Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Packing in Smoking, going Cold Turkey.

Read 29024 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Packing in Smoking, going Cold Turkey.
      Jul 30, 2015 03:28:20 pm
      Basically it is what it is.

I'm a 20 year smoker, 20 fags a day, that seen a %50 increase over the last two months to the point where I was smoking 60 over 2 days.

Decided to go Cold Turkey Tuesday, so Tuesday night I smoked my last cigarette, removed all ashtray's smoking material from the house to give me the best chance possible.

Wednesday found the first 8 hours from getting out of bed really easy, then it started playing on my mind an awful lot, I ended up at the shop and bought 10 cigarettes, after sitting in a car park for 20 minutes trying to convince myself if I had just one, I'd be ok, in the end the realisation dawned on me, I'm an addict, I'd never stop at one, I'd smoke the whole packet, so I threw them away.

Woke up this morning, absolutely dying for a cigarette, still haven't buckled but I'm finding it really hard, my stomach's going nuts and cigarette's are constantly on my mind,  I know its all in my head and I have to keep distracting myself, I feel like a proper junkie.

Just getting my thoughts down, maybe even trying to distract myself.

I'm on my 4th packet of sugar free polo's in two days, looks like I'm replacing one addiction with another, on the plus side, I'll have minty fresh breath.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Re: Packing in Smoking, going Cold Turkey.
      Reply #1: Jul 30, 2015 03:41:29 pm

I'm a 20 year smoker, 20 fags a day, that seen a %50 increase over the last two months to the point where I was smoking 60 over 2 days.

Decided to go Cold Turkey Tuesday, so Tuesday night I smoked my last cigarette, removed all ashtray's smoking material from the house to give me the best chance possible.

Wednesday found the first 8 hours from getting out of bed really easy, then it started playing on my mind an awful lot, I ended up at the shop and bought 10 cigarettes, after sitting in a car park for 20 minutes trying to convince myself if I had just one, I'd be ok, in the end the realisation dawned on me, I'm an addict, I'd never stop at one, I'd smoke the whole packet, so I threw them away.

Woke up this morning, absolutely dying for a cigarette, still haven't buckled but I'm finding it really hard, my stomach's going nuts and cigarette's are constantly on my mind,  I know its all in my head and I have to keep distracting myself, I feel like a proper junkie.

Just getting my thoughts down, maybe even trying to distract myself.

I'm on my 4th packet of sugar free polo's in two days, looks like I'm replacing one addiction with another, on the plus side, I'll have minty fresh breath.

Stick with it man, you'll be better for it in the long run, health wise and financially. I could never understand how people could afford to smoke that much.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #2: Jul 30, 2015 03:54:39 pm
      I could never understand how people could afford to smoke that much.

Baffles me as well FL. My father in law must smoke at least 30 a day and I can't understand how anyone can afford that.
      « Last Edit: Jul 30, 2015 04:46:37 pm by srslfc »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #3: Jul 30, 2015 04:12:38 pm
      Baffles me as well FL. My father in law must smoke at least 30 a day and I can't understand how anyone cab afford that.

I don't know about overseas but cigarettes over here are seriously expensive as well.

Cold turkey is the way to go Daz, my father in law quit when he found out his second child had asthma. He gave it up right on the spot. It was hard for him too...he was in Vietnam (a lot of the guys smoked) and then worked in a coal mine (most of the guys smoked) so he was aroudn it all the time.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #4: Jul 30, 2015 04:48:41 pm
      Heads battered with it, determined to stick with it though, just need to get to the phase where its not constantly playing on my mind, its as much a mental thing as it is an addiction.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #5: Jul 30, 2015 04:58:50 pm
      Have to say my Anxiety levels are going through the roof, it really hits home hard how badly I am addicted to Nicotine, I nevr suffer from Anxiety.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #6: Jul 30, 2015 05:01:02 pm
      Have to say my Anxiety levels are going through the roof, it really hits home hard how badly I am addicted to Nicotine, I nevr suffer from Anxiety.

Just keep reminding yourself that it will get easier...because it will.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #7: Jul 30, 2015 05:12:18 pm
      Just keep reminding yourself that it will get easier...because it will.

Hope so mate, they say after 3 days there is no Nictotine in your blood and after 3-4 weeks the craving starts to pass, goal 1 is to get past the three days, then goal two is a week, after that I'm hoping I can start functioning like some sort of normal human being, in the sense its not playing on my mind so much.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #8: Jul 30, 2015 05:15:40 pm
      Gutsy call to make Blood. I've never been a smoker so have no idea about the whole issue but it takes a lot for people to stop doing something that they're addicted to. Got my fingers crossed for you mate but you're obviously taking the right steps and its good that you're trying to distract yourself from the issue.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #9: Jul 30, 2015 08:59:41 pm
      So you choose to stop right before the start of the season?! Let's hope we get off to a good start!

On a serious note though. Just keep at it, I'm sure that further down the line you will be glad you resisted all temptation. Better health and save a lot of money.

I've never been a smoker but I had a massive addiction to energy drinks, I know your pain ;)
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,400 posts | 189 
      Reply #10: Jul 30, 2015 09:31:06 pm

Just about sums it up for me too. 25 yrs , 30 a day.  Ive witnessed my aunt pass away from emphysema . And now my uncle is getting to that point as well. It's like Ive seen the damage it does and for some insane reason I keep smoking. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me.

I want to stop , I wish I never took that first drag. But it's like I can't picture my life without the cigs. Just such a habit. Longest Ive ever quit was for a month. And all was ok until I had a few beers. End up saying , eh , ill just buy one pack, then that's it. But youre right , you know you're just gonna finish the pack and buy another.  Gotta give it another go.  And cold turkey I think is the way to do it. Ive tried the patch, even some meds. Worthless.

Good luck to you Blood

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #11: Jul 31, 2015 12:11:14 am
      Thank you every one..

Well its almost bed time and 2 days smoking free, handled this evening better than I did earlier on in the day, hope it carries over into tomorrow morning, but I expect to be back to square one as soon as I open my eyes
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #12: Jul 31, 2015 12:35:50 am
      Thank you every one..

Well its almost bed time and 2 days smoking free, handled this evening better than I did earlier on in the day, hope it carries over into tomorrow morning, but I expect to be back to square one as soon as I open my eyes

Each hour is a success, each day is a bigger success.  Best advice I can think of is eat small meals regularly and exercise.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #13: Jul 31, 2015 01:18:43 am
      Good Luck Blood. You have more will power then me, so stick with it bud. I'm a 10 ciggy a day smoker and have tried a few times to give it up but haven't succeeded. I must admit though I really enjoy it and it gives me something to mix in with the green every now and again.  ;D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #14: Jul 31, 2015 04:47:14 am
      Best of luck, quitting smoking is 3 stages: 3 days for physical addiction, 3 weeks for behavioural addiction, and a nasty 3 month itch. The first 16 days are the worst after that it's fairly easy but you have to be determined and keep focused on why you want to quit.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #15: Jul 31, 2015 12:50:04 pm
      Day 3 No Smoking, been up almost 6 hours and have to say I'm fairly calm this morning, don't get me wrong its there in my head the addiction, but I'm not showing any signs of anxiety at all, if it stays like this for the next 3-4 weeks, I'd be confident that I've cracked it, its the anxiety and restlessness that gives you doubts about being able to stop in my opinion.

Its funny as I said yesterday I handled last night better than I did earlier yesterday morning and that's true, I put a film on around 8 clock called 'Entourage' at some point during that film I chilled right out and became really calm, I expected to revery back to the type this morning, aka crazy anxious man who can not stand still for a second as cigarettes have taken over his brain and every thought, but I haven't, I woke up with that feeling of calmness that took over me last night and I'm finding today, dare I say it, fairly easy ?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #16: Jul 31, 2015 06:25:53 pm
       Partied like a c**t New Year's Eve in 1999 & woke up the following morning pissed, lit a ciggie and never returned to them for the following 7 years till my ex business partner offered me one just before we parted companies, been on off ever since.

Giving up is quite easy, all in the mind.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #17: Jul 31, 2015 08:16:52 pm
      Best of luck.  It's difficult but it's doable.  I still get my fix through vaping but I can't imagine I'd ever go and buy another pack of cigarettes.  Pure killing machines.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #18: Jul 31, 2015 08:49:48 pm
      Chantix is your friend Daz...I started when I was 13 and quit at 43....its the only think that ever worked for me.

Crazy even bizarre dreams but almost 6 years now without..it can be done.

Good Luck!
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #19: Jul 31, 2015 09:58:14 pm
      Best of luck Daz  my dad just quit on the spot  he was a sixty or more a day man think that's what made me hate the yhings so much ,
      My dad was given a warning it was only when my Mrs fell for our youngest that he quit soon as I told him he threw them and hasnt looked back that was 24 years ago , just celebratef his 70 th something he would never have seen had he stayed on them , think of seeing your grandkids running in the park should be all the motivation you need worked for my dad , good luck .
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,400 posts | 189 
      Reply #20: Aug 01, 2015 01:06:33 am
      Chantix is your friend Daz...I started when I was 13 and quit at 43....its the only think that ever worked for me.

Crazy even bizarre dreams but almost 6 years now without..it can be done.

Good Luck!

Wow!! I tried that Chantix too, had the same reaction. The BAD dreams, unbelievable. Not just bad , like wake up sweating, heart racing nightmares .  Gave up on it after that. It does definitely curb the cravings however.  But the side effects, couldn't handle it.

keep it up Blood , 3 days is awesome!!  You got this
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #21: Aug 01, 2015 03:00:22 pm
      4th day been my worst so far, if any one offered me a 20 box right now, I'd probably take it and smoke one after the other until I either threw up or there was none left, I'm not anxious or restless as I have been on day 1 and day 2, just the craving is there in my head constantly and I can't seem to shake it today, tried everything to distract myself, spot of gardening, fiddling on with a car, just can't seem to get it out of my head today.

Thank you every one for the encouragement :)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #22: Aug 01, 2015 03:18:43 pm
      4th day been my worst so far, if any one offered me a 20 box right now, I'd probably take it and smoke one after the other until I either threw up or there was none left, I'm not anxious or restless as I have been on day 1 and day 2, just the craving is there in my head constantly and I can't seem to shake it today, tried everything to distract myself, spot of gardening, fiddling on with a car, just can't seem to get it out of my head today.

Thank you every one for the encouragement :)

Keep it up, no use to give in now. Try this...everytime you feel the urge, just drop and do 10 pushups. After having to do that about 100 times, you won't have the energy to smoke anyway ;D

Quick Reply