Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Trent Alexander-Arnold Player Thread (D)

Read 204460 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold Player Thread (D)
      Reply #1104: Aug 07, 2022 08:09:11 pm
      Has he ever been dropped by Klopp?

Just think to myself does he even think he needs to improve defensively because it's not like we've taken him out due to poor performances.

Wow I am speechless at some comments after a draw.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 765 
      Reply #1105: Aug 07, 2022 08:20:49 pm
      A draw is treated like a loss to many supporters, rightly or wrongly !
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,062 posts | 2110 
      Reply #1106: Aug 07, 2022 08:29:58 pm
      It's days like yesterday where you can see why he isn't a penciled in starter for England. 1 of a kind attacking threat,  and in a league of his own in that regard imo. However, not a great defender, and on a day like yesterday, leaves a lot to be desired.

You take the good with the bad,  lucky fur us the good far outweighs the bad

He isn't a pencilled in starter for England because Gareth Southgate is a moron.

Trent isn't half as average a defender as some think he is. Could he have done more against Mitrovic for the opener? For me, I actually don't think so. Mitrovic comes with forward momentum and uses it superbly. It was an excellent and instinctive piece of striker play. Instead, Trent was defined by some terribly slack play - giving the ball away inside 30 seconds, a brainless handball etc. It made for bad viewing for what was a bad day for him. I don't think his attitude was right and that was the case across the whole team yesterday. I think he and the rest of them thought they could turn up, settle and control Fulham quite easily. Comfortably beating City the week before only added to that complacency. And in the end they were left with egg on their faces. Such a rarity to see from this team.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1107: Aug 07, 2022 08:33:04 pm
      Wow I am speechless at some comments after a draw.

I don't think he needs dropping. Just a genuine thought about his position and the competition for it.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1108: Aug 07, 2022 08:33:58 pm

Because in recent years when going up against City a draw is a loss. Not to say the draw was Trent's fault we played bad across the game.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,310 posts | 775 
      Reply #1109: Aug 07, 2022 08:46:14 pm
      It's all context: A top ranked team playing well against us, and we match their effort, nothing in it, could go either way=No complaints
      ........A low ranked team play quite well, putting the effort in, but we don't match their effort=A sense of loss and a missed opportunity.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #1110: Aug 07, 2022 09:34:05 pm
      It's all context: A top ranked team playing well against us, and we match their effort, nothing in it, could go either way=No complaints
      ........A low ranked team play quite well, putting the effort in, but we don't match their effort=A sense of loss and a missed opportunity.

Yep - no beating round the bush on this one, we were crap TAA played a 3/10 game.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6728 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1111: Aug 08, 2022 03:37:46 am
      I don't think he needs dropping. Just a genuine thought about his position and the competition for it.

Not dropping, maybe a haircut?
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,180 posts | 1097 
      Reply #1112: Aug 08, 2022 07:34:10 am
      He isn't a pencilled in starter for England because Gareth Southgate is a moron.

Trent isn't half as average a defender as some think he is. Could he have done more against Mitrovic for the opener? For me, I actually don't think so. Mitrovic comes with forward momentum and uses it superbly. It was an excellent and instinctive piece of striker play. Instead, Trent was defined by some terribly slack play - giving the ball away inside 30 seconds, a brainless handball etc. It made for bad viewing for what was a bad day for him. I don't think his attitude was right and that was the case across the whole team yesterday. I think he and the rest of them thought they could turn up, settle and control Fulham quite easily. Comfortably beating City the week before only added to that complacency. And in the end they were left with egg on their faces. Such a rarity to see from this team.

I'm down with almost all of this. First off,  I watch a lot of Championship, and Fulham were on a lot last year here in the US. Mitrovic is a MOTHER f**ker to play against. He was great last season, and will be way better then his last stint in the prem (he'll he's 2/3s of the way there with 2 goals already). He had VVD looking mortal the other day, Haaland couldn't even do that.

Trent isn't a bad defender, he just isn't a good one. Trent is everything we need him to be, an amazing creative force that sets the tone for our team, and getting back to help the back 4 when needed. Like you said, you deal with him getting beat by a striker in top form as long as he's gmkeeping his end of the bargain. The other day he didn't. He couldn't pass, he couldn't defend, etc. It happens.

He will be fine. He's world class in his department. Form is temporary, class is permanent
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1113: Aug 08, 2022 08:56:01 am
      Trent isn't half as average a defender as some think he is. Could he have done more against Mitrovic for the opener? For me, I actually don't think so. Mitrovic comes with forward momentum and uses it superbly

I agree. Something that is going completely unnoticed with all these pundits and people slating Trent over that goal is the fact that our 3rd goal vs City last week came from Robbo beating Kyle Walker in the air in virtually the same way, only difference being that was for Robbo to get the assist rather than the goal. Walker is phycially bigger and stronger than Robbo, he should never be losing that battle. Where as Trent is nowhere near the bulk and strength of Mitrovic, it doesn't matter what Trent done in that situation, there was only ever going to be 1 winner in that situation and I'd bet even Virgil would've been struggling to deal with that. Yet Trent is getting slated but Walker, the RB who is apparently able to defend didn't get a word mentioned about him.
      Trouble is, people see Trent as an easy target to slate where defending is concerned but over the last year I think his defending has improved massively.

Trent had a piss poor game vs Fulham, but he wasn't any worse than anybody else and the player I think who was more at fault for a goal than Trent in that game is Matip. He literally passed the ball straight to a Fulham player, whilst under no pressure and 10 seconds later they had a penalty.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #1114: Aug 08, 2022 04:07:01 pm
      I agree. Something that is going completely unnoticed with all these pundits and people slating Trent over that goal is the fact that our 3rd goal vs City last week came from Robbo beating Kyle Walker in the air in virtually the same way, only difference being that was for Robbo to get the assist rather than the goal. Walker is phycially bigger and stronger than Robbo, he should never be losing that battle. Where as Trent is nowhere near the bulk and strength of Mitrovic, it doesn't matter what Trent done in that situation, there was only ever going to be 1 winner in that situation and I'd bet even Virgil would've been struggling to deal with that. Yet Trent is getting slated but Walker, the RB who is apparently able to defend didn't get a word mentioned about him.
      Trouble is, people see Trent as an easy target to slate where defending is concerned but over the last year I think his defending has improved massively.

Trent had a piss poor game vs Fulham, but he wasn't any worse than anybody else and the player I think who was more at fault for a goal than Trent in that game is Matip. He literally passed the ball straight to a Fulham player, whilst under no pressure and 10 seconds later they had a penalty.

Key thing was they he just never showed Amy intent to meet the ball . Yes the other guy is stronger but his feet hardly left the ground got to make it as difficult as possible even back in but he did neither and will be targeted even more hence why he hung back on him rather than chance his arm in the middle
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1115: Aug 08, 2022 04:08:32 pm
      Trent was crap along with most of the team. thats it.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #1116: Aug 08, 2022 05:08:23 pm
      I didnt see the game and I never watch recording or highlights if we dont win but the level of interest Trent has aquired after one game is just way OTT. Even Glen Hoddle is offering his words of wisdom. I suspect Slab head made a lot more mistakes than Trent saturday but not much talk about the England man
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #1117: Aug 08, 2022 05:09:52 pm
      Trent was crap along with most of the team. thats it.

imagine being in a job where one mistake get a load of crap thrown at you regardless of how important you have been over many years.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,310 posts | 775 
      Reply #1118: Aug 08, 2022 05:24:20 pm
      I didnt see the game and I never watch recording or highlights if we dont win but the level of interest Trent has aquired after one game is just way OTT. Even Glen Hoddle is offering his words of wisdom. I suspect Slab head made a lot more mistakes than Trent saturday but not much talk about the England man
      I watched it live on BT...The whole team stank the gaff out, Trent for me no worse than anyone else. Some of them were dogs sh*t, some of them were cat sh*t....There's no good sh*t!......... The important thing to remember is they win together, they lose together.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1119: Aug 09, 2022 08:56:10 am
      imagine being in a job where one mistake get a load of crap thrown at you regardless of how important you have been over many years.

Way of the modern social media football fan mate. :(
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #1120: Aug 09, 2022 10:26:25 am
      Way of the modern social media football fan mate. :(

Pity some dont remember the YNWA bit about supporting the lads.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1121: Aug 09, 2022 11:00:41 am
      Pity some dont remember the YNWA bit about supporting the lads.

Indeed.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #1122: Aug 22, 2022 10:31:00 pm
      We need to talk about Trent... it's gone to his head.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #1123: Aug 22, 2022 10:35:13 pm
      We need to talk about Trent... it's gone to his head.

Possibly.

Lack of competition and break also a factor I'd suggest.

Issue is he hasn't shown anything going forward this season that all other bog standard RB cant do.

Where is the drift into midfield playmaker??

And I'll defend to the hilt that he's a good defender but he's been dire in that department as well this season.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1124: Aug 22, 2022 10:40:12 pm
      Possibly.

Lack of competition and break also a factor I'd suggest.

Issue is he hasn't shown anything going forward this season that all other bog standard RB cant do.

Where is the drift into midfield playmaker??

And I'll defend to the hilt that he's a good defender but he's been dire in that department as well this season.

Seems to be playing a slightly different role where he comes in field a lot more, meaning he doesn’t link up with Mo as much and is a lot more likely to be bypassed with ball over the top.
      That needs tweaking as we don’t seem t9 have the legs in midfield to cover for him at the moment.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #1125: Aug 22, 2022 10:45:50 pm
      He'll get a break once Ramsey fit - that kid can  play.

Meantime. Simple facts - this is the worst  form of his LFC career. Wasteful on the ball and defensively negligent.....
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #1126: Aug 22, 2022 10:51:43 pm
      He'll get a break once Ramsey fit - that kid can  play.

Meantime. Simple facts - this is the worst  form of his LFC career. Wasteful on the ball and defensively negligent.....

Yea nor sugar coating it. He's been dreadful.

You'll know a bit about Ramsey mate. How much of an upgrade on Neco is he?

Quick Reply