Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Swindon Town 1:2 Liverpool [Friendly] Pre, in game & post match debate.

Read 33763 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: LIVE: Swindon Town v Liverpool [Friendly]
      Reply #253: Aug 02, 2015 05:41:34 pm
      Used to Debs as you know and rely heavily on your input now. Hopefully I can revert that this year as I really missed it last.

If you get the chance Luke you should, there is so much talent in the 17/18/19 year olds I'd be amazed if at least half a dozen don't make it with us.  They aren't as "solid" as the Wisdom, Robinson, Flanno, Coady group but boy can they play footy  ;D
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #254: Aug 02, 2015 05:42:59 pm
      Every youth game is on LFC TV isn't it? If so then i'll be catching them a lot more.

Not all of them mate but if you go into the match/results section on the offal and click on the u21 or u18 banner at the top it tells you which ones are.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #255: Aug 02, 2015 05:44:05 pm
      OJO!!!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #256: Aug 02, 2015 05:44:22 pm
      Ohhhh! hahahahaha. Ojo scores.

Big Vig doesn't deserve that.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,438 posts | 1463 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #257: Aug 02, 2015 05:44:45 pm
      2-1! :D
      Gutted for the young keeper though...
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #258: Aug 02, 2015 05:44:54 pm
      Ojo! Wonderful touch to bring it down, good shot, but the goalkeeper palms it back into the goal :laugh:

Vigs has been superb, though.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #259: Aug 02, 2015 05:46:29 pm
      If you get the chance Luke you should, there is so much talent in the 17/18/19 year olds I'd be amazed if at least half a dozen don't make it with us.  They aren't as "solid" as the Wisdom, Robinson, Flanno, Coady group but boy can they play footy  ;D

I've always preferred that style of player anyway Debs.

Nice to see us grab a second here, I think we're good for the win and it's been a very decent test.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #260: Aug 02, 2015 05:48:44 pm
      so who is most likely to breaktrhough to the first team? tex, yesil?

Tex should do probably for the Cups and Europa this season but he's a lot to do to replace Cou in the starting 11 for League games.  No reason he can't come in when/if Cou's injured or needs resting.  Yesil could go either way due to his injuries but he's been scoring freely since he came back at the end of last season and through pre season, so who knows.

If anything mate it'll be the younger ones who become the stars.  Those at 16/17/18/19 and I could list a dozen of them who could.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #261: Aug 02, 2015 05:50:12 pm
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #262: Aug 02, 2015 05:51:29 pm
      Enjoyed that.  Well played young Reds and I'm confident that Firmino and Benteke will make their mark this season.  I'm really worried for Marko though, he was totally overshadowed by the Academy lads in terms of pace, passing and strength.

Another good win to end an unbeaten pre season.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #263: Aug 02, 2015 05:52:18 pm
      I've always preferred that style of player anyway Debs.

Nice to see us grab a second here, I think we're good for the win and it's been a very decent test.

Same here mate.  No fear in these lads.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Re: Swindon Town 1:2 Liverpool [Friendly] Pre, in game & post match debate.
      Reply #264: Aug 02, 2015 05:56:47 pm
      Enjoyed that.  Well played young Reds and I'm confident that Firmino and Benteke will make their mark this season.  I'm really worried for Marko though, he was totally overshadowed by the Academy lads in terms of pace, passing and strength.

Another good win to end an unbeaten pre season.

Thought Lazar was pretty good in the second half in a slightly deeper role played some lovely one touch creative passes.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #265: Aug 02, 2015 05:59:22 pm
      Other than Marko any poor performances?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #266: Aug 02, 2015 06:03:19 pm

Not really, no. I would say though that I can't see Marko featuring too much this season based on that. As Debs says he was overshadowed by the young lads. Ibe and Lallana miles ahead of him in terms of team selection so at least the squad can carry it a little but it's a shame as I'd hoped he would progress this year and that's looking unlikely based on today.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #267: Aug 02, 2015 06:04:13 pm
      Thought Lazar was pretty good in the second half in a slightly deeper role played some lovely one touch creative passes.

My bad mate, I didn't even realise he was still on the pitch after all the subs came on, until he fell over the ball on the half way line.  It seemed to me our play switched from the wings to through the middle after the changes.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #268: Aug 02, 2015 06:05:08 pm
      Thought we played much better today than yesterday. Looks like Firmino will be a hit and Benteke will prove a handful for other teams.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #269: Aug 02, 2015 06:12:49 pm

Not for me mate, Lazar was the stand out poor player.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #270: Aug 02, 2015 06:14:37 pm
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #271: Aug 02, 2015 06:37:08 pm
      How did Firminho do? Any glimpses of what he could offer?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #272: Aug 02, 2015 06:42:43 pm
      How did Firminho do? Any glimpses of what he could offer?

First few minutes linked up beautifully with Lucas, got through on goal and probably should have had a penalty. Took a knock to the shin and I think that rattled him a little bit. He then popped up on the opposite side (right this time) and laid on a bit of a sitter for Benteke who should have finished it off. Tracked back really well and despite looking short of fitness and that bit of match sharpness (a few of his passes were the right angle but just that tad under hit) he looked good.

Not sure he's going to be ready for Stoke simply due to fitness but he isn't so far away that it's a worry, as for what he could offer, plenty of encouraging signs from my point of view.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #273: Aug 02, 2015 06:45:24 pm
      Just finished watching the second half, thought it was a pretty good game overall.

Firmino and Benteke seemed to link up well on a few occasions so that's positive. The game seemed to become a bit livelier when the younger lads like Ojo and Kent came on. For me there can be no question that Sakho should start ahead of Lovren, his passing game is much better too which seems to be how he wants his defenders play. Can must surely be giving the manager a selection headache, thought he caused them quite a few problems today.

Markovic was very poor IMO and will be lucky to get many starts next season at this rate. There were so many occasions when a ball across the box would have resulted in a good opportunity but he struggled to execute them. I wasn't impressed with Lucas either. How many fouls is he going to give away right near our 18 yard box? I must have counted about 5 or 6 that he made today and it's not good enough.

Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #274: Aug 02, 2015 06:46:07 pm
      First few minutes linked up beautifully with Lucas, got through on goal and probably should have had a penalty. Took a knock to the shin and I think that rattled him a little bit. He then popped up on the opposite side (right this time) and laid on a bit of a sitter for Benteke who should have finished it off. Tracked back really well and despite looking short of fitness and that bit of match sharpness (a few of his passes were the right angle but just that tad under hit) he looked good.

Not sure he's going to be ready for Stoke simply due to fitness but he isn't so far away that it's a worry, as for what he could offer, plenty of encouraging signs from my point of view.

Just needs to sharpen up a bit, but it would be good to see him on the bench next week for sure.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #275: Aug 02, 2015 06:47:39 pm
      Just finished watching the second half, thought it was a pretty good game overall.

Firmino and Benteke seemed to link up well on a few occasions so that's positive. The game seemed to become a bit livelier when the younger lads like Ojo and Kent came on. For me there can be no question that Sakho should start ahead of Lovren, his passing game is much better too which seems to be how he wants his defenders play. Can must surely be giving the manager a selection headache, thought he caused them quite a few problems today.

Markovic was very poor IMO and will be lucky to get many starts next season at this rate. There were so many occasions when a ball across the box would have resulted in a good opportunity but he struggled to execute them. I wasn't impressed with Lucas either. How many fouls is he going to give away right near our 18 yard box? I must have counted about 5 or 6 that he made today and it's not good enough.

I have questioned why Lucas is still in the squad. Didn't think he'd still be at the club. Clinging onto him seems Hodgsonesque.

Quick Reply