Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Christian Benteke Player Thread (Liverpool -> Crystal Palace)

Read 163864 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Christian Benteke Player Thread
      Reply #46: Jul 22, 2015 10:07:14 pm
      Ink isn't even dry on the contract and you're having a go.

Bet you are a barrel of laughs at work.

Could you imagine this guy and Corbally volunteering at a suicide prevention hotline?
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #47: Jul 22, 2015 10:07:31 pm
      How about saving the criticisms until Benteke actually starts playing for us.

That makes no sense.  We've been watching him years but all of a sudden we're just supposed to pretend he's not been sh*te?  like those years of being mediocre at Villa just.... didn't happen?

what's even more worrying is that apparently he's on £140K a week.  dear god.

that means we're going to have another Borini type scenario if this doesn't work out.  We'll want to get rid but no one is going to pay his ridiculous wages.

If FSG still wants to run the club prudently, they're doing a damn good job of hiding it.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #48: Jul 22, 2015 10:09:25 pm

that's because the reality of the situation doesn't change just because he wrote his name on a piece of paper.  Go look back at his transfer thread and all the reasons people were giving for why he shouldn't come here. 

Are all those reasons irrelevant now?  of course not!  they're just as relevant as they were before he signed. 

but okay, you go and stick your head in the sand if you'd like.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #49: Jul 22, 2015 10:09:41 pm
      That makes no sense.  We've been watching him years but all of a sudden we're just supposed to pretend he's not been sh*te?  like those years of being mediocre at Villa just.... didn't happen?

that means we're going to have another Borini type scenario if this doesn't work out.  We'll want to get rid but no one is going to pay his ridiculous wages.

If FSG still wants to run the club prudently, they're doing a damn good job of hiding it.

Writing a player completely off before he has even kicked a ball in training for us. Do you ever give it a rest?
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #50: Jul 22, 2015 10:10:15 pm
      Writing a player completely off before he has even kicked a ball in training for us. Do you ever give it a rest?

"if" this doesn't work out, I said.  "if." 

trying read the post before you comment on it.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #51: Jul 22, 2015 10:12:43 pm
      trying read the post before you comment on it.

Try learning basic English before you click 'Post'...

Don't give me that "If" rubbish either, your posts about him signing have been nothing but completely negative.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #52: Jul 22, 2015 10:14:02 pm

sh*te? Mediocre? What the F**k are you talking about? He has a 1 in 2 goal to game record in the PL over the last three seasons.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #53: Jul 22, 2015 10:14:51 pm
      Best of luck lad. Lot of pressure on those broad shoulders and that's just from this forum!!

Expect great things myself and nobody will put me off this signing
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #54: Jul 22, 2015 10:14:56 pm
      I have my doubts as well fed but give it a chance and see how it pans out , at the end of the day we can't see the future unfortunately .

Think a lot of people in same boat. Don't expect everyone to don a miniskirt and pom-poms to cheerlead every flippin signing, we still have our faculties. It IS possible to express a concern AND still want the lad to bang in 20 a season .. and Christ I REALLY hope he does.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #55: Jul 22, 2015 10:19:38 pm
      that's because the reality of the situation doesn't change just because he wrote his name on a piece of paper.  Go look back at his transfer thread and all the reasons people were giving for why he shouldn't come here. 

Are all those reasons irrelevant now?  of course not!  they're just as relevant as they were before he signed. 

but okay, you go and stick your head in the sand if you'd like.
      There's nobody sticking their head in the sand , the deal is done get over it and move on . You or me moaning over it won't change a thing . He'll either click or not .

Scottbot

• 9,597 posts | 2156 
      Reply #56: Jul 22, 2015 10:23:03 pm
      26 league goals in his first season and the golden boot, that's my prediction.

Aye Mick and you also said Lovren was gonna be future Captain just as assertively!  And that the majority of last summers signings were gonna come good by season end! I hope your bang on the money with this one though coz we desperately need him to do the business.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #57: Jul 22, 2015 10:24:54 pm
      There's nobody sticking their head in the sand , the deal is done get over it and move on . You or me moaning over it won't change a thing . He'll either click or not .

yup.  This is about as well put as can be said.

nothing we can do about it, good or bad.  He'll either be successful or not. 

But everything in his Villa career thus far suggests that he's a square peg in a round hole for us.  And that's not just my opinion, go read his transfer thread to see how the majority thought that.

too late to do anything about it now. 

I'm just worried about what's going to happen if this doesn't work out.  We owe Villa £32m over the next few years.  FSG aren't just going to write a cheque for another expensive striker if Benteke is a dud.

I don't see why people don't get how this is a massive risk that could absolutely do us in for years to come if it doesn't work out.

but, as you said, nothing we say really matters. 
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #58: Jul 22, 2015 10:25:13 pm
      Aye Mick and you also said Lovren was gonna be future Captain just as assertively!  And that the majority of last summers signings were gonna come good by season end!

;D
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #59: Jul 22, 2015 10:31:29 pm
      Think a lot of people in same boat. Don't expect everyone to don a miniskirt and pom-poms to cheerlead every flippin signing, we still have our faculties. It IS possible to express a concern AND still want the lad to bang in 20 a season .. and Christ I REALLY hope he does.
      That's right mate a bit of educated criticism never goes astray . I've criticised the move recently i can't deny it , but right now he's no longer a target , he's a Liverpool player who hasn't kicked a ball for us yet . He needs 100% backing and patience from us .

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #60: Jul 22, 2015 10:33:24 pm

But everything in his Villa career thus far suggests that he's a square peg in a round hole for us.  And that's not just my opinion, go read his transfer thread to see how the majority thought that.

I'm just worried about what's going to happen if this doesn't work out.  We owe Villa £32m over the next few years.  FSG aren't just going to write a cheque for another expensive striker if Benteke is a dud.

I don't see why people don't get how this is a massive risk that could absolutely do us in for years to come if it doesn't work out.

Well that's all entirely speculative isn't it?

How do you know FSG won't spend big again for a striker if this doesn't work out?

Our net spend by the end of this window could be close to zero if we offload the dead wood.

Why would FSG not spend big again after spending big on Carroll, Suarez and now Benteke. That makes zero sense. Some players work out some some don't it's the nature of football.

FSG will just as likely spend big on a striker again in the future irrespective of how successful Benteke is here.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #61: Jul 22, 2015 10:33:41 pm

Bet you are a barrel of laughs at work.

Can you imagine how miserable this guy is out and about? Federer, you're the most negative person I've ever known.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #62: Jul 22, 2015 10:33:53 pm
      He needs 100% backing and patience from us .

do you think saying "welcome Christian" on a forum is "backing" him?

he doesn't even know we exist.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,665 posts | 883 
      Reply #63: Jul 22, 2015 10:34:07 pm
      welcome to the club. give your all and you will have our support, nomatter what.

ynwa
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,665 posts | 883 
      Reply #64: Jul 22, 2015 10:35:15 pm
      any chance for a link for his first interview video?
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #65: Jul 22, 2015 10:35:29 pm
      Can you imagine how miserable this guy is out and about? Federer, you're the most negative person I've ever known.

I'm a lot of fun actually.   ;D

I'm just tired of us being mediocre.

I'm trying to get to the Watford and West Ham games in December/January.  if you go to either of them I'll take you out for a pint afterwards.    xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #66: Jul 22, 2015 10:35:41 pm
      do you think saying "welcome Christian" on a forum is "backing" him?

he doesn't even know we exist.

Lucky him.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,232 posts | 6359 
      Reply #67: Jul 22, 2015 10:36:28 pm

Fed, instead of focusing on the worry of what's going to happen if this doesn't work, why not focus on the hope in your heart (that is if you have a heart and if you have any hope in it)?

That's a pretty good line...hope in your heart....that would sound pretty good in a song. :D BRB
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,232 posts | 6359 
      Reply #68: Jul 22, 2015 10:37:02 pm

Quick Reply