Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Alberto Moreno (Roma)

Read 15957 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Re: Alberto Moreno (Roma)
      Reply #46: Jul 21, 2015 12:58:38 pm
      Some serious kneejerkitis in this thread.

Moreno is going nowhere, there is a very good full back in there and Rodgers knows that which is all that matters.

Is there though?

He has plenty of pace but its a myth that he is good going forward. His final pass and his crossing is at times atrocious.

He defends like a school boy too.

I'm prepared to give him another season but his first year was disappointing. If I had the choice then id put Flanagan in any day of the week over Moreno.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,516 posts | 1767 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #47: Jul 21, 2015 02:11:52 pm
      He is still young, but now we have gomez as cover, and Jose Enrique if he ever gets near full fitness, and flanno when he is fit as well.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #48: Jul 21, 2015 02:28:22 pm
      He was playing LB in a pretty average back 4 as well, which didn't help him.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,516 posts | 1767 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #49: Jul 21, 2015 03:14:53 pm
      He was playing LB in a pretty average back 4 as well, which didn't help him.

The whole team was poor tbf, a more confident team will help him too. We were under pressure in a lot of games last season, being over run, by hungrier midfields and attacks.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #50: Jul 22, 2015 01:22:00 am
      Funny how Raheem's poor performances last season were absolutely 100% his fault, he's just overrated etc etc, but Moreno's awful season, no, that wasn't his fault at all, it was the tactics, playing in a poor back four, he just needs a more confident team....
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #51: Jul 22, 2015 02:04:15 am
      Funny how Raheem's poor performances last season were absolutely 100% his fault, he's just overrated etc etc, but Moreno's awful season, no, that wasn't his fault at all, it was the tactics, playing in a poor back four, he just needs a more confident team....

Haha have to agree with that. Also, "Raheem only looked good because of Sturridge and Suarez".

Oh really - so attacking midfielders do better with two world class strikers in front of them than when playing with Lambert/Balotelli or out of position as forwards themselves? No sh*t. I'm shocked.

In the case of Moreno, one could say, and I'd be inclined to agree, that Lovren or Sakho or whoever was on the left side of our defence was usually badly exposed by his sh*t defending, more so than the other way around.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #52: Jul 22, 2015 02:41:26 am
      why isn't this thread locked
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #53: Jul 22, 2015 09:07:12 am
      In the case of Moreno, one could say, and I'd be inclined to agree, that Lovren or Sakho or whoever was on the left side of our defence was usually badly exposed by his sh*t defending, more so than the other way around.

exactly.

As if Moreno's defending weren't bad enough, what really surprises me is how he simply can't stick to his position.  Just take a look at the two Mata goals when the Mancs beat us 2-1 at Anfield:

http://www.lfc.vn/motd1/motd-liverpool-man-utd-s15-w30/

the first one he's almost at the halfway line when *they* have the ball.  So Mata just jogs in behind him.  I mean what is he doing up there?!

the second one Mata passes the ball into the middle.  So of course, you stay with Mata, right?  oh no, Moreno decides to follow the ball into the middle and chases after it, letting Mata run in behind him free again.

I really don't get how a supposed professional football player can't just stay in his position.  I've taught my dog to sit still, how can someone making thousands of pounds a week not do the same?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,516 posts | 1767 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #54: Jul 22, 2015 09:16:34 am

;D

Raheem was good right up until he refused his new £100k a week contract. We have done the raheem sictue to death, its over fin kapoot. We are all winners with his leaving.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,516 posts | 1767 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #55: Jul 22, 2015 09:18:58 am
      Anyways this should all be in the players thread, he aint going anywhere.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #56: Jul 22, 2015 03:31:15 pm

exactly.

As if Moreno's defending weren't bad enough, what really surprises me is how he simply can't stick to his position.  Just take a look at the two Mata goals when the Mancs beat us 2-1 at Anfield:

http://www.lfc.vn/motd1/motd-liverpool-man-utd-s15-w30/

the first one he's almost at the halfway line when *they* have the ball.  So Mata just jogs in behind him.  I mean what is he doing up there?!

the second one Mata passes the ball into the middle.  So of course, you stay with Mata, right?  oh no, Moreno decides to follow the ball into the middle and chases after it, letting Mata run in behind him free again.

I really don't get how a supposed professional football player can't just stay in his position.  I've taught my dog to sit still, how can someone making thousands of pounds a week not do the same?

Alberto Moreno, the new Jordan Henderson
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #57: Jul 22, 2015 04:32:04 pm

Alberto Moreno, the new Jordan Henderson

Future captain?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,264 posts | 6367 
      Reply #58: Jul 22, 2015 05:00:25 pm

What's Lovren have to do with this?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #59: Jul 22, 2015 05:17:14 pm

No

Alberto Moreno is the new Jordon Henderson for Fed; he likes to target particular players and give them his all .
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #60: Jul 22, 2015 08:53:08 pm
      To adjust to what?

So you're saying that when we buy a left back, any left back, let alone a highly rated, expensive one---we can't expect him to have any positional awareness whatsoever until his second season at the earliest? 
      Not necessarily Fed , not all players click straight away . Actually his first game he played a blinder against Spurs and yes he had some awful games but i've seen enough to warrant another season . The price tag wasn't his making so don't throw that into your argument . I can understand your impatience with players but 1 season is a bit kneejerkish of you do you not think?

GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #61: Jul 23, 2015 08:15:50 am
      He hasn't been any worse than Lovren, so why should Lovren be given another  chance?

Good point, both should be fu**ed off in this transfer window.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #62: Jul 23, 2015 01:44:37 pm
      If you're a good player you don't need time to settle at a team, even if you come from a different country, there are plenty examples of players who made great first-seasons at their clubs. That's just an excuse.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #63: Jul 23, 2015 01:52:39 pm
      If you're a good player you don't need time to settle at a team, even if you come from a different country, there are plenty examples of players who made great first-seasons at their clubs. That's just an excuse.

'cause that's not bullshit is it :D. There are external issues that play a part too like being able to find a house, having your family settled with schools, possibly being separated from long time friends or family members etc.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #64: Jul 23, 2015 02:00:19 pm

This is completely untrue.

Paul Tomkins wrote an excellent article, backed up by every kind of stat imaginable that shows just how completely wrong you are here.
      It turns out that only 26% of players lauded as "marquee" signings have had a major impact in their first season, and that includes players moving between Premiership clubs.
      Which means that 74% fall into the "mediocre" or "bad" first season.

This is not opinion, there are cold hard facts which prove this to be true.
      http://tomkinstimes.com/2014/11/a-decade-of-big-club-transfer-spending/

Go ahead and argue about why you disagree, but without the same level of research, stats and comparisons, you'll be doing nothing more than blowing hot air.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #65: Jul 23, 2015 02:24:16 pm
      'cause that's not bullshit is it :D. There are external issues that play a part too like being able to find a house, having your family settled with schools, possibly being separated from long time friends or family members etc.

I was actually just trying to find an old (really old) article that examined how footballers were treated by new clubs.
      Liverpool have been in the lead when it comes to helping players settle, providing help with housing, schools, restaurants, the whole lot, by using "companions" or "fixers" for players arriving from other clubs.

Some might say that moving within the prem means players don't need that kind of help, but consider the fact that united paid an incredible amount for a young player (Rooney) then basically left him to his own devices in a hotel, in a city he didn't know, and with teammates who all lived miles away.
      This was very common at one time, and may still be amongst certain clubs, but we recognised early that helping players with the mundane sh*t after they moved was very beneficial.

Consider again the amount paid for Rooney, and then the fact he was pretty much given a hotel key and told to get on with it.
      Would any other industry treat a new asset worth tens of millions that way?

I know we see footballers as pampered prima donna's, but the reality of moving to a new city or country can be daunting for many, regardless of how much they earn.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #66: Jul 23, 2015 02:35:39 pm

This is completely untrue.

Paul Tomkins wrote an excellent article, backed up by every kind of stat imaginable that shows just how completely wrong you are here.
      It turns out that only 26% of players lauded as "marquee" signings have had a major impact in their first season, and that includes players moving between Premiership clubs.
      Which means that 74% fall into the "mediocre" or "bad" first season.

This is not opinion, there are cold hard facts which prove this to be true.
      http://tomkinstimes.com/2014/11/a-decade-of-big-club-transfer-spending/

Go ahead and argue about why you disagree, but without the same level of research, stats and comparisons, you'll be doing nothing more than blowing hot air.

Yeah this stuff has been proven time and again. There's a good chunk about it in "Soccernomics" as well, which also uses numbers.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #67: Jul 23, 2015 02:56:16 pm
      I was actually just trying to find an old (really old) article that examined how footballers were treated by new clubs.
      Liverpool have been in the lead when it comes to helping players settle, providing help with housing, schools, restaurants, the whole lot, by using "companions" or "fixers" for players arriving from other clubs.

Some might say that moving within the prem means players don't need that kind of help, but consider the fact that united paid an incredible amount for a young player (Rooney) then basically left him to his own devices in a hotel, in a city he didn't know, and with teammates who all lived miles away.
      This was very common at one time, and may still be amongst certain clubs, but we recognised early that helping players with the mundane sh*t after they moved was very beneficial.

Consider again the amount paid for Rooney, and then the fact he was pretty much given a hotel key and told to get on with it.
      Would any other industry treat a new asset worth tens of millions that way?

I know we see footballers as pampered prima donna's, but the reality of moving to a new city or country can be daunting for many, regardless of how much they earn.

It's funny you should bring that up about companions and/or fixers for new players. I was on a random bike ride with my brother about a month ago and we started talking about players that move to new clubs and just get left to their own devices without any support but also those that get assistance from their new clubs to help them settle.

I was saying how if I was an owner I'd do my all to make sure players felt comfortable and happy in their new surroundings and would employ somebody to occasionally look over the players for a short time after their move in case they needed help with some of the issues that you mentioned (schools, restaurants, housing). I think it's something new players do/would greatly appreciate and would also help with any homesickness issues.

It's not until after being somewhere for a while that you become entirely comfortable and that could be the case for the likes of Moreno, Markovic and Lallana. Sometimes a player isn't good enough but this can only help.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #68: Jul 24, 2015 11:41:35 am

Sterling could f things up 10 times more but it wouldn't be in the danger area so that's one thing to consider.

Quick Reply