Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The BBC

Read 20595 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      The BBC
      Jul 18, 2015 11:13:29 am
      With the recent talk about the funding of the BBC and it's future in the years ahead I thought it would be interesting to get the views of the forum on the BBC and if you feel its worth the license fee and in general if it provides a good service.

Personally I happily pay the license fee as the BBC is one of my go to places for television and radio and I think it provides a fantastic service which is unrivalled across the world.

The range of programming and quality is excellent with sport, news, documentaries, drama, kids TV etc all catered for across the platforms with great live coverage of the likes of Wimbledon, Glastonbury and the like which I think are as good as you'll find.

When you also add in the digital channels like BBC 4 that has some fantastic content along with regonal programmes and radio then I think its well worth the £13 month I pay.

Do you think its worth it?

Should the license fee remain?

If not his should the BBC be funded in the future and will that affect future quality of programmes going ahead?

Interesting to hear the thoughts.
      « Last Edit: Jul 18, 2015 11:24:23 am by srslfc »
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: The BBC
      Reply #1: Jul 18, 2015 11:20:00 am
      With the recent talk about the future of the BBC and it's future in the years ahead I thought it would be interesting to get the views of the forum on the BBC and if you feel its worth the license fee and in general if it provides a good service.

Personally I happily pay the license fee as the BBC is one of my go to places for television and radio and I think it provides a fantastic service which is unrivalled across the world.

The range of programming and quality is excellent with sport, news, doumnetaries, drama, kids TV etc all catered for across the platforms with great live coverage of the likes of Wimbledon, Glastonbury and the like which I think are as good as you'll find.

When you also add in the digital channels like BBC 4 that has some fantastic content along with regonal programmes and radio then I think its well worth the £13 month I pay.

If not his should the BBC be funded in the future and will that affect future quality of programmes going ahead?

Agree totally Si.  Their sports coverage, wildlife documentaries and sit coms are reverred and renowned across the world.

The BBC world service is relied upon by millions the world over too.
      Bier
      Reply #2: Jul 18, 2015 11:29:23 am
      We get BBC 1 and 2 in my country too, been watching regularly since I was a kid. The only channels I watch more are the Dutch public service channels. I mostly tend to avoid commercial channels, alot of trash tv on there. But I do watch less and less normal tv nowadays in general. More on demand and streaming stuff. Not alot of normal tv shows, just sport, series and films really. And the odd documentary. They've actually been making budget cuts for public service channels in my country too. The media landscape is changing alot isn't it, I imagine normal tv channels are dissapearing within a few years, and internet streaming will take over.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #3: Jul 18, 2015 11:38:16 am
      As I said in another thread. I don't use it that much. Only watch MotD and Sherlock and forgot about Wimbledon. Highlights of the football won't be hard to come across if MotD left and the same goes for the tennis and other sporting events like the 6 Nations.

I don't like the puffing of the chest they're doing like they're irreplaceable. Their sporting content would be distributed out because it's too valuable to other channels. Don't listen to the radio ever so wouldn't miss that and don't check the BBC websites ever either. The TV I do watch is pretty much exclusive to Netflix and box sets.

I think I'm a minority here though as I wouldn't miss ITV, Channel 4, 5 or any other station if they turned it off quite frankly.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4: Jul 18, 2015 11:39:41 am
      I don't, excluding live football or highlights, watch live TV, but I still pay my license fee.  I do download a fair few Radio 4 and 5 podcasts, that, for me, justify the expense. To raise more revenue, I'd have no issue with product placement being used and even limited adverts during prime time/popular shows. 

Even though I don't watch, I do feel they should have a certain amount of programming that isn't commercially viable on the other channels.  Educational programs and documentaries which I believe are BBC4's remit.  I'd also conisder watching TV if they showcased comedy talent, going around comedy clubs in the UK and also something similar to Richard Herring's Leicester square podcast, though it would need cleaning up a tad.  I remember they had the comedy roadshow on BBC1, but that was so mainstream and safe, I'd want something a bit more raw.

Plus get the rights to the The Bill and start a new show and work on the iPlayer, some stuff is not up anywhere near long enough or easy to search for. Also get more of their radio programmes released as podcasts.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #5: Jul 18, 2015 11:48:44 am
      As I said in another thread. I don't use it that much. Only watch MotD and Sherlock and forgot about Wimbledon. Highlights of the football won't be hard to come across if MotD left and the same goes for the tennis and other sporting events like the 6 Nations.

But eoulfy they do it as well Mags?

I think the Wimbledon and Glastonbury coverage in particular goes far beyond what a commercial broadcaster might do with those two events.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #6: Jul 18, 2015 11:57:59 am
      There's no doubt that the bbc has major faults especially in it's structure and level of management but it does still produce quality public service broadcasting, let's not kid ourselves a large part of the government's attention towards the bbc is motivated by the perceived bias the bbc shows against the tories. The nonsense argument about the bbc using the term IS or Islamic State is an example of this.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #7: Jul 18, 2015 12:16:32 pm
      The very fact the BBC is broadcast and appreciated globally is an indication of it's integrity and quality.
      Commercial TV does not measure up on a consistent basis, the dross overwhelms the occasional watchable material and of course the dreaded advertising which gets longer breaks all the time.
      Channel 4 does kick in with some excellent documentaries and wildlife shows, although it's alternative progs can be tiresome.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #8: Jul 18, 2015 12:17:00 pm
      But eoulfy they do it as well Mags?

I think the Wimbledon and Glastonbury coverage in particular goes far beyond what a commercial broadcaster might do with those two events.

Ah I'm sure the BBC do a good job at Glasto but I don't watch it myself.

As long as I get to see the tennis I'll be happy, not too bothered about production values outside of the actual game. Actually I thought the free runner angle they had for the final this year was stupid and done poorly, the way the heads were CGI'd onto the bodies was atrocious.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #9: Jul 18, 2015 12:30:08 pm
      The very fact the BBC is broadcast and appreciated globally is an indication of it's integrity and quality.
      Commercial TV does not measure up on a consistent basis, the dross overwhelms the occasional watchable material and of course the dreaded advertising which gets longer breaks all the time.
      Channel 4 does kick in with some excellent documentaries and wildlife shows, although it's alternative progs can be tiresome.

CH 4 is the only other of the mainstream channels I really watch Stuey after the BBC as ITV has very little that interested me and 5 is pretty abysmal TV most of the time.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #10: Jul 18, 2015 12:46:49 pm
      The tories are doing this partly to repay Murdoch.
      He's hated the BBC for years.

I don't watch much BBC, but the fact that the tories are trying to silence any kind of dissenting voice should worry people, because that's exactly what this is about.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #11: Jul 18, 2015 01:50:01 pm
      Love the service the BBC provides. Second to none and so integral to the country's cultural landscape. A level and quality of broadcasting that isn't replicated anywhere else in the world. Where else would you get the brilliance of Attenborough? It's unrivalled radio coverage? It eclectic mix of music and arts on offer? It's eye opening access to the world be it through a Simon Reeve documentary or it's foreign news coverage?

I say that's a pretty good deal from what we pay in license fees.

There are some things the BBC could do a bit better (saving hundreds of millions of pounds by axing the truly awful MOTD would be a start) but on the whole I barely watch or listen to anything else.

Do everything to stop the government from destroying this institution I say.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #12: Jul 25, 2015 11:08:37 pm
      With the recent talk about the funding of the BBC and it's future in the years ahead I thought it would be interesting to get the views of the forum on the BBC and if you feel its worth the license fee and in general if it provides a good service.

The range of programming and quality is excellent with sport, news, documentaries, drama, kids TV etc all catered for across the platforms with great live coverage of the likes of Wimbledon, Glastonbury and the like which I think are as good as you'll find.

You can't even watch St Andrews open next year, I'm not paying for Eastenders and rolling news. They can fund it out of Politicians restaurant and Limo money yeah? Sorted.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #13: Aug 09, 2015 03:06:56 am
      The licence fee is a rip off is it? Well, here's what we get....

BBC 1
      BBC 2
      BBC 3
      BBC 4
      Radio 1
      Radio 2
      Radio 3
      Radio 4
      Radio 4 Extra
      Radio 5
      Radio 5 Extra
      Radio 6
      Radio Asian Network
      BBC News Website
      BBC Sport Website
      BBC Iplayer
      BBC Radio Player
      BBC Films

Raw deal my arse.

It's imperative to keep the BBC strong. First of all, its an institution which has produced Britain's finest TV programmes, but it is also important culturally around the globe - it is a soft power resource for the UK and many countries abroad enjoy the products on offer from the BBC. Secondly, it is important to keep the BBC strong so this country's culture is not at the mercy of the malignant influence of Rupert Murdoch. It is important to keep this wrinkly c*nt at bay - for a start, I refuse to buy any of his newspapers (The S*n of course) or TV. Live footie? I will stream live matches and keep the wrinkly b***ard away from my money. With this in mind, I truly hope BT Sport completely destroy Sky by obtaining even more football in the next few years.

Quite frankly, if there are Tory haters on here buying into Sky - and thus propping up "Call Me Dave", Snorting George and Rupert's exclusive elitist parties - then you are basically complicit in propping up a government you despise. Sorry, but they are basically the same thing - and until this country wipes its hands off that tax dodging crook, then our culture will forever stoop to depraved levels.

Destroy the BBC? For what? To try and get us to buy into Sky's extortionate packages, all for lining Murdoch's pockets and increasing him and News Corps strength while watching 'the best they can offer' sh*te like Trollied and Moon Boy?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #14: Apr 25, 2016 02:55:14 am
      Watched Louis Theroux's documentary on alcohol just earlier. One of the most shocking and uncomfortable documentaries I've seen in a long long while. A must see for everyone.

But proving again what an insight and education the BBC is at its best, Theroux being just one of many astonishing documentary makers it gives us.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #15: Apr 25, 2016 09:23:35 am
      Watched Louis Theroux's documentary on alcohol just earlier. One of the most shocking and uncomfortable documentaries I've seen in a long long while. A must see for everyone.

But proving again what an insight and education the BBC is at its best, Theroux being just one of many astonishing documentary makers it gives us.

Watched it as well mate. Always make a point of watching Louis Theroux.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #16: Apr 25, 2016 11:19:09 am
      Stick adverts in, there's their funding, shouldn't even be a debate, for us who can afford it there are families who struggle to make ends meet, it doesn't and never will sit well with me a corporation forcing payment from such families.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #17: Apr 25, 2016 03:26:44 pm

Tried watching it mate. Had to stop it was so distressing. 
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #18: Apr 25, 2016 08:11:09 pm
      I have a Alcoholic brother,uncle,first cousin & friend...

Horrible horrible.. addiction..
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #19: Apr 25, 2016 09:55:51 pm
      Tough watch that.. saw it myself..
      Kind of agree with Stuey in that the commercial element is not part of the BBC so hour long documentaries are an hour long and not chopped down to 35 minutes with 25 minutes of adverts..

The Sky tariff says for 6 or 7 sports channels it's £25 a month ..
      and extra £10 a month for BT sports 1 & 2
      LFC channel isn't cheap neither..

so for what you get on BBC TV & Radio I don't think £13 a month is busting the direct debit balance..
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #20: May 02, 2016 07:01:14 pm
      Although the BBC does have some excellent programs, it's NEWS coverage is akin to a Tory propaganda machine.

Has any of this been worthy of the BBC? (Apart from the last item.)

Did you know?

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #21: May 02, 2016 07:12:33 pm
      Although the BBC does have some excellent programs, it's NEWS coverage is akin to a Tory propaganda machine.

Has any of this been worthy of the BBC? (Apart from the last item.)

Did you know?

the same bbc news coverage the tories constantly gripe about being bias and seem to be obsessed with breaking up as an organisation .
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #22: May 30, 2016 11:12:30 pm
      Watched documentary on the Battle of Jutland with Dan Snow. Great programme. Strangely it followed last nights reboot of Top Gear. BBC lurching from desperate to brilliant in the space of minutes.

Quick Reply