Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Nathaniel Clyne (Contract Expired)

Read 104793 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: Nathaniel Clyne Player Thread (on loan at Bournemouth)
      Reply #552: Jan 07, 2019 09:39:14 am
      We have a manager who very much sees the human aspects of a footballers life as well and if Clyne expressed a desire to play regular football then Jürgen likely wanted what was best for the player and thought the impact on the squad can be coped with.

He treats players like human beings and we only see it from a fans viewpoint while those within the club have to look at the bigger picture.
      yeah. I like how he treats people like humans and not just footballers actually. He's a better person than most managers, I think that's one reason why most players like him and want to be in the team.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #553: Jan 07, 2019 09:39:18 am
      We have a manager who very much sees the human aspects of a footballers life as well and if Clyne expressed a desire to play regular football then Jürgen likely wanted what was best for the player and thought the impact on the squad can be coped with.

He treats players like human beings and we only see it from a fans viewpoint while those within the club have to look at the bigger picture.

I hope you are wrong that that's how Jürgen operates. His overriding priority must be the team and its overall strength, f**k some fringe player who wants to leave a few months before his contract expires, just tell him to shut up and do what he's paid to do, be ready to step in when needed and in the meantime work hard in training and try to win his place back.
      I suspect Klopp's weakness is that he is a bit to much Mr Nice, but in football you need to be tough, the very best managers always are, Shanks, Paisley, Fagan, Ferguson, Maureen etc etc. None of them would have accepted weakening a squad's strength just so that a squad player can get some more game time.

The very best managers are excellent man managers, but that doesn't mean being soft and giving in to all their requests, it means being tough but fair, like a parent and always thinking of the team first, then the player.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #554: Jan 07, 2019 09:44:17 am
      I hope you are wrong that that's how Jürgen operates. His overriding priority must be the team and its overall strength, f**k some fringe player who wants to leave a few months before his contract expires, just tell him to shut up and do what he's paid to do, be ready to step in when needed and in the meantime work hard in training and try to win his place back.
      I suspect Klopp's weakness is that he is a bit to much Mr Nice, but in football you need to be tough, the very best managers always are, Shanks, Paisley, Fagan, Ferguson, Maureen etc etc. None of them would have accepted weakening a squad's strength just so that a squad player can get some more game time.

The very best managers are excellent man managers, but that doesn't mean being soft and giving in to all their requests, it means being tough but fair, like a parent and always thinking of the team first, then the player.

I'm pretty sure I'm right but also he is far from Mr Nice as you put it.

He's tough when needed but very much sees the bigger picture and I guess Clyne has asked to leave, probably for a few months now, and Jürgen has looked at the squad and thought we can cope and has given him his wish.

You can be tough, have compassion and also manage the needs of the football club all at the same time you know.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #555: Jan 07, 2019 10:07:17 am

I get what you're saying, but Ferguson threw boots at his own players leading him to losing Beckham and Jose isn't that good at player retention either, players actually came out and said they will only stay because OGS is now manager. Clyne should have stayed until contract expired, but he was probably being a bad apple. I think there has to be a balance.
      « Last Edit: Jan 07, 2019 10:12:56 am by Ribapuru »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #556: Jan 07, 2019 10:11:38 am
      He's gone he hasn't played since Moses was a lad ffs. we have cover thanks to that nice Mr Klopp who actually has a plan for the club.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #557: Jan 07, 2019 10:16:04 am

He's tough when needed but very much sees the bigger picture and I guess Clyne has asked to leave, probably for a few months now, and Jürgen has looked at the squad and thought we can cope and has given him his wish.

You can be tough, have compassion and also manage the needs of the football club all at the same time you know.
      I hope not, he was injured. If I were a manager and a player said can I leave whilst injured, I'd be miffed off. Hopefully Clyne asked earlier.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #558: Jan 07, 2019 10:21:45 am
      https://mobile.twitter.com/LFCTransferRoom/status/1082191150331641856

Ha in other words, your style of play is sh*t Warnock and he didn’t want to play for you. Wasn’t a case of lacking class or whatever rubbish the clown was coming out with, he just didn’t want to play somewhere with a sh*t style of play.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #559: Jan 07, 2019 10:28:15 am

Soft as sh*te with Sakho wasn’t he.

Flanno too.

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #560: Jan 07, 2019 08:11:57 pm
      its evident that one thing we shouldnt be loaning out is defenders. Unless there is a plan to bring someone else in
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #561: Jan 07, 2019 09:23:24 pm
      Camacho kinda proving why Clyne was surplus to requirements.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #562: Jan 07, 2019 09:38:25 pm

Yep.

Almost as I've people in the club have a bit of an idea what they're doing.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #563: Jan 08, 2019 11:30:03 am

Don't think you were watching the same game as me. Camacho is no doubt a promising kid, but he showed last night he is not ready for the first team yet. His positioning and reading of the game were all over the place.

Speaking of which, did you notice our LB? How the f**k is a liability like Moreno STILL at our club, while a solid FB like Clyne is surplus to requirements?

I felt sorry for Milner last night. The guy was having to try and cover 4 different positions at once - CM, CB and both full backs. How anybody can interpret that game as showing that we were surplus an experienced defender is beyond me. Quite clearly we are short at least one full back (and with Lovren injured we need a CB too).
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #564: Jan 08, 2019 12:05:35 pm
      Don't think you were watching the same game as me. Camacho is no doubt a promising kid, but he showed last night he is not ready for the first team yet. His positioning and reading of the game were all over the place.

Speaking of which, did you notice our LB? How the f**k is a liability like Moreno STILL at our club, while a solid FB like Clyne is surplus to requirements?

I felt sorry for Milner last night. The guy was having to try and cover 4 different positions at once - CM, CB and both full backs. How anybody can interpret that game as showing that we were surplus an experienced defender is beyond me. Quite clearly we are short at least one full back (and with Lovren injured we need a CB too).

If we were short at full back, it was on the left hand side.

We didn't miss Clyne at right back at all.

sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #565: Jan 08, 2019 12:20:56 pm

We didn't miss Clyne at right back at all.

Sorry, but you are kidding yourself. We could have done with a Clyne on both sides last night.

Like I said in a post a couple of days ago - there must be some non purely footballing reason why Jürgen let Clyne go. Ok, so be it, but we now need to buy a full back. I am sure Jürgen knew this already. But if he didn't, he sure as f**k knows it after last night. I don't know how you can interpret what we saw last night in the opposite way.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #566: Jan 08, 2019 12:46:14 pm
      Yet Clyne can actually play left back.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #567: Jan 08, 2019 12:51:02 pm
      Sorry, but you are kidding yourself. We could have done with a Clyne on both sides last night.

Like I said in a post a couple of days ago - there must be some non purely footballing reason why Jürgen let Clyne go. Ok, so be it, but we now need to buy a full back. I am sure Jürgen knew this already. But if he didn't, he sure as f**k knows it after last night. I don't know how you can interpret what we saw last night in the opposite way.

Disagree entirely re Clyne.

We have enough on the right for me and we need a lb who can really attack.

Our whole team now sets up to overload one side or another and that’s not his natural game on the right never mind the left.

Moreno did play like he was trying to show he was pissed off - looked like just did his own thing to me but his poor show doesn’t make Clyne a better left back than he actually is.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #568: Jan 08, 2019 12:55:29 pm
      Disagree entirely re Clyne.

We have enough on the right for me and we need a lb who can really attack.

Our whole team now sets up to overload one side or another and that’s not his natural game on the right never mind the left.

Moreno did play like he was trying to show he was pissed off - looked like just did his own thing to me but his poor show doesn’t make Clyne a better left back than he actually is.
      Surely it would have been more sensible to loan Clyne out after the FA cup game though?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #569: Jan 08, 2019 12:58:59 pm
      Surely it would have been more sensible to loan Clyne out after the FA cup game though?

That's if you think Clyne playing was going to have such an impact on the game last night.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #570: Jan 08, 2019 01:24:05 pm
      Absence and a half decent performance against the Mancs has certainly clouded people's memories.

Was solid defending, mostly, awful going forward and, which rarely gets mentioned, his back post defending was comical.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #571: Jan 08, 2019 01:28:46 pm
      Yet Clyne can actually play left back.

No, he can cover at left back, but we need better cover than Clyne, who fails to provide the attacking aspect of the game that Klopp demands of his full backs
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #572: Jan 08, 2019 01:32:58 pm
      No, he can cover at left back, but we need better cover than Clyne, who fails to provide the attacking aspect of the game that Klopp demands of his full backs

Spot on El Rodders ;)
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #573: Jan 08, 2019 01:39:23 pm

Still having that option is better than having no option at all. My main issue is the stage of the season. Do your business in the summer unless it's kids leaving on loan.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #574: Jan 08, 2019 03:34:12 pm

The point is that he can cover at left back better than Moreno, and that he can cover at right back better than Camacho.

If you think we need better cover than Clyne - fine, let's bring somebody better in. But you were saying we didn't need him cos we've got Camacho!

Quick Reply