Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

HJK 0:2 Liverpool Pre, in game & post match debate.

Read 29316 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      HJK 0:2 Liverpool Pre, in game & post match debate.
      Jul 26, 2015 04:31:21 pm
      Bit early, but I'm board, so there.

History:
      HJK Helsinki
      Formed: 1907
      Nickname: Klubi (The Club)

Domestic honours (most recent triumph in brackets)
      League title: 26 (2013)
      Finnish Cup: 11 (2011)

Liverpool continue to step up their pre-season preparations by travelling to Finland to face HJK Helsinki a week before the campaign kicks off.

The Reds won three and drew one of their summer tour matches and will be keen to maintain that strong record at the Olympic Stadium.

A friendly at the same venue 25 years ago was the last meeting between the two sides, with Ray Houghton and David Burrows scoring in a 2-0 win.
      http://www.liverpoolfc.com/fixtures2015/first-team/hjk-helsinki-v-liverpool-8425/next-match-preview

The match is I believe to be played at the Olympic Stadium and not at HJK's normal ground, the Sonera Stadium with has a capacity of 10,770.

You can see both stadia here:

They are currently mid season in Finland, so this will not be an easy match, but it should be.
      1      HJK Helsinki      
      2      RoPS Rovaniemi      
      3      SJK Seinäjoki      
      4      IFK Mariehamn      
      5      FC Inter Turku      
      6      HIFK Helsinki      

As said should be a good test, and maybe the un-numbered Benteke may get a game, so it will be interesting to see how the game play is changed.
      « Last Edit: Aug 01, 2015 07:22:52 pm by RedPuppy »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: HJK v Liverpool 1 Aug 2015, KO: 17:30 BST Thread.
      Reply #1: Jul 26, 2015 04:37:08 pm
      This is our final pre season game before Stoke match?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #2: Jul 26, 2015 04:42:24 pm
      This is our final pre season game before Stoke match?

No, there is Swindon planned the day after, but I suspect that will be the Reserves playing that, so maybe technically yes ???
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #3: Jul 26, 2015 09:22:47 pm
      i know many think pre-season is just about fitness but i disagree.  The utter lack of strength in our opposition in pre-season leads me to believe  that Stoke away is going to be a serious slap in the face.

It seems like mollycuddling to me.
      IMO
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #4: Jul 26, 2015 09:24:55 pm
      i know many think pre-season is just about fitness but i disagree.  The utter lack of strength in our opposition in pre-season leads me to believe  that Stoke away is going to be a serious slap in the face.

IMO

We played top opposition last pre-season and look how that turned out for us. I agree that it'd be good for us to play against at least one good team but it doesn't have a direct effect on success for the coming season.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #5: Jul 26, 2015 09:32:38 pm
      No, there is Swindon planned the day after, but I suspect that will be the Reserves playing that, so maybe technically yes ???

Don't think it will be the reserves mate as they play the day before too, I'm guessing it'll be whoever doesn't play in this game.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #6: Jul 26, 2015 09:38:52 pm
      We played top opposition last pre-season and look how that turned out for us. I agree that it'd be good for us to play against at least one good team but it doesn't have a direct effect on success for the coming season.

I agree. Fitness & integration are the most important aspect of pre season.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #7: Jul 26, 2015 10:23:33 pm

IMO

Yea, because I bet the boys have all forgotten what it's like to play against a premier league side.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #8: Jul 26, 2015 10:33:30 pm

IMO

I also would have liked to see have see us play some better sides but then I guess you can slo look back on last years pre-season when I recall we drew 2-2 with City (winning on pens) and then smashed Dortmund 4-0 at Anfield in our last game. And then we were shi...te so it's hard to really say one way or another. I'd still rather we played a quality side or two though.
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #9: Jul 26, 2015 11:18:01 pm
      HJK Helilldrinki ;D
       :food-smiley-005: :food-smiley-005:
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #10: Jul 27, 2015 12:23:00 pm
      Yea, because I bet the boys have all forgotten what it's like to play against a premier league side.

Think that happened just as we were about to play Man utd at home last season and carried on from there.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #11: Jul 27, 2015 12:24:33 pm

IMO

I know what you mean, but these tours are as much about giving back to the fans all over the world who only get to watch on TV most of the time.

The fitness is most important, and the new players getting to know thier new teammates and manager, and giving young fellas a taste of tours and away games.
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #12: Jul 27, 2015 12:25:11 pm
      I also would have liked to see have see us play some better sides but then I guess you can slo look back on last years pre-season when I recall we drew 2-2 with City (winning on pens) and then smashed Dortmund 4-0 at Anfield in our last game. And then we were shi...te so it's hard to really say one way or another. I'd still rather we played a quality side or two though.

Thats it, a bit of intensity is no bad thing  when preparing for the season a head
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #13: Jul 27, 2015 12:32:26 pm
      I know what you mean, but these tours are as much about giving back to the fans all over the world who only get to watch on TV most of the time.

The fitness is most important, and the new players getting to know thier new teammates and manager, and giving young fellas a taste of tours and away games.

That's fair enough. I just feel that , as it gets closer to the start of the season, the strength of the opposition should be increased. This (IMO) would give us a better indication of the strength of character in certain players, and the team as a whole.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #14: Jul 27, 2015 12:42:53 pm
      That's fair enough. I just feel that , as it gets closer to the start of the season, the strength of the opposition should be increased. This (IMO) would give us a better indication of the strength of character in certain players, and the team as a whole.

I'm sure for novices like fans you could draw those conclusions but for Brendan, the Coaches and the stats guys they know where they need to be before the season starts.  It's great to see good results against the big teams in pre season but it means nothing other than false bragging rights.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #15: Jul 27, 2015 01:01:09 pm

Yip. and tbf. I think if anfield was not out of commission we would have invited a better team over to us.

But we have chosen to visit our Finland supporters instead.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #16: Jul 27, 2015 01:07:01 pm
      I'm sure for novices like fans you could draw those conclusions but for Brendan, the Coaches and the stats guys they know where they need to be before the season starts.  It's great to see good results against the big teams in pre season but it means nothing other than false bragging rights.

;D at the Arsenal celebrating with the emerites cup.

Our lads were embarrassed when we got that trophy in the 1st friendly. I liked that. Kolo was all smiles trying to hand the trophy round and no chunto wanted it. ;D.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #17: Jul 27, 2015 01:12:45 pm
      Don't think they will be playing thier full 1st team, this game is sandwitched inbetween thier Champions league qulaifier.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #18: Jul 27, 2015 01:16:50 pm
      ;D at the Arsenal celebrating with the emerites cup.

Our lads were embarrassed when we got that trophy in the 1st friendly. I liked that. Kolo was all smiles trying to hand the trophy round and no chunto wanted it. ;D.

Precisely mate  ;D
      littleface
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #19: Jul 27, 2015 03:48:22 pm

I didn't actually mean  big teams, in fact the game coming up will be a good run out , as the opposition are in the middle of their season and top of the league.

Scandinavian teams are usually a good start  for pre-season (IMO) . They have a high fitness level and would be competitive. Also we have a huge following there. We could still have a one -off in Asia to appease the money men and our Asian fans.
      Also, with all pre -season games shown live these days, players confidence can be eroded before a ball has been kicked for real. people say these games don't matter but they do i'm afraid.

I don't remember ( and feel free to correct me if i'm wrong) any player looking poor in pre-season , and then suddenly turning it on as soon as the season started. You can usually see most of what your getting in these games.
      « Last Edit: Jul 27, 2015 06:12:53 pm by littleface »
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #20: Jul 27, 2015 05:08:38 pm
      I didn't actually mean  big teams, in fact the game coming up will be a good run out , as the opposition are in the middle of their season and top if the league.

Scandinavian teams are usually a good start  for pre-season (IMO) . They have a high fitness level and would be competitive. Also we have a huge following there. We could still have a one -off in Asia to appease the money men and our Asian fans.
      Also, with all pre -season games shown live these days, players confidence can eroded before a ball has been kicked for real. people say these games don't matter but they do i'm afraid.

I don't remember ( and feel free to correct me if i'm wrong) any player looking poor in pre-season , and then suddenly turning it on as soon as the season started. You can usually see most of what your getting in these games.

I don't get your gripe then mate, with this summers games anyway, as none of the lads have looked poor apart from Lovren but we knew he was poor anyway.  This weekends game would have been a tougher test but they've got CL qualifiers before and after our game so probably won't put out that strong a team but as you say, they're in the middle of their season so will be upto match fitness.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #21: Jul 27, 2015 06:51:46 pm
      Didn't we sign some young players from them years back? Was it nemeth? Brain gets frazzled the older I get! Sure we did.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #22: Jul 28, 2015 12:59:07 am
      Everyone think this rather than Swindon is going to have more first teamers? That been confirmed?

Quick Reply