Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Christian Benteke Player Thread (Liverpool -> Crystal Palace)

Read 168586 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Christian Benteke Player Thread
      Reply #1150: Jan 21, 2016 07:27:13 pm
      I actually thought the way we went about it visa-vis Benteke last night was encouraging. The player himself didn't play great, but at least we looked like as a team we had a plan on how to use him. He ought to have scored with the header and the one on one, and then having made the decisive contribution to set up two goals he would have been said to have had a blinder.

Unfortunately of course he didn't, but he did demonstrate in and around the box that he is a good footballer, albeit one who is currently criminally short on confidence as far as finishing goes. Hopefully he and we can build on that, no doubt he'll be (correctly) on the bench on Saturday, but at least if he comes on we might have a plan a little more sophisticated than putting Steven Caulker up with him.

On his positioning when crosses are coming in, I actually do feel it's probably something he and the coaching team have talked about but it's getting lost in translation somewhere. He certainly never used to track outwards and away from the goal when the ball was being crossed from the bi-line when he was at Villa, and although I'm sure that Jürgen doesn't want him to do that at Liverpool either, there probably HAS been some talk about alternative positions he could and should take up, just not those ones!

If I was coaching him I'd be looking to encourage him to be a bit more rotational in his movement. If Milner gets it wide left and it looks like he maybe about to lay it back to Smith, I'd be encouraging Benteke to get on his bike and almost turn his back on the play, running a loop which takes him out past the penalty spot and beyond the far post before doubling back and arriving at a clatter. It's not an easy skill, but looking over your right shoulder while you run the loop is a million times easier for the attacker than it is the defender. These little trigger movements would be good for him and his confidence, AND for the guy putting the ball in. It makes a whole lot of difference if you are trying to hit a space rather than a forehead, much bigger margin for error.

Anyway like I say despite a couple of comedy moments I thought we handled the Benteke conundrum much better last night. As for the confidence thing, how long did it take old Peter Crouch to get his first goal for us? I said to a fella in the pub last night I think it was 17 matches but I might be wrong. I remember his first, a huge deflection which prompted delirious celebrations from everyone, not only was Crouchie a good player but is by all accounts a great lad as well. Benteke isn't quite in Crouch land yet, but I bet he'd take ending up being as good a player as Crouchie was for us right now any day.       

His movement patterns are so unsophisticated and predictable that anyone with half a brain could mark against him. He virtually does their job for them, his instinct is to get behind the defender in relation to the ball, the more he continues to do that the more it is obvious the lad hasn't got a clue what he's doing.

As you say a loop and then cut to the front post would definitely work occasionally, or a dart forward and stop, but his drops offs with arms outstretched are irritating too. Saw him last night pointing for the pass, arm outstretched while stood next to a defender, i mean come on, why not write the defender a nice note before the game where you're going to run.

Then when it does land on his head 5 yards out he misses.

Then when he is through 1v1 he runs it out of play.

Even earlier in the match he got a peach of a pass off Flanno i think it was, put him clear of the backline and he simply didn't have the strength to stay in front, a skill you'd think would come absolutely natural to him.

As for needing coaching or things being told to him, just excuses for poor play.

The number of times he's stood in the box stationary watching play is quite simply not good enough. If he needs all this explaining to him and still continues to produce the movement he is then the time coaching is spent better on those that have the propensity to learn.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1151: Jan 21, 2016 07:32:54 pm
      I actually thought the way we went about it visa-vis Benteke last night was encouraging. The player himself didn't play great, but at least we looked like as a team we had a plan on how to use him. He ought to have scored with the header and the one on one, and then having made the decisive contribution to set up two goals he would have been said to have had a blinder.

Unfortunately of course he didn't, but he did demonstrate in and around the box that he is a good footballer, albeit one who is currently criminally short on confidence as far as finishing goes. Hopefully he and we can build on that, no doubt he'll be (correctly) on the bench on Saturday, but at least if he comes on we might have a plan a little more sophisticated than putting Steven Caulker up with him.

On his positioning when crosses are coming in, I actually do feel it's probably something he and the coaching team have talked about but it's getting lost in translation somewhere. He certainly never used to track outwards and away from the goal when the ball was being crossed from the bi-line when he was at Villa, and although I'm sure that Jürgen doesn't want him to do that at Liverpool either, there probably HAS been some talk about alternative positions he could and should take up, just not those ones!

If I was coaching him I'd be looking to encourage him to be a bit more rotational in his movement. If Milner gets it wide left and it looks like he maybe about to lay it back to Smith, I'd be encouraging Benteke to get on his bike and almost turn his back on the play, running a loop which takes him out past the penalty spot and beyond the far post before doubling back and arriving at a clatter. It's not an easy skill, but looking over your right shoulder while you run the loop is a million times easier for the attacker than it is the defender. These little trigger movements would be good for him and his confidence, AND for the guy putting the ball in. It makes a whole lot of difference if you are trying to hit a space rather than a forehead, much bigger margin for error.

Anyway like I say despite a couple of comedy moments I thought we handled the Benteke conundrum much better last night. As for the confidence thing, how long did it take old Peter Crouch to get his first goal for us? I said to a fella in the pub last night I think it was 17 matches but I might be wrong. I remember his first, a huge deflection which prompted delirious celebrations from everyone, not only was Crouchie a good player but is by all accounts a great lad as well. Benteke isn't quite in Crouch land yet, but I bet he'd take ending up being as good a player as Crouchie was for us right now any day.       

The annoying thing is, we're trying to use him properly but he isn't taking any notice. At times last night he made some good passes with his back to goal and held the ball up quite well but he refused to get into the right positions in the box. It's pointless us trying to play to his strengths if he's not going to help the team out by obliging. I genuinely wouldn't have said he'd have had a blinder had he scored that because he should have had a hat-trick, that's a blinder.

You might be onto something but surely Klopp or the other coaches would have told him that he needs to be closer to the goal when the crosses are coming in? There have been so many opportunities this season where he could have scored had he been deeper into the box when the crosses came in.

After training he should just grab a wide man or 2 and a defender and work on some crosses. I highly doubt anybody would disagree to help him sort his game out.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #1152: Jan 21, 2016 09:46:18 pm
      His movement patterns are so unsophisticated and predictable that anyone with half a brain could mark against him. He virtually does their job for them, his instinct is to get behind the defender in relation to the ball, the more he continues to do that the more it is obvious the lad hasn't got a clue what he's doing.

As you say a loop and then cut to the front post would definitely work occasionally, or a dart forward and stop, but his drops offs with arms outstretched are irritating too. Saw him last night pointing for the pass, arm outstretched while stood next to a defender, i mean come on, why not write the defender a nice note before the game where you're going to run.

Then when it does land on his head 5 yards out he misses.

Then when he is through 1v1 he runs it out of play.

Even earlier in the match he got a peach of a pass off Flanno i think it was, put him clear of the backline and he simply didn't have the strength to stay in front, a skill you'd think would come absolutely natural to him.

As for needing coaching or things being told to him, just excuses for poor play.

The number of times he's stood in the box stationary watching play is quite simply not good enough. If he needs all this explaining to him and still continues to produce the movement he is then the time coaching is spent better on those that have the propensity to learn.

Well reasoned post
      Still think though that if you are selecting Benteke that you have to adapt the teams strategy's to play to and get the best out of his strengths.
      Any player can learn more and improve....Big Ben shows that he needs to evolve but for right now whilst that hopefully occurs we have to get the best out of him and build his confidence
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1153: Jan 21, 2016 10:51:01 pm
      Surprising just how much time he spends hanging around the outside of the box when he should be in it.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1154: Jan 22, 2016 12:35:55 am
      Should have added the header and the one on one in the last minute to his goals.

Added to the assist would have done his confidence a world of good.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #1155: Jan 22, 2016 03:33:41 pm
      Why don't you send Klopp a letter asking him what he is playing at!
      At the same time quote your UEFA coaching badges in case he needs your invaluable talent.

Why dont you instead?

Arent you the genius who was telling everyone Henderson should be sold in Summer?

Since hes the club captain, either you or Klopp need your UEFA badges stripping off you....   :lmao:
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #1156: Jan 22, 2016 03:36:32 pm
      It's hilarious logic that suggests after paying £32m for a striker and watching him be incapable of making the decision to get in the box when a cross is about to be delivered to conclude there's even a chance that it's a coaching problem.

Certainly gave me a laugh that's for sure.

While youre chuckling why dont you give some thought to what the coaches are there for?

Its probably not occurred to you that even players with big transfer fees need coaching but they do.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #1157: Jan 22, 2016 03:42:14 pm
      Why dont you instead?

Arent you the genius who was telling everyone Henderson should be sold in Summer?

Since hes the club captain, either you or Klopp need your UEFA badges stripping off you....   :lmao:

I might be a genius but I have never said Henderson should be sold   ;)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #1158: Jan 22, 2016 04:40:13 pm
      I might be a genius but I have never said Henderson should be sold   ;)

I can guess who it was though.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1159: Jan 27, 2016 08:36:26 am
      It may not be a popular observation, but I thought we looked a far more coherent unit last night when this lad came on. By and large I thought he played well too. We still IMHO don't really have a fully formed plan of how to use him effectively when he's there, but we ought to think of one I think and sharpish. Worth remembering too that despite him not scoring a goal or starting a game with first team players for ages, he's STILL our top scorer.

If only to lob a few quid onto his transfer value before we sell him, we should in my view scratch our heads a little harder t find a way to utilise him better than we do.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #1160: Jan 27, 2016 09:41:35 am
      It may not be a popular observation, but I thought we looked a far more coherent unit last night when this lad came on. By and large I thought he played well too. We still IMHO don't really have a fully formed plan of how to use him effectively when he's there, but we ought to think of one I think and sharpish. Worth remembering too that despite him not scoring a goal or starting a game with first team players for ages, he's STILL our top scorer.

If only to lob a few quid onto his transfer value before we sell him, we should in my view scratch our heads a little harder t find a way to utilise him better than we do.

Think it may be too late for him, Sturridge by all accounts is due back in the next couple of weeks (I know we have have heard that before) as is Origi.
      KoreanKop
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Should sell benteke in summer marcket
      Reply #1161: Jan 27, 2016 10:41:50 am
      Frankly speaking, I think We have to sell him,,, Many Kop said he has been  getting good perfomence like Aston Villa's , but I can't agree that .

For example,  Yesterday in pitch his dribbling is really good, We know he is really good at dribbling since Villa. When he catch the ball in Side line, Easily beat opponent 1 or 2 . but problem is in the after that situation. Compare to Firmino, He(B) didn't have concise decision in attacking situation. too slow passing timing. after the defender stand good positioning he pass! Our main tactic is fast counter attack. Using Kloop's pressing tactic , Player should get concise and fast decision in attacking.

Actually My main point is  in summer market Kloop should sell those player didn't have good brain, It's too straightforward saying.

But Absolutely Players in Kloop's area have direct pass ing skill, concise judgement in situation few seconds, and concrete heart that running like dog.

Benteke don't have whole things. In stoke , We trail stoke only one scoring, At 59 minutes He should run like crazy who really want to score. but no. I can't understand that he walks in pitch . maybe fighting player who like Suarez, Firmino, Lallana etc,, F***ing run like dog. I am sorry rough speak. lastly I can't find ardent heart to him.

Oh, Additionally 35m his cost make us dizziness. I'm sorry to say benteke this bad commnet, I know he is good target man.  If he play like heskey but his partner firmino is not owen  ,Big and small forward combination.

GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #1162: Jan 27, 2016 07:43:39 pm
      If we manage to get around 26-27 millions for him, we should get rid, clearly he isn't suited for Klopp's system and is another sh*t signing made by clueless Rodgers. I had high hopes for him but he just doesn't seem capable to deliver for us, and when he has easy chances he misses them, at least Balotelli scored when he had the chance.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1163: Jan 27, 2016 08:01:33 pm
      at least Balotelli scored when he had the chance.
      When? Big Ben might be sh*t but he's already got more than Mario
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1164: Jan 27, 2016 08:21:09 pm

There's selective memory and then there's making stuff up.

Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #1165: Jan 27, 2016 08:51:32 pm

Yes - the one and only chance he had in 16 prem games for us... Ballo was one of the worst players to grace the pitch for Liverpool, if not for talent but for his terrible attitude. At over a Million pounds a goal he represented a monumental waste of money.

Whilst I am not a fan of 'Big Ben' at least he offers something. He can score (6 in 20 prem games) but more than that he holds up the ball and can play a few decent passes forward on the way.

Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #1166: Jan 27, 2016 09:47:41 pm
      Balotelli was the biggest clusterfuck to have ever worn the Liverpool jersey.

Terrible player with a terrible attitude. I hope his cretinous personality never sees its way into Klopp's Liverpool.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1167: Jan 27, 2016 10:15:14 pm
      I thought he did ok yesterday, it was an improved performance in my opinion.

He worked hard dropped deep for the ball and got himself into the box more often.

Cheeky and classy penalty too.
      KoreanKop
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #1168: Jan 28, 2016 07:00:26 am
      I thought he did ok yesterday, it was an improved performance in my opinion.

He worked hard dropped deep for the ball and got himself into the box more often.

Cheeky and classy penalty too.

yes, I agree that yesterday game his condition was good, then I ask you something how about selling him?

my opinion is that more faster player we want. he is not fit with out tactic.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #1169: Jan 28, 2016 01:41:22 pm

That he did..
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #1170: Jan 28, 2016 02:21:41 pm

no wonder he always looks knackered
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #1171: Jan 29, 2016 12:01:13 pm
      If we manage to get around 26-27 millions for him, we should get rid, clearly he isn't suited for Klopp's system and is another sh*t signing made by clueless Rodgers. I had high hopes for him but he just doesn't seem capable to deliver for us, and when he has easy chances he misses them, at least Balotelli scored when he had the chance.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #1172: Jan 30, 2016 07:33:40 pm
      Dybala apparently was cheaper than this lad ...

Quick Reply