Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Trent Alexander-Arnold Player Thread (D)

Read 196682 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold Player Thread (D)
      Reply #1380: Mar 21, 2023 08:36:58 am
      Gomez is actually more than adequate cover for Trent as well.

The problem with Trent this season is the team as a whole is so disjointed and a full back who plays the way he does is going to be even more isolated and highlighted when he's not in good form himself.

What we need for a while is a solid up and down RB who can deliver a decent enough pass when needed and Joe has done that in the past for us.
      Smitty80sbaby
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 113 posts | 25 
      Reply #1381: Mar 21, 2023 11:16:17 am
      Gomez is actually more than adequate cover for Trent as well.

The problem with Trent this season is the team as a whole is so disjointed and a full back who plays the way he does is going to be even more isolated and highlighted when he's not in good form himself.

What we need for a while is a solid up and down RB who can deliver a decent enough pass when needed and Joe has done that in the past for us.

Gomez is a car crash at any postion. We shouldn't look to fill holes with square pegs. We should be signing competition for Trent. I personally am of the opinion Trent peaked early and it got to his head. Best rb in the world talk and look what happened to him after that comment
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1382: Mar 21, 2023 12:35:05 pm
      Gomez is a car crash at any postion. We shouldn't look to fill holes with square pegs. We should be signing competition for Trent. I personally am of the opinion Trent peaked early and it got to his head. Best rb in the world talk and look what happened to him after that comment

Sorry, you are smoking dog turds.

Trent is still one of the top 5 best RBs in the world.

If he was put on the transfer list today he'd be at Real Madrid, Bayern or another huge club by morning.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1383: Mar 21, 2023 02:16:42 pm
      Sorry, you are smoking dog turds.

Trent is still one of the top 5 best RBs in the world.

If he was put on the transfer list today he'd be at Real Madrid, Bayern or another huge club by morning.

I donā€™t know about smoking dog turd but youā€™re certainly eating it stating heā€™s top 5 in the world on this seasons form. He was one of the best but wouldnā€™t even make top 10 on this years form. Take the tints off. 😎
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 80 
      Reply #1384: Mar 21, 2023 04:23:39 pm
      When judging how good a RB is you firstly have to consider how good they are defensively (you look back to your Cafu's Zanetti's Alves' Thuram's Lahm's)......Trent is a very unique player because he's been brought up to play a position that doesn't really suit him but in the system under Klopp has also brought out the best of his ability.

Trent has been exposed massively defensively this season when there isn't a prime Virg or energetic Hendo around to cover his position.....in 1 on 1 situations & tracking back he's shown many times to be very lazy....we know what he brings to the table offensively and he's still 1 of our most creative players if no the most.

Top 5 RB's in the world? It's debateable. Hakimi is certainly up there, as is Carvajhal, as are Di Lorenzo. Molina & Walker.

James & Dumfries were probably there or thereabouts until this season.

Offensively Trent is only behind Hakimi, defensively you could say he's behind all of them.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 790 posts | 273 
      Reply #1385: Mar 21, 2023 08:31:09 pm
      I donā€™t know about smoking dog turd but youā€™re certainly eating it stating heā€™s top 5 in the world on this seasons form. He was one of the best but wouldnā€™t even make top 10 on this years form. Take the tints off. 😎

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Trent is having a bad season, this is partly due to the team having a big drop in standards but it's partly his own fault due to attitude, confidence and some other reasons.
      But he's 24 years old and is approaching 200 appearances for the club. If he can sort himself out he can have a long career and can probably play more games than Stevie G ( I'm not claiming he's a better player than Stevie). He's not been 1 of the top 5 RB in the world this season but he has been 1 of the best over the last 4-5 years.

We'd be crazy to replace him. He's playing in a Klopp team so will always get exposed 1v1 against very good players because we play attacking football. He contributes a lot to our attacking play which is important to our style of play.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1386: Mar 21, 2023 09:37:45 pm
      Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Trent is having a bad season, this is partly due to the team having a big drop in standards but it's partly his own fault due to attitude, confidence and some other reasons.
      But he's 24 years old and is approaching 200 appearances for the club. If he can sort himself out he can have a long career and can probably play more games than Stevie G ( I'm not claiming he's a better player than Stevie). He's not been 1 of the top 5 RB in the world this season but he has been 1 of the best over the last 4-5 years.

We'd be crazy to replace him. He's playing in a Klopp team so will always get exposed 1v1 against very good players because we play attacking football. He contributes a lot to our attacking play which is important to our style of play.

No doubting his class when heā€™s on it ( apart from defensively ) but Iā€™d be worried heā€™s been bad for a while now. At the moment heā€™s permanently bad like a few of your players. When a numpty state heā€™s in the top 5 in the world they just make themselves look stupid.  I agree at his best heā€™s up there though.

We had a similar thing with Rashford, yes I know different position but he also went off the boil for a while but his problems were pretty transparent with what was going on off the field along with bad manager. Look at him now.

With Trent I canā€™t put my finger on it apart from what fans/social media say. I just donā€™t know why heā€™s under performed this year.  Yeah I also donā€™t think you should replace him and deserves his chance to turn things around. I would bench him though or change his role in the team but with the former thatā€™s no one to really take his place hence why you need many transfer targets which as we know with FSG not easy.

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #1387: Mar 22, 2023 06:30:32 am
      No doubting his class when heā€™s on it ( apart from defensively ) but Iā€™d be worried heā€™s been bad for a while now. At the moment heā€™s permanently bad like a few of your players. When a numpty state heā€™s in the top 5 in the world they just make themselves look stupid.  I agree at his best heā€™s up there though.

We had a similar thing with Rashford, yes I know different position but he also went off the boil for a while but his problems were pretty transparent with what was going on off the field along with bad manager. Look at him now.

With Trent I canā€™t put my finger on it apart from what fans/social media say. I just donā€™t know why heā€™s under performed this year.  Yeah I also donā€™t think you should replace him and deserves his chance to turn things around. I would bench him though or change his role in the team but with the former thatā€™s no one to really take his place hence why you need many transfer targets which as we know with FSG not easy.

Mostly because the team is playing badly and we're not having the ball the same amount as before. We lost that X-factor.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1388: Mar 22, 2023 08:39:21 am
      Mostly because the team is playing badly and we're not having the ball the same amount as before. We lost that X-factor.

Certainly one of the reasons as moral seems low in the camp.
      Smitty80sbaby
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 113 posts | 25 
      Reply #1389: Mar 24, 2023 01:52:50 am
      This guy needs competition badly
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1390: Mar 25, 2023 07:36:31 pm

Thing is till you get your midfield sorted out I canā€™t see things changing. Whereas before you had the likes  of Henderson & Wijnaldum who could drop back when Trent went forward is no longer the case and thatā€™s why you now haves holes in the back. Trent needs cover and no longer has it and is being found out presently.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #1391: Mar 25, 2023 07:40:02 pm
      Thing is till you get your midfield sorted out I canā€™t see things changing. Whereas before you had the likes  of Henderson & Wijnaldum who could drop back when Trent went forward is no longer the case and thatā€™s why you now haves holes in the back. Trent needs cover and no longer has it and is being found out presently.

TAA was also covered by VVD or Gomez as well because of their pace but thatā€™s been off this season as well
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1392: Mar 25, 2023 08:11:01 pm
      Read and heard this theory that his career is heading the same way as dele alli. Absolute load of bollocks.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #1393: Mar 27, 2023 07:23:47 pm
      Read and heard this theory that his career is heading the same way as dele alli. Absolute load of bollocks.

Off the pitch for sure not.

He is loved at Lfc more than what the media give him.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1394: Mar 28, 2023 12:33:04 pm
      Two fresh midfielders that can cover him when he's up the pitch and this discussion fades away pretty quickly.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1395: Mar 28, 2023 03:48:00 pm
      Two fresh midfielders that can cover him when he's up the pitch and this discussion fades away pretty quickly.

His issues at the moment are not about him being caught up the field. His 1 v 1 and general defending has deteriorated to the extent where if there was a viable alternative he would be sitting on the bench.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1396: Mar 28, 2023 10:53:38 pm
      His issues at the moment are not about him being caught up the field. His 1 v 1 and general defending has deteriorated to the extent where if there was a viable alternative he would be sitting on the bench.

I know where his issues are.
      Theyā€™re why he stopped competing v Vinicius Jr after being sent the wrong way three times.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1397: Mar 30, 2023 11:56:54 am
      [Paul Joyce]
      How Trent Alexander-Arnold is fighting back in bid to turn form around
      The right back, whose performances this season have been under the microscope, has got his head down as he looks to get back to the level fans know he is capable of

The easiest thing for Trent Alexander-Arnold to do would have been to disappear and forget about everything.

Liverpoolā€™s limp Champions League exit against Real Madrid two weeks ago was still raw when a brief telephone call from Gareth Southgate compounded the defenderā€™s woes, confirming that he would be excluded from his England squad. A difficult season, one which has been problematic for everyone at Anfield, not just its homegrown star, had reached a new low.

Yet it is what happened next which should buoy Liverpool supporters. And not simply that Alexander-Arnold spent the Sunday night after the Real game in the company of Jude Bellingham as they hung out together and attended a Chris Brown concert in London.

Instead of taking up the offer of a week off now that Englandā€™s fixtures with Italy and Ukraine were not on the agenda, Alexander-Arnold reported to Liverpoolā€™s AXA training ground and got his head down. The focus was on fitness, strength and conditioning as he trained under the watchful eye of the first-team coach Dr Conall Murtagh.

It was not the action of someone who doesnā€™t care or whose enthusiasm has waned after winning everything he can at club level. Rather, someone who knows there have been times when he has not been on top of his game and is determined to perform with the verve which prompted the Liverpool manager JĆ¼rgen Klopp to laud him as the best right back in the world.

Alexander-Arnold has, more recently, had to grow accustomed to criticism over his defensive aptitude, with the first real bump in his career path coinciding with the collective dip which leaves Liverpool struggling to qualify for the Champions League.

He knows there will be times he is left one-on-one and that he must improve in that area by displaying the intensity and positive body language that will enable him to be more consistent. To that end, the 24-year-old has worked on his defending, though the schedule of three games a week often restricts the amount of time he, and team-mates-turned-opponents, can stay on the training pitch after a normal session. That will be less of an issue now, of course.

Confidence has been affected which is why having a break would have been advocated by some, especially given the punishing mental and physical schedule he has faced since becoming a first-team regular in 2017-18 and being a standard-bearer.

In 2022-23 only Alisson and Mohamed Salah have played more minutes for Liverpool in all competitions, while last season he had the third-highest number of minutes (4,235), playing 74 per cent of all minutes possible. Only Alisson and Virgil van Dijk featured more.

Where his playing time resonates is when compared to those players, Kyle Walker, Kieran Trippier and Reece James, whom he has fallen behind in the pecking order with England. Over the past four seasons, James has played the equivalent of 52 fewer club matches than Alexander-Arnold, Walker 41 and Trippier 49.

Still, Alexander-Arnold felt he had a break after the World Cup in Qatar. He had enjoyed the tournament, spending time with clubmate Jordan Henderson, Bellingham and the Arsenal goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale, who is one of his closest friends in football with the duo having been room-mates in Englandā€™s junior ranks. The 33 minutes he was afforded against Wales in the group stage kept him feeling involved notwithstanding he wanted to play more often.

At first glance, it appears an injury to others is now required for him to return to the squad though.

Klopp is on record as stating Liverpoolā€™s malaise has affected too many members of his squad and Van Dijk, Henderson and Fabinho are among those who will feel scrutiny has fallen on them, too, on occasions. But, as a result of the standards set in previous seasons, there has been a forensic dissection of Alexander-Arnoldā€™s displays.

The headline numbers which had framed his heady rise are not there this term. There have been two assists so far in the Premier League compared to 12 last season, but that stops short of painting the true picture.

His big-chance creation is actually higher than in any campaign since 2018-19, which highlights how one of the main issues for Klopp has been the profligacy of the forwards who have spurned the opportunity to make games more straightforward.

Liverpool have ended up having to do more defending and attention has, therefore, been paid to the other aspects of Alexander-Arnoldā€™s game.

The defeat at the Bernabeu would show his good, bad and indifferent sides. Watching the 90 minutes back, the statistic proclaiming he was dribbled past six times is misleading. He was beaten by Vinicius Jr by the touchline in the first half, but the winger then turned back towards his own goal before giving away a foul on Salah.

Luka Modric would later lift a ball over Alexander-Arnoldā€™s head and cross for Federico Valverde as Liverpool survived a scare in the second half. However, sometimes an opponent would run in-field past the full back and straight into Ibrahima KonatĆ© or another team-mate.

The idea Alexander-Arnold cannot defend has taken hold, but that, too, is wrong. In the 56th minute, with the second leg goalless, he was alert and produced an excellent covering tackle to block Karim Benzemaā€™s effort, while in the recent game against Manchester United there was a recovery run with Liverpool four goals into their 7-0 success to thwart Marcus Rashford, who has proved his nemesis in the past.

It is just that, at times, Alexander-Arnold can switch off as was seen with Benzemaā€™s 78th-minute winning goal. Yet, as an outfield unit, Liverpool had disconnected at that point with hopes of a stunning comeback given their 5-2 first-leg deficit having long since vanished.

There is no pressure as the move begins with a throw-in on Realā€™s left and the Spaniards proceed to make 17 passes, with Alexander-Arnold, at one point, finding Toni Kroos, Benzema and Vinicius Jr around him.

That should not happen under Klopp. He does not want the full backs to be left one-on-one, never mind one on three, as the assistant manager Pepijn Lijnders explained to The Times last season. Lijnders had been asked whether Alexander-Arnold was expected to do too much for the team, stepping into a creative No 8 role one moment but defending in the next.

ā€œWe defend with the whole team ā€” everyone is responsible for defending,ā€ Lijnders said. ā€œIf a defender only gets judged on one-versus-one situations in big spaces, the football world is just looking back in time instead of into the future.ā€

However, despite Liverpoolā€™s struggles, there has been no significant move to ease his attacking workload and concentrate solely on defending, for example.

There will be moments over the coming 11 days ā€” Manchester City (away), Chelsea (away), Arsenal (home) ā€” when Liverpool and Alexander-Arnold will have to suffer once again. Coming out the other side better will provide evidence of progress for both.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #1398: Mar 30, 2023 12:00:45 pm
      I know where his issues are.
      Theyā€™re why he stopped competing v Vinicius Jr after being sent the wrong way three times.

If true, shame.

Hereā€™s me chance - ā€œHow can that be? Youā€™re a professional Trent, donā€™t give me this sh*te on giving up at world class level.ā€
      Crunchycrisps
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts | 85 
      Reply #1399: Mar 31, 2023 05:31:23 am
      I kind of don't get this, someone with tricks gets something over the other in two games then that's it in concrete oh look someone got did, it's sport, a game and it can happen. Trent is looking too  Mr cool these days, get your game back in order, he is I was going to say resting on his laurels but no he's acting like oh I've done it all now so I don't even have to try, some of the best football, you know passing using the ball that type of actual football has come from ar Trent in this weird season, he's not going to be my scapegoat, Robbo has been worse than Trent this season such a mess but never mentioned, why??.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #1400: Apr 01, 2023 02:25:45 pm
      Certainly talented enough to play for this great club, but his attitude isn't. His attitude and spirit is weaker than pond water.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1401: Apr 01, 2023 02:34:44 pm
      9 games with F**k all to play for!

Either drop him to the bench or get him F***ing trained in the midfield.

Do something with him coz heā€™s a sh*t right back with a good pass and an occasional ripper free kick but thatā€™s all he is. He ainā€™t no F***ing defender! 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1402: Apr 01, 2023 02:35:54 pm
      He's far from alone and I still do t get what he seems to get more stick than others.

Virgil

Robbo

Fabinho

Henderson

I could go on and on but to a man have been sh*te this season.

Quick Reply