Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Packing in Smoking, going Cold Turkey.

Read 29025 times
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Re: Packing in Smoking, going Cold Turkey.
      Reply #23: Aug 01, 2015 03:38:53 pm
      I recall reading that the fourth and fifth day tend to be the worst because it's when the nicotine is at its lowest in your system, but it's still there.

From my experience too it's days four and five that are nightmarish (two previous 'successful' quit attempts from 30 a day, off them 13 months now), so get through this and maybe the rest of the battle will just be in your mind.

I started running when I quit and that helped so much. So maybe go out for a run, it seems to be the best exercise to help quitting, I started Muay Thai then too!
      Another note is I'd avoid alcohol for as long as you can, I stayed away for maybe three months because I knew the danger I'd be in... now I can happily drink and not touch a cigarette! Though I do recognise I'll always love smoking, and the chance of a relapse is always around the corner so you have to stay vigilante.

I hope it goes well for you, and if you need any advice or anything I'm here constantly reading in the backgrounds of LFCreds.com xD
      MsGerrard
      Reply #24: Aug 01, 2015 04:45:41 pm
      Just think of all the dosh you'll save Daz....that would be the biggest incentive for me  ;)

Good luck hun....you'll do it  ;D

See you at Anfield next season  8)
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #25: Aug 01, 2015 04:53:55 pm
      I've given up 3 times, always cold turkey with the longest being 3 years and started again every time.  I always found the early days the easiest but it got harder the longer I was off them.  I only smoke about 10 a day, if I'm working it's even less but I do smoke more if we have friends round.

Paul gave up over 2 years ago but he uses those vape things which I've tried but couldn't be bothered with them and found I was still wanting a ciggy in between.

Good luck with it Daz, I don't envy what you're going through but if you're determined, you'll find a way.  I think that's probably part of my problem, I don't really want to give up I just did because I felt I should.  The first 2 occasions when I was pregnant, the 3rd time and the longest I went was after spending a week in isolation with my youngest who was in hospital with croup, only I came out with such a bad cough I ended up in hospital with a suspected blood clot/pneumonia.

That was when my Dad gave up, he too went cold turkey after smoking 60 a day for about 50 years.  He's 83 now and never touched one in 25 years even though he admits he could still have one on occasions.

Keep at it mate, the pain you're going through will be worth it in the end and we're all here to support you when you're at your lowest  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      LiverHibs
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts |
      Reply #26: Aug 04, 2015 03:17:38 pm
      Good luck mate, keep it up.
      I've been off the smokes 4 weeks myself but I've done it with vaping.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #27: Aug 04, 2015 03:33:02 pm
      I'm struggling today, stress levels are right up with a car I'm on with, freelander td4 turbo went, and they're a bit of a chew on to do, every thing is hard to get at through the transfer box, arghhhhhhhhhhhhh.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #28: Aug 04, 2015 03:36:58 pm
      May I just add, one thing I've learned from this is 2/3 packets of sugar free polo's a day, seriously gives you the diarrhea.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #29: Aug 04, 2015 08:23:37 pm
      I'm struggling today, stress levels are right up with a car I'm on with, freelander td4 turbo went, and they're a bit of a chew on to do, every thing is hard to get at through the transfer box, arghhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Stay well clear of Freelanders mate, christ, complete crocks.

Keep at it though, stressful or not, would it really be worth caving in.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #30: Aug 04, 2015 08:30:08 pm
      May I just add, one thing I've learned from this is 2/3 packets of sugar free polo's a day, seriously gives you the diarrhea.

Novice! :D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #31: Aug 04, 2015 08:35:40 pm
      Stay well clear of Freelanders mate, christ, complete crocks.

Keep at it though, stressful or not, would it really be worth caving in.

No? ;D
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #32: Jul 01, 2018 01:38:44 pm
      RedLFCBlood

When I use to go to the bookie's I could get through 40-60 Cig' day. Would lite on up just before the start of a race, and it the end would thing "Hey... I hardly tasted that" so would lite up another. Yet the funny thing was upon leaving I would not smoke another until I when to the bookies again.. Did not really like smoking, more of a habit....

Go a head cold, blocked nose lot of chest Phlegm, so did not smoke...Had it for three weeks and thought if i had not touched a cig' for that long I may as well give up... It's been 17 plus years now...

Partner was ill for a couple of weeks and she did the same she has not smoked for 14 plus years

I don't believe in patches or gum, it just make the nicotine hang about in your system longer. But having said that if it helps you, then go for it...

Did find at about 3 months in that fro about a week the urge was really strong to pick one up...

Hang in there it is worth it
      mrgowww
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts |
      Reply #33: Jul 06, 2018 09:58:29 am
      Basically it is what it is.

I'm a 20 year smoker, 20 fags a day, that seen a %50 increase over the last two months to the point where I was smoking 60 over 2 days.

Decided to go Cold Turkey Tuesday, so Tuesday night I smoked my last cigarette, removed all ashtray's smoking material from the house to give me the best chance possible.

Wednesday found the first 8 hours from getting out of bed really easy, then it started playing on my mind an awful lot, I ended up at the shop and bought 10 cigarettes, after sitting in a car park for 20 minutes trying to convince myself if I had just one, I'd be ok, in the end the realisation dawned on me, I'm an addict, I'd never stop at one, I'd smoke the whole packet, so I threw them away.

Woke up this morning, absolutely dying for a cigarette, still haven't buckled but I'm finding it really hard, my stomach's going nuts and cigarette's are constantly on my mind,  I know its all in my head and I have to keep distracting myself, I feel like a proper junkie.

Just getting my thoughts down, maybe even trying to distract myself.

I'm on my 4th packet of sugar free polo's in two days, looks like I'm replacing one addiction with another, on the plus side, I'll have minty fresh breath.

Mate this sounds sad, just start doing some exercise and do the math of how much you are spending on cigs, it'll make the thing easier
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #34: Nov 08, 2018 01:30:27 pm
      F*ck me, still off the ciggies about 5 months in! Never enters my head unless in the company of a smoker then just a little. Never in a million years thought I of all people could pack in, they controlled me, I always needed a spare pack in case I ran out etc.. If you use Champix properly (although I did lapse a couple of times AND I took them for longer than I should have) and you really want to stop, this is the way to go! Good luck to anyone out there trying.

you might even be able to afford a ticket now
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #35: Dec 20, 2018 08:48:54 pm
      In March 2005 I had a hell of a pain in my chest and went to see my funny little French Doctor Muriel. She did an ECG and said no problem.
      It was only just as I was leaving that I ask if I could have a chest X Ray arranged. She got that done.
      Two weeks later I was told I had advanced lung cancer stage 3 b.
      With a three year old and wife pregnant with our second child ... just having arrived in France with no friends or support group this was a scary time.

I was in Toulouse ... in hospital... having chemo and radio when the lads won in Istanbul.

Yes I stopped after 37 years going right back to the sixties buying my 5 Parkies or Seniors and when No 6 were 3/2d   about  16 p in new money.

I stopped the day I was diagnosed in the February 2005.
      It was stable door after the horse has bolted stuff but what I did was use a patch.
      Patches only drip feed at a constant level whilst smoking is a 7 second hit to the brain in "spikes",.
      So when I had a "spike" that the patch wasn't dealing with I would drop a 1mg nicorette tab to counteract it.
      I have never picked up since.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #36: Dec 20, 2018 10:01:26 pm
      In March 2005 I had a hell of a pain in my chest and went to see my funny little French Doctor Muriel. She did an ECG and said no problem.
      It was only just as I was leaving that I ask if I could have a chest X Ray arranged. She got that done.
      Two weeks later I was told I had advanced lung cancer stage 3 b.
      With a three year old and wife pregnant with our second child ... just having arrived in France with no friends or support group this was a scary time.

I was in Toulouse ... in hospital... having chemo and radio when the lads won in Istanbul.

Yes I stopped after 37 years going right back to the sixties buying my 5 Parkies or Seniors and when No 6 were 3/2d   about  16 p in new money.

I stopped the day I was diagnosed in the February 2005.
      It was stable door after the horse has bolted stuff but what I did was use a patch.
      Patches only drip feed at a constant level whilst smoking is a 7 second hit to the brain in "spikes",.
      So when I had a "spike" that the patch wasn't dealing with I would drop a 1mg nicorette tab to counteract it.
      I have never picked up since.

Always wondered the back storyto your cancer mate - you’ve referenced it from time to time.

I’ve never even tried smoking. I’m 48 and my grandparents were 60 a day merchants in the 70s.

Their flat was like Victorian London when you walked in and my mother used to bleach the net curtains every couple weeks for them - the water always looked like cold,strong tea when finished.

Lucky for me I guess - it certainly discouraged me from giving it a go.

Does the notion ever hit you now or has it been banished altogether?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #37: Dec 20, 2018 10:17:55 pm
      My old mum smoked for 80 years never had a cough died at 94. Maybe they made them stronger then but I have never smoked and never wanted to risk it.
      I have seen several friends stop and I applaud their efforts I know its been really difficult but the message should be DONT START.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #38: Dec 20, 2018 11:10:20 pm
      Always wondered the back storyto your cancer mate - you’ve referenced it from time to time.

I’ve never even tried smoking. I’m 48 and my grandparents were 60 a day merchants in the 70s.

Their flat was like Victorian London when you walked in and my mother used to bleach the net curtains every couple weeks for them - the water always looked like cold,strong tea when finished.

Lucky for me I guess - it certainly discouraged me from giving it a go.

Does the notion ever hit you now or has it been banished altogether?

Thanks for your comments.
      No the craving or thought has never come back but after 9 years in remission the cancer did and since 2014 Ive been first of all on more chemo/radio then .....

Last year they couldnt give me anymore due to collateral radiation body damage but I was lucky to be put on a two year clinical trial by Cancer Research UK who are funding it ..... called Immunotherapy.
      Next week will be week 66 of 104. I have treatment every three weeks
      I'm very lucky to be on it.

Things are going well.
      The front page of the " I " newspaper a month ago had a front page story with the headline
      Cancer Treatment Without The Chemo
      and that is exactly what I'm on now.

I'm pleased to see how things have developed in the last decade with pricing, removal of branding etc etc.making it anti-social.

The best thing of all ....... is to never start.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #39: Dec 21, 2018 06:48:24 am
      I started smoking when I was about 12 or 13 years old(when you could buy a loosie woodbine for an old threepenny bit.I stopped smoking after 42 years,just went cold turkey,I just did it for my job and it was the best thing I ever did.I was lucky as I never had the problems Skip has had.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #40: Dec 21, 2018 07:27:41 am
      Thanks for your comments.
      No the craving or thought has never come back but after 9 years in remission the cancer did and since 2014 Ive been first of all on more chemo/radio then .....

Last year they couldnt give me anymore due to collateral radiation body damage but I was lucky to be put on a two year clinical trial by Cancer Research UK who are funding it ..... called Immunotherapy.
      Next week will be week 66 of 104. I have treatment every three weeks
      I'm very lucky to be on it.

Things are going well.
      The front page of the " I " newspaper a month ago had a front page story with the headline
      Cancer Treatment Without The Chemo
      and that is exactly what I'm on now.

I'm pleased to see how things have developed in the last decade with pricing, removal of branding etc etc.making it anti-social.

The best thing of all ....... is to never start.

Inspirational stuff mate - you and the medics.

Lung cancer - ultimately - as the secondary cancer did for my sister in 2000. She’d never smoked in her life but it spread from the wall of her bowel / cervix and got her before much could be done - she was gone in 5 months.

She was 18 two days before I (the baby) was born and she actually picked my name. The real one - not Scotia ;)

Anyhow - she was 47 when she died on 4th July 2000. On 7th July this year I became older than my big sister.

Not fair and not right.

I have so much admiration for the fortitude, determination -and I’m sure sheer bloody mindedness - you will have shown since 2005.

Just keep on keeping on fella ✊.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #41: Dec 21, 2018 07:38:45 am
      Been smoking since I was 13 (16 years. More than half my life, when I put it like that it's F***ing scary)

Going to give giving up a go in the new year, and also start a bit of a health kick. Must be 6/7 years since I last done any proper exercise, when I stopped kicking ball and enjoyed the partying lifestyle every weekend.

Now I'm married and the possibility of weans enters my head it's time to go on a bit of a health kick.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #42: Dec 21, 2018 07:46:05 am
      Inspirational stuff mate - you and the medics.

Lung cancer - ultimately - as the secondary cancer did for my sister in 2000. She’d never smoked in her life but it spread from the wall of her bowel / cervix and got her before much could be done - she was gone in 5 months.

She was 18 two days before I (the baby) was born and she actually picked my name. The real one - not Scotia ;)

Anyhow - she was 47 when she died on 4th July 2000. On 7th July this year I became older than my big sister.

Not fair and not right.

I have so much admiration for the fortitude, determination -and I’m sure sheer bloody mindedness - you will have shown since 2005.

Just keep on keeping on fella ✊.

For F**k sake that’s awful mate. Bringing a tear to my eye on my tube ride into the city.

Here’s to your sister.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #43: Dec 21, 2018 09:14:57 am
      I’ve packed up again... been 3 weeks now, not had an urge or anything..

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #44: Dec 21, 2018 09:37:20 am
      I think if you can repeat something (not smoking) for 21 days in a row then you will have a good habit of not smoking formed.
      Just think of the money you will save probably more than enough for a season ticket at Anfield
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #45: Dec 21, 2018 04:04:33 pm
      I’ve packed up again... been 3 weeks now, not had an urge or anything..

Its like any other addiction whether its alcohol, heroin, crack whatever.

When you've stopped ....just never pick up the first one again.
      Its the first one that gets you hooked right back in.

Quick Reply