Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Brendan Rodgers. No excuses this time?

Read 39330 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers. No excuses this time?
      Reply #276: Sep 09, 2015 09:45:45 pm
      Your right mate. I , personally , don't know any fans who have faith in Rodgers. It's more of an accepted despair , that contains a a faint hope of acceptance .

have you ever seen the Rodgersout blog itpulls no punches
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #277: Sep 09, 2015 09:56:00 pm
      Walton I'm not so sure they don't care to the point where we're not winning at all,
      Although I do see where your coming from,

FSG are a step up from the last leeches from across the pond they certainly didn't give a f**k whether we won or not, their treatment of Rafa for instance was nothing short of a F**kin disgrace not to mention total betrayal,

I doubt fsg will ever stoop as low as Herpes & Gonorrhoea did.

YNWA

I hold no candle for FSG , but. They have backed the manager with a lot of money. As for Rafa, he got what he deserved. He bought poorly and was an overcautious manager who was ill prepared for what it takes to win a league title in this country. Some great cup nights, yes. But a league champion ? No.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #278: Sep 09, 2015 10:05:41 pm
      I hold no candle for FSG , but. They have backed the manager with a lot of money. As for Rafa, he got what he deserved. He bought poorly and was an overcautious manager who was ill prepared for what it takes to win a league title in this country. Some great cup nights, yes. But a league champion ? No.

I think Rafa gave us a bit more than just a few good European nights.

Stop down playing his trophy wins as something any manager can achieve!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #279: Sep 09, 2015 10:07:30 pm

talkabout making it up as you go along. Do you ever check your facts or just write stuff that has no relationship to the truth
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #280: Sep 09, 2015 10:09:07 pm

wasting your time with this one totally dismissing a man who completely rejuvinated this club.i remember the Houlier era you could have a conversation with anyone in the ground such was the atmosphere so poor.
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #281: Sep 09, 2015 10:13:43 pm

I don't. But i can't remember either of his cup wins being anything to do with his managerial expertise. More to do with one or two of our players winning the games for us. As for the 2007 european final defeat. Lay that squarely at his door.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #282: Sep 09, 2015 10:17:02 pm
      FSG deserve all the bad press and ridicule they get, those NET spend figures of a few pages back are a scandal. Even more so when you consider that had we got even a nominal fee for Balotelli we'd have been in credit, AND we've stopped paying the huge salaries of Gerrard and Johnson. That though is for another thread in my view, and I've long campaigned for them to be brought to account.

In the here and now though, by hook or by crook we have assembled a squad of players who are certainly talented enough to very seriously challenge for the top four. We've a number of players who would at least get into the squads of anyone above us (I think most of our players would to be honest) and one in Coutinho would get regular games just about anywhere else in Europe. I could name off the top of my head a good few managers who would IMHO achieve at least a sustained and credible top four challenge with this team (Mourinho, Klopp, Ancellotti, Wenger etc) and as such if Brendan can't achieve at least that, he fully deserves to come under the microscope.

Of course it's early days yet, and the more sensible fans did realise the start had "f****** tricky" written all over it. That said, as I've often pointed out it's the manner of defeat which tells a thousand tales, and while West Ham wasn't Stoke it wasn't far off. My guess is that having backed him so readily in the transfer market the owners will wait until either we are in a desperate position in the league, or the fans have got past turning on Brendan and are beginning to turn their ire stateside before they make a move. Naturally I hope it doesn't come to that (and unlike many I actually mean it when I say it), but my guess is a heavy defeat and a poor performance at Old Trafford could be terminal for the manager. Not straight away of course, but the girls in the office won't be putting any names on aeroplane tickets for Europa League games across Europe after Christmas I shouldn't think.

I wavered on Brendan being given the push in the Summer, purely because I felt he had lost much of the fanbase to such an extent that it was pointless him trying to carry on. I changed my mind back then, but seeing the reaction not just on here but everywhere else to our first defeat has convinced me I was probably right in the first place. It's a difficult enough job as it is, but knowing that the loss of one match will bring the pitchforks out is probably making the task nigh on impossible. 

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #283: Sep 09, 2015 10:18:50 pm
      I don't. But i can't remember either of his cup wins being anything to do with his managerial expertise. More to do with one or two of our players winning the games for us. As for the 2007 european final defeat. Lay that squarely at his door.

Stop posting stupid statements because I know your not that stupid.

You have started threads about being a older supporter, well why don't you post like someone with a bit of sense and wisdom.

littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #284: Sep 09, 2015 10:19:41 pm
      talkabout making it up as you go along. Do you ever check your facts or just write stuff that has no relationship to the truth

Why? did i miss us winning the league with Rafa?  He bought 76 players i think, including 17 fullbacks. most of the league football was turgid. Made many , many mistakes. He was hired to win the league.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #285: Sep 09, 2015 10:25:28 pm
      FSG deserve all the bad press and ridicule they get, those NET spend figures of a few pages back are a scandal. Even more so when you consider that had we got even a nominal fee for Balotelli we'd have been in credit, AND we've stopped paying the huge salaries of Gerrard and Johnson. That though is for another thread in my view, and I've long campaigned for them to be brought to account.

In the here and now though, by hook or by crook we have assembled a squad of players who are certainly talented enough to very seriously challenge for the top four. We've a number of players who would at least get into the squads of anyone above us (I think most of our players would to be honest) and one in Coutinho would get regular games just about anywhere else in Europe. I could name off the top of my head a good few managers who would IMHO achieve at least a sustained and credible top four challenge with this team (Mourinho, Klopp, Ancellotti, Wenger etc) and as such if Brendan can't achieve at least that, he fully deserves to come under the microscope.

Of course it's early days yet, and the more sensible fans did realise the start had "f****** tricky" written all over it. That said, as I've often pointed out it's the manner of defeat which tells a thousand tales, and while West Ham wasn't Stoke it wasn't far off. My guess is that having backed him so readily in the transfer market the owners will wait until either we are in a desperate position in the league, or the fans have got past turning on Brendan and are beginning to turn their ire stateside before they make a move. Naturally I hope it doesn't come to that (and unlike many I actually mean it when I say it), but my guess is a heavy defeat and a poor performance at Old Trafford could be terminal for the manager. Not straight away of course, but the girls in the office won't be putting any names on aeroplane tickets for Europa League games across Europe after Christmas I shouldn't think.

I wavered on Brendan being given the push in the Summer, purely because I felt he had lost much of the fanbase to such an extent that it was pointless him trying to carry on. I changed my mind back then, but seeing the reaction not just on here but everywhere else to our first defeat has convinced me I was probably right in the first place. It's a difficult enough job as it is, but knowing that the loss of one match will bring the pitchforks out is probably making the task nigh on impossible. 

but it isnt one match so it goes back into the end of last season and before the Palace and Stoke debacle we had the Semi final against Villa and a poorer performance in such an important match I cannot remember we simply did not turn up. Last season was dire it doesnt look much better so far based on our performances.
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #286: Sep 09, 2015 10:26:31 pm
      Stop posting stupid statements because I know your not that stupid.

You have started threads about being a older supporter, well why don't you post like someone with a bit of sense and wisdom.

Ok , i get it. Rafa is your hero. But he's not mine . I can pick so many holes in his tenure that i find it hard to believe that many "in Rafa they trust"
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #287: Sep 09, 2015 10:28:39 pm
      Why? did i miss us winning the league with Rafa?  He bought 76 players i think, including 17 fullbacks. most of the league football was turgid. Made many , many mistakes. He was hired to win the league.

we have done this he was not hired to win the league no more than Brendan was stop making things up. 2008 2009 we had a plus 50 goal difference scoring 77 conceding 27 how many games did you actually see.We lost just 2 games.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #288: Sep 09, 2015 10:30:14 pm
      Ok , i get it. Rafa is your hero. But he's not mine . I can pick so many holes in his tenure that i find it hard to believe that many "in Rafa they trust"

Rafa is not a hero of mine no, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the success he brought to the club.

BTW I do agree his football was really turgid toward the end of his regime.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #289: Sep 09, 2015 10:31:12 pm
      but it isnt one match so it goes back into the end of last season and before the Palace and Stoke debacle we had the Semi final against Villa and a poorer performance in such an important match I cannot remember we simply did not turn up. Last season was dire it doesnt look much better so far based on our performances.

No fair enough I take the point that we'd fallen away badly at the end of last season. I get it, and when it's added to what has been at best a stuttering start to this season it doesn't look good. When all said and done though compared to everyone else bar Man City we've started OK, but it demonstrates that many fans are completely done with Brendan (arguably justifiably so) that they focus entirely on the defeat rather than the other seven points gained. I'm just making the point that it's quite possible that the job is literally impossible for him right now, much as in the same way that it would be impossible for Hodgson to be our manager again. Even if we won the first four games 6-0 under Hodgson, everyone (definitely me included) would be just waiting for the first defeat so we could get stuck into the c***. People talk a lot about "losing the dressing room", but I think when you lose the fans it's worse. There have been occasions when managers have won them back (Ferguson at Man Utd being the most obvious example I can think of), but usually it only ends one way.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #290: Sep 09, 2015 10:37:42 pm
      No fair enough I take the point that we'd fallen away badly at the end of last season. I get it, and when it's added to what has been at best a stuttering start to this season it doesn't look good. When all said and done though compared to everyone else bar Man City we've started OK, but it demonstrates that many fans are completely done with Brendan (arguably justifiably so) that they focus entirely on the defeat rather than the other seven points gained. I'm just making the point that it's quite possible that the job is literally impossible for him right now, much as in the same way that it would be impossible for Hodgson to be our manager again. Even if we won the first four games 6-0 under Hodgson, everyone (definitely me included) would be just waiting for the first defeat so we could get stuck into the c***. People talk a lot about "losing the dressing room", but I think when you lose the fans it's worse. There have been occasions when managers have won them back (Ferguson at Man Utd being the most obvious example I can think of), but usually it only ends one way.

I agree although not a fan I said before the start of the season because of the press speculation he would face an impossible task and that it would not be fair to have to work under the pressure of having to win virtually every game and maybe this has been transfered on to the players too. I actually think if FSG wanted to help him they should have looked to a Marquee signing to deflect away from what is now a dark shadow cast over the club.
      I dont know what the answer is but a victory at UTD would help him and with just a £10mil net spend he has a case to argue over FSG's support.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #291: Sep 09, 2015 10:38:49 pm

You make some great points Mick that are very pertinent.
      I think for myself and as a few others have posted the sh*te performances and beatings from the likes of West Ham would be forgiven if we can see the end game.

We have had the Tiki taka, counter attack and now the hoofball, what is Brendan's philosophy for the long term success of LFC?

I don't think he knows and if he doesn't know how can any fan have any faith in his ability to take us forward!

littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #292: Sep 09, 2015 10:42:54 pm
      we have done this he was not hired to win the league no more than Brendan was stop making things up. 2008 2009 we had a plus 50 goal difference scoring 77 conceding 27 how many games did you actually see.We lost just 2 games.
      No, he was hired to win the league. I seem to remember we won nothing in 2008-09. I think you don't remember how many games we threw away under Rafa, in the league. 1-0 games turned into 1-1. All because of negative tactics.

His predictable subs on 68 mins. Our league games where boring to watch , with the odd spurt of high scoring games. Yet we still failed to win the league. He won two cups . Both great games for the neutral , but neither win a managerial masterclass.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #293: Sep 09, 2015 10:43:18 pm
      2 goals in 4 matches.
      1 half of reasonable footy against a shocking Arsenal defence that couldn't pass to save their lives.
      1 shot on target against West Ham after losing 3-0 at home in a game we had 3 CBs on after being 2-0 down at half-time.
      Either Coutinho or lump it tactics constantly.
      An entire team of right footed players.
      Players clearly being played through favouritism rather than form.
      Our record against the top 4 being unbelievably poor.
      Our record in cup competitions being shocking.
      Our record in the transfer market being shocking.
      Home atmosphere at a level I've never witnessed.
      Selling our best assets every year.

He should be gone already, he's been given enough rope and he's now turning blue. He's had the support, he's had the faith and he's ran out of hope there feels like there's nothing left to do but put the soil back in the ground.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #294: Sep 09, 2015 10:58:42 pm
      2 goals in 4 matches.
      1 half of reasonable footy against a shocking Arsenal defence that couldn't pass to save their lives.
      1 shot on target against West Ham after losing 3-0 at home in a game we had 3 CBs on after being 2-0 down at half-time.

He should be gone already, he's been given enough rope and he's now turning blue. He's had the support, he's had the faith and he's ran out of hope there feels like there's nothing left to do but put the soil back in the ground.

Ahh mate go on give him one more season, just one more  ;)
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #295: Sep 09, 2015 11:03:30 pm
      Ahh mate go on give him one more season, just one more  ;)

:D

I wanted to see improvement in any of the mistakes we'd made in the past. 4 games is long enough to demonstrate you're learning something but with the defense looking the same as ever, the attack looking worse than ever and the midfield looking like it has no impact on either then it's time to just draw the line.

In-game management hasn't improved, what are the positives to cling to?

He'll probably get the entire season and with FSG keeping him even after last year it wouldn't surprise me to see them keep hold of him, you know complicit manager's are hard to find when you're selling their best players. I just feel the fans will not allow that to happen, but while there's those still offering excuses at every failure then his time will be prolonged.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1631 
      Reply #296: Sep 09, 2015 11:05:09 pm
      No, he was hired to win the league. I seem to remember we won nothing in 2008-09. I think you don't remember how many games we threw away under Rafa, in the league. 1-0 games turned into 1-1. All because of negative tactics.

His predictable subs on 68 mins. Our league games where boring to watch , with the odd spurt of high scoring games. Yet we still failed to win the league. He won two cups . Both great games for the neutral , but neither win a managerial masterclass.
      Both great games for the neutral you say , I can't think of a single red who didn't enjoy those finals , and do you honestly think he had fck all to do with winning them . You're taking the piss with ridiculous fck in statements .
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #297: Sep 09, 2015 11:10:59 pm
      2 goals in 4 matches.

They are the cold hard facts. Lets not forget after all the money spent and the huge influx of players. Does anybody out there have any idea of what we do on the training ground.
      Like i have said many times before. This guy is a weak novice learning his trade , poorly, on our time and money.

Fortunately for us , our league is so poor , we could still salvage this season with a different manager. Does anybody expect nothing more than a poor display against UTD.

We actually have a chance because of their poor form. But can anyone see Rodgers taking advantage of it?
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #298: Sep 09, 2015 11:16:45 pm
      Both great games for the neutral you say , I can't think of a single red who didn't enjoy those finals , and do you honestly think he had fck all to do with winning them . You're taking the piss with ridiculous fck in statements .

Well. When you go 3-0 &2-0 down in two cup finals. I find it hard to give the manager any credit for the way the players got themselves back into those games.
       I don't remember the manager turning the game round with his decisions.
      Hamann was forced on Rafa in Istanbul. He changed the game . But it was not a calculated decision .

Quick Reply