow, was hoping he would be back soon, I guess not.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,790 posts | 2446 
      Reply #258: Sep 04, 2017 02:24:51 pm

Wrist injury from excessive "phone use".  :P
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #259: Sep 04, 2017 02:25:23 pm
      Good for you but I'm sure a few instances of TAA being shown up defensively and your exactly the sort who will be screaming for him to be dropped.

He is still easily our best defensive fullback and will be missed against better teams.

I was being a bit flippant, but in all seriousness I much prefer TAA to Clyne, I'll happily sacrifice a bit of defence to have better attack and in fairness TAA is getting better and better at defending as well.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #260: Sep 04, 2017 03:07:00 pm
      I think that CL roster is resubmitted in January, but yeah, this must be a pretty bad one.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #261: Sep 04, 2017 04:00:09 pm
      I think that CL roster is resubmitted in January, but yeah, this must be a pretty bad one.

So does Clyne genuinely have a bad back then or is there some other injury/problem?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #262: Sep 04, 2017 04:08:27 pm

Not sounding good at all that. I prefer TAA and Gomez to be honest but that doesn't change the fact that we need all our lads fit and pushing for places.

Swift recovery Nat,

YNWA.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #263: Sep 04, 2017 06:20:17 pm
      So does Clyne genuinely have a bad back then or is there some other injury/problem?
      Barcelona wanted him. I think that's the usual cause of a bad back.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #264: Sep 04, 2017 06:22:35 pm
      It's debatable if he is best, so he is not easily our best. He is an option when fit
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,380 posts | 3387 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #265: Sep 04, 2017 06:26:06 pm
      Hope he will be fit soon, important to have experienced back to trent and joe
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #266: Sep 05, 2017 01:12:25 am
      Of course I hope he will be back fit, but I would add that outside back is probably our deepest position. Clyne can play both sides, but so can Gomez, Milner and Flanagan, with Moreno and Robertson on the left and TAA on the right. If there's one position where we have sufficient cover, this is it.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #267: Sep 05, 2017 01:14:37 am
      I wonder if he had a falling out with Klopp :O
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #268: Sep 05, 2017 02:58:13 am
      I wonder if he had a falling out with Klopp :O

Settle.

Flanagan is included. This just means his injury is worse than first thought.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #269: Sep 05, 2017 07:37:28 am

What a shocking thing to say!!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #270: Sep 09, 2017 03:44:37 pm
      It's debatable if he is best, so he is not easily our best. He is an option when fit

:lmao:

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #271: Sep 13, 2017 11:52:11 pm
      Massively underrated by the fan base, one of the best defensive full backs in the country.

Players like him are only ever missed when they are injured.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #272: Sep 13, 2017 11:58:00 pm
      Massively underrated by the fan base, one of the best defensive full backs in the country.

Players like him are only ever missed when they are injured.

The point for me isn't really that Clyne is so great it is that his back ups are Joe Gomez and TAA. Klopp knew Clyne was out for a while at the end of pre-season, his incompetence in not giving himself options here and in central defence is unbelievable. I could understand it if the idea was that we were going to splurge elsewhere but we didn't, why couldn't one or two horses for courses have been brought in in defence? Mind you Sergio Ramos would probably look like a clown in this team given the way we play
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #273: Sep 14, 2017 12:02:35 am
      The point for me isn't really that Clyne is so great it is that his back ups are Joe Gomez and TAA. Klopp knew Clyne was out for a while at the end of pre-season, his incompetence in not giving himself options here and in central defence is unbelievable. I could understand it if the idea was that we were going to splurge elsewhere but we didn't, why couldn't one or two horses for courses have been brought in in defence? Mind you Sergio Ramos would probably look like a clown in this team given the way we play

So we play both Trent and Gomez just in the cups, might as well loan them out. In fact F**k it, shut the academy and just loan all our young players out.

Klopp has faith in both these lads to make it, so do I and while there may be teething problems both of these players will repay this faith in bucket loads.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #274: Sep 14, 2017 12:13:12 am
      So we play both Trent and Gomez just in the cups, might as well loan them out. In fact f**k it, shut the academy and just loan all our young players out.

Klopp has faith in both these lads to make it, so do I and while there may be teething problems both of these players will repay this faith in bucket loads.

Teething problems? This is part of the problem with this club we talk the talk about being a big club, wanting to win things but have to put up with 'teething problems' all too often, then often when those are ironed out, take Raheem Sterling we bear no fruit from these 'teething problems' other than a healthy deposit in the bank and a beginning of the cycle all over again, Emre Can and Coutinho will likely be next on this list.
      I'm sorry but if players aren't good enough to be in our first team then they shouldn't be in it, I'm not interested in what they might contribute in 3 years time. It's actually unfair on those 2 boys to be being thrown in the way they are just now. TAA, who has not always played as a right back even for the unders in the past year or two was mauled on Saturday and it will take some recovering. Joe Gomez is a young CB recovering from 2 years of injury having  to contend with Champions League class wide attackers, these circumstances, throwing them in and hoping for the best is not how you develop young players
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #275: Sep 14, 2017 12:24:10 am
      So we play both Trent and Gomez just in the cups, might as well loan them out. In fact f**k it, shut the academy and just loan all our young players out.

They've been thrown in at the deep end very early on in their careers - I simply can't get angry at their mistakes when they are that young. And yet I fear for their development in that they are expected to develop alongside seniors like Lovren.

Quick Reply