Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Number of new players

Read 7863 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6389 
      Re: Number of new players
      Reply #46: Jul 28, 2015 06:02:28 pm
      I think we are starting to move away from the point I was trying to make, which was that expectations for our new players last season where just as high as this season.

Well Lallana was injured, otherwise he'd have probably started the season in the starting 11. Lovren, Moreno and Balotelli I don't believe are of the same quality as the players we have purchased this summer. I think it speaks to how bad our squad was prior that anyone thought those three would come in and be saviors.

Maybe the same this year, but I think there's a marked improvement on the quailty of the players we've added.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #47: Jul 28, 2015 06:05:29 pm
      Well Lallana was injured, otherwise he'd have probably started the season in the starting 11. Lovren, Moreno and Balotelli I don't believe are of the same quality as the players we have purchased this summer. I think it speaks to how bad our squad was prior that anyone thought those three would come in and be saviors.

Maybe the same this year, but I think there's a marked improvement on the quailty of the players we've added.

I seem to remember there being a lot of debate over the signing of Lovren, but most people, myself included, expected Moreno to be a hell of a lot better than he was last season, based on his time at Sevilla.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6389 
      Reply #48: Jul 28, 2015 06:08:09 pm
      I seem to remember there being a lot of debate over the signing of Lovren, but most people, myself included, expected Moreno to be a hell of a lot better than he was last season, based on his time at Sevilla.

He had that wonder goal, but people were quick to turn on him. Like I said...I think a lot of us expected big things from him in the summer, but I think a lot of that was that we didn't have much quality there to start with.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #49: Jul 28, 2015 06:13:52 pm
      The big difference for me this summer is the club has got the two forward players they wanted in Firmino and Benteke.

Lambert was only signed as back up and Mario because we fu**ed things up and were able to sign him on a good deal.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #50: Jul 28, 2015 06:17:44 pm
      I think it speaks to how bad our squad was prior that anyone thought those three would come in and be saviors.

Our Squad was so bad that the previous season they had finished 2nd !
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #51: Jul 28, 2015 06:23:00 pm
      The big difference for me this summer is the club has got the two forward players they wanted in Firmino and Benteke.

Lambert was only signed as back up and Mario because we fu**ed things up and were able to sign him on a good deal.

As I remember it you were absolutely delighted when we signed Lallana AND Ballotelli!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #52: Jul 28, 2015 06:25:16 pm
      As I remember it you were absolutely delighted when we signed Lallana AND Ballotelli!

I was Saint but my point is the manager didn't want Mario which was obvious last season.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #53: Jul 28, 2015 06:31:56 pm
      I was Saint but my point is the manager didn't want Mario which was obvious last season.

Apparently Brendan didn't want Sturridge either , but because he was scoring Brendan managed to get over that problem, similarly I think if Balloteli had started scoring, you like everyone else including Brendan would be saying what a great buy he was.

If you compare the 4 players both Scott and I mentioned I don't believe there was much difference in the hopes for them if you take away the benefit of hindsight.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6389 
      Reply #54: Jul 28, 2015 06:34:23 pm
      Our Squad was so bad that the previous season they had finished 2nd !

Defensively it was yes. Weren't we better defensively last year than the year before? ;)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #55: Jul 28, 2015 06:36:33 pm
      Defensively it was yes. Weren't we better defensively last year than the year before? ;)

We were mate and if it hadn't been for those last 2 games it would have been a lot better.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #56: Jul 28, 2015 06:36:58 pm

All down to Lovren and Morino mate

:D
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #57: Jul 28, 2015 07:13:19 pm
      Not sure if I agree mate, I think most expected Balotelli, Lallana, Lovren and Moreno to walk into the starting 11 last season. The fact that none of them really put together a run of games is perhaps a warning of what can go wrong when players don't settle quickly or don't hit the ground running, especially as Benteke and Firmino won't have had much of a pre-season (even against the "pub teams" we have played)

I dunno mate, Moreno yes definately. Lallana was always going to rotate in and out with Coutinho and Sterling depending on the formation we were playing or at least that was how I saw it. With Lovren I still had Skrtel and Sakho pegged as the likely first choice partnership this time last year, even Balotelli you figure would be on the bench IF Studge was fit and we were only playing one up top. I think the four I have listed will start and will be productive (with Benteke being the unknown quantity for me, I don't have a clue how that one is gonna work out)
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #58: Jul 28, 2015 07:22:35 pm
      Personally think that Saint is bang on the money:

Balotelli: Some were almost euphoric last season.
      Moreno: Came with rave reviews and many were saying he was the answer.
      Lallana: All knew he was Brendan's main target and were convinced he was a starter.
      Lovren: Again pursued throughout the window, I think 90%+ would have thought he was coming in as a starter.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6389 
      Reply #59: Jul 28, 2015 07:45:02 pm
      Personally think that Saint is bang on the money:

Balotelli: Some were almost euphoric last season.
      Revisionism at best. Euphoric is a pretty strong word. I don't think anyone's been euphoric since we beat Man City the season before last in the run up to the title. Some liked Balotelli and some didn't. Some were hopeful (like me and Si) but hardly is that Euphoric. But it's easy to throw that out there without any real proof to back it up eh? ;D

Moreno: Came with rave reviews and many were saying he was the answer.
      As many have said, not too hard to think he was the answer when Enrique was the question.
      Lallana: All knew he was Brendan's main target and were convinced he was a starter.

He is a starter, he was injured throughout pre-season otherwise he'd have been in the starting 11 day one.
      Lovren: Again pursued throughout the window, I think 90%+ would have thought he was coming in as a starter.
      I sure did, especially for the fee that was paid. But alas, he's been a huge disappointment.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #60: Jul 28, 2015 07:57:33 pm
      Revisionism at best. Euphoric is a pretty strong word. I don't think anyone's been euphoric since we beat Man City the season before last in the run up to the title. Some liked Balotelli and some didn't. Some were hopeful (like me and Si) but hardly is that Euphoric. But it's easy to throw that out there without any real proof to back it up eh?

I seem to remember you wondering if Balotelli could be as good as Suarez.... sounds like you had hopes of being euphoric even if you never got to feel it.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6389 
      Reply #61: Jul 28, 2015 08:09:16 pm
      I seem to remember you wondering if Balotelli could be as good as Suarez.... sounds like you had hopes of being euphoric even if you never got to feel it.

Wondering if someone can produce the goals for us that Luis did isn't really euphoria is it now Saint?

Quote from: Fl Red
      Just throwing it out there.....IF (big IF I know) he puts his head down and works as hard as possible.....can he be as good for us as Luis was?

noun: euphoria
          a feeling or state of intense excitement and happiness.

Yea...definitely euphoria :lmao:
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #62: Jul 28, 2015 08:12:49 pm
      Revisionism at best. Euphoric is a pretty strong word. I don't think anyone's been euphoric since we beat Man City the season before last in the run up to the title. Some liked Balotelli and some didn't. Some were hopeful (like me and Si) but hardly is that Euphoric. But it's easy to throw that out there without any real proof to back it up eh?

Fair enough if that's how you remember it FL, but I remember people being nearly euphoric, yes.

euphoric
      juːˈfɒrɪk/Submit
      adjective
      characterized by or feeling intense excitement and happiness.

So just so we're clear and for clarity beforehand: I don't want to go trawling through your 13570 posts but if I'd said you were very happy about Balotelli joining, would you accept that as fair, if so there's very little difference.

I personally remember people being beyond very happy, but if you want to contest that, then honestly it's beside the point.

As many have said, not too hard to think he was the answer when Enrique was the question.

Actually there's plenty of people who thought Enrique was a decent defender, he developed a great partnership with Suarez and if it wasn't for his injuries he'd be our starting LB without doubt. Unfortunately those injuries seem to have changed some people's view of Jose.

He is a starter, he was injured throughout pre-season otherwise he'd have been in the starting 11 day one.

I agree, even I, who seem to clash with you on Lallana frequently, would have him in our starting XI still.

I sure did, especially for the fee that was paid. But alas, he's been a huge disappointment.

By far the biggest disappointment, agreed.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #63: Jul 28, 2015 08:45:59 pm

I agree, even I, who seem to clash with you on Lallana frequently, would have him in our starting XI still.

I don't really see where Lallana fits into the starting team.

All the pre season games have suggested a 433 with one midfielder playing the holding role, the other two will be Hendo and Milner.
      So will Lallana be ahead of Coutinho and Firmino?

Even if we go 4231 he doesn't have the pace to get away from a defender to play as a wide forward.
      He is a impact player from the bench for me and rotated with Coutinho when he is rested.

AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #64: Jul 28, 2015 08:51:12 pm
      I personally remember people being beyond very happy, but if you want to contest that, then honestly it's beside the point.

To be fair Luke, after Remy everybody was happy that we at least had a "Name" coming in; though there was a large segment of this forum concerned he would not work out; we were going into the season with an injured Sturridge and Borini + Lambert so yeah most were pleased..euphoric would be stretching it.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #65: Jul 28, 2015 09:01:01 pm
      Wondering if someone can produce the goals for us that Luis did isn't really euphoria is it now Saint?

noun: euphoria
          a feeling or state of intense excitement and happiness.

Yea...definitely euphoria :lmao:

So IF Balotelli had been as good for us as Luis, as you hoped, you wouldn't have had a feeling or state of intense excitement and happiness? I know I would have been euphoric if he had.

My own view is that the majority of posters had less doubts about Balotelli's ability and how he would fit into our style of play than Benteke.

Most people have still not seen Firmino play, yet seem convinced he is at the very least better than Sterling and Lallana?

Milner I think will be a very good signing, but he is more the player we should have signed when we got Downing rather than World Class.

Clyne is a young player with a lot of potential, but he needs to realize that potential or like Moreno people will quickly start to question his ability.

As I said originally, I believe most people had similar hopes and expectations for Lallana, Balotelli, Lovren and Moreno. The fact that those 4 didn't set the world on fire last season has made people revise their view and with hindsight their opinions.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6389 
      Reply #66: Jul 28, 2015 09:41:48 pm
      So IF Balotelli had been as good for us as Luis, as you hoped, you wouldn't have had a feeling or state of intense excitement and happiness? I know I would have been euphoric if he had.

My own view is that the majority of posters had less doubts about Balotelli's ability and how he would fit into our style of play than Benteke.

Most people have still not seen Firmino play, yet seem convinced he is at the very least better than Sterling and Lallana?

Milner I think will be a very good signing, but he is more the player we should have signed when we got Downing rather than World Class.

Clyne is a young player with a lot of potential, but he needs to realize that potential or like Moreno people will quickly start to question his ability.

As I said originally, I believe most people had similar hopes and expectations for Lallana, Balotelli, Lovren and Moreno. The fact that those 4 didn't set the world on fire last season has made people revise their view and with hindsight their opinions.

Lot of ifs, ands and buts in there and to be honest I've grown tired of discussing the past...it's dragging me down from my optimism for the future so I'll kindly find my way out. 
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #67: Jul 28, 2015 10:15:19 pm
      To be fair Luke, after Remy everybody was happy that we at least had a "Name" coming in; though there was a large segment of this forum concerned he would not work out; we were going into the season with an injured Sturridge and Borini + Lambert so yeah most were pleased..euphoric would be stretching it.

That's why I said almost, but I do understand where you're coming from, reactions were probably emphasised by the timing of the deal.

Spot on again. Saint.

I'll freely admit that:

Balotelli on signing I thought there was a chance that IF IF IF IF IF IF he could be a fantastic signing much like I've seen argued in the Benteke thread, on reflection with hindsight it appears that all the IFs didn't come true and we most certainly didn't play to his strengths so really it was probably doomed to begin with.

Moreno I thought also had the chance to become a great signing, I did say at the time that he'd have WTF moments and he was very raw but I freely admit in being very disappointed in him.

Lallana I hadn't watched much but was overwhelmed with the positivity about the lad that by the time I got to see him play I was convinced he was going to be a great signing for us. Right now my opinion on him is probably clear to all, good player but lacks the pace to truly make a consistent difference especially against top quality opposition. On reflection with hindsight I think £25m was far too much.

Lovren again as I hadn't watched much of Southampton I was going off youtube vids and people's reviews, in his first couple of games I thought he could be fantastic but has since done nothing but disappoint and right now, on reflection with hindsight i think he was massively overpriced and in no way the leader he was bought to be.

So for me to compare them to our current signings I can absolutely see how you can compare last summer's reactions to this.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #68: Jul 28, 2015 10:28:05 pm
      Lot of ifs, ands and buts in there and to be honest I've grown tired of discussing the past...it's dragging me down from my optimism for the future so I'll kindly find my way out. 

:)  Sorry, didn't mean to drag you down mate, just keep taking the happy pills. I think we have a few things to be optimistic about. Our strikers can't do any worse than last season and we won't lose 6-1 to Stoke again.... sadly that's about it :lmao:

Seriously I think we will score more and concede less than last season, but sadly not enough to trouble the top 4.

I think I had better go and spread happiness and joy in some of the other theads now.

Quick Reply