Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 7th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P4 W3 D0 L1

Christian Benteke Player Thread (Liverpool -> Crystal Palace)

Read 166899 times
      LFCexiled
      Re: Christian Benteke Player Thread
      Reply #161: Jul 23, 2015 09:00:39 pm
      Coutinho, Firmino & Lallana all running around Benteke makes my mouth water.

Just F***ing start already season will ya.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #162: Jul 23, 2015 09:22:37 pm
      How Liverpool FC Could Line Up In 2015/16; Top 4 Contenders?

Liverpool FC have been extremely ruthless in the transfer market so far. The Reds have made six early signings to ensure that a key mistake of last season is avoided. This time, the new faces have got the pre-season to work together and ensure they build a chemistry and do really well in the upcoming campagin. James Milner, Danny Ings, Adam Bogdan, Roberto Firmino, Joe Gomez and Nathaniel Clyne have all been roped in while Christian Benteke looks like an imminent arrival. Raheem Sterling has been sold for a whopping 49 mp and it remains to be seen whether Brendan Rodgers will bring in a direct replacement for the Englishman or the likes of Jordon Ibe, Adam Lallana, Lazar Markovic will be considered enough to avoid more money being spent in this window.

Brendan Rodgers needs his team to work this year. A failure to qualify for Champions League this season will most definitely mean he is axed from the club as FSG will definitely not give the Northern Irishman a third chance. He just cannot manage to colloquially put, screw things up. The fact that James Milner, Danny Ings, Nathaniel Clyne and the potentially big signing of Christian Benteke, does however, mean that the Americans have decided to back the manager completely for the time-being.

Defence

Liverpool have had the leakiest defence and it has been a huge problem in the seasons Brendan Rodgers has been in charge. All the changes in Liverpool’s backroom staff indicate that the focus remains on the attack and if the team can manage to outscore the opposition, fair enough. But if not, will the Liverpool defence be able to help its attack? Simon Mignolet will keep his spot as the number one keeper at the club after the amazing turnaround in form he pulled off last season. Adam Bogdan has been brought in to be the club’s number two. How the Liverpool backline will look depends on whether Rodgers will play four at the back or five at the back. The former seems likely so we can expect to see new signing Nathaniel Clyne, Martin Skrtel, Mamadou Sakho and Alberto Moreno. Joe Gomez has been particularly impressive so far in the pre-season and Liverpool seem to have a good talent in their hands. Gomez can play centrally as well as in either full-back positions, therefore the Reds have also got a good cover in their ranks. Tiago Ilori impressed in the U-21 Euros and could cover Martin Skrtel’s RCB spot. He is arguably a player that should be getting more first-team role this season but it remains to be seen whether he actually will. Dejan Lovren will be looking to redeem himself this season after his disappointing first campaign, but Mamadou Sakho should be keeping his spot in the starting line-up for Liverpool to do well. Kolo Toure signed a contract extension but the player wouldn’t be part of the starting line-up but could be a key squad player, especially because of his vast experience.

The question is that will the defence be good enough to ensure this season is different from the last?

Midfield

The Reds have James Milner, Jordan Henderson, Joe Allen, Lucas Leiva and Emre Can who will be fighting for a spot in the midfield. It has been quite difficult trying to figure out what Brendan Rodgers will want his midfield to look like. What role will Emre Can play? The German is going to be used in the midfield and even though he came to England with a reputation of being a defensive midfielder, people who have observed his game have considered him to be more of a box-to-box player due to his weak positioning sense and tendency to move forward. Brendan Rodgers has not given much emphasis to the defensive midfielder position, shockingly to say the least and a proper holding midfielder will only be brought in if Lucas Leiva is sold. Therefore we can expect Emre Can to play the deep lying playmaker role with captain Jordan Henderson and James Milner on either side, slightly ahead. That is the perhaps the most likely way Brendan Rodgers is going to use the personnel at his disposal.

Attack

Liverpool lost a key player in Raheem Sterling but also added a world-class talent in Roberto Firmino. The club already has Philippe Coutinho, Adam Lallana, Lazar Markovic and Jordon Ibe. In the striking department, Liverpool have forgotten man Daniel Sturridge, new singing Danny Ings and like-a-new-signing Divock Origi. The club is likely to add Christian Benteke and let go of Mario Balotelli, Rickie Lambert and Fabio Borini. Philippe Coutinho is the player who is definitely guaranteed a first-team spot. Roberto Firmino should be starting eventually but it depends on how soon he fits in. Benteke will be brought in as a first option so he will definitely be starting. Whether he will be partnered up front with one of Ings or Origi (till Sturridge returns) remains a question. Rodgers could even play Ings from the wing the way he has in the pre-season game against Brisbane Roar

With the additions this summer and last season’s late bloomers, Liverpool have a threatening looking attack. If it can click, it certainly has enough to compete for a spot in the top 4.

How could Liverpool line-up?

These are the various formations in which Brendan Rodgers could set out his team, especially at the beginning. Daniel Sturridge’s injury  and Christian Benteke’s imminent arrival has been kept in mind.

Scenario 1 (4-2-3-1)

Liverpool play the familiar four at the back. In the midfield, we see two of Emre Can, Jordan Henderson and James Milner. Up ahead, we have Philippe Coutinho play the number ten role with Roberto Firmino on one side and one of Adam Lallana, Lazar Markovic or Jordon Ibe on the other side (expectedly Lallana, even though Ibe has proved his efficiency on the wings and needs game time to develop into a world-class playing he is showing signs of becoming). Up-front Christian Benteke takes the striker charge. Once Daniel Sturridge is back, even he could line-up in the winder role with Benteke operating centrally. In this scenario, the advantage is that the attacking trio behind Benteke can create a lot for the Belgian to feed off. The wingers and the two full backs can feed in crosses for Benteke, who can go ahead and do his job then. The disadvantage with this formation is the weak midfield. Why this formation works for Chelsea is because they have a world class defence shielded by a world class Nemanja Matic. Liverpool don’t have that option.

Scenario 2 (4-3-3)

The same four at the back but the midfield comprises three. Emre Can could play the deeper role with Henderson and Milner slightly ahead. But in that case, Coutinho would be reduced on the wings and the player is just not effective from the flanks. It could thus be only one of Henderson or Milner player or one one Milner or Henderson playing the deeper role and the other ahead with Coutinho on his other side. This has worked for Liverpool in the past and could, once again. Benteke or a striker plays at the tip of the formation with two of Roberto Firmino, Danny Ings, Lazar Markovic, Adam Lallana and Jordon Ibe playing on the wings.

Scenario 3 (4-4-2)

The same four at the back with Emre Can in the holding role. Either Henderson and Milner line-up side by side or one of the two is partnered by Coutinho. Roberto Firmino plays the number 10 role and two strikers play up-front. This could be a formation Rodgers wants to try once Sturridge is back. Firmino can of course, play the second striker role too, and Rodgers might want to play him and Benteke there initially with Coutinho at the tip of the diamond. That way the midfield still comprises three.

Scenario 4 (3-4-2-1)

The formation that got Liverpool a much needed revival in form around the turn of the year. Martin Skrtel and Mamadou Sakho could be partnered with one of the central defenders. The best choice from the lot seems Tiago Ilori who would operate on the right side, Skrtel in the middle and Sakho on the left. As wing-backs we would see Nathaniel Clyne on the right and Alberto Moreno or one of the wingers on the left. In the midfield, it would be Jordan Henderson and James Milner. Up ahead as number 10s, Roberto Firmino and Philippe Coutinho will both get to play their favorable roles. Rodgers would no more need Raheem Sterling to play the false nine role and could use any striker at his disposal. Benteke naturally more likely given Liverpool are breaking the bank for him.

http://www.thehardtackle.com/2015/how-liverpool-fc-could-line-up-in-201516-top-4-contenders/
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #163: Jul 23, 2015 10:25:13 pm
      haha that explains why it was such an odd post. I never can get my head around sarcasm when it's wrote down.
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #164: Jul 23, 2015 10:36:22 pm
      Welcome! YNWA
      Flying Squirrel 39
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts | 23 
      Reply #165: Jul 24, 2015 05:35:21 am
      We have literally signed a faster,darker Rickie Lambert.That is still not fast enough.I love Rickie and Liverpool f*cked him and his later career over by proving for a second time that we can´t play for a 9.Aaaaand we sign Benteke.Granted,he´s better than Carrol,and has more to his game,but the amount of goals from headers worries me and forces the connection.And while he has some excelent clinical finishes the fact remains that he has been a lone striker.And why the hell would we of all clubs buy another lone striker?Unless Brendan has a very specific plan up his sleeve I really don´t understand this.Add to that the fact that we,again,and this is getting so embarrasing,have been held up,for 32.5M by Aston Villa...I seriously do not understand.

Having said all that,I want the lad to do well.I want him to prove me wrong.Make me eat my words.But I don´t think that´s the point. If he works for us because we change our style of play to suit a 9,well I think that would be a detriment to the club´s playing style.And if he works because somehow he fits our current setup,great,but how irresponsible of a gamble is that?If it pays off no one will care,but I still find it worrying that the club has the balls (don´t want to say stupidity) to sign another lone striker,for that amount of money,after what we´ve seen.

Anyways,seems like a nice guy.I wish him luck and again,hope he proves me wrong.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #166: Jul 24, 2015 05:47:39 am
      We have literally signed a faster, darker Rickie Lambert.

um.

well, yes, that is true.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,900 posts | 6827 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #167: Jul 24, 2015 10:25:57 am
      That's 5 or 6 goals not being scored against us this season. He always had a knack of scoring against us.

Welcome to The Greatest Football Club on the Planet, Christian. Now tear up the League for us and bang in them goals.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #168: Jul 24, 2015 11:46:02 am
      We have literally signed a faster,darker Rickie Lambert.That is still not fast enough.I love Rickie and Liverpool f*cked him and his later career over by proving for a second time that we can´t play for a 9.Aaaaand we sign Benteke.Granted,he´s better than Carrol,and has more to his game,but the amount of goals from headers worries me and forces the connection.And while he has some excelent clinical finishes the fact remains that he has been a lone striker.And why the hell would we of all clubs buy another lone striker?Unless Brendan has a very specific plan up his sleeve I really don´t understand this.Add to that the fact that we,again,and this is getting so embarrasing,have been held up,for 32.5M by Aston Villa...I seriously do not understand.

Having said all that,I want the lad to do well.I want him to prove me wrong.Make me eat my words.But I don´t think that´s the point. If he works for us because we change our style of play to suit a 9,well I think that would be a detriment to the club´s playing style.And if he works because somehow he fits our current setup,great,but how irresponsible of a gamble is that?If it pays off no one will care,but I still find it worrying that the club has the balls (don´t want to say stupidity) to sign another lone striker,for that amount of money,after what we´ve seen.

Anyways,seems like a nice guy.I wish him luck and again,hope he proves me wrong.

... A faster, darker Rickie Lambert....

Wow.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,433 posts | 6423 
      Reply #169: Jul 24, 2015 11:59:25 am
      ... A faster, darker Rickie Lambert....

Wow.

It literally boggles the mind.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #170: Jul 24, 2015 05:37:25 pm
      It literally boggles the mind.

Utterly incredible. By that reckoning WBA are about to sign a slower, paler, slightly fatter Christian Benteke. For 3 million quid that ain't a bad deal.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #171: Jul 24, 2015 05:48:44 pm
      We have literally signed a faster,darker Rickie Lambert.

Um.... by darker, do you mean Benteke is better in using the dark arts of football to gain advantage? :)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,433 posts | 6423 
      Reply #172: Jul 24, 2015 06:54:25 pm
      So the boss says we aren't changing our style of play for Benteke....but I suppose since he's a shill for the club you can't believe a word he says ;D

“I’ve heard and seen stuff that he won’t fit the style we play but I think he will complement it and help us,” Rodgers said.

“He is a big guy but he has got the attributes that I like in terms of pace and movement and he gets all type of goals.

READ MORE: Malaysia XI 1-1 Liverpool FC final whistle report: Ibe rescues lacklustre Reds

“He is great in the air, strong, can hold the game up and can play on the counter attack. And he can play when the team is deep because he can hold the ball up with his physical strength.

“He is a boy that is still improving his game so I don’t think there is any doubt he will fit our tactical idea of the game. He can be a huge player for us.”
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #173: Jul 24, 2015 08:00:31 pm
      So the boss says we aren't changing our style of play for Benteke....but I suppose since he's a shill for the club you can't believe a word he says ;D

Interesting to hear his thoughts on Benteke and a response to all the speculation about the big striker fitting in with the club's style of play. I really hope we throw in a few kinks to take advantage of some of his strengths and I'm sure we will.

What I would love to see is Benteke emulating the way Drogba used to play the game, I know he was diving cheat but that aside, he was big, strong, very mobile, always on the move, able to play on the shoulder as often as he played with his back to goal. The Belgium will have to get a LOT busier for it to happen but I'm hoping that this is what Brendan has in mind.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #174: Jul 24, 2015 11:07:48 pm
      What's all this comparing. Benteke is Benteke and nobody else. He's one of the best strikers in the league.

Benteke
      Firmino             Coutinho

That 3 will be as good as any in the league! Benteke will be great but not better than what Barcelona or Madrid already have,  that way we may get to keep a good striker for once.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #175: Jul 25, 2015 12:47:01 am

Except for the bit where Benteke doesn't fall over the football like a useless, hungover, sack of sh*t.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #176: Jul 25, 2015 12:51:40 am
      So the boss says we aren't changing our style of play for Benteke

Not too sure what our style is. Last season it was a case of looking lost and hoping for the best, which incidentally didn't work out too well so hopefully BR is on about a different style of play. Perhaps when he plays as us on Fifa 15?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #177: Jul 25, 2015 12:54:47 am
      Not too sure what our style is. Last season it was a case of looking lost and hoping for the best, which incidentally didn't work out too well so hopefully BR is on about a different style of play. Perhaps when he plays as us on Fifa 15?

Our style has gone from Possession Football to Counter Attacking football to Pressing.
      Makes F**k all difference in the context of Benteke.
      HOW?
      Because the manager has shown he will chose to change things to suit.

I'd expect some mix of Counter and Pressing next season.
      I know it's been 4-3-3 but would love 4-1-2-1-2 when Sturridge is fit.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #178: Jul 25, 2015 12:57:56 am
      would love 4-1-2-1-2 when Sturridge is fit.

Will be interesting to see how he works alongside Sturridge. Hopefully to the same impact as SAS.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #179: Jul 25, 2015 01:04:18 am
      Will be interesting to see how he works alongside Sturridge. Hopefully to the same impact as SAS.

Oh yeah!
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 166 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #180: Jul 25, 2015 01:47:52 am

No, better than SAS. ;D Show the POUND face we are better! YNWA   :kop5cf8koxp6:
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #181: Jul 25, 2015 06:00:22 am
      we all saw Benteke move like a sack of potatoes over 90 minutes in the FA Cup final, yet some of you are drooling over a three second video from 2 years ago, BEFORE he got injured.

talk about clutching at straws.  "Yes I know he's not very good anymore and can barely move but look at what he did two years ago in this three second long video...."
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #182: Jul 25, 2015 07:51:40 am
      we all saw Benteke move like a sack of potatoes over 90 minutes in the FA Cup final, yet some of you are drooling over a three second video from 2 years ago, BEFORE he got injured.

talk about clutching at straws.  "Yes I know he's not very good anymore and can barely move but look at what he did two years ago in this three second long video...."

He's not very good anymore? The guy scored 12 goals in 12 games at the end of last season. Putting aside yours and some peoples fixation with his apparent lack of movement, that doesn't exactly tell you he's "not very good anymore" does it?
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #183: Jul 25, 2015 08:49:33 am
      He's not very good anymore? The guy scored 12 goals in 12 games at the end of last season. Putting aside yours and some peoples fixation with his apparent lack of movement, that doesn't exactly tell you he's "not very good anymore" does it?

I don't know.  Last season Pelle and Giroud both scored 12.  Nacer Chadli, Mame Diouf and Sadio Mane all scored 11.

they're all pretty sh*te.

Quick Reply