Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Christian Benteke Player Thread (Liverpool -> Crystal Palace)

Read 164097 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Christian Benteke Player Thread
      Reply #322: Aug 19, 2015 06:02:42 pm
      Coutinho was a mile off and Lovren would have missed! :laugh:

Not disputing that, especially the Lovren part, but they still reacted to the cross though.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #323: Aug 19, 2015 10:01:48 pm
      Where is Hammanstheman now? Would love to hear his take on Benteke's start and how he's too immobile for us  :lmao:

To be fair mate I gave him a plus one in the post match thread for saying Benteke was the standout player on the pitch.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,336 posts | 6386 
      Reply #324: Aug 19, 2015 10:23:27 pm
      To be fair mate I gave him a plus one in the post match thread for saying Benteke was the standout player on the pitch.

Hey can I get a "+" for saying the sky is blue ;D
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #325: Aug 19, 2015 11:00:17 pm
      Hey can I get a "+" for saying the sky is blue ;D

No because it's actually clear so your lucky you don't get a "-"      :D

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #326: Aug 19, 2015 11:18:27 pm
      18 headers won in 2 games, so like Can, he is leading the charts.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #327: Aug 26, 2015 10:37:13 am
      Just watched the game again - great performance and he continues to develop a partnership with Couts.

You could see the Arsenal back line were shitting themselves every time our players looked to find him.

Exciting times ahead for the lad - let's not forget he has played virtually no football with his team-mates in preseason. Even on the current evidence Sturridge does not walk back into the team.

Where's Federer by the way? He has gone awfully quiet since he said Benteke needed dropping to avoid "settling for mediocrity". Perhaps he's packing his. Balotelli flag away in the attic  :lmao:
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #328: Aug 31, 2015 05:52:47 pm
      Apparently injured and out of the Belgium squad................WTF
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,336 posts | 6386 
      Reply #329: Aug 31, 2015 05:57:27 pm

Hopefully Brendan told him to fake an injury so that he could come back to us perfectly fit. Otherwise, I just don't have the words.
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #330: Sep 01, 2015 09:51:30 am

He's not out of the squad, but doubtful for the game on Thursday against Bosnia. Nothing yet on the game on Sunday against Israel.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #331: Sep 01, 2015 11:41:41 am
      Not overly convinced by Benteke if truth be told, he's a good player in his own right, just feel that my initial concerns about signing him haven't been eradicated, but that may take some time whilst he adapts to us and players adapt to him, he's got the benefit of time to allay my fears, but can't help but feel he needs another Striker working in tandem with him to take some of the burden off him and allow him to play his natural game.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #332: Sep 01, 2015 12:15:02 pm
      Not overly convinced by Benteke if truth be told, he's a good player in his own right, just feel that my initial concerns about signing him haven't been eradicated

I'm actually more convinced by him as a footballer than I ever was before we signed him but I still have a fear that we have bought him without a plan of how to get the best out of him along with our other best attacking players.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #333: Sep 01, 2015 12:29:07 pm
      I'm actually more convinced by him as a footballer than I ever was before we signed him but I still have a fear that we have bought him without a plan of how to get the best out of him along with our other best attacking players.

Its not that I think he's bad player mate, just I think he maybe the wrong kind of player, I'm hoping he proves me wrong, it was never about his talent for me as he is a talented footballer, it was about being able to play the system/philosophy that Rodgers seems to favour.

Take as an example we have the least crosses in the league, even corners we have a tendency to play them short, now I'm not saying Benteke is a target man, because there is much more to his game, I'm just not sure the intricate passing and working openings is a part of his game that he thrives on.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #334: Sep 01, 2015 02:05:29 pm
      Bentek needs another striker alongside him, he's been working his balls off. Sturridge needs to get back or wow we seem to have two other strikers who I keep forgetting about because they don't get in the first 11, our tactics have been Everton and Wimbledon bad with the hoofing it at the guy at any old angle, what's he supposed to do with that service? F**k all most strikers could do with that sh*t.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #335: Sep 01, 2015 03:49:48 pm
      I echo whats already been said below he needs support we should go for broke change the formation so that we play with 2 strikers not a CAM supporting but a striker so Origi or Ings in support otherwise he will burn out and get more injuries. Its time for BR to prove he can manage a top side and manage players and formations better. So far we've been ok but not top 4 standard
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #336: Sep 02, 2015 01:35:30 am

Exactly the same here mate.

His ability on the ball has impressed me and he grafts so hard for the side but again, the tactics are setting him up to be a failure.

Very good striker. In a sh*t side.

Almost not bothered he's injured. Not like we use our strikers anyway.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #337: Sep 02, 2015 02:06:20 am
      Was sceptical when we signed him however his ability on the ball has really impressed me he is far from a battering ram that lives of long balls and crosses in to the area.

Think we could be onto something when we partner him with Sturridge.
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #338: Sep 04, 2015 08:25:30 am
      He's better than people give him credit for. He's a big, strong lad, but he has decent pace and good feet as well. Hope he get's fit for the Manu game. If Benteke would be injured for a few weeks, we might be eager to rush Sturridge back and we wouldn't want that.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #339: Sep 12, 2015 11:37:16 pm
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,708 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #340: Sep 13, 2015 08:35:52 am
      Wow what a goal. He was isolated, he needs Ings or Sturridge to play with him as a striker not around him.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #341: Sep 13, 2015 08:52:54 am
      A cracking goal that. Pearler.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #342: Sep 13, 2015 10:54:25 am
      He's shown me enough that he is technically a really good player and not just a lump

So to hit diagonals from each cb at him with no other Liverpool player within 40 yards is a frank waste of time

Tactics of a side who don't want to nor think they can dominate the opposition and not Benteke's fault he isn't getting into games as much as we want
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #343: Sep 13, 2015 11:13:50 am
      He's shown me enough that he is technically a really good player and not just a lump

So to hit diagonals from each cb at him with no other Liverpool player within 40 yards is a frank waste of time

Tactics of a side who don't want to nor think they can dominate the opposition and not Benteke's fault he isn't getting into games as much as we want

Yep.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #344: Sep 13, 2015 11:15:08 am
      He can score in a team that has zero tactical nous. Something Balotelli couldn't do.

Benteke is the real deal.

Quick Reply