Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Trent Alexander-Arnold Player Thread (D)

Read 196945 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold Player Thread
      Reply #115: Sep 10, 2017 12:07:09 am
      Watching MOTD just reminded me what a shocker defensively TAA had today but it also highlighted that every game I have seen him up against a decent attacker he has been absolutely rinsed.

He is no doubt a huge talent but the ask on him against talented grown up attackers is not doing him any favours.

Just watching him play I'm not sure he is a defender I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in midfield eventually because defensively he is as bad as Moreno.

In future for his sake I hope Klopp picks him against the defensive sides where we are going to be on top for the majority of the game.

Every game , you mean about 3 or 4, another one for the knee jerk thread
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #116: Sep 10, 2017 12:14:07 am
      Every game , you mean about 3 or 4, another one for the knee jerk thread

No I mean every senior game he has played.
      Not too difficult to understand.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #117: Sep 10, 2017 12:17:33 am
      Looked well out of depth today.

Poor kid, great potential but being placed up against Mendy and De Bruyne at times was brutal.

Shows how under appreciated Clyne is defensively in that position.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #118: Sep 10, 2017 12:27:42 am
      Looked well out of depth today.

Poor kid, great potential but being placed up against Mendy and De Bruyne at times was brutal.

Shows how under appreciated Clyne is defensively in that position.

Have to laugh how opinions swing one week to the next, clyne and lovren slated week in week out and now when we lose without them we need them back
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #119: Sep 10, 2017 12:52:10 am
      No I mean every senior game he has played.
      Not too difficult to understand.

Make your.mind up, every single senior game or every time he has played against a decent attacker  , not too difficult to understand for you is it ?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #120: Sep 10, 2017 12:57:24 am
      Make your.mind up, every single game or every time he has played against a topclass opponent , not too difficult to understand for you is it ?

Not sure what point scoring you are trying to achieve.

But just for you in plain English, against every decent attacker in a senior game he has played he has been rinsed.

Need any more info?

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #121: Sep 10, 2017 01:08:14 am
      Not sure what point scoring you are trying to achieve.

But just for you in plain English, against every decent attacker in a senior game he has played he has been rinsed.

Need any more info?

Not trying to score points , just trying to work out what you meant, as you seem to have a problem understanding a straight forward question
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #122: Sep 10, 2017 02:53:10 am
      Have to laugh how opinions swing one week to the next, clyne and lovren slated week in week out and now when we lose without them we need them back

I only went on his performance and tbf he had a 'mare.

That said, I'm not one of the Clyne knockers FATKOPITE, I don't use TAA presence in the team to knock Clyne. I've always rated him defensively and believe he is even under appreciated in this department. It's his attack game that badly lets him down.

It's a bit of a conundrum really. TAA and Gomez have by and large done a fabulous job but yesterday that greenness and inexperience was again highlighted against quality opposition. And it's times like that when we needed the know-how to steady ourselves.

As for Lovren, you've got me. But then again what a choice we're blessed with, Klavan or Lovren.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #123: Sep 10, 2017 07:36:16 am
      I always said that my prefer is Gomez against better sides because he is a better defender and can cover for the central defense as well.

Trent should be played against 'lesser sides because he is a better footballer than Joe.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #124: Sep 10, 2017 11:13:55 am
      The ideal situation is for clyne to be fit so joe and especially trent can be eased in and out so an experienced back up is key, agreed on the merits of both joe an trent
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #125: Sep 10, 2017 12:04:51 pm
      You learn from your mistakes, no point dropping the kid and kill his confidence after the whole team we're pretty crap after the sending off.

Preserve with Trent and he will get better with the responsibility on him..
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #126: Sep 10, 2017 02:19:23 pm
      We shouldn't be throwing this kid out with the bathwater. Obviously those who've been telling us for months that "he's already way better than Clyne" were being a bit premature (to be kind), but we knew that anyway. There's a good chance IMHO that he will be in time though, he's an excellent prospect.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #127: Sep 10, 2017 02:36:59 pm
      You learn from your mistakes, no point dropping the kid and kill his confidence after the whole team we're pretty crap after the sending off.

Too right.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #128: Sep 10, 2017 03:18:16 pm

Exactly mate, it was a brutal game for him but he had very little help whatsoever. In my opinion none of our midfielders or Salah covered themselves in glory in that sense.

What I would say though is that any RB, when left isolated is going to get rinsed time and again by KDB and Mendy, especially the former who I have said for a while is one of the very best players in the entire league. He is absolute pure quality and the 'education' that Trent will have received from this will pay off in time.

I find it funny that people are talking up Clyne on the back of this though, I've seen him get rinsed time and again too and have horror shows back there, it's funny because it happens with so many players that time out of the first team makes them seem better, it's simply not true. In my opinion Jürgen will have more issues with Trent's team-mates for not getting their positioning right and allowing the overloads on that side to happen than he will in Trent getting beaten 1v1. Of course you've got to win your duels but if you look at his stats he won 6 out of 8, that, for a lad getting slated as much as he is tells me that people's attention was drawn far more to the 2 times than it was to the 6. He was poor, but in a game where our entire defence was very poor I think singling out the junior member who actually tried to stand up and be counted is harsh in the extreme.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #129: Sep 10, 2017 03:26:56 pm
      He had a bad game but so did everyone else, there isn't 1 player that performed to an expected standard. TAA is getting a bit of flack but some players like Matip almost get a completely free pass. TAA doesn't deserve to be starting he next game based on yesterday but then neither does anyone else.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #130: Sep 11, 2017 02:35:49 am

Agree to a point, unless it was a fitness issue I thought it was a bit harsh dropping Gomez after the Arsenal performance.

Wouldn't lay any blame on TAA as whole team were culpable in one form or another.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #131: Sep 11, 2017 04:17:06 am
      He's 17?! He was playing against a Man City squad that had 11 top drawer players, we only had 10 for over half the game. If he had given them a bath I would be touting him as the next Beckenbauer. As you lot say, 'give your heads a wobble'.

On another note, Klavan is very big. Unfortunately that seems to be his best attribute.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #132: Sep 11, 2017 09:49:16 am
      I don't think anyone is seriously knocking the kid to be honest (it's obvious he has the potential to be a special player), more a case of people saying those that thought he's miles better than Clyne were probably being a bit hasty.

I always said that my prefer is Gomez against better sides because he is a better defender and can cover for the central defense as well.

Trent should be played against 'lesser sides because he is a better footballer than Joe.

Spot on for me this. Not sure where I read it but I think Klopp said that Gomez would have played on Saturday if he didn't come back tired from international duty.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #133: Sep 11, 2017 10:52:48 am
      I don't think anyone is seriously knocking the kid to be honest (it's obvious he has the potential to be a special player), more a case of people saying those that thought he's miles better than Clyne were probably being a bit hasty.

Spot on for me this. Not sure where I read it but I think Klopp said that Gomez would have played on Saturday if he didn't come back tired from international duty.

Good post and so was the one you quoted.

Think Gomez has looked right at home at RB. I saw him in pre-season at CB and although rustiness may have been a mitigating factor he didn't look entirely convincing there IMHO. I know by trade he is a CB but since he's played at RB he has come-on more and this will be a good learning curve for when/if he transitions to CB. Think it will do him some real good playing RB for a while.

Concerning TAA, some seem to be looking for a point that isn't there; you're right nobody has knocked the 'kid'. We can all see his potential, some were just premature in their hasty-ness to right Clyne off and get the 'I told you so' in early. TAA's display on Saturday served as a reminder to them more than anyone to keep their feet on the ground before trying prophesice the coming of TAA and the end of Clyne.

Like Clint said he's got more in his locker than Gomez as a footballer, and while he's almost reminiscent of a young Steven Gerrard at fullback, similarly to Gerrard I think TAA has the tools to eventually play elsewhere in the team. Whether Klopp believes this or not I don't know, he may see him as the eventual long term replacement of Clyne.   
      « Last Edit: Sep 11, 2017 11:00:48 am by Beerbelly »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #134: Sep 11, 2017 11:12:50 am
      Few things impacted hm on Saturday not just his age.

The midfield were non existent and Salah so advanced that he was really struggling to get the ball productively out of his hands in first 15 mins......it became painful and I think he just froze.

Whilst age is a factor there it's less so than experience......what the f**k do you do when there's no damn throw available?

That, to me, seemed to get into his head and he looked like he was battling his own thought processes for a while whether ball in hand or at feet......He seemed to be constantly debating with himself whether to rush (because ref had by now had a word and the City fans were on him) or stick to his instincts and teachings and retain the ball.

Consequently he looked very vulnerable on the ball and constantly in no-man's land when not in possession.

Klopp has made the point about his positioning / concentration out of possession before and he was miles off all day.

That said I'd still be inclined to keep him in for Wednesday - he'll never be more alert than after that........and we are at home and (should be) attacking aggressively.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #135: Sep 12, 2017 01:01:09 am

I thought with Gomez, Clyne, TAA and Robertson we are now looking ok. Anyone of those could go on with it. TAA can look so composed for such a young player. Except against City its going to be difficult with 11, and at one point the camera panned on TAA and you realise he is a boy really. He hasn't filled out and can get muscled off it. Klavan on the other hand has none of TAA's ability but has the strength of a Yeti.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #136: Sep 12, 2017 04:47:12 am
      Few things impacted hm on Saturday not just his age.

The midfield were non existent and Salah so advanced that he was really struggling to get the ball productively out of his hands in first 15 mins......it became painful and I think he just froze.

Whilst age is a factor there it's less so than experience......what the f**k do you do when there's no damn throw available?

That, to me, seemed to get into his head and he looked like he was battling his own thought processes for a while whether ball in hand or at feet......He seemed to be constantly debating with himself whether to rush (because ref had by now had a word and the City fans were on him) or stick to his instincts and teachings and retain the ball.

Consequently he looked very vulnerable on the ball and constantly in no-man's land when not in possession.

Klopp has made the point about his positioning / concentration out of possession before and he was miles off all day.

That said I'd still be inclined to keep him in for Wednesday - he'll never be more alert than after that........and we are at home and (should be) attacking aggressively.

Agreed, but with that said I would like to sit him Wednesday and play Joe just because of what you said. If we are attacking more than the threat of the counter is there for Sevilla. Joe is better set up for the counter IMO. If we struggle to create than maybe sub him in, but I like the idea of Joe for defensive insurance. After what happen last time I want the best defensive fullbacks we have on the pitch with their heads on a swivel.  :)
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #137: Sep 12, 2017 08:30:06 am
      He will learn far more from poor performances and difficult situations than being part of a solid back 5 and plaudits.
      With TAA, I think about the long term and klopp has so far dealt with the youngsters pretty well. Knowing when to play and when to bench.
      All of this adds to him becoming a better player in years to come because he has all the attributes to go on and be a top player for us for years to come

Quick Reply