Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Packing in Smoking, going Cold Turkey.

Read 29177 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Packing in Smoking, going Cold Turkey.
      Jul 30, 2015 03:28:20 pm
      Basically it is what it is.

I'm a 20 year smoker, 20 fags a day, that seen a %50 increase over the last two months to the point where I was smoking 60 over 2 days.

Decided to go Cold Turkey Tuesday, so Tuesday night I smoked my last cigarette, removed all ashtray's smoking material from the house to give me the best chance possible.

Wednesday found the first 8 hours from getting out of bed really easy, then it started playing on my mind an awful lot, I ended up at the shop and bought 10 cigarettes, after sitting in a car park for 20 minutes trying to convince myself if I had just one, I'd be ok, in the end the realisation dawned on me, I'm an addict, I'd never stop at one, I'd smoke the whole packet, so I threw them away.

Woke up this morning, absolutely dying for a cigarette, still haven't buckled but I'm finding it really hard, my stomach's going nuts and cigarette's are constantly on my mind,  I know its all in my head and I have to keep distracting myself, I feel like a proper junkie.

Just getting my thoughts down, maybe even trying to distract myself.

I'm on my 4th packet of sugar free polo's in two days, looks like I'm replacing one addiction with another, on the plus side, I'll have minty fresh breath.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,312 posts | 6374 
      Re: Packing in Smoking, going Cold Turkey.
      Reply #1: Jul 30, 2015 03:41:29 pm

I'm a 20 year smoker, 20 fags a day, that seen a %50 increase over the last two months to the point where I was smoking 60 over 2 days.

Decided to go Cold Turkey Tuesday, so Tuesday night I smoked my last cigarette, removed all ashtray's smoking material from the house to give me the best chance possible.

Wednesday found the first 8 hours from getting out of bed really easy, then it started playing on my mind an awful lot, I ended up at the shop and bought 10 cigarettes, after sitting in a car park for 20 minutes trying to convince myself if I had just one, I'd be ok, in the end the realisation dawned on me, I'm an addict, I'd never stop at one, I'd smoke the whole packet, so I threw them away.

Woke up this morning, absolutely dying for a cigarette, still haven't buckled but I'm finding it really hard, my stomach's going nuts and cigarette's are constantly on my mind,  I know its all in my head and I have to keep distracting myself, I feel like a proper junkie.

I'm on my 4th packet of sugar free polo's in two days, looks like I'm replacing one addiction with another, on the plus side, I'll have minty fresh breath.

Stick with it man, you'll be better for it in the long run, health wise and financially. I could never understand how people could afford to smoke that much.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #2: Jul 30, 2015 03:54:39 pm
      I could never understand how people could afford to smoke that much.

Baffles me as well FL. My father in law must smoke at least 30 a day and I can't understand how anyone can afford that.
      « Last Edit: Jul 30, 2015 04:46:37 pm by srslfc »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,312 posts | 6374 
      Reply #3: Jul 30, 2015 04:12:38 pm
      Baffles me as well FL. My father in law must smoke at least 30 a day and I can't understand how anyone cab afford that.

I don't know about overseas but cigarettes over here are seriously expensive as well.

Cold turkey is the way to go Daz, my father in law quit when he found out his second child had asthma. He gave it up right on the spot. It was hard for him too...he was in Vietnam (a lot of the guys smoked) and then worked in a coal mine (most of the guys smoked) so he was aroudn it all the time.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #4: Jul 30, 2015 04:48:41 pm
      Heads battered with it, determined to stick with it though, just need to get to the phase where its not constantly playing on my mind, its as much a mental thing as it is an addiction.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #5: Jul 30, 2015 04:58:50 pm
      Have to say my Anxiety levels are going through the roof, it really hits home hard how badly I am addicted to Nicotine, I nevr suffer from Anxiety.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,312 posts | 6374 
      Reply #6: Jul 30, 2015 05:01:02 pm
      Have to say my Anxiety levels are going through the roof, it really hits home hard how badly I am addicted to Nicotine, I nevr suffer from Anxiety.

Just keep reminding yourself that it will get easier...because it will.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #7: Jul 30, 2015 05:12:18 pm
      Just keep reminding yourself that it will get easier...because it will.

Hope so mate, they say after 3 days there is no Nictotine in your blood and after 3-4 weeks the craving starts to pass, goal 1 is to get past the three days, then goal two is a week, after that I'm hoping I can start functioning like some sort of normal human being, in the sense its not playing on my mind so much.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #8: Jul 30, 2015 05:15:40 pm
      Gutsy call to make Blood. I've never been a smoker so have no idea about the whole issue but it takes a lot for people to stop doing something that they're addicted to. Got my fingers crossed for you mate but you're obviously taking the right steps and its good that you're trying to distract yourself from the issue.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #9: Jul 30, 2015 08:59:41 pm
      So you choose to stop right before the start of the season?! Let's hope we get off to a good start!

On a serious note though. Just keep at it, I'm sure that further down the line you will be glad you resisted all temptation. Better health and save a lot of money.

I've never been a smoker but I had a massive addiction to energy drinks, I know your pain ;)
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,402 posts | 191 
      Reply #10: Jul 30, 2015 09:31:06 pm

Just about sums it up for me too. 25 yrs , 30 a day.  Ive witnessed my aunt pass away from emphysema . And now my uncle is getting to that point as well. It's like Ive seen the damage it does and for some insane reason I keep smoking. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me.

I want to stop , I wish I never took that first drag. But it's like I can't picture my life without the cigs. Just such a habit. Longest Ive ever quit was for a month. And all was ok until I had a few beers. End up saying , eh , ill just buy one pack, then that's it. But youre right , you know you're just gonna finish the pack and buy another.  Gotta give it another go.  And cold turkey I think is the way to do it. Ive tried the patch, even some meds. Worthless.

Good luck to you Blood

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #11: Jul 31, 2015 12:11:14 am
      Thank you every one..

Well its almost bed time and 2 days smoking free, handled this evening better than I did earlier on in the day, hope it carries over into tomorrow morning, but I expect to be back to square one as soon as I open my eyes
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #12: Jul 31, 2015 12:35:50 am
      Thank you every one..

Well its almost bed time and 2 days smoking free, handled this evening better than I did earlier on in the day, hope it carries over into tomorrow morning, but I expect to be back to square one as soon as I open my eyes

Each hour is a success, each day is a bigger success.  Best advice I can think of is eat small meals regularly and exercise.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6720 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #13: Jul 31, 2015 01:18:43 am
      Good Luck Blood. You have more will power then me, so stick with it bud. I'm a 10 ciggy a day smoker and have tried a few times to give it up but haven't succeeded. I must admit though I really enjoy it and it gives me something to mix in with the green every now and again.  ;D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #14: Jul 31, 2015 04:47:14 am
      Best of luck, quitting smoking is 3 stages: 3 days for physical addiction, 3 weeks for behavioural addiction, and a nasty 3 month itch. The first 16 days are the worst after that it's fairly easy but you have to be determined and keep focused on why you want to quit.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #15: Jul 31, 2015 12:50:04 pm
      Day 3 No Smoking, been up almost 6 hours and have to say I'm fairly calm this morning, don't get me wrong its there in my head the addiction, but I'm not showing any signs of anxiety at all, if it stays like this for the next 3-4 weeks, I'd be confident that I've cracked it, its the anxiety and restlessness that gives you doubts about being able to stop in my opinion.

Its funny as I said yesterday I handled last night better than I did earlier yesterday morning and that's true, I put a film on around 8 clock called 'Entourage' at some point during that film I chilled right out and became really calm, I expected to revery back to the type this morning, aka crazy anxious man who can not stand still for a second as cigarettes have taken over his brain and every thought, but I haven't, I woke up with that feeling of calmness that took over me last night and I'm finding today, dare I say it, fairly easy ?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #16: Jul 31, 2015 06:25:53 pm
       Partied like a c**t New Year's Eve in 1999 & woke up the following morning pissed, lit a ciggie and never returned to them for the following 7 years till my ex business partner offered me one just before we parted companies, been on off ever since.

Giving up is quite easy, all in the mind.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,629 posts | 6939 
      Reply #17: Jul 31, 2015 08:16:52 pm
      Best of luck.  It's difficult but it's doable.  I still get my fix through vaping but I can't imagine I'd ever go and buy another pack of cigarettes.  Pure killing machines.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #18: Jul 31, 2015 08:49:48 pm
      Chantix is your friend Daz...I started when I was 13 and quit at 43....its the only think that ever worked for me.

Crazy even bizarre dreams but almost 6 years now without..it can be done.

Good Luck!
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #19: Jul 31, 2015 09:58:14 pm
      Best of luck Daz  my dad just quit on the spot  he was a sixty or more a day man think that's what made me hate the yhings so much ,
      My dad was given a warning it was only when my Mrs fell for our youngest that he quit soon as I told him he threw them and hasnt looked back that was 24 years ago , just celebratef his 70 th something he would never have seen had he stayed on them , think of seeing your grandkids running in the park should be all the motivation you need worked for my dad , good luck .
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,402 posts | 191 
      Reply #20: Aug 01, 2015 01:06:33 am
      Chantix is your friend Daz...I started when I was 13 and quit at 43....its the only think that ever worked for me.

Crazy even bizarre dreams but almost 6 years now without..it can be done.

Good Luck!

Wow!! I tried that Chantix too, had the same reaction. The BAD dreams, unbelievable. Not just bad , like wake up sweating, heart racing nightmares .  Gave up on it after that. It does definitely curb the cravings however.  But the side effects, couldn't handle it.

keep it up Blood , 3 days is awesome!!  You got this
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #21: Aug 01, 2015 03:00:22 pm
      4th day been my worst so far, if any one offered me a 20 box right now, I'd probably take it and smoke one after the other until I either threw up or there was none left, I'm not anxious or restless as I have been on day 1 and day 2, just the craving is there in my head constantly and I can't seem to shake it today, tried everything to distract myself, spot of gardening, fiddling on with a car, just can't seem to get it out of my head today.

Thank you every one for the encouragement :)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,312 posts | 6374 
      Reply #22: Aug 01, 2015 03:18:43 pm
      4th day been my worst so far, if any one offered me a 20 box right now, I'd probably take it and smoke one after the other until I either threw up or there was none left, I'm not anxious or restless as I have been on day 1 and day 2, just the craving is there in my head constantly and I can't seem to shake it today, tried everything to distract myself, spot of gardening, fiddling on with a car, just can't seem to get it out of my head today.

Thank you every one for the encouragement :)

Keep it up, no use to give in now. Try this...everytime you feel the urge, just drop and do 10 pushups. After having to do that about 100 times, you won't have the energy to smoke anyway ;D
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Reply #23: Aug 01, 2015 03:38:53 pm
      I recall reading that the fourth and fifth day tend to be the worst because it's when the nicotine is at its lowest in your system, but it's still there.

From my experience too it's days four and five that are nightmarish (two previous 'successful' quit attempts from 30 a day, off them 13 months now), so get through this and maybe the rest of the battle will just be in your mind.

I started running when I quit and that helped so much. So maybe go out for a run, it seems to be the best exercise to help quitting, I started Muay Thai then too!
      Another note is I'd avoid alcohol for as long as you can, I stayed away for maybe three months because I knew the danger I'd be in... now I can happily drink and not touch a cigarette! Though I do recognise I'll always love smoking, and the chance of a relapse is always around the corner so you have to stay vigilante.

I hope it goes well for you, and if you need any advice or anything I'm here constantly reading in the backgrounds of LFCreds.com xD
      MsGerrard
      Reply #24: Aug 01, 2015 04:45:41 pm
      Just think of all the dosh you'll save Daz....that would be the biggest incentive for me  ;)

Good luck hun....you'll do it  ;D

See you at Anfield next season  8)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #25: Aug 01, 2015 04:53:55 pm
      I've given up 3 times, always cold turkey with the longest being 3 years and started again every time.  I always found the early days the easiest but it got harder the longer I was off them.  I only smoke about 10 a day, if I'm working it's even less but I do smoke more if we have friends round.

Paul gave up over 2 years ago but he uses those vape things which I've tried but couldn't be bothered with them and found I was still wanting a ciggy in between.

Good luck with it Daz, I don't envy what you're going through but if you're determined, you'll find a way.  I think that's probably part of my problem, I don't really want to give up I just did because I felt I should.  The first 2 occasions when I was pregnant, the 3rd time and the longest I went was after spending a week in isolation with my youngest who was in hospital with croup, only I came out with such a bad cough I ended up in hospital with a suspected blood clot/pneumonia.

That was when my Dad gave up, he too went cold turkey after smoking 60 a day for about 50 years.  He's 83 now and never touched one in 25 years even though he admits he could still have one on occasions.

Keep at it mate, the pain you're going through will be worth it in the end and we're all here to support you when you're at your lowest  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      LiverHibs
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts |
      Reply #26: Aug 04, 2015 03:17:38 pm
      Good luck mate, keep it up.
      I've been off the smokes 4 weeks myself but I've done it with vaping.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #27: Aug 04, 2015 03:33:02 pm
      I'm struggling today, stress levels are right up with a car I'm on with, freelander td4 turbo went, and they're a bit of a chew on to do, every thing is hard to get at through the transfer box, arghhhhhhhhhhhhh.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #28: Aug 04, 2015 03:36:58 pm
      May I just add, one thing I've learned from this is 2/3 packets of sugar free polo's a day, seriously gives you the diarrhea.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #29: Aug 04, 2015 08:23:37 pm
      I'm struggling today, stress levels are right up with a car I'm on with, freelander td4 turbo went, and they're a bit of a chew on to do, every thing is hard to get at through the transfer box, arghhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Stay well clear of Freelanders mate, christ, complete crocks.

Keep at it though, stressful or not, would it really be worth caving in.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #30: Aug 04, 2015 08:30:08 pm
      May I just add, one thing I've learned from this is 2/3 packets of sugar free polo's a day, seriously gives you the diarrhea.

Novice! :D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,312 posts | 6374 
      Reply #31: Aug 04, 2015 08:35:40 pm
      Stay well clear of Freelanders mate, christ, complete crocks.

Keep at it though, stressful or not, would it really be worth caving in.

No? ;D
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #32: Jul 01, 2018 01:38:44 pm
      RedLFCBlood

When I use to go to the bookie's I could get through 40-60 Cig' day. Would lite on up just before the start of a race, and it the end would thing "Hey... I hardly tasted that" so would lite up another. Yet the funny thing was upon leaving I would not smoke another until I when to the bookies again.. Did not really like smoking, more of a habit....

Go a head cold, blocked nose lot of chest Phlegm, so did not smoke...Had it for three weeks and thought if i had not touched a cig' for that long I may as well give up... It's been 17 plus years now...

Partner was ill for a couple of weeks and she did the same she has not smoked for 14 plus years

I don't believe in patches or gum, it just make the nicotine hang about in your system longer. But having said that if it helps you, then go for it...

Did find at about 3 months in that fro about a week the urge was really strong to pick one up...

Hang in there it is worth it
      mrgowww
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts |
      Reply #33: Jul 06, 2018 09:58:29 am

Mate this sounds sad, just start doing some exercise and do the math of how much you are spending on cigs, it'll make the thing easier
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #34: Nov 08, 2018 01:30:27 pm
      F*ck me, still off the ciggies about 5 months in! Never enters my head unless in the company of a smoker then just a little. Never in a million years thought I of all people could pack in, they controlled me, I always needed a spare pack in case I ran out etc.. If you use Champix properly (although I did lapse a couple of times AND I took them for longer than I should have) and you really want to stop, this is the way to go! Good luck to anyone out there trying.

you might even be able to afford a ticket now
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #35: Dec 20, 2018 08:48:54 pm
      In March 2005 I had a hell of a pain in my chest and went to see my funny little French Doctor Muriel. She did an ECG and said no problem.
      It was only just as I was leaving that I ask if I could have a chest X Ray arranged. She got that done.
      Two weeks later I was told I had advanced lung cancer stage 3 b.
      With a three year old and wife pregnant with our second child ... just having arrived in France with no friends or support group this was a scary time.

I was in Toulouse ... in hospital... having chemo and radio when the lads won in Istanbul.

Yes I stopped after 37 years going right back to the sixties buying my 5 Parkies or Seniors and when No 6 were 3/2d   about  16 p in new money.

I stopped the day I was diagnosed in the February 2005.
      It was stable door after the horse has bolted stuff but what I did was use a patch.
      Patches only drip feed at a constant level whilst smoking is a 7 second hit to the brain in "spikes",.
      So when I had a "spike" that the patch wasn't dealing with I would drop a 1mg nicorette tab to counteract it.
      I have never picked up since.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,970 posts | 3054 
      Reply #36: Dec 20, 2018 10:01:26 pm
      In March 2005 I had a hell of a pain in my chest and went to see my funny little French Doctor Muriel. She did an ECG and said no problem.
      It was only just as I was leaving that I ask if I could have a chest X Ray arranged. She got that done.
      Two weeks later I was told I had advanced lung cancer stage 3 b.
      With a three year old and wife pregnant with our second child ... just having arrived in France with no friends or support group this was a scary time.

I was in Toulouse ... in hospital... having chemo and radio when the lads won in Istanbul.

Yes I stopped after 37 years going right back to the sixties buying my 5 Parkies or Seniors and when No 6 were 3/2d   about  16 p in new money.

I stopped the day I was diagnosed in the February 2005.
      It was stable door after the horse has bolted stuff but what I did was use a patch.
      Patches only drip feed at a constant level whilst smoking is a 7 second hit to the brain in "spikes",.
      So when I had a "spike" that the patch wasn't dealing with I would drop a 1mg nicorette tab to counteract it.
      I have never picked up since.

Always wondered the back storyto your cancer mate - you’ve referenced it from time to time.

I’ve never even tried smoking. I’m 48 and my grandparents were 60 a day merchants in the 70s.

Their flat was like Victorian London when you walked in and my mother used to bleach the net curtains every couple weeks for them - the water always looked like cold,strong tea when finished.

Lucky for me I guess - it certainly discouraged me from giving it a go.

Does the notion ever hit you now or has it been banished altogether?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #37: Dec 20, 2018 10:17:55 pm
      My old mum smoked for 80 years never had a cough died at 94. Maybe they made them stronger then but I have never smoked and never wanted to risk it.
      I have seen several friends stop and I applaud their efforts I know its been really difficult but the message should be DONT START.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #38: Dec 20, 2018 11:10:20 pm
      Always wondered the back storyto your cancer mate - you’ve referenced it from time to time.

I’ve never even tried smoking. I’m 48 and my grandparents were 60 a day merchants in the 70s.

Their flat was like Victorian London when you walked in and my mother used to bleach the net curtains every couple weeks for them - the water always looked like cold,strong tea when finished.

Lucky for me I guess - it certainly discouraged me from giving it a go.

Does the notion ever hit you now or has it been banished altogether?

Thanks for your comments.
      No the craving or thought has never come back but after 9 years in remission the cancer did and since 2014 Ive been first of all on more chemo/radio then .....

Last year they couldnt give me anymore due to collateral radiation body damage but I was lucky to be put on a two year clinical trial by Cancer Research UK who are funding it ..... called Immunotherapy.
      Next week will be week 66 of 104. I have treatment every three weeks
      I'm very lucky to be on it.

Things are going well.
      The front page of the " I " newspaper a month ago had a front page story with the headline
      Cancer Treatment Without The Chemo
      and that is exactly what I'm on now.

I'm pleased to see how things have developed in the last decade with pricing, removal of branding etc etc.making it anti-social.

The best thing of all ....... is to never start.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #39: Dec 21, 2018 06:48:24 am
      I started smoking when I was about 12 or 13 years old(when you could buy a loosie woodbine for an old threepenny bit.I stopped smoking after 42 years,just went cold turkey,I just did it for my job and it was the best thing I ever did.I was lucky as I never had the problems Skip has had.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,970 posts | 3054 
      Reply #40: Dec 21, 2018 07:27:41 am
      Thanks for your comments.
      No the craving or thought has never come back but after 9 years in remission the cancer did and since 2014 Ive been first of all on more chemo/radio then .....

Last year they couldnt give me anymore due to collateral radiation body damage but I was lucky to be put on a two year clinical trial by Cancer Research UK who are funding it ..... called Immunotherapy.
      Next week will be week 66 of 104. I have treatment every three weeks
      I'm very lucky to be on it.

Things are going well.
      The front page of the " I " newspaper a month ago had a front page story with the headline
      Cancer Treatment Without The Chemo
      and that is exactly what I'm on now.

I'm pleased to see how things have developed in the last decade with pricing, removal of branding etc etc.making it anti-social.

The best thing of all ....... is to never start.

Inspirational stuff mate - you and the medics.

Lung cancer - ultimately - as the secondary cancer did for my sister in 2000. She’d never smoked in her life but it spread from the wall of her bowel / cervix and got her before much could be done - she was gone in 5 months.

She was 18 two days before I (the baby) was born and she actually picked my name. The real one - not Scotia ;)

Anyhow - she was 47 when she died on 4th July 2000. On 7th July this year I became older than my big sister.

Not fair and not right.

I have so much admiration for the fortitude, determination -and I’m sure sheer bloody mindedness - you will have shown since 2005.

Just keep on keeping on fella ✊.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #41: Dec 21, 2018 07:38:45 am
      Been smoking since I was 13 (16 years. More than half my life, when I put it like that it's F***ing scary)

Going to give giving up a go in the new year, and also start a bit of a health kick. Must be 6/7 years since I last done any proper exercise, when I stopped kicking ball and enjoyed the partying lifestyle every weekend.

Now I'm married and the possibility of weans enters my head it's time to go on a bit of a health kick.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #42: Dec 21, 2018 07:46:05 am
      Inspirational stuff mate - you and the medics.

Lung cancer - ultimately - as the secondary cancer did for my sister in 2000. She’d never smoked in her life but it spread from the wall of her bowel / cervix and got her before much could be done - she was gone in 5 months.

She was 18 two days before I (the baby) was born and she actually picked my name. The real one - not Scotia ;)

Anyhow - she was 47 when she died on 4th July 2000. On 7th July this year I became older than my big sister.

Not fair and not right.

I have so much admiration for the fortitude, determination -and I’m sure sheer bloody mindedness - you will have shown since 2005.

Just keep on keeping on fella ✊.

For F**k sake that’s awful mate. Bringing a tear to my eye on my tube ride into the city.

Here’s to your sister.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #43: Dec 21, 2018 09:14:57 am
      I’ve packed up again... been 3 weeks now, not had an urge or anything..

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #44: Dec 21, 2018 09:37:20 am
      I think if you can repeat something (not smoking) for 21 days in a row then you will have a good habit of not smoking formed.
      Just think of the money you will save probably more than enough for a season ticket at Anfield
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #45: Dec 21, 2018 04:04:33 pm
      I’ve packed up again... been 3 weeks now, not had an urge or anything..

Its like any other addiction whether its alcohol, heroin, crack whatever.

When you've stopped ....just never pick up the first one again.
      Its the first one that gets you hooked right back in.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #46: Dec 21, 2018 04:20:41 pm
      Its like any other addiction whether its alcohol, heroin, crack whatever.

When you've stopped ....just never pick up the first one again.
      Its the first one that gets you hooked right back in.

I stopped drugs and alcohol 18 years ago, I woke up after a mad 1999 party, lit a cigarette and the smell put me right off, with a sever hangover I gave myself a break from the alcohol and it just went from there to be honest and I found faith at that time too which helped..

I’m more proud of myself regarding the alcohol...lost an uncle to it,another one on the way to it & my brother, my brother is completely consumed by it..

I started smoking again 2007 after my business partner offered me one after a disastrous season, been on/off ever since.. I’m hoping this time around I knock it on the head for good as my 3 boys keep saying..do you have to?.

Any road.l
      I’m wired up wrong to be honest, I never smoke when I’m upset/angry etc etc.. I only do when I’m happy 😁 it’s like folks say to me get it our system and hit the gym I can’t do the gym in angry mode again only when I’m happy..

I’m more creative when I’m angry 😁
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #47: Dec 21, 2018 06:56:24 pm
      I tried everything to quit smoking, and the only thing that ever worked for me was vaping, which I'm gradually cutting out now.

Must be 3 years or more since I started vaping, and haven't touched a ciggie since.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #48: Jan 10, 2019 08:08:34 am
      Day 3 off the smokes.

Went for one of those vapes, seems to be doing the trick so far.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #49: Jan 10, 2019 08:17:52 am
      Day 3 off the smokes.

Well done higgy,keep it going mate.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #50: Jan 10, 2019 09:02:16 am
      Day 3 off the smokes.

That’s Brilliant mate, sometimes it’s mind over matter... I would stop start through boredom... this time around it was requested by my kids..

My 7th week I think this week.. What I noticed most was having a a heavy chest after quitting... started Gym again after 3 months & slowly starting to run again...
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #51: Jan 10, 2019 09:13:35 am
      That’s Brilliant mate, sometimes it’s mind over matter... I would stop start through boredom... this time around it was requested by my kids..

My 7th week I think this week.. What I noticed most was having a a heavy chest after quitting... started Gym again after 3 months & slowly starting to run again...

Nice one mate.

That's my plan too, going to start the gym and try get into a bit of shape.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #52: Jan 10, 2019 10:21:07 am
      Nice one mate.

That's my plan too, going to start the gym and try get into a bit of shape.

Ease yourself in mate, I’m trying to get into the gym early mornings 7am, going after work does not work for me,standing on my feet all day & trying to find family time with kids..

Keep positive.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #53: Jan 10, 2019 10:31:35 am
      Ease yourself in mate, I’m trying to get into the gym early mornings 7am, going after work does not work for me,standing on my feet all day & trying to find family time with kids..

Keep positive.

Cheers bro.

Would say I'd try get the gym in before work too, think it would suit me better.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #54: Jan 10, 2019 10:37:42 am
      Day 3 off the smokes.

Nice one higgy, I'm in the exact same position as you mate. Bought a little pen vape thing three days ago and not had a ciggy so far.

Let's keep it going together!  :D
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #55: Jan 10, 2019 11:28:04 am
      Nice one higgy, I'm in the exact same position as you mate. Bought a little pen vape thing three days ago and not had a ciggy so far.

Let's keep it going together!  :D

Good luck pal.

My downfall will be when I'm on the beer I think. Love a good rollie and a pint.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #56: Jan 10, 2019 12:36:33 pm
      Day 3 off the smokes.

3 years off the fags using vapes.

There's loads of stuff out there you can use.
      The pod things you get from the supermarket etc are pretty crap.
      If you want to stick with the vapes, have a trip to your local vape shop and get some advice.
      Can be a bit pricey getting set up, but after that, it's cheap as chips, especially if you make your own coils and juice.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #57: Jan 10, 2019 12:47:12 pm
      Good luck pal.

My downfall will be when I'm on the beer I think. Love a good rollie and a pint.

Absolutely mate, that's the real test for me too. Best part of 11 years on them so not going to be easy!
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #58: Jan 10, 2019 12:57:19 pm
      3 years off the fags using vapes.

There's loads of stuff out there you can use.
      The pod things you get from the supermarket etc are pretty crap.
      If you want to stick with the vapes, have a trip to your local vape shop and get some advice.
      Can be a bit pricey getting set up, but after that, it's cheap as chips, especially if you make your own coils and juice.

Yeah mate got an Endura T18, was only £25 so it'll do me for a while as it seems to be doing the trick so far.

Will may be upgrade it in a while.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #59: Jan 10, 2019 01:19:04 pm
      Wouldn't even know where to start making my own coils and juice though  :D
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #60: Jan 10, 2019 01:37:25 pm
      Wouldn't even know where to start making my own coils and juice though  :D

:laugh:
      Loads of tutorial videos on youtube.

This morning I'm using a Sigelei 75w with a Trillium tank, and Atlantis coil in it.
      Juice is grumpy custard 6mg

I got into making my own coils, but it was honestly more trouble than it was worth, so just bought stock coils.

I've got about 10 different setups  :laugh: all box mods apart from a Tesla Stealth.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #61: Jan 10, 2019 02:05:24 pm
      I honestly know F**k all about them mate, will take a look at the ones you posted when I get a chance.

Bought it Monday and I had it I near bounced it off the wall after half an hour, wouldn't work and for the life of me I couldn't understand why, so brought it back and there was a dud coil in it ffs.

Actually had to buy a packet of smokes it was getting on my tits that much  :D
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #62: Jan 10, 2019 02:15:00 pm
      I honestly know F**k all about them mate, will take a look at the ones you posted when I get a chance.

Bought it Monday and I had it I near bounced it off the wall after half an hour, wouldn't work and for the life of me I couldn't understand why, so brought it back and there was a dud coil in it ffs.

Actually had to buy a packet of smokes it was getting on my tits that much  :D

:laugh:

It's always a problem with those cheap all in one jobs.
      Some are OK, from what I've heard, but some are crap.

I experimented quite a lot when I first started vaping, but quickly settled on box mods and stock coil tanks.
      Easy peasy that way.
      Only problem is for box mods you need batteries (mostly) and a charger.

With juice I get 100ml mix kits from a place called Justaddnic and it works out less than 2 quid for 10ml

Lots of different products and advice out there if you carry on with it.

I found it was the only thing kept me off the fags, and I'm slowly bringing down the nicotine strength in my juice now so I can bin vaping as well.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #63: Jan 10, 2019 02:25:32 pm
      Yeah I aim to lower the nicotine as I go on, and eventually get off the vape as well.

On the 18mg to start with.

Haven't even tried any mad flavours, just went with the tobacco flavoured one to start me off.

There's plenty of choice out there anyway and some absolutely mad flavours that I've seen but will stick with the tobacco one for now.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #64: Jan 10, 2019 03:01:32 pm
      Well done higgy they say if you can do something for 21 days running you can do it for life.
      I have bought a few friends Vapes and they all ended up packing up completely and have saved a fortune you might be able to go to the match !
      Keep it up.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #65: Jan 10, 2019 03:22:17 pm
      Well done higgy they say if you can do something for 21 days running you can do it for life.
      I have bought a few friends Vapes and they all ended up packing up completely and have saved a fortune you might be able to go to the match !
      Keep it up.

Cheers Walt.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #66: Jan 11, 2019 06:50:53 pm
      A year off the ciggies for me fell 9th Jan all down to vaping.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #67: Jan 11, 2019 07:17:11 pm
      A year off the ciggies for me fell 9th Jan all down to vaping.

Nice one pal.

Only on day 4 but couldn't even have made it this far without the Vape.

Can honestly say I haven't even thought about a ciggie.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #68: Jan 11, 2019 08:58:31 pm
      Nice one pal.

Only on day 4 but couldn't even have made it this far without the Vape.

Can honestly say I haven't even thought about a ciggie.

just keep ticking the days off.
      A friend of mine had an App showing his daily savings it was incredible how quickly it mounted up bought himself a really nice bike after a few months
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #69: Jan 25, 2019 08:15:46 am
      A slip up when out on the beer on Saturday night. Whoops.

Was back off them again on Sunday though.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,970 posts | 3054 
      Reply #70: Jan 25, 2019 08:23:52 am

Well done mate. That’s the way - ignore the blip move on.

When I gave up the grog for about 6 months a few years back I kept a diary counting the days and writing down the exercise I did.

As I saw the list of what I could do get longer (and my waistline get slimmer ;)) my resolve hardened.

I still keep it now - wee x and a yellow mark at the weekends when I sink a couple :)

Might help - did me.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #71: Jan 25, 2019 09:00:16 am

It’s that hard part when your sinking a few.. naturally you turn to a ciggie too..

Keep up the good work..

Strangely I’ve had an urge to have one here or there recently.. I dont know why as I’ve been off them a while now..
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #72: Jan 25, 2019 02:30:15 pm
      Strangely I’ve had an urge to have one here or there recently.. I dont know why as I’ve been off them a while now..

Maybe because you've been thinking about it more after talking on here.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #73: Jan 25, 2019 03:14:15 pm
      Maybe because you've been thinking about it more after talking on here.

No mate, just surrounded by smokers.. 😂 plus boredom..
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,970 posts | 3054 
      Reply #74: Jan 25, 2019 03:33:53 pm
      No mate, just surrounded by smokers.. 😂 plus boredom..

This is - I know - gonna sound outrageously patronising but it is meant sincerely.

I always feel heart sorry for smokers when I see ‘em huddled outside the boozer / restaurant on a ‘freeze the bollocks off you’ night.

Firstly that must be sh*t in and of itself but to be so in thrall to a habit / addiction must be even worse.

Don’t get me wrong I’m a massive advocate of the smoking ban - but I do still feel for those people when I see it.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #75: Jan 25, 2019 04:09:12 pm
      This is - I know - gonna sound outrageously patronising but it is meant sincerely.

I always feel heart sorry for smokers when I see ‘em huddled outside the boozer / restaurant on a ‘freeze the bollocks off you’ night.

Firstly that must be sh*t in and of itself but to be so in thrall to a habit / addiction must be even worse.

Don’t get me wrong I’m a massive advocate of the smoking ban - but I do still feel for those people when I see it.

I’m no fan of the ban, I mean as you say groups of smokers huddled outside and you have young children walking past, not a good look..I think there should be a designated areas indoors with the correct ventilation..
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,428 posts | 4582 
      Reply #76: Jan 28, 2019 03:55:42 pm
      Smoked 3 in the last day.... saw it coming to be honest & I guess dealing with an alcoholic brother who is on self destruct does not help..

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,970 posts | 3054 
      Reply #77: Jan 28, 2019 04:27:06 pm
      Smoked 3 in the last day.... saw it coming to be honest & I guess dealing with an alcoholic brother who is on self destruct does not help..

Life isn’t absolute mate. Don’t beat yourself up.

Very hard watching someone you love self harming and (in my experience) self deceiving.....

Couple fags is neither here nor there.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,277 posts | 799 
      Reply #78: Feb 10, 2019 08:23:41 am
      Still going well.

Although my down fall is when on the beer.

Would need to go off the beer to completely go off the smokes.

Like that's gonna happen.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,266 posts | 281 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #79: Jun 28, 2019 01:30:52 pm
      Keep it up peeps and don't beat yourselves up if you give in for the occasional one or two or three. Cutting right down is a good way to start the process of getting out of the habit.

The last cig i had was on holiday Sept 14, so nearly 5 years without touching one again.

It wasn't easy but I started by cutting down gradually and then vaping when i had a drink (which is quite often).

Good luck!

Quick Reply