Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Malaysia XI 1:1 Liverpool Pre, in game & post match discussion.

Read 32670 times
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Re: Malaysia XI 1:1 Liverpool Pre, in game & post match discussion.
      Reply #230: Jul 25, 2015 09:09:06 am
      We look so much worse with Lovren. Skrtel and Sakho are first choice without a shadow of doubt IMO

It is a real worry that all our CB's are of poor , inconsistent quality. None can be trusted when under pressure. Add to that a weak goalkeeper and it spreads panic through the whole team.

Set piece's are always a worry and i am always convinced that the opposition always think they have an excellent chance of scoring .
      IMO.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #231: Jul 25, 2015 09:48:40 am
      Skrtel has always seemed to mimic the playing level hes playing with IMO. if he plays with a better CB he ups his game, if he is partnered with a donkey he also plays like one...

I was happy when we bought Dejan, but he has gone for me... be lucky to get a squad number if I were BR.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #232: Jul 25, 2015 11:11:24 am
      Good post Beerbelly.

I think the easiest way to decide who is at fault is to ask the question what would have happened if Lovren had just stuck with the player he was marking and left Skrtel to deal with the runner. It would still have been a goal, Skrtel would have been left for dead and there would be no question over who's fault it was.

It really is that simple. That said, we have been undone by a long ball up to front man with a bloke running off him, hardly total football. We've got two centre halves in there, one who we kid ourselves is one of the best in the league, the other who we paid 20 million quid for. This isn't a "coaching" issue or an organisational one, it's simple about defenders being switched on enough and actually wanting to defend properly.

As it's a completely meaningless pre season game, and as it was to be totally fair just about a world class finish (it really was, superb piece of play by the lad) it can probably be written off. Defend like that in the proper games though and we're dead. From somewhere somehow we have to find a combination of centre backs who can defend properly. I think it deservedly ought to certainly start off as Skrtel and Sakho, and here's hoping they do things much better than we did on that goal. As a further aside, we ought to check out the lad who scored it. If he does things like that on even a semi regular basis we've got players in our squad who we could readily swap him with.

Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #233: Jul 26, 2015 07:14:13 am
      Former CB Lawrensen seems to have Lovren pegged for the goal

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/mark-lawrenson-im-worried-liverpool-9725565?

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #234: Jul 26, 2015 09:27:51 am
      Unimpressed by what I saw in this game..... Poor showing by some players, again no real end product from Lallana, and Henderson in and around the box.I expect (Hope) that we will pick up pace,effort,sharpness and fitness levels by the start of the season (Stoke) if not....... the only excuse for this performance was maybe the travel, (Jet Lag) and the fact that we have not played our starting 11 together as yet....
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #235: Jul 26, 2015 04:53:31 pm
      What?

Sakho is not a thinking man shows that every time he plays.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #236: Jul 26, 2015 05:39:00 pm
      What?

Sakho is not a thinking man shows that every time he plays.

Not sure of your ability to think with that post.......

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #237: Jul 26, 2015 09:48:54 pm
      Not sure of your ability to think with that post.......

F**k off lid prove otherwise.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #238: Jul 26, 2015 10:14:03 pm

Sakho was a fine defender for us last year when he was fit. I'd be suprised if you can produce actual evidence to prove otherwise.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #239: Jul 26, 2015 10:24:15 pm

I don't need to really, your posts prove my point eloquently.
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #240: Jul 26, 2015 11:38:47 pm
      alliphone
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts | -32 
      Reply #241: Jul 27, 2015 02:31:39 am

Maybe he's hoping to be called "legend" by Rooney...
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #242: Jul 27, 2015 02:42:55 am
       ;D :mad: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #243: Jul 27, 2015 03:59:49 am
      lmao
      I heard about booing some guy in a Man u shirt, but it turns out the guy is actually pretty f'n awesome. He's got some cajones and free form dance moves.
      Particularly like the air trumpet or whatever it is.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #244: Jul 27, 2015 08:44:54 pm
      I don't need to really, your posts prove my point eloquently.

Thought as much there is no concrete evidence for you to prove otherwise.

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #245: Jul 27, 2015 08:54:44 pm

Sakho was a fine defender for us last year when he was fit. I'd be suprised if you can produce actual evidence to prove otherwise.

Don't disagree the key word there is "fine" not excellent, brilliant or worth the 17.5m we paid for not a lot less than Lovren is it.Point is neither have been worth anywhere near that and had Rodgers been 100% confident in Sakhos ability he would not have spent so much on Lovren and offered Skrtel a new deal just recently.

The very fact there is 2 pages dedicated to discussing a particular play or error in a friendly against Malaysia shows how desperate people are to make him a scapegoat for all our defensive shortcomings. Absolutely ridiculous.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #246: Jul 27, 2015 09:07:48 pm
      The club has tried to buy a combination of defenders that work, pumped a huge amount, more than some of the top clubs maybe (because they already had players who were solid)
      One conclusion I have to make is Skrtel shouldn't be part of that CB partnership because he's not a partnership type defender, he can't read the game... he makes brilliant last ditch tackles which are amazing but he may be the the root of all our problems in that area.
      He is after all the one constant factor over a considerable amount of years.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #247: Jul 27, 2015 09:09:44 pm
      One conclusion I have to make is Skrtel shouldn't be part of that CB partnership because he's not a partnership type defender, he can't read the game...

Where as Lovren can?
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #248: Jul 27, 2015 09:16:23 pm

Lovren has turned out to be a bad mistake, I personally don't know how to rectify that, the fee will never be recouped and it was a bad move. It's not as if I haven't seen huge fees spent on flops for other teams that finished above us in the last season.
      Would've hoped we could at least have someone who's come through the academy that can do a job or Ilori, wth happened to that world beater.
      Maybe that should be addressed while the window is open.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #249: Jul 27, 2015 09:24:10 pm
      Don't disagree the key word there is "fine" not excellent, brilliant or worth the 17.5m we paid for not a lot less than Lovren is it.Point is neither have been worth anywhere near that and had Rodgers been 100% confident in Sakhos ability he would not have spent so much on Lovren and offered Skrtel a new deal just recently.

The very fact there is 2 pages dedicated to discussing a particular play or error in a friendly against Malaysia shows how desperate people are to make him a scapegoat for all our defensive shortcomings. Absolutely ridiculous.

I use the word fine as a positive, meaning good or solid.

Lovren is worthless man...the only reason you wouldn't admit to that is if you really just like the player and that's fine, but his play has been atrocious.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #250: Jul 27, 2015 09:42:28 pm
      While I agree with all the opinions that Lovren has been really bad, I don't think it's as much his fault as it is that of the tactics and abilities of our management. The best CBs in the world don't rely on their own abilities as much as they rely on a decent holding midfielder in front of them breaking down the opposition and launching attacks from deep.

Schneiderlin made Lovren and Fonte look like world-beaters. Same with Matic, Busquets, Kroos, Pogba, William Carvalho, Lahm/Xabi, etc.

Tiago Ilori and Paulo Oliveira at CB were untouchable in the Euro U-21's for Portugal. When Ilori was on the field (against England, Italy, and Sweden [twice]) Portugal surrendered 0 goals and looked like they were never in danger. It wasn't because they're incredible CBs, it was because they were constantly shielded by one, or both, of Sergio Oliveira and William Carvalho.

That is what our management should be addressing before any other moves this summer. If Lucas isn't good enough to Brendan then so be it, but to go into the season with Allen and Lucas as our only holding midfielder options is pathetic and teams will continue to easily exploit our defense with no coverage there.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #251: Jul 27, 2015 09:50:29 pm
      While I agree with all the opinions that Lovren has been really bad, I don't think it's as much his fault as it is that of the tactics and abilities of our management. The best CBs in the world don't rely on their own abilities as much as they rely on a decent holding midfielder in front of them breaking down the opposition and launching attacks from deep.

Schneiderlin made Lovren and Fonte look like world-beaters. Same with Matic, Busquets, Kroos, Pogba, William Carvalho, Lahm/Xabi, etc.

Tiago Ilori and Paulo Oliveira at CB were untouchable in the Euro U-21's for Portugal. When Ilori was on the field (against England, Italy, and Sweden [twice]) Portugal surrendered 0 goals and looked like they were never in danger. It wasn't because they're incredible CBs, it was because they were constantly shielded by one, or both, of Sergio Oliveira and William Carvalho.

That is what our management should be addressing before any other moves this summer. If Lucas isn't good enough to Brendan then so be it, but to go into the season with Allen and Lucas as our only holding midfielder options is pathetic and teams will continue to easily exploit our defense with no coverage there.

I'm being lazy here but who are Chelsea's holding midfield players?
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #252: Jul 27, 2015 09:56:15 pm
      I'm being lazy here but who are Chelsea's holding midfield players?

Matic. Probably the best in the PL last season in that role and realistically was the saving grace for Cahill and Terry on many many occasions.

Obi Mikel was his backup as a purely defensive midfielder.

Quick Reply