Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Brendan Rodgers. No excuses this time?

Read 39329 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Brendan Rodgers. No excuses this time?
      Reply #92: Jul 28, 2015 12:48:45 am
      although I do think this has been a better summer than last one.

I do feel more confident on this years signings (Bogdan apart), than I did with last years. Headless chicken approach last summer I think
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #93: Jul 28, 2015 12:49:29 am
      I do feel more confident on this years signings (Bogdan apart), than I did with last years. Headless chicken approach last summer I think

Definitely this summer has the feel of a window that was properly planned for rather than an absolute scattergun approach.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #94: Jul 28, 2015 12:54:59 am
      Definitely this summer has the feel of a window that was properly planned for rather than an absolute scattergun approach.

I'd go along with that mate.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #95: Jul 28, 2015 01:01:56 am

Most of the players you could think "Yeah I can see where he fits"

Clyne, Gomez, Milner, Firmino, Benteke.

That's 5 who could quite possibly start the season.
      Massive change from Stoke last season.

Mignolet
      Can Skrtel Sakho Moreno
      Henderson Lucas Allen
      Coutinho Gerrard Lallana

£terling on the bench.

Now

Mignolet
      Clyne Skrtel Sakho Gomez
      Henderson Lucas Milner
      Coutinho Benteke Firmino

and plenty of options off the bench.

Can, Lovren, Moreno, Allen, Lallana, Ibe, Ings, Strurridge (When he gets fit), Origi, Markovic (It's a big bench)
      (Borini, Balotelli)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #96: Jul 28, 2015 01:04:48 am
      Most of the players you could think "Yeah I can see where he fits"

Clyne, Gomez, Milner, Firmino, Benteke.

That's 5 who could quite possibly start the season.
      Massive change from Stoke last season.

Mignolet
      Can Skrtel Sakho Moreno
      Henderson Lucas Allen
      Coutinho Gerrard Lallana

£terling on the bench.

Now

Mignolet
      Clyne Skrtel Sakho Gomez
      Henderson Lucas Milner
      Coutinho Benteke Firmino

and plenty of options off the bench.

Can, Lovren, Moreno, Allen, Lallana, Ibe, Ings, Strurridge (When he gets fit), Origi, Markovic (It's a big bench)
      (Borini, Balotelli)

Yep.  Plenty of quality options for resting and rotating.  Keeps everyone on their toes, something we've not had for god knows how long.
      « Last Edit: Jul 28, 2015 01:06:59 am by racerx34 »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #97: Jul 28, 2015 11:47:57 am
      What I want to see is that Brendan has learned from last season's mistakes.
      Unfortunately he seems to be already making excuses for Europa League with this "B Team " talk.
      Less of that please Brendan.

See mate that's where I think he is sounding like he is learning.

He has shown over his time here that he struggles to chop and change teams for two games a week so if we have a core number of players for the league games and then a core for the EL/League Cup is should allow him more time to prepare for the weekend league game while the others are playing in Europe.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #98: Jul 28, 2015 04:03:36 pm
      Either Win Europa or secure a top 4 place to keep his job nothing else matters this season. performance,stats etc all mean nothing if we cant achieve one of them 2 targets. if he meets one of them targets he will stay and we can move forward but only add 2,3 top players as all this 7.8 players a summer is not doing us any good as we have to start all over agian every year
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #99: Jul 28, 2015 05:24:41 pm
      Either Win Europa or secure a top 4 place to keep his job nothing else matters this season. performance,stats etc all mean nothing if we cant achieve one of them 2 targets. if he meets one of them targets he will stay and we can move forward but only add 2,3 top players as all this 7.8 players a summer is not doing us any good as we have to start all over agian every year

I totally agree in terms of winning silverware and / or getting back into the top 4. He has to deliver this season. Has to
      As for the amount of players brought in, I feel we had to do it.
      The new signing, on the whole have been improvements and ready made to start.
      Sure, we all would have preferred a few higher quality players but it seems that we just can't attract them and clinch those deals.
      I do feel that some of the 2013/14 signings will finally step up and that the 2014/15 signings are mostly better than what we have had hanging around for too long at the club.
      I want BR to finally get himself and the players mentally stronger and to stick to our strongest side regardless of the competition or opposition
      He has to implement and get back to a higher standard that Liverpool fans deserve.
      He has to stop tinkering with selection, formation and tactics so much and let opposing sides just deal with us at our strongest
      I have been thinking a lot about the great sides we had in the 80's and early 90's and how little Kenny rotated the squad and adjusted the formation. He just instilled in the players the belief and expectation that had been so evident in the decades before.
      I know football has changed massively from them but the mentality and formulae of a winning approach is still the same and we need to make that our bedrock.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #100: Jul 29, 2015 09:26:43 am
      We have to be competetive and in the mix but CL football is a must not just for Brendan but the club. Winning a trophy isn't going to be enough we have to show we are able to mix it with Chelsea ,City and Arsenal. I dont see anyone that finished above us being that much stronger than us. The way the fixtures have panned out a good start could see us right up there and having taken points of the challengers.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #101: Aug 01, 2015 09:48:24 am
      People will always find excuses for him.

FFS, some found excuses even in the 6-1 drubbing we've got at Stoke.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #102: Aug 01, 2015 11:15:10 am

I'm not sure I read any excuses after that.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #103: Aug 01, 2015 11:41:30 am
      BR weaknesses were so glaring last season, and it was not too long ago, only 3-months ago. So I'm asking the following questions, can he or will he be able to overcome these weaknesses :-

1. Did BR learn anything from last season that new players need to perform at the highest level at the very first match, not still champagne popping for new players long after the season has started and only got into gear after the first 8 to 10 matches. Has he started working on tactics, formations and studying the next 5 opponents??? Hopes he doesn;t extends his honeymoon into the season.

2. We bought most probably near to a 1/2 a dozen of new players and it appears there are quality there. Does BR even knows what are their strengths and weaknesses and what tactics he will use to fit them in or he'll continue to place square pegs into round holes?

3.  Is he able to handle pressure when it matters, how we collapsed towards the end of last season is truly shocking and that has taken the last bit of faith I had on BR. 

4. Will he improve overall to a point where he will take points off the maureens, pellis,  and wengers?

5. Will he be brutal enough to get rid of the average Joes in the team? Or will he still continue to be stuck with the Swansea level and mentality and continue to have the sentiments on average players he bought earlier on?

I'm not sure whether I should be optimistic or pessimistic.

Considering the players we have bought i so far, I should be optimistic but the abovesaid 5 points doesn't really give me much confidence. And I still stand by my opinion that BR was fast tracked into this position and nothing at this moment to suggest otherwise. This season we will  know. 

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #104: Aug 01, 2015 04:32:24 pm
      BR weaknesses were so glaring last season, and it was not too long ago, only 3-months ago. So I'm asking the following questions, can he or will he be able to overcome these weaknesses :-

1. Did BR learn anything from last season that new players need to perform at the highest level at the very first match, not still champagne popping for new players long after the season has started and only got into gear after the first 8 to 10 matches. Has he started working on tactics, formations and studying the next 5 opponents??? Hopes he doesn;t extends his honeymoon into the season.

2. We bought most probably near to a 1/2 a dozen of new players and it appears there are quality there. Does BR even knows what are their strengths and weaknesses and what tactics he will use to fit them in or he'll continue to place square pegs into round holes?

3.  Is he able to handle pressure when it matters, how we collapsed towards the end of last season is truly shocking and that has taken the last bit of faith I had on BR. 

4. Will he improve overall to a point where he will take points off the maureens, pellis,  and wengers?

5. Will he be brutal enough to get rid of the average Joes in the team? Or will he still continue to be stuck with the Swansea level and mentality and continue to have the sentiments on average players he bought earlier on?

I'm not sure whether I should be optimistic or pessimistic.

Considering the players we have bought i so far, I should be optimistic but the abovesaid 5 points doesn't really give me much confidence. And I still stand by my opinion that BR was fast tracked into this position and nothing at this moment to suggest otherwise. This season we will  know. 

We can go over and over the mistakes/weaknesses from last term all we like but what is that likely to achieve ?, F**k all that's what, I was in the 'he has to go camp' but since he has been give a stay of execution, has been backed by being allowed to bring in who he requested, has changed his back room staff etc, I'm prepared to give him the chance to rectify his wrongs,

It is last chance saloon for him and make no mistake he knows it too, I'm quite happy has reached that live & die by the sword state because at last by say Xmas we will know our destiny under Brendan,

My feelings are as usual very positive, in fact I believe we will surprise most and be serious contenders, some of you can stop laughing now, no seriously, straight away what sticks out for me is how well balanced we look as to opposed to last season, add the fact we have the potential to score goals aplenty, something we were so desperately short of without SaS,

With the acquisition of Clyne at RWB, we have a experienced young player who can deliver and defend, I like the look of young Gomez and have been mightily impressed with him pre-season, he looks to have a old head on young shoulders, miles better than Moreno imo, Skrtel speaks For himself he will always give everything, as for Lovren, I just hope he comes to the fore and performs the way he knows he's capable of, Sakho is my preferred CB but BR sees these players each day and knows better than anyone else,

Our midfield looks much better, better balanced with varying options, I think BR will stick to a 433 for the most part, but will tinker with the positions,

And so to our forwards, I think the signing of Benteke will prove a master stroke, he ticks all the boxes as far as being a ideal striker, he can obviously score, can hold up play, can dribble, and can be the playmaker, he's not a kick it and lump it sort, and unlike at Villa he will be surrounded by quality individuals,

I can see us able to challenge all the so called big boys, I can see us being very difficult to beat, I can see us scoring loads of goals and not just from the front men either, I can see Lallana bagging a few as will, Hendo, Milner, Coutinho, and not forgetting our CB's,

I don't know about you folks but I'm very confident we will be doing very well this season, I've put behind me the disappointment of last season, it's gone, it's now firmly ensconced in the annuls of history,

I can't wait now, I'm getting a tad jittery already despite our first is over a week away,

We do have a very tough start especially our away games , however, it's a marathon not a sprint, and I believe we will benefit later on the season having a easier time if you like,

As always, we all hope no 19 is on the horizon, we came mightily close not so long ago, then we were well balanced, had a shed load of goals in U.S., we played with a swagger that frightened even the best in the league at that time, we will get there again, I had a feeling at the start of that glorious 13/14 season, I have the same feelings now,

LET'S DO THIS !!

YNWA

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #105: Aug 01, 2015 09:36:35 pm

And people like you will always look for sticks to beat him with! Brendans supporters have pretty much unanimously stated that he is the last chance saloon, and will admit he should go if he doesn't improve things sufficiently!
      It's a shame that regardless of what Brendan does achieve in the future for the club, you've already went to far with your bashing to jump on the bandwagon.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #106: Aug 01, 2015 10:59:21 pm
      Brendans supporters have pretty much unanimously stated that he is the last chance saloon, and will admit he should go if he doesn't improve things sufficiently!

could someone please define what that means?  "if things don't improve sufficiently"?

is there any stick we can use to measure this improvement?  if we are not in x-place by x-time, etc etc?

or is it just another ambiguous statement that is relative and therefore can't be held to any actual measurement...
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #107: Aug 01, 2015 11:00:59 pm
      could someone please define what that means?  "if things don't improve sufficiently"?

is there any stick we can use to measure this improvement?  if we are not in x-place by x-time, etc etc?

or is it just another ambiguous statement that is relative and therefore can't be held to any actual measurement...

Seriously Fed.

Are we going to have to take a full season of this bollocks mate?
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #108: Aug 01, 2015 11:23:59 pm

Each to their own Fed! What I want is to see a return to positive football, I want us to be challenging right up to the end of the season,  tactics that work, and are tweaked whenever they aren't working. I want to see full commitment from the players, that shows the die for the shirt spirit, that the manager has installed.

I would also like to see a 50% reduction in the number of times Character and Outstanding are used in post match interviews,  :f_tongueincheek:

I do not DEMAND that we win the league, or even finish in the top 4, I believe that although we strengthened, we are still behind our rivals in squad quality, so maybe that might be just out of reach (even with Klopp in charge) this season, but a concerted effort is a must.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #109: Aug 01, 2015 11:30:54 pm
      Rodgers has has had an unbelievable amount of money to turn us into league champions. This is indisputable.
      We now look at a poor, weak team full of  weak, second tier footballers.

If you feel different, then get back and tell me about the merits of our team.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #110: Aug 01, 2015 11:41:46 pm
      Rodgers has has had an unbelievable amount of money to turn us into league champions. This is indisputable.
      We now look at a poor, weak team full of  weak, second tier footballers.

If you feel different, then get back and tell me about the merits of our team.

Just read your post history. You have F**k all constructive to say do you? What an absolute roaster.

What is it with this forum attracting complete bollocksmiths like yourself?
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #111: Aug 01, 2015 11:45:52 pm
      Seriously Fed.

Are we going to have to take a full season of this bollocks mate?

Of course we are.

Many 'supporters' would rather see us fall down the league faster than a broken lift with Rick Waller inside than see Rodgers win with us.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #112: Aug 01, 2015 11:48:07 pm
      Of course we are.

Many 'supporters' would rather see us fall down the league faster than a broken lift with Rick Waller inside than see Rodgers win with us.

Yep.

Listen if Brendan fails he fails and it won't be a surprise to many but the amount of our support that seem to be actively wishing he fails is astounding.

The 'I told you he was sh*te' lines have been written already.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #113: Aug 01, 2015 11:51:39 pm

I'd say no tropy and no top 4 this season and he's out. It's pretty simple, but you have to insist on being pedantic about it.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #114: Aug 02, 2015 12:05:40 am
      Seriously Fed.  Are we going to have to take a full season of this bollocks mate?

How bizarre that we had a disastrous last season, little to suggest anything is going to change this season, and instead of addressing your criticism where it SHOULD be addressed, i.e., Rodgers, the owners, the committee etc, you decide to have a go at... me.

you do realize it's not *my* fault that we were absolutely sh*te last season, don't you?

If we do well this season then you won't have to put up with anything from me; but yes, if we are utter rubbish again with that fraud Rodgers taking our club deeper and deeper into midtable mediocrity, yes, you will have to put up with a lot.  Because I don't sit there twiddling my thumbs thinking "oh well, we'll get it right next season."

but go on and stick your head in the sand if you'd like.

I hate to be one of *those* people but I really do wonder how many of you sunshiners are true supporters.  How on earth can you be so passive and apathetic while you see our best players ditching the club, a continual stream of mediocre mid-table signings, a feckless manager and owners who couldn't care less?

how on earth does that NOT bother you people?! 

Quick Reply